WARNING! - KEP riding hat safety - please open

MozartK

Visit site
Aside from the fact the hat is in pieces, so not repairable, I'm shocked a manufacturer considers it acceptable to suggest it might be possible to repair a hat. Don't most manufacturers recommend that a hat is replaced after a fall even if the hat doesn't appear damaged?

Check out their home page and their tips on how to mount a horse safely! They suggest that after a fall you need to check your hat is not damaged!

It should tell you to check that the pieces of your hat are not damaged!

Last edited:

Vittoria

New User
Visit site
Dear Pebble101 /
KEP Italia helmets bear five of the most severe international safety standards worldwide: the SEI/ASTM: F1163, the KITE MARK, the IC Mark EN1384, the PAS015: 2011 KITE MARK and the most recent rules set by the CE VG1 01.040 2014-12.
KEP Italia helmets actually were the first worldwide to comply to these most recent rules.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
This was just an answer to Pebble101 who asked what homologations KEP Italia helmets bear.

Well no, she actually asked what it said inside the hat which is below, the 2011 kitemark etc is therefore irrelevant in this instance as the hat has a date of manufacturer earlier than that, though it was purchased by the OP some years after that date which we have agreed is also possibly an issue.

Hat%2010.jpg

conniegirl

Visit site
I won't be buying one that's for sure!
Will be sticking to my CHampion hat.
I wore one when I had a rotational fall horse landed on me and the hat did its job then, it also did its job when the horse stood on my head whilst trying to get to his feet.
One hat, two blows in very short succession (about 30seconds) and the hat seemed to have very little damage to it.

DD265

Visit site
I'm glad you're OK!

You could also try speaking to some of the equine insurance companies. 1) they may be interested in helping to back the investigation but 2) they may also have had some claims from falls where these hats were worn.

Also there are other horsey magazines that might spread the word.

KEP Italia

Visit site
I wish to personally reply to Mrs. Andrea Smith and to all the people who are interested in knowing something more about safety.

I’m really sorry to see Mrs. Smith’s reaction against our helmets after her fall. I would like to explain to her that a such a breaking of a helmet during a fall can only be caused by strong impacts received at the moment of the crash, or by the kicking or rolling of a horse on the helmet.
Looking at the pictures shown, I really consider that the helmet must have been smashed and destroyed by a strong pressure like the one produced by a horse, if we believe that she fell on the grass as she said.
A helmet cannot explode, it cannot be disintegrated that way by itself.
A helmet’s break is important in case of hard impact because it absorbs the shock and avoids that the head receives it.

KEP Italia helmets meet the standards of up to five international safety certifications. KEP Italia helmets were the first in the world to be labeled with the brand new VG01 homologation and we strongly supported the release of these new standards, which higher the level protection of all helmets certified only by the CE 1384-2011.
KEP Italia helmets did not need to undergo any kind of change to meet the new VG01 homologation and to successfully pass all the requested tests, because they already complied with the most severe international standards, such as the PAS015:2011 Kite Mark, ASTM F1163.04a, SEI, and IC certification.
In order to be approved by any one of the five homologations which KEP Italia helmets bear, all helmets must undergo severe testing. The tests are set in order to make sure a helmet is able to resists to all kind of strains.
KEP Italia helmets are light, comfortable and ventilated: each detail and material we use is the result of deep research for the most advanced produce of the market and attention to details. Yet everything undergoes deep testing and there is no element of our helmet that is casually put together. Glues and foams and polystyrene and varnishes and coatings and linings and the chinstrap are thoroughly tested inside our company and inside testing labs. Most of our tests are done in the UK and the companies that release the homologations not only request that we supply big quantities of helmets they use for the testing inside their labs, but also regularly inspect the standard production inside our facilities to make sure that all our production complies with their standards. Safety is a big investment to which we are committed loyally.
We are ready to stand behind our helmets and to talk about how important it is to wear helmets when riding, or even when being around a horse. Mrs. Andrea Smith was wearing a helmet when she fell, and we feel she should be happy that the helmet broke like that, because this is what helmets are manufactured for: to protect the rider.
We cannot say that by wearing a helmet a rider is 100% safe, but we can state that good quality helmets contribute deeply into saving lives when riders fall and have head concussions. We receive testimonies by riders and parents of young riders on a weekly basis: they thank KEP for the protection offered in falls and accidents, many of which are really bad. We are pleased to post some of these witnesses of different riders whose lives have been saved thank to Kep Italia helmets (see next posts).

Thank you for your attention,
LELIA POLINI
Kep Italia Managing Director
www.kepitalia.com

ester

Visit site
You appear to be suggesting that she did not simply fall on grass as reported? That sounds like dodgy ground to me!

And the other report of the front panel came off when one fell off a tradestand?

It is of course important that a hat absorbs the impact but is this not usually done by the foam it is made of and the actual helmet remaining intact, rather than disintegrating to at least offer some protection from secondary impact. I am gobsmacked that you still say she should be happy that it broke like that :eek3:

Last edited:

KEP Italia

Visit site
We believe words are sometimes not enough. This is one of those cases and this is why we decided to release a video we had never released before on our website or social media because we thought it was too strong and our intention has never been that of scaring riders. Our intention has always been that of protecting riders.
But protection is not a marketing issue, it has to do with life.

