Vibes please. Pretty please!

C1airey

Visit site
Shameless begging for some famous HHO vibes. I made the unforgivable mistake of commenting on how absolutely spanking my horse looked cantering up the field on Thursday evening. Consequently, on Friday morning he was on three legs.

The Boy has been, to the surprise of all who know him, a very good sport about standing with his foot in a bucket of water whilst his mother mutters very many unrepeatable things interspersed with the screech of gaffer tape.

If I could be so bold as to ask you all to pray for a stinking pus-filled nappy to greet me tonight, I’d be most grateful.

Last edited:

PurBee

Visit site
Top tip: Never, ever mention in a supermarket that you need nappies for your horse...

????

The only time ive ever bought nappies is for a horse!

Apparently monkey owners have to 24/7 nappy their pets, due to them being ever untrainable to poop in a specific place ?

C1airey

Visit site
Depressingly clean nappy tonight. However, interesting bruise appearing at toe. He reacted to pincers halfway up the side of his frog and is generally reluctant to put any weight on the heel.

Who knows what is going on in there ?‍♀️

racebuddy

Visit site
Does he have shoes on ? Just a thought as mine had a bad bruise and was on three legs vets and farrier quickly assessed and the decision was made to get shoes back on him , xxx

C1airey

Visit site
Does he have shoes on ? Just a thought as mine had a bad bruise and was on three legs vets and farrier quickly assessed and the decision was made to get shoes back on him , xxx
Yep, he’s shod all round. Obv. at the moment, he’s only sporting three of them.

C1airey

Visit site
Keep dancing*, peeps. Nothing so far, but he is even more lame, so hopefully it’ll pop soon. He’s still being a trooper: I left him standing in a bucket tonight while I filled haynets.

*It should be noted that The Boy did do his own pus dance this morning when turned out in the invalid paddock. Turns out he can still throw shapes, even on 3 legs.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Keep dancing*, peeps. Nothing so far, but he is even more lame, so hopefully it’ll pop soon. He’s still being a trooper: I left him standing in a bucket tonight while I filled haynets.

*It should be noted that The Boy did do his own pus dance this morning when turned out in the invalid paddock. Turns out he can still throw shapes, even on 3 legs.
Hoping for pus for you yoo

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh heck. I hope that pus soon appears.

Last Sunday (a week ago) I thinking how freely my IDx mare was moving in front during one of her periodic breaks from Danilon (she has Danilon for her bilateral hock arthritis). On Monday she was on 3 legs, holding up her off fore. I poulticed and some gunk came out but I can’t find the hole, and the farrier can‘t find it either, though we suspect the toe area... She’s sound again now, but today is the first day without a poultice, I‘m worrying that maybe I’ve taken it off too soon and she’ll go lame again.

Horses, who’d have ‘em.

SEL

Visit site
Farrier did say that he’s had a couple recently with really deep abscesses, so I’m still hopeful for a gooey resolution.

This is a horse with history though (a £1 last-chancer): he has one good leg left, and it’s currently got a nappy taped to the end of it.

Hang on in there. I thought I was going to have to make 'that call' right at the beginning of lock down. Horribly lame on his bad leg and danilon wasn't touching it. All the vets I like using were having to self isolate and it was incredibly stressful. Then half his hoof cracked off and the relief was immediate - infection must have tracked right up.

C1airey

Visit site
Hang on in there. I thought I was going to have to make 'that call' right at the beginning of lock down. Horribly lame on his bad leg and danilon wasn't touching it. All the vets I like using were having to self isolate and it was incredibly stressful. Then half his hoof cracked off and the relief was immediate - infection must have tracked right up.
This gives me hope. Was there any indication of anything at all from the appearance of the hoof? Farrier has had a second dig and still nothing. Didn’t even react to the pincers this time, but still dog lame.

Vet is going to x-ray tomorrow to check that we’re not trying to fix the unfixable with nappies and duct tape.

SEL

Visit site
This gives me hope. Was there any indication of anything at all from the appearance of the hoof? Farrier has had a second dig and still nothing. Didn’t even react to the pincers this time, but still dog lame.

Vet is going to x-ray tomorrow to check that we’re not trying to fix the unfixable with nappies and duct tape.

His white line was pretty stretched on that foot but no obvious black mark and didn't react to hoof testers. He really was uncomfortable with me handling the hoof but I couldn't find any obvious heat (heavy feathers didn't help). I did keep thinking if the danilon wasn't helping it was either catastrophic or an abscess.

A week before and I'd have had an x ray but that first lockdown week was very bad timing! Let's hope you find pus

C1airey

Visit site
A week before and I'd have had an x ray but that first lockdown week was very bad timing! Let's hope you find pus

That sounds like a special kind of hell, I’m so glad for you that it was an abscess! That’s exactly the opinion of everyone involved here: catastrophic or an abscess. He doesn’t have feathers, so can get an accurate feel. Up to the fetlock is a bit puffy, the hoof is warmer than the others and there’s a pulse. I can’t compare the leg to the other hind as the other one has ringbone - if they look the same then he’s properly buggered!

Roll on tomorrow. I just want to know now, one way or the other ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Horse next to mine had a swollen hind, dog lame, not weight bearing, farrier was convinced it was a bony issue. Vet came out and declared a deep tracking abscess. No pus came out last time but she’s re-poulticed. I’m tempted to take the Black and Decker up. When mine had one, the vet literally drilled it open at the back of the hoof, instant relief, plus leaked out.

C1airey

Visit site
Horse next to mine had a swollen hind, dog lame, not weight bearing, farrier was convinced it was a bony issue. Vet came out and declared a deep tracking abscess. No pus came out last time but she’s re-poulticed. I’m tempted to take the Black and Decker up. When mine had one, the vet literally drilled it open at the back of the hoof, instant relief, plus leaked out.

That’s encouraging, thank you!

*packs drill*