Was it love at first sight?

ihatework

Visit site
I think the only one that met the love at first sight was an event horse called Jack I had many years ago. Ironically I turned him down having been talked out of it by my ‘expert advisors’. Thankfully he didn’t sell and no other prospective purchaser he allowed to ride him, so he kind of chose me and the owner called me back and I got him for free!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Most of mine with the exception of two, have "found" me rather than the other way around. On two occasions this was when I'd gone to see the "other horse" and the one I hadn't actually gone to see but which was there, was the one I came home with.

One of my old boy's literally turned up overnight in my field and was looking over the gate at me the next morning! The livery's OH had bought him and brought him home late at night; and had popped him in the field - knowing I wouldn't mind! OH then sold him on to me!!

Current one was everything but everything I'd said I didn't want: i.e. mare, pony, coloured hairy cob with lots of feather (four reasons!!), and youngster! I'd gone to see the "other horse" and she came up to me in the field and basically stuck her nose in, and "chose" me. Cheeky little mite! I ended up bringing her home, best decision I ever made.

Britestar

Visit site
4 of them yes, because I watched them being born. Adored them immediately.
Rescue I felt sorry for and he is so cheeky, love him to bits.
Coloured cob had him in to break, he's still here 17 yrs later...
Last one in, always liked her as she belongs to a friend. Now she's with me I love her to bits as well.

Ratface

Visit site
Whilst I am very attached to my Arrogant Old Horse, and will be devastated when he goes - he's rising 30 - my horse of a lifetime was Ryazan, a beautifully bred Crabbet/Old English ex working stallion.
He had been gelded and sold on several times, due to his intractable behaviour, when being handled by people whom I would have identified as fools in respect of their capacity to understand horses.
I met him when I went to view another horse and saw him terrorising a thug weilding a pitchfork.
I enquired if he was for sale, and was told that I'd never be able to handle him because he was "a killer.
I took the lead rope from the thug, politely told him to go away and stood next to Ry, relaxing my body posture and slowing my breathing.
I made them a bad offer and rode him home that day.
He was certainly a horse with attitude, but never, in my opinion, "a killer". Consistent quiet, fair management ensured my safety and delight on every occasion that I rode him. He was very fast, but stoppable, responded to breath and weight aids, jumped well, as long as he was left alone to find his own stride, and was perfect to handle by anyone who didn't try to bully him.
He was pts at 28 when his sacroiliac joint made it difficult for him to get up after lying down. Apart from that, he was a shining picture of health, and died watching hounds work along a ridge a couple of miles away.
I still miss him dreadfully.
"

MuddyMonster

Visit site
No.

But he was sound and ticked some of the boxes, the rest I thought I could work with.

I didn't fall in love with my OH on the first date either, so don't expect to with a horse!

I feel like I should clarify, I love the bones of said pony now ?

So much so, I told my OH on our first date that he'd always come after the pony (and any subsequent ponies) in my affections just so he knew up front what he was getting into ?

Peglo

Visit site
Yes. He was 5 and much younger than I was really after but hard to find the 7 years plus ponies.

They said he wasn't massively friendly but he nuzzled me when I was grooming him. The most wonderful pony. Temperament of a saint, kind and loving. Took me to places I never thought l would go.

On Friday I lost him to a very rare stomach condition after 15 years. Every day I loved him more. My heart breaks.

In time I will get another but I doubt I will ever feel the same.

it always feels that way. I lost one of my cats and I would say that was the closest to depression I ever want to get. I actually got a couple of new cats a month later. They were ferals and needed a lot of taming and I just had to get on with working with them. I felt for a long time they would never come close to how I felt about my other cat but as they do, they have their own special place in my heart. It’s not the ‘same’ as they aren’t the same. They have their own place that is none better or worse than my old cat.

