Victoria Pendleton to train as a jockey

Visit site
EKW, I suspect that most who ride TBs learn from more from your 'Scabby-old-maidens' than they ever do from the 'Christians'! :)

Alec.

By far and away! And if you have to spend years riding those goats then you truly do deserve your moment in the spot light at Cheltenham!

Who has some truly awful jumpers that are also not overly pleasant to ride that we can throw VP's way for massively quick education?!?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I'll add what I did on FB -
She's done well in a short space of time but I would say she needs a lot more experience of race riding before she should be allowed to risk Cheltenham. Cheltenham is THE pinnacle of national Hunt racing which so many owners, trainers, riders strive to be good enough to enter let alone take part. I would hate for a total novice as that is what she is to mess up their dreams through her inexperience. By all means let her cut her teeth on point to points this year but Cheltenham; no way, she just isn't reliable or experienced enough to risk it for fear of interfering with other more worthy runners.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I'll add what I did on FB -
She's done well in a short space of time but I would say she needs a lot more experience of race riding before she should be allowed to risk Cheltenham. Cheltenham is THE pinnacle of national Hunt racing which so many owners, trainers, riders strive to be good enough to enter let alone take part. I would hate for a total novice as that is what she is to mess up their dreams through her inexperience. By all means let her cut her teeth on point to points this year but Cheltenham; no way, she just isn't reliable or experienced enough to risk it for fear of interfering with other more worthy runners.

I would second this comment.

There is no doubt she is one brave lady with ambition and talent to excel at other sports, no doubt she would get to the top of Everest quicker than most, however sport that challenges an individual is very different to a sport that involves horses moving at speed in a group and the only sport that has an ambulance following it. She hasn't even had a season with a decent pack of hounds.

Would we be having this conversation if she had decided to ride down the big red wall at Olympia ? no because it is her neck only that is at risk. There will be loss at Cheltenham but it should not be loss caused by an inexperienced rider.

Alec Swan

Visit site
She completed her ptp today on her 13yo handicap chaser. Out in front for a circuit before the horse got tired and tailed off into last place.

Is there an experienced critique of how she rode? Did the horse take off and pull, which can happen to the best, or was it simply that she decided that being in front was safest?

Alec.

Visit site
My sources say she was told to make it if no one else wanted to go on. She was in control at all times but whether she meant to be 6-10l clear for the most part is more a question on her being able to judge pace than anything else. The horse jumped soundly and kept her in the plate without any chances to fall so the horse did his job bless him.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've been thinking about this a lot after watching the video and I've come to the conclusion that is a real pity that Victoria's incredible achievement is being overshadowed by a wholly unreasonable end goal of Cheltenham.

Failure to reach the set goal aside, what a job she's done of learning to ride!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I think the publicity is what's getting to people it would be probably greater received if Betfair were donating to a charity each time she completes a race/ a set bonus if she gets to the festival. (To the best of my knowledge this isn't happening although more than willing to be corrected )
Also if they weren't sponsoring it would she have been offered such a good horse? I know it's not Faugheen / Douvan etc but seems pretty decent. The equivalent probably of getting a sit on Opposition Buzz round an unaffiliated etc.
What worries me is potential injury to horse or other people if she is allowed in the hustle and bustle of the fox hunters when she isn't ready this whole within a year thing seems like she is perhaps being rushed compared to being allowed to come through the grades.

A far more safer option would be for her to ride a dressage test/ jump a course at hickstead (like the only fools on horses show ages ago), see if she can qualify for the BE 80 or 90 at Badminton or even ride in a flat race? But then those sports don't have the betting company money behind them as much.

paddi22

Visit site
yes i always find it annoying that they set completely unrealistic dream targets in these kind of things.

Someone who is obviously so driven and goal orientated shouldn't be given a target that is a)potentially lethal to herself and others and b) completely unnecessary. I think she's been badly advised if she's been told she has a realistic chance of riding. I've worked on goal orientated tv shows before, and they really do pick the most simplistic 'big dream goal' that an audience will understand, whether the person can achieve it is irrelevant to them, but could be heartbreaking to a goal orientated person who is trusting their mentors and the process. It reminds me of the Jennifer Saunders thing where she was aiming at competing at grassroots, when it was obvious she was nowhere near confident enough, luckily she seemed to realise that half way through and it wasn't set up as the be all an end all. These shows are interesting even without the set goal at the end.

HashRouge

Visit site
I've been thinking about this a lot after watching the video and I've come to the conclusion that is a real pity that Victoria's incredible achievement is being overshadowed by a wholly unreasonable end goal of Cheltenham.

Failure to reach the set goal aside, what a job she's done of learning to ride!

Totally agree. She has done amazingly well, but perhaps they were a bit too ambitious with the goal.

