WARNING DISTRESSING VIDEO: Mare kills stallion

Wishfilly

Visit site
I've seen the video before, it's awful. It just shows these things really, really need to be done by people who know what they are doing, and not people who think it'll be fine if they just have a go.

Perhaps also illustrates just how serious a kick can be from a shod horse.

dorsetladette

Visit site
This is why normally mares have back shoes removed and are hobbled for live cover in this way. The stallion is also handled for the covering and not let loose.

I don't recall we ever hobbled a mare. If she refused the stallion she obviously wasn't ready and we would try again the following day. (if visibly in season).

Mare was always held and stallion handled in a bridle. If foals were around they were also held by an extra person a safe distance away but still in view of mum.

Tying a mare to a fence and then letting a stallion loose is never going to end well. Stupid people.

Tracking_up

Visit site
Tying a mare to a fence and then letting a stallion loose is never going to end well

But that wasn't what happened? Both horses were 'connected' to 'handlers' by being on lines/ropes to some sort of head gear.

Apart from showing how not to do something - at least according to our cultures - I'm never sure of the purpose of posting something like this? Genuinely puzzled.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Shocking. Just goes to show how much damage a single kick can do. Poor mare was distressed about being kept away from her foal, probably not ready for the stallion anyway. Such a waste of a beautiful horse too.
I know mares are bred in their foal heat but is that fair so soon after the birth of a foal?
I know nothing about breeding but it seems harsh on the mare.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
This is awful, having done attended many live covers for Thoroughbreds over the years, this is shocking and it was only going to end with disaster. There was no control of either animal. Foals should be safely contained as this does massively affect how some mares take a covering. We never hobbled mares, rather put on covering boots and twitch if necessary, sometimes raise a front leg until the stallion mounts or sedate the mare, maidens were always 'bounced' by another horse first to give her some sort of idea of what was going and to assess how she would react. There was way too much energy going too. P*ss poor handling.

Laafet

Shocking. Just goes to show how much damage a single kick can do. Poor mare was distressed about being kept away from her foal, probably not ready for the stallion anyway. Such a waste of a beautiful horse too.
I know mares are bred in their foal heat but is that fair so soon after the birth of a foal?
I know nothing about breeding but it seems harsh on the mare.

In TB terms we tend to avoid covering on foal heat, that is around week after birth as it is very hard on the mare, although she is usually very fertile at this point.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
If there IS anything remotely "good" (if such a thing is possible with this) the stallion would have known absolutely nothing about it.

He fell to the ground literally like he'd been shot; mare obviously touched the right spot when she kicked him which was identical to the effect of a gun, or perhaps a captive bolt action, in fact.

Beautiful stallion, what a waste. Those jerks would've had to explain to the owner of such a magnificent horse what had happened to him........... tragic.

Sandstone1

Visit site
In TB terms we tend to avoid covering on foal heat, that is around week after birth as it is very hard on the mare, although she is usually very fertile at this point.
How many women would be up for having sex a week after giving birth? I now thats anthropomorphism but I would think the mare feels the same!
To have to sedate or hobble a mare for covering is pretty much rape.

Birker2020

Visit site
If there IS anything remotely "good" (if such a thing is possible with this) the stallion would have known absolutely nothing about it.

He fell to the ground literally like he'd been shot; mare obviously touched the right spot when she kicked him which was identical to the effect of a gun, or perhaps a captive bolt action, in fact.

Yes I think he was pretty much dead before he hit the ground, the movements after were just agonal reflexes.

This underlines the importance of wearing hard hats for handlers when handling such stimulated animals.

palo1

Visit site
Horrible video. It does show not only how dangerous a kick from a horse can be but also how swift and accurate too. This accident/incident could have happened to a stallion running with mares though that is far less likely as the mare would have space to get out of the way/express her feelings in another way. It could happen at any point one horse is in the wrong situation (ie anxious mare) and another horse makes the wrong move. Poor stallion and some very casual handling :( It does demonstrate brilliantly what happens when you get it wrong...

Laafet

How many women would be up for having sex a week after giving birth? I now thats anthropomorphism but I would think the mare feels the same!
To have to sedate or hobble a mare for covering is pretty much rape.
Breeding of horses the way we do it is pretty much rape really. We often used to comment on that. Funnily enough the male members of the team didn't see it that way. I can tell you that the atmosphere in a covering barn can be very male and intimidating. I don't have anything to do with that side of things now. I saw enough to put be off for a lifetime.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Breeding of horses the way we do it is pretty much rape really. We often used to comment on that. Funnily enough the male members of the team didn't see it that way. I can tell you that the atmosphere in a covering barn can be very male and intimidating. I don't have anything to do with that side of things now. I saw enough to put be off for a lifetime.
I can understand that. Its like breeding dogs in some circumstances too. I get things need to be done in a safe way particularly with horses but if the mare says no that should be it. Forced breedings are rape and what does that make the people that do it?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
WARNING: you are about to see a stallion killed by a mare, please do not watch it if you think you cannot deal with it.

This is awful.........

One of my students shared this with me today. Not comfortable viewing, and so very unnecessary.
This is a very old video, seen it before its horrid.. The men kept the stallions head too low by pulling him back so right in the line of fire of the mare kicking out.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
A vast majority of breedings are forced. We "force" mares to get pregnant via AI too. Maybe they would've chosen to naturally be bred, maybe not. We're breeding for ourselves, selfishly, so it doesn't matter how the horse feels really. Some people are more comfortable with that than others. Some don't even think about it.

Sometimes I wonder about AI and when the mare realizes that she's pregnant and wonders how the H did that happen? ? Oh, I guess it was that time when they were poking around in there? but I don't think that they think like that!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
A vast majority of breedings are forced. We "force" mares to get pregnant via AI too. Maybe they would've chosen to naturally be bred, maybe not. We're breeding for ourselves, selfishly, so it doesn't matter how the horse feels really. Some people are more comfortable with that than others. Some don't even think about it.

Sometimes I wonder about AI and when the mare realizes that she's pregnant and wonders how the H did that happen? ? Oh, I guess it was that time when they were poking around in there? but I don't think that they think like that!

i wonder about that too. My homebred was conceived via natural cover but tbh i am not sure Salty had much of an inkling what was going on, she was scanned to confirm timings but still wasn't massively keen on the whole process, tho it was handled well by the stud and the stallion was nice to her :oops: I felt hugely guilty watching her actually give birth, it was textbook but all the same :eek:

I went AI for Kira because i didn't think she'd be up for the invasion of her personal space one bit. I wonder whether they have any idea what's going on as the foetus grows and starts wriggling about or whether its all just instinct taking over when the time comes for foaling. I suspect the latter?

dorsetladette

Visit site
i wonder about that too. My homebred was conceived via natural cover but tbh i am not sure Salty had much of an inkling what was going on, she was scanned to confirm timings but still wasn't massively keen on the whole process, tho it was handled well by the stud and the stallion was nice to her :oops: I felt hugely guilty watching her actually give birth, it was textbook but all the same :eek:

I went AI for Kira because i didn't think she'd be up for the invasion of her personal space one bit. I wonder whether they have any idea what's going on as the foetus grows and starts wriggling about or whether its all just instinct taking over when the time comes for foaling. I suspect the latter?

Its an odd one isn't it!

We had a few mares that ran with a stallion for a few weeks. Enough time for everyone to have had at least one season. But one of the mares (the dirtiest when in season, known as the tart by most of the yard staff) refused to let the stallion anywhere near. We scanned all in case she was shy and they had a quicky while no one was looking, but sure enough she wasn't in foal.

We broke her to ride and she went on to have a fab showing career. I think some are just not meant to be broodmares. Like other 'disciplines' I suppose. A showjumper might make a better dressage pony and vice versa.

dorsetladette

Visit site
But that wasn't what happened? Both horses were 'connected' to 'handlers' by being on lines/ropes to some sort of head gear.

Apart from showing how not to do something - at least according to our cultures - I'm never sure of the purpose of posting something like this? Genuinely puzzled.

apologies I watched the video a while ago and didn't want to rewatch it, but I have now. I had forgotten there was a long rope on the stallion, but that 'handler' had little to no control over the stallion.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Its an odd one isn't it!

We had a few mares that ran with a stallion for a few weeks. Enough time for everyone to have had at least one season. But one of the mares (the dirtiest when in season, known as the tart by most of the yard staff) refused to let the stallion anywhere near. We scanned all in case she was shy and they had a quicky while no one was looking, but sure enough she wasn't in foal.

We broke her to ride and she went on to have a fab showing career. I think some are just not meant to be broodmares. Like other 'disciplines' I suppose. A showjumper might make a better dressage pony and vice versa.
yeah. Salty didn't take the first time and although she did on her second stay with the stud it did make me question whether it was the right thing to do. but she was a very natural and happy mum so nature did take over when the chips were down. i wonder what it would be like if she went for natural cover again.