Victoria Pendleton to train as a jockey

Visit site
That's the thing. If she is to ride at Cheltenham she really should hunt out the back out of the way but then that would defeat the purpose of her being there?!? She is there to race. And whilst I can see her accepting her instructions and carrying them out to do such a thing I doubt she would be very happy about it.

Come what may on Wednesday and lets hope either which way the right decision is made.

Clodagh

Visit site
I don't think she is there to race, I think she is there to get round. If anyone bets on her to win TBH they deserve to lose their money! And I agree Mariposa.
:)

popsdosh

Visit site
I don't think she is there to race, I think she is there to get round. If anyone bets on her to win TBH they deserve to lose their money! And I agree Mariposa.
:)

LOL yee of little faith!

Think I said dont write her off to soon.

Well done VP and the whole team who have helped her. Cheltenham look out,dont think she will be chasing up the back somehow

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
Another one who can't see her hacking round, she's someone who thrives on competition.

Well done VP! Whatever your thoughts, you can't deny she's achieved a lot in a year!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
VICTORIA PENDLETON showed all the aggression of an Olympic champion in a determined display from the front and found a willing partner in Pacha Du Polder to land her first win since changing careers to become a jockey last year.

Britain's most successful female Olympian has had the full glare of the media spotlight on her since making the Betfair-sponsored switch from bike to horse, but was cool and calm to claim a vital first win at Wincanton.

It was an important day in Pendleton's journey towards contesting St James's Place Foxhunter Chase at the Cheltenham Festival in just over two weeks, with failure to complete as she did on her first start under rules at Fakenham last month likely to end the journey.

However, the Paul Nicholls-trained Pacha Du Polder showed his rivals a clean set of heels to secure an emphatic 29-length success over Big Fella Thanks much to the delight of his rider.

More to follow. . .

What a very genuine horse he is, well done to both of them.

Clodagh

Visit site
Well done her.
A quick wet blanket moment (and as I say above I think she should ride at Cheltenham) they won't be able to gallop off in front in the Foxhunters. Still, that aside I am really pleased for her.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I watched the race on RUK. Im sorry but I still dont think she has the experience to ride in the Foxhunters at Cheltenham :(. Lots of reasons, much bigger field, it will be run at a much faster gallop, completely different atmosphere, some of the riders today, I believe from the commentary, had less "under rules" experience than VP, that will most certainly not be the case in 2 weeks time. I have nothing but admiration for her, to learn to ride and achieve what she has in so short a time is a fantastic achievement, it doesnt stop me feeling the way I do and simply being concerned for her safety and that of all around her if an accident occurs.

Visit site
Very well done to the girl. She got round in front. She has a very genuine horse.

Cheltenham is a different ball game though from popping round wincanton at an easy lope against much lesser rivals. Except for Big Fella Thanks who was decent in his day.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Very well done to the girl. She got round in front. She has a very genuine horse.

……. .

Agreed, she does have an honest horse under her, they beat BFT by some 30 lengths, himself a previously decent animal, but it was a small field and we should remember that one swallow doesn't make a summer. I'd say that it was a confidence booster, but that Cheltenham will be a different ball-game, altogether.

Those who wonder at the sense of this charade will probably sit and wait and wonder at her continued success. Success is rarely achieved because of a competitive spirit alone, it usually needs the vital ingredient of experience, and that's the one thing that only time can supply.

Alec.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Well done VP! She's done more than I could have in a year and I've been riding 25 years. I'm sure she's under no illusions that Cheltenham is a different ball game, she didn't get where she is without being able to assess a task. Good luck to her I say, I hope to watch in a couple of weeks. See. I normally wouldn't bother, but she's made me want to, mission accomplished whoever had the idea!

asterope

Visit site
I watched the race on RUK. Im sorry but I still dont think she has the experience to ride in the Foxhunters at Cheltenham :(. Lots of reasons, much bigger field, it will be run at a much faster gallop, completely different atmosphere, some of the riders today, I believe from the commentary, had less "under rules" experience than VP, that will most certainly not be the case in 2 weeks time. I have nothing but admiration for her, to learn to ride and achieve what she has in so short a time is a fantastic achievement, it doesnt stop me feeling the way I do and simply being concerned for her safety and that of all around her if an accident occurs.

Yep. Pacha Du Polder absolutely cruised round and VP just didn't get in his way (which does in itself take skill!) Cruising around in front is very different to being in the thick of things in a very large field - there's so much more to go wrong - and although it's great for VP to have won (and to have made the progress that she has) I really don't think winning this race has much to say in relation to her ability to ride in the Foxhunters...

popsdosh

Visit site
Yep. Pacha Du Polder absolutely cruised round and VP just didn't get in his way (which does in itself take skill!) Cruising around in front is very different to being in the thick of things in a very large field - there's so much more to go wrong - and although it's great for VP to have won (and to have made the progress that she has) I really don't think winning this race has much to say in relation to her ability to ride in the Foxhunters...

I feel so much negativity and begrudging acknowledgement in a few comments .