Mariposa

Visit site
If she's not ready for the Foxhunters maybe she could ride in the charity race - don't they have a flat race at Cheltenham? I'm sure they did last year or did I dream it?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
She has to learn and get as much experience as possible in the time allotted, it is a matter of IF she gets round to some extent, but I can assure you that I have seen good riders being unshipped. Next time she will know to keep sufficiently clear of others and watch others for their likely swerving, but anyone can be unshipped.
Having said that she should not be falling off due to lack of race fitness on the day, but that is another matter. the only way to get race fitness is to ride in P T Ps so I don 't think it matters if she hacks round the back or rides a front runner, [and some horses are front runners], so I am not too bothered about the whole thing, as long as she does not get hurt.
The horses take their chances too, it is not likely she will put a tired horse at a big fence, which is when accidents are inevitable, and pro jocks have been seen to do this.
riding in a flat race for charity is the sort of thing trainers and others do for fun, its not a serious attempt to ride under rules.
I mean I have ridden in a flat race, but never ever in anything more challenging, its far too risky for someone of my [pathetic] ability.
I think that we are focussing on her inabilitiy, but in most races where there is a problem, it is beacause the horse has been asked to race in a race in which both he and the rider are a danger to themsleves as they are outclassed.

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
TV and Radio editors consider that "sport" programs are about football, this makes a refreshing change.

BTW have you noticed CH4 Morning line and C4 coverage have reverted to coverage of racing, and not trying to be some sort of "go to" for the Saturday punter. I hope we on HHO had some influence on that nonsense.

Yes I have noticed, I think this is due to less interference from producers who do not understand the core values of C4 racing. They thought that viewing figures were the only target, something I never understood as C4 was set up to cater to minority sports and minority audiences, so why should they expect / demand big audiences?
I think common sense has prevailed, and as the presenters are in the P45 situation they have little to lose if they attempt to change things.
PS I have nothing against Clare Balding, she is a superb broadcaster/professional, but her program of celebrity sportsmen is NOT something I am interested in, no its not, I just want to watch the racing.

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site
I wouldnt right off her chances yet . There are quite a few pro jockeys had the misfortune of being unseated at that fence ,it has a reputation!
I think you will find some intense schooling going on with some rough and tumble chucked in to make her more aware of competitive riding. Having spoken to riders who have ridden against her they have nothing but admiration of what she has achieved up till now. PN will have the final call I am sure and I would trust his judgement as none of them will want to see it go wrong at Cheltenham. You have to remember though VP is a very competetive sports person who wont let that tumble effect her but merely spur her on to improve.
I would not take to much notice of what JF has to say he is not a great believer in women jockeys full stop.

Last edited:

Fellewell

Visit site
When you learn to drive a car, it's not just about how well you drive but how skilfully you can avoid other road users.
I'm sure Ms Pendleton is learning that she needs to keep her wits about her when jumping alongside loose horses and even looser jockeys.
All riding is dangerous, that's why we have an Injured Jockeys Fund.Whatever level you are at, the risk is always there.
And Ruby Walsh could probably do an Argentine Tango without even trying.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Its not so much that she needs to learn to keep her wits about her, its just that she has packed an awful lot in to a very short time.
We all make mistakes when we are learning, [and even afterwards].
I trained a few horses, and when I put a jock up, there was a limit to what I could tell them. If they were experienced I could only tell them how not to lose rather than how to win. If they were novice, I would tell them how to ride for a good start, to keep handy without tiring horse, and to kick on when in contention in the last furlong, never batter or exhaust the horse esp on a hot day.
It is much better if amateurs ride out that horse for a while beforehand so they need not worry about the "gear stick changing aspects"
Ruby, Francome and anyone else who is asked to comment may give a comment based on their background.
It may be better to stick a good experienced amateur on top, but that was not the point of the exercise.

Last edited:

Fellewell

Visit site
She's had clear rounds point-to-point, she's even had a 2nd and 4th this year. Pacha Du Polder is a good horse who knows his job and will look after her I'm sure. No one is expecting her to win are they? I'm sure we all have an understanding of how exciting this must be for her. She's an athlete, she must hold her nerve and block out the publicity to really enjoy this. Basically, she needs to dig deep and get her derriere in gear.

Clodagh

Visit site
She's had clear rounds point-to-point, she's even had a 2nd and 4th this year. Pacha Du Polder is a good horse who knows his job and will look after her I'm sure. No one is expecting her to win are they? I'm sure we all have an understanding of how exciting this must be for her. She's an athlete, she must hold her nerve and block out the publicity to really enjoy this. Basically, she needs to dig deep and get her derriere in gear.

I have been thinking about her, and as I hate the Elf and Safety culture I have to agree with you. Please let her just hack along at the back and hope all goes well.

Mariposa

Visit site
I agree. Come on Pendleton, hold your nerve, ignore the naysayers and kick on ( but not too much please...stay out of trouble!)

Clodagh

Visit site
Charlie Brooks said, in the Telegraph today, that she needs to go hunting 3 times a week. I think that is an excellent idea.
My son's girlfriend who is a nice riding school type pretty but novice rider has just got a job with a dealer/event yard and is hunting 5 days a fortnight, her riding has improved like you wouldn't believe.
I hope VP does well on Wednesday.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Clodagh, saying "just let her hack along at the back" its not on really is it. I understand exactly what you mean and actually I do agree with you, but, she will be riding in a proper race and there will be people betting on her. Quite a few folk (Im guessing a bit here) will not know the story, they probably dont know much about racing as such, they just get caught up in the Cheltenham buzz, they will see the name and put a fiver on her. She surely, like all the other jocks, has to be able to give the horse the best chance of achieving a place. I think earlier on in this thread someone said it would be more sensible to let her ride in the charity flatrace if theyre having it this year and I agree. There would be less pressure on her and Im sure she would raise a huge amount of money that way. I just cant help worrying that shes out of her depth :(