In 2012 we received a thank you message by a Spanish young rider who had just fallen off her horse. Her story is very simple and her accident very well represents a normal situation: Almudena was not riding a ‘difficult’ horse, was not trying to do something silly and everything was perfectly under control when her horse fell and landed on her head. The video she sent us very well shows how a good helmet can make the difference between life and death. While being relieved that all ended well for Almudena (who only broke her collar bone and was back in the saddle two months after the accident took place), this event reinforced our already very much felt objective to produce the best we could in terms of protection and safety. As already stated, our helmets are homologated by five of the most severe safety certification bodies worldwide.

Following is the message Almudena Terrasa sent us a few days after her accident took place:

“It’s thanks to KEP Italia if I can say that I am alive. The tenth of august I had a terrible fall. What could have been a casualty, just turned into a big fright, and all thanks to the safety resistance that my helmet showed. If it had been another helmet, another brand, I would probably be dead. There is no better evidence than this fall to testify the strength of the KEP Italia helmets, for sure unparalleled, my head had no consequence, no shock, no pain, all the impact of the schock was absorbed by the helmet. The interior of the helmet was neither deformed nor broken. It’s incredible. And now I only have to thank the producers of KEP for saving my life. An endless thank you.”

Watch the video of Almudena’s fall here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ferK4CQKI&feature=youtu.be.

catembi

Visit site
I had a very hard fall while jumping & fell on hard ground with a real whack. My (Champion) hat made a 'crack' noise...but it didn't fall apart. It still looked exactly like a hat. Something inside it must have broken to absorb the shock, but it remained in place, & if I'd have got accidentally kicked as well, it would still have been on my head doing its job.

I know which hats I will buy in future, & which ones I'll avoid...

T x

KEP Italia

Visit site
Dear Catembi,
You are surely free to buy what you think is best for you. Many times our helmets react exactly the same way as yours did. Each fall is different and dynamics should be analyzed in detail before coming to conclusions. Please see the video we shared about Almudena Terrasa's fall: the helmet did not come apart in that occasion, while in fact you would have expected it should.
Each impact and each fall and each accident has its own dynamics, just like in car accidents.
Thank you.

conniegirl

Visit site
This is my Champion hat after being landed on by 600kg of horse in a rotational fall onto concrete and then the horse kicked me or stood on my head when getting up. Note that it is still hat shaped and would have taken a 3rd blow if nessecary.
hat002.jpg
[/URL]

The hat was probably at least 5 years old and had had several minor falls prior to this major one, I walked away from the fall with no concussion or damage to my head or face.
Sorry but I would never ever trust a hat that fell apart like the OP's and I think it absolutly disgusting that KEP are refusing to aknowlege a genuine safety problem.
The damage done to the original posters hat is what I would expect to see had she been hit by a car, not from any reasonable normal fall let alone a gentle tumble onto grass.

Last edited:

KEP Italia

Visit site
Dear Conniegirl
we are also quite surprised that the the Original Poster Mrs. Andrea Smith's helmet broke like that after a gentle fall on the grass. Maybe she did not realize the strength of the impact or the power of her fall, or maybe her horse stepped on the helmet after she fell. KEP Italia helmets undergo all sort of testing that they need to pass to be homologated by some of the most severe safety certification bodies in the world and when they undergo these tests, they never come out in that state as Mrs. Smith's helmet. It is quite difficult to believe that she encounter a soft fall on soft grass. In any case we are glad you were wearing a helmet when riding: this is the most important thing to say. All riders should wear a helmet, and possibly a safe helmet. To find out how 'safe' a helmet is, the only key is the quality and quantity of homologations a helmet meets. Thank you.

KEP Italia

Visit site
DANNY GRANT
On Friday 26th of June, Danny Grant, the Irish jockey protected by KEP Italia, had a fall. Following is the complete report released by www.irishracing.com Saturday 27th June 2015:

Danny Grant was taken to hospital following a fall from Waydownsouth in the Irish Stallion Farms European Breeders Fund 'Ragusa' Handicap at the Curragh on Friday evening. Grant's mount crashed to the ground early in the mile-and-a-half event, which was won by the Mick Halford-trained Shadagann. The rider was reported to have been knocked out for two minutes, but was fully alert afterwards and taken for checks on suspected left wrist and lower back injuries. A stewards' inquiry concluded the eight-year-old had clipped heals after a furlong and a half, leading to his fall.
Turf Club chief medical officer Dr. Adrian McGoldrick was full of praise for Grant's helmet and back protector, as he got a kick from a following horse. He will be automatically stood down for six days as a result of his concussion. Dr. McGoldrick said: 'You can see the dint in his helmet, where he was kicked. There is no doubt the helmet and back protector saved him’.

KEP Italia

Visit site
Following is a message we received the 23rd of June 2015 by Mrs. Louisa Jackson.

