Victoria Pendleton to train as a jockey

Horsetruth

New User
Visit site
I thought she did really well , there are a lot of people who have been riding out for years who have not done as well as she did after eight weeks

Spilletta

Visit site
Anyone going to Black Forest Lodge PtP today? Read on Racing Post that VP's making her debut over fences.

I'm enjoying following her progress, and hope she does well. Good luck VP :)

Clodagh

Visit site
There was a piece about her on RUK last week, she came across as really bitten by the bug! Also sounded like a really nice person. I think she has done so well, and how brave. Sounds like her PtP debut was a good one.

popsdosh

Visit site
There was a piece about her on RUK last week, she came across as really bitten by the bug! Also sounded like a really nice person. I think she has done so well, and how brave. Sounds like her PtP debut was a good one.

Also having the nouse to know when the horse had done enough ,not many young jockeys do that in their first race.

popsdosh

Visit site
Too true.
Mariposa - I have jumped one whole steeplechase fence in my life, it was awesome!

Very true ,the very reason I am reluctant to start riding again as I know if its in front of you its a challenge to be taken on. My body is too old for that abuse any more .

scotlass

Visit site
How did she get on today?

Just saw that she pulled up. At least she had the safest of safe conveyances to ride!

She pulled up at the penultimate fence apparently. Quote in RP described her as looking competent and approaching each fence well

Spilletta

Visit site
Im jealous! I don't think I'd be brave enough, I would definitely overthink it all!!

Me too! It was on my list of things to do, but somehow it's dropped off since I had a crashing fall last year over a very small fence. I'll stick to watching and admiring others jumping instead. I'll live my jumping dream through VP :D

Lauren.1992

New User
Visit site
It is an amazing achievement to learn to point as quickly as she has but it is an absolute kick in the teeth for any stable staff out there who dream of having a go.

I was lucky enough to be able to afford to buy a cheap pointer and have a go for a season before it became to expensive. It is extremely hard to get noticed and many jockeys only ever pick up a few rides meaning they can not gain the experience required to get better. Yet she has been given rides on super safe quality pointers because of who she is.

Stable staff ride out in all weather, work long hours for low pay and could only ever dream of getting the opportunities of vp. It may be excellent for racing, but it does nothing for the motivation and commitment of good yard staff.

Mike007

Visit site
It is an amazing achievement to learn to point as quickly as she has but it is an absolute kick in the teeth for any stable staff out there who dream of having a go.

I was lucky enough to be able to afford to buy a cheap pointer and have a go for a season before it became to expensive. It is extremely hard to get noticed and many jockeys only ever pick up a few rides meaning they can not gain the experience required to get better. Yet she has been given rides on super safe quality pointers because of who she is.

Stable staff ride out in all weather, work long hours for low pay and could only ever dream of getting the opportunities of vp. It may be excellent for racing, but it does nothing for the motivation and commitment of good yard staff.

I think perhaps ,that you have missed the point. She has already paid her dues . She didnt get her cycling success without a huge amount of personal effort and sacrifice. So what if doors are now opened for her . Make no mistake, she had to break that first door down ,the hard way .

popsdosh

Visit site
I think perhaps ,that you have missed the point. She has already paid her dues . She didnt get her cycling success without a huge amount of personal effort and sacrifice. So what if doors are now opened for her . Make no mistake, she had to break that first door down ,the hard way .

The other Valid point is if it wasn't VP the bookies sponsoring her would not be putting up that money! Also I dont think it would be being talked about on here. She is trying to come a long way in a short time and for somebody starting from scratch it will be an amazing achievement its not easy for her as there are many hoping she fails! It is one thing riding in a charity flat race but another to take part in a competitive race over big fences

Last edited:

Lauren.1992

New User
Visit site
I haven't missed any point. What you are trying to say is that because she is a famous cyclist she deserves to get special treatment to be able to go point to pointing? She doesn't! There are far better stable staff out there who ride far better yet will never get the chance because they havnt "broken down the first door"

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I think you will find that anyone who is good enough and sufficiently motivated and hard working can do well in the racing industry , in fact in any industry this applies.
There are several examples of kids who have come from ordinary backgrounds but who have a natural riding ability, all trainers will encourage such talent, it is in their interest to do so.
I don't agree stable staff are not well paid, they get inclusive, intensive professional training with a guaranteed job, given the basic skills to allow them to work and to develop those skills. The wages are good for kids who are not academic, and who want to have a good fun life in a team environment. Those who want to go in to retail, and work their way up to management only need to go in to a supermarket to see that not all alternative jobs are well paid.

There are ways of getting in to pointing, but the majority of youngsters without a racing background will have to fight harder, they won't know how to get started, but surely the obvious route is to go and work in a big pointing yard.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I haven't missed any point. What you are trying to say is that because she is a famous cyclist she deserves to get special treatment to be able to go point to pointing? She doesn't! There are far better stable staff out there who ride far better yet will never get the chance because they havnt "broken down the first door"

She's getting the chance because her success in a previous sport brings publicity to the people sponsoring her. In that respect, yes, she deserves special treatment in the same way the people on Strictly deserve to be paid to learn to dance.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site

If they haven't broken down the first door but want to open it, would be better to use a key which fits the lock, rather than a battering ram.

Mariposa

Visit site
I really don't understand why people have a problem with her getting, and jumping on, this opportunity. She's paid her dues, she's worked her arse off cycling, done Britain proud in the Olympics (multiple times!) and she's been giving a great opportunity....I fail to see what the problem is. I have huge respect for her, it's not easy task to learn to ride and become competent and brave enough to race ride competitively over fences! It's not a kick in the teeth to anyone, it's something that should be admired IMHO. Good on her! It doesn't take away from anyone else.

I'm proud that a female sportsman is getting exposure for a sport I love, to quote that great promotion...'This Girl CAN'.

Clodagh

Visit site
I really don't understand why people have a problem with her getting, and jumping on, this opportunity. She's paid her dues, she's worked her arse off cycling, done Britain proud in the Olympics (multiple times!) and she's been giving a great opportunity....I fail to see what the problem is. I have huge respect for her, it's not easy task to learn to ride and become competent and brave enough to race ride competitively over fences! It's not a kick in the teeth to anyone, it's something that should be admired IMHO. Good on her! It doesn't take away from anyone else.

I'm proud that a female sportsman is getting exposure for a sport I love, to quote that great promotion...'This Girl CAN'.

Absolutely, why anyone thinks that Betfair would sponsor a complete unknown, who can already ride competently, to carry the flag instead of VP is beyond me. Sour grapes?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site

If she is going to ride at a professional level [albeit as an amateur] she will need to ride her three per day.
Good for you to buy a safe conveyance for a year, if you had been good enuff and dedicated enuff you might have progressed.
It does not make her a worse rider/better rider than you. I have been a cyclist, a trainer and a rider, my talent was limited, but I did collect a few firsts, if I had been any good, I might have been sponsored, what the heck.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

No it isn't Lauren. It's a message that you have to get to be world class at something, no matter what it is, to get other doors to open for you. Someone who is a world class racehorse rider will get race rides. Someone who is a world class bike rider is getting race rides. She's an inspiration.

Visit site
Why is it a kick in the teeth for stable staff? If they want it they just have to ask to be given a chance and if your boss thinks you are good enough they will give you a chance - even if it is purely a recommendation at another yard that will have pointers if they don't.

I have worked in a jumps yard for 11 years and we always have a couple of pointers in as the bosses dad loves it. If I had wanted to I could have got myself a licence and been given rides on these horses. The reason why I haven't? I barely jump a hurdle let alone a bloomin big fence with a bunch of other muppetuous young riders around me going at speed. No ta! I'll stick to flat galloping with nothing in the way thank you!

Fair play to VP for literally putting her life on the line to do this. I am sure if she completely useless no one would risk their horses with her - no matter how much money they are being paid.

oldie48

Visit site
Hear, hear!! She's one brave gutsy woman and I wish her every success. I find it very strange that anyone (especially another woman) would want to see her fail. It's great PR for pointing and fantastic for all women in sport. I really hope she doesn't get hurt and I bet she'll have a lifelong love of riding.

teapot

Visit site
What I really don't get is that as far as I know Chris Hoy hasn't taken a bashing from moving from cycling to motorsport, again through opportunities and knowing people thanks to his own success.

Good on VP I say, I wouldn't have the balls to do what she's doing.

asterope

Visit site
What I really don't get is that as far as I know Chris Hoy hasn't taken a bashing from moving from cycling to motorsport, again through opportunities and knowing people thanks to his own success.

Good on VP I say, I wouldn't have the balls to do what she's doing.

I don't think Chris Hoy's switch has been very widely publicised at all - I haven't seen it mentioned on any major news sites - whereas VP's certainly has, which is probably a factor.

teapot

Visit site
I don't think Chris Hoy's switch has been very widely publicised at all - I haven't seen it mentioned on any major news sites - whereas VP's certainly has, which is probably a factor.

It's certainly been publicised/used as a way to draw the public in at the one of the UK's leading motorsports events which happens quite close to me, so for those within the sport, they're probably aware of it, as just as those of us in the equestrian world know about VP. The BBC certainly has followed Chris Hoy's new achievements.