VP is not doing it to be a passenger ,she wont be the only first timer in the field I am sure. Between you and me I doubt it will be her first experience of cheltenham fences as they have left no stone unturned. Of course something can go wrong but it can for any jockey any day . Fakenham taught her a lot and she realises even among her fellow riders in the race there will be those that may like to sabotage things. At Fakenham the stewards actually looked closely at what happened as there was an inquiry into it as the other riders foot knocked hers out of the stirrup. VP was on radio five tonight saying that she felt better after being in the stewards and knowing it wasnt anything she had done wrong but hey thats racing. Theres a lot better jockeys than her made those blunders and their ability wasnt questioned

I guess the real difference with olympic athletes and mere mortals is their ability to turn negativity into winning ways. She has two more weeks and if the progress is the same as the last two I have no reservations about her at Cheltenham. She has worked hard as we all know you dont get a free ride to that level from scratch not many on here would do it having ridden all their lives .

Last edited:

AmieeT

Visit site
'I really just wanted a good round. I wanted to get round on the horse and give him a ride he deserved. I feel very honoured and lucky to be allowed to ride such a wonderful animal'

For me, this comment is so lovely- I suspect she may be becoming an equestrian through her experience anyway :)

Big well done to VP!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Seems to me she is hooked, probably best to stick to p to points from this year on,,,,,,,,,, she is not getting any younger lol
Possibly could get a senior job in a big yard with high profile owners.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I feel so much negativity and begrudging acknowledgement in a few comments .

…….. . She has worked hard as we all know you dont get a free ride to that level from scratch not many on here would do it having ridden all their lives .

I'd suggest that the 'negativity' is best explained in your last sentence. With a mere 12 months of instruction she's attempting the equivalent of climbing the Matterhorn or the drive in an F1 car. There's one particularly experienced (I suspect) race-groom on here who rides out jump-horses daily and has done for years, and I'd very much doubt that she'd feel confident to face the rigours of Cheltenham, despite her experience.

I also wonder what will happen when the sponsorship and the media hype are withdrawn. Should VP succeed and should she have found a new career, then there will be no one happier to eat their words than I, but as others, I remain a sceptic.

Alec.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Was there ever any suggestion that Victoria would have a career in race riding? Surely this was quite simply a PR exercise by Betfair, and a fascinating one too.

By heavens the girl has done herself and all sports women proud, can't we just celebrate that?

WELL DONE VICTORIA!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Just watched the video, she really does seem keen doesn't she? I seem to remember watching something about her before and she kind of came across as very controlled about her image and looking good. Its nice to see she looks good and normal on the TV and isn't dolled up etc.

I could be wrong about the image thing, but I'm sure I didn't imagine it! At least in horse riding you're all covered up and don't have to have freshly shaven legs like in cycling :D

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I'd suggest that the 'negativity' is best explained in your last sentence. With a mere 12 months of instruction she's attempting the equivalent of climbing the Matterhorn or the drive in an F1 car. There's one particularly experienced (I suspect) race-groom on here who rides out jump-horses daily and has done for years, and I'd very much doubt that she'd feel confident to face the rigours of Cheltenham, despite her experience.

I also wonder what will happen when the sponsorship and the media hype are withdrawn. Should VP succeed and should she have found a new career, then there will be no one happier to eat their words than I, but as others, I remain a sceptic.

Alec.

Alec, you seem to survive on a self inflicted diet of old hats and your very own words ... obviously she won't become a pro NH jockey, but at least she has done something few people could even dare attempt. With anything like this there is a risk of some PR reverse, but so far, its been pretty smooth sailing.
Riding out is a bit different to race riding, there are no jumps for a start ...... most yards use pro jocks or former jocks to school the horses at any speed.

Last edited:

PolarSkye

Visit site
By heavens the girl has done herself and all sports women proud, can't we just celebrate that?

WELL DONE VICTORIA!

Very well said. It might, or might not have been a PR exercise, but it's paid off in spades and she has worked super hard. Well done that indeed.

P

Starbuck

Visit site
I think what she has achieved is fantastic and I am impressed by her ability and courage. I hope she has a good ride at Cheltenham and as well as learning from it I hope she enjoys the fantastic experience.

Goldenstar

Visit site
She's an athlete, an elite athlete her mind and body skilled and hardened after years training in her chosen sport .
She has physical and mental abilities that most of us can only imagine .
I think she's done very well and I really really want her to have a great ride at Cheltenham .

Alec Swan

Visit site
I've just watched the Morning Line and they showed parts of VP's ride at Wincanton. That was a vastly improved display! She seemed to be riding the horse, rather than as she was at Fakenham when she seemed little more than a passenger.

Whilst my reservations remain, if she manages a few more race-rides and if she gains in both experience and confidence, we never know, I may end up eating my words yet! :D

Alec.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
The basic problem with her riding is that she is sitting on the horse rather than being one with the horse, for this reason she will fall off regularly, its difficult to train folks to be part of the horse, as a good rider is, I would have her riding naughty ponies bareback every day for two hours bareback for a month, she might overcome this, but it is difficult, and she is running out of time.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Lets hope it all goes well, she has to ride to orders, and obviously it helps to be on the best horse in the race, which will not necessarily be the case in the Foxhunters. Also the others are not going to let her bowl along in front, even if it puts their own chances in jeopardy somewhat.