Dear Kep,
I have recently had a fairly nasty rotational fall resulting in the most of the body of my horse landing on my head, the doctors have said that the Kep jockey skull saved my life... A huge thank you for producing such comfy and life saving hats!
Many thanks, Louisa Jackson.

conniegirl

Visit site
KEP I am highly dubious of any hat that falls apart like that in any fall, I have seen hats that have been run over with less damage.
The OP has an email from yourselves offering to repair the hat, I'm sorry but that offer alone screams dangerous and micky mouse company with no regard for safety

When you accusse your consumers of lieing you are on a very very slippery PR slope. May I suggest you get a proper PR person to deal with this for you.

Oh and I would stop posting the supposed reviews. Anyone can type out fake reviews onto any website. Posting them only harms your credibility. If you were to post Links to reviews or reccomendations from independant sources, like news paper articles or publicly available test reports then that would improve your credibility.

Last edited:

KEP Italia

Visit site
On January 6th, 2014, we received this letter from Gillie Hutchins, from the UK:

“A massive thank you to all of you at Kep!
This morning my 14 year old daughter had a horrible fall from her pony. Through sheer bad luck he caught her on the ground, standing on her head before cantering off. The hospital cannot believe she escaped with only grazes to her face! The hat certainly saved very severe damage..... at least. She did not even suffer with concussion and the consultant said that the hat was the best purchase I have ever made! The hat has a small crack from the impact but has saved my daughter! Thank you so very much.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I entirely agree with Conniegirl, you are no favours to yourself here. The video is horrid and I'm glad you say the lady was fine, but equally it does NOT show the hat afterwards to prove anything about how it absorbed the impact?
I would never buy one of your hats based on how you have conducted yourself here, accusing customers of lying, offering no sympathy to the OP, only that you are sorry she has posted what a poor job one of your hats did! Absolutely horrified by your reaction KEP italia, think you might need to reassess how you deal with criticism in a more positive light...

Last edited:

Llanali

Visit site
No the video doesn't look fake, but we also cannot see the hat afterward.

And that review? I could type that now.

KEP Italia

Visit site
CATHERINE PASMORE

On the 6th of February 2015, we received this email by our testimonial from the USA:

“I wanted to let you know that I fell off last week quite badly, straight on my head. Thanks to my KEP helmet, I only had a minor concussion but was able to ride again a day later. Someone else who fell off the same day in a different helmet, ended up with a brain bleed. I am so so grateful for the amazing KEP technology and am proud to be a part of the KEP team! Thank you!!!”

KEP Italia

Visit site
ROBBIE POWER

On the 6th of March 2015 we received this message:

“Just in case there was any doubt about the safety of KEP Italia Helmets just look at the protection Robbie Power got at Leopardstown last Saturday when he not only sustained a crashing fall but survived a massive kick to the head. NO CONCUSSION AND CHELTENHAM BOUND!!!! Says it all really. KEP Italia Helmet the best head protection money can buy.”

ester

Visit site
I am truely astounded by KEP's response to this and postings on this forum.

All the good reviews in the world do not mitigate the fact that you have an unsatisfied customer, whom you have accused of lying rather than taking the (rather important) situation seriously. The OP has a hat in pieces and you responded offering a repair or replacement... REPAIR of a hat after a fall...do you not comprehend that the concept of that alone has people in shock let alone that the hat in question is now in several pieces.

ester

Visit site
More reviews....

KEP I would suggest it would be better for your brand if you stopped posting or got a better PR person on this asap....

KEP Italia

Visit site
As far as contacting Mrs. Andrea Smith, we would like to all of you know how that as soon as we came to know about the incident, we contacted Mrs. Smith writing to her on Facebook, since we had no faster way of getting in touch with her. She replied nicely and openly to us on Equi Med Ag Ltd page and she also told us she would call us. We told her that we were glad to have a chance to talk to her. When she called the person who answered the phone had not been informed about this issue and didn't know who she was. She thus received the standard answer, including the request to provide photos via the retailer when she had bought the helmet. We usually ask our customers to at least see the photos, so that we can see what the issue is. Of course in Mrs. Smith's case, the helmet cannot be repaired.
As soon as we realized that she had called and spoken to an uniformed person, understanding that she had assumed that the standard answer had been given to her by someone who was instead informed of the facts, we tried to get in touch with her by writing her a private message on Facebook, but receiving no answer. So we wrote on the Equi Med Ag Ltd Facebook page asking them to let her know we were trying to contact her and to please ask her to call again or leave us her contacts.
In the meantime our local distributors and retailers were given her email and number, so communications will now be direct and clear.

We surely stand behind our helmets and the protection they offer. Again we repeat that a part from the words that we could post in order to explain everything, homologations speak for themselves. All of you are aknowledged people who can appreciate the importance of the most severe safety standards on an international basis. We are sure you all understand the importance of wearing a good quality helmet when riding, no matter the brand. This is the important part. We are committed into producing the best helmets we can, and we shall continue to be do this with an enthusiastic and focused attitude.

We wish you all safe riding.

ester

Visit site
So it is standard to offer hat repair after a fall.

We also know that homologations are a standardised test, they are the best we have but cannot replicate every real life situation so consumers will often not rely on them alone.

Last edited: