Victoria Pendleton to train as a jockey

starr_g

Visit site
"UK cycling currently has a bright clean image and there is more support for the athletes, but the track cyclists seem to last for one or two seasons and then their lights go out."

Sir Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins (aiming for Rio back on the track), Jason Kenny as well as VP have lasted a lot longer than one or two seasons. Just the ones that pop to mind and there are be more that have lasted more than one or two seasons.

Good luck to her. It will be interesting to see what happens.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Lévrier;12838847 said:
Yes I am well aware of that- not 'all' of them resort to self harm when the pressure of competing gets too much for them though.....

not that you know about. Besides there's self harm and there's fighting, drinking, drug use, womanising, suicide, tax evasion :p and being ar5es-and I've known jockeys do all of that, how is that better? I've only known flat jockeys but if you're under the belief that they are all the very definition of perfect athletes and sportsmen then you'd be wrong.

{97702}

Visit site
Wherever did I say that jockeys are the very definition of perfect athletes? Genuinely confused where that came from... I was simply saying that in my opinion VP is not that mentally tough at times. I'm sure I wouldnt be in her position either...

Mariposa

Visit site
Good for her! And good for racing! Of course I'm greeneyed as I'd love to have a crack at race riding, but I think this is good for the sport's profile and I look forward to watching the documentary that will undoubtedly follow! She might not be a good dancer, but that doesn't mean she won't be able to ride. Good luck to her!

HashRouge

Visit site
As for getting a knighthood for "services to the sport", now that rankles, they got it because of their Olympic medals., it was the people who put them there who gave their services to the sport.
Hang on, the athlete might have a good support network around them but they are still the one who has to keep going no matter how hard it is, to train in all weathers pretty much every day of the year, to face the pressure and the public scrutiny...it's not like they just sit in a chair all day long while their team does all the work! Plus, I've always considered awards for "services to the sport" take in how much enjoyment an athlete has given to the general public through their achievements. Goodness knows most people would agree that they loved watching Bradley Wiggins, Chris Hoy, Kelly Holmes et al win their medals/ awards - sporting achievements like that can really "lift" the national mood, it's no mean feat!

As for VP, I'm not her biggest fan but I respect her as an athlete. Good luck to her, is all I can say, although 35 might be a bit too old to start a new career as a jump jockey but we'll see!

KautoStar1

Visit site
I have no issue with any athlete using whatever appropriate methods they need to ensure they get the best results but having heard her interviewed a few times & read extracts from her book i would say she is of a delicate emotional constitution and irrespective of her physical state she will need to be mentally tough.
I also question how you can do from never having ridden a horse to wanting to be a jump jockey at the age of 35 or whatever she is. Suspect it's the payday from Betfair that is motivating her. And don't forget PFN is also sponsored by Betfair, hence his involvement. I think it's a bit of a publicity stunt & I am not sure how well thought out it is. As I said previously I hope she knows what she's letting herself in for & doesn't get hurt.

teapot

Visit site
Good luck to her I say! Though the cynic in me does wonder about the publicity side of it.

Perhaps if the racing world wanted decent publicity they'd focus on the two female amateurs who won over the hurdles and chase courses at Sandown yesterday. May have been two amateur races but that's a fair achievement given their busy day jobs!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Go luck to her, even allowing for journalistic interpretation [are those thigh boots her own idea?], I think she will struggle when it comes to risk taking, if she truly is not a risk taker, how will she manage, it will be a very short career!

Last edited:

AmieeT

Visit site
"UK cycling currently has a bright clean image and there is more support for the athletes, but the track cyclists seem to last for one or two seasons and then their lights go out."

Sir Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins (aiming for Rio back on the track), Jason Kenny as well as VP have lasted a lot longer than one or two seasons. Just the ones that pop to mind and there are be more that have lasted more than one or two seasons.

Good luck to her. It will be interesting to see what happens.

This, definitely! My boss' son was on Team GB's cycling team winning gold in 2012 and 2008, and has set multiple world records from before then, and since.

To be fair, I'd be upset if I made a tit of myself on national TV too, though I found her overbearing. She's used to hard training. Provided she picks it up well, I don't doubt she'll make it.

Ax

Suechoccy

Visit site
She will make it!

What differentiates the Olympic-standard sportspeople from the rest ofus is their ability to drive single-mindedly to a certain task, apply themselves, improve themselves, dedicate themselves.

The British Cycling/Olympic setup is such that there is crossover between sports - eg Rebecca Romero rowing-cycling, etc.

What the sport is doesn't matter so much. It's the ability to apply oneself and succeed. These are physically and mentally talented exceptional people with a raft of support in terms of psychology, nutrition, training and coaching and mentoring, etc. They are professionals in the discipline of Olympic-level sport.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
She looks a bit unstable at the moment, has a nice basic style, I think she will manage a hurdle race on a schoolmaster, and may even progress, who knows, it is a lot of work to do for only a few rides, maybe she will have other ambitions, after this she could even try dressage or show jumping.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
If I was an owner I don't think I'd want someone with only one year's experience taking my horse around the Cheltenham Foxhunters. It's carnage enough with "experienced" amateurs let alone someone who has only ridden for such a short time. Can't imagine fellow jocks in the race being too enamoured either.

teapot

Visit site
If I was an owner I don't think I'd want someone with only one year's experience taking my horse around the Cheltenham Foxhunters. It's carnage enough with "experienced" amateurs let alone someone who has only ridden for such a short time. Can't imagine fellow jocks in the race being too enamoured either.

She'll only get there if she fufills the requirements of the required license I assume, like anyone else who fancied doing the same thing. Granted the chances are low but there could be other jockey entries with limited experience.

Having seen the video, fair play to her. Mark Todd wasn't that far in front of her!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Thanks FM for the video, I think she did really well, her horse was a bit of a prat throwing his head around and there was no cantering down to the start which would have been interesting to see whether she maintained control. I think she was unlucky when another horse took her ground but for that she would have been 7th, Im sure she was told not to try and ride any sort of finish just to experience and enjoy it. From her interview she was rightly delighted with how she did and I expect her to progress, she certainly is dedicated and very lucky with the input from everyone including the great AP.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Fair play to her! She's obviously got guts and backing so why not? I'm sure she works ruddy hard. She did pretty well considering she's nt been at it long. Being a jockey is probably less strict and an easier life than being on the GB cycling team, if she can take that pressure I'm sure she can turn her heel to many things :)

Racergirl

Visit site
Am I the only person who wants to know why she's gone from Paul Nicholls' to Lawney Hills? She's riding out there every day ( and it sounded like a permanent thing), it was a LH horse she rode in that race, there must be a reason why she's moved? ( ok so it's none of my beeswax, but I'm nosey and I want to know if it's juicy or if it's something boring like LH is nearer home or the like)

I was another voice of "awwww, haven't you had any attention lately?" Person when it was first announced - I'm not a fan of hers particularly at all, chiefly because of all the whinging on strictly and the tantrums she would throw while competing. ( I accept that the tantrum reports were heavily newspapered up though, so probably nowhere near as bad!) I've got little time for anyone who comes over how she was portrayed. Plus, I admit I was ( and still am a bit!) jealous as hell that she should get all this thrown at her as a massive publicity thing. Though I'd be more impressed and more likely to follow if Paddy Power sponsored Johnny Vegas ( or someone similar) to do the same thing, that to me would be one heck of an achievement :)

BUT

Watching that interview with her after the race, I've largely changed my mind now. She still won't take much to annoy me - but she genuinely does seem to be relishing the challenge and enjoying herself. Wether the change of yard has done that ( Lawney hill's must be one of the most fun yards to be in) or if she was told to act happy whatever, she had a sparkle in her eyes that only comes from achieving something you weren't at all sure you could manage. I've helped a lot of people ride in charity races and a few have gone on to get their licences after - Shes easily as competent as a few of those!!
Best of luck to her, I'm not sure she won't frighten the hell out of herself when she has some falls racing but I actually now genuinely wish her well. ( and might start following it!) Which is a massive surprise to me, I didn't like her at all !!

Does anyone know who the other riders were and the actual finishing order? I'm a bit sad for them that they have been completely overshadowed!!

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
It seems a lot of you really hope she fails, I don't understand why - is it jealousy? Betfair are hardly likely to pick an unknown, where would the publicity be? It is all good for racing, I think she has done well to go from not riding at all to racing and I wish her all the best.

'If you cut down the tall poppies only the weeds remain'.

Spilletta

Visit site
An interesting point of view from another jockey, from Racing Post website:

"JOCKEY Racheal Kneller has criticised Victoria Pendleton’s bid to become an amateur jockey, describing it as a 'slap in the face' to stable staff who will never receive the same opportunities that the Olympic gold medal-winning cyclist has done."

Full article:

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=9883824&category=0

I can see both sides, but feel a bit sorry for Victoria - although I don't think any annoyance is directed at her personally; it's more the principle (i.e. it could be another celebrity who was offered and took the challenge.) Where would you draw the line? Is it a bit like criticizing someone who does well at dressage because they're very wealthy and can afford the best facilities, best horses, and can spend hours training?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Yes, I think it is unfair, in a way that life is unfair. Headlines bring these problems to the attention of the public. It will blow over fast enough.
To me the problem of stable staff wanting to become jockeys but not being related to a trainer or owner is endemic, but can be overcome, there are loads of jockeys who start from scratch, and end up in the top ten, but they need talent, drive and good fortune. The whole thing is that it is a lot easier if they have been riding since their early years and have done lots of stuff, because they already have a lot of experience, plus the drive and determination needed.
Plenty of top athletes could transfer to other spheres, but it is unlikely they will hit the top spots in the new discipline, and they will be disappointed and give up. I may be wrong, but I think Victoria will do what she has set out to do then fade out of the picture, she is not stopping anyone is particular from becoming a jockey, its not as though there is only one vacancy.
All athletes suffer from the same problem as the rest of us ........... the ageing process :(

Last edited:
Visit site
I have never heard of that jockey so she can't be a world beater.

As to being a kick in the teeth for stable staff - not all of them want to become jockeys. Most of them aren't good enough to become jockeys. If a trainer sees an exceptional talent then they usually push that person to improve, help them get their licence and to ride.

I have ridden work for 11 years. I had thoughts of being a flat jockey when I was 16 but I realised I was A. too heave and B. too lazy to do anything about it and like hell was I flinging myself and half a tonne of horse at a solid object at high speed! I am more than happy working the beasts at home thank you very much!

Pendleton wants to do this, she has the drive to do this, she has the want to do this, she has the ambition to do this and fair play to her - she has to balls to do this having never ridden before! I wish her all the best!

teapot

Visit site
Whereas Hayley Turner has tweeted saying that she should be admired given her success in one sport and the drive to acheive in another.

No one's given Chris Hoy a second look at his attempt to get involved with motor racing... He's doing fairly well by all accounts too.

Mariposa

Visit site
I rather think Racheal Kneller comes across as rather bitter. I don't get what the problem is? Pendleton worked her butt off cycling, the drive and determination, and dedication she gave to it was to be admired! And now she's been given the opportunity to try to be a jockey - well good for her! Kneller comes across as a dog in the manger . Pendleton should be given props, the woman is clearly giving it her all, and it's good for the sport. Nothing's stopping any other talented rider from progressing from stable lass/lad to jockey!