I rushed into getting new cats as that’s what I needed to do. It worked well for me. But there is no right or wrong time, it’s very individual. Just make sure your not trying to replace that love.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i think with any new animal in your life, where that's replacing one you've lost or one you've parted with in another way like selling, it's important to not constantly search your feelings to find out if you feel the same about the new one. The harder you try, the more it seems to make affectionate feelings "shy" for want of a better word. accepting each animal for themselves and just allowing time for your lives to mesh together has always worked for me.

I've never really been able to go and choose a horse, they've all sort of found their way to me by *circumstances* so it's been a case of learning to like them, and sure enough they have all become very special in their own unique ways :)

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
it always feels that way. I lost one of my cats and I would say that was the closest to depression I ever want to get. I actually got a couple of new cats a month later. They were ferals and needed a lot of taming and I just had to get on with working with them. I felt for a long time they would never come close to how I felt about my other cat but as they do, they have their own special place in my heart. It’s not the ‘same’ as they aren’t the same. They have their own place that is none better or worse than my old cat.

I rushed into getting new cats as that’s what I needed to do. It worked well for me. But there is no right or wrong time, it’s very individual. Just make sure your not trying to replace that love.
Peglo.. I did that too with my dog, I missed having a boy dog so much , we were supposed to be going out for the day on a road trip. We drove up past milton sspca and hubby said , do you want to go in? Have a wee look.. he knew exactly what he was doing that day.. we had the kids with us at the time and I thought , no Its only been a month… and then thought fudge it..
went in and saw a few but nothing that was the right one.
then they said we have this one dog just been brought in , he has no hair, hes been starved and shot with air rifles, frightened with bursting balloons, cigarettes burned on him. My heart was broken already, Here he came, this massive brindle staffy.,, harry! Soon to be the love of my sons life. They said we will keep him on a lead as we havent fully assessed him yet!! He pulled the lead out the staff members hand, ran to my husband.. peed up his leg and ran to my 7 year old son ethan, he sat beside him , licked his face and did not move and that was the happy ending they were inseparable , they are still best pals now. Harry is coming up on 13 ♥️

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
No.

But he was sound and ticked some of the boxes, the rest I thought I could work with.

I didn't fall in love with my OH on the first date either, so don't expect to with a horse!
Neither did i! I gave him a couple since the first one was a blind date we knew nothing about through mutual friends! I was gonna hump and dump after a couple of times.. here we are 27 years later lol ?

Snowfilly

Visit site
For most of mine, no. There has to be an attraction but it’s not a huge thing, I just have to go ‘yes, I can imagine seeing that head and riding that gait every day for the rest of their lives.’

My little yellow horse who I got when I was 14 though… I walked into the yard, saw him tied up, he turned to look at me and it was like something clicked in the universe. I don’t know the explanation but that horse and me were meant to find each other. I couldn’t have left the yard without him, and I loved the very bones of him.

I don’t think I’ll ever find another horse who suits me as perfectly as he did; he had a bowed tendon, a tendency to jog sideways instead of walk and he tried to eat my first boyfriend but he was the best horse I ever knew.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I fell in love with my retired mare before I ever saw her and rode her, just from a phot and a phone call. I asked her owner a few questions on the phone, and then weirdly for me, her name. Not something I would ever ask until actually trying the horse. He told me she was called Dolly, I instantly knew I would buy her, no idea why that name resonated with me so strongly.

I went to try her, couldn't wait to get on her and didn't want to wait for a vetting to get her home. He agreed I could take her on 2 weeks trial and get my own vet to look her over, I told him if I bought her I would never sell her.

One of the best horses I ever bought on instinct alone and I still value her hugely as my beautiful big field ornament after retiring her due to residual problems after Lymes disease. I hope she is with me for many more years to come.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes and yes.
I’ve never got on a horse that I felt so at home on. She worked in an outline straight away for me (I just thought she was incredibly easy until other people, who I know ride well, have struggled riding her). When I tried her over fences I felt like I couldn’t stop, but equally I didn’t care, I felt safe! She’s absolutely been my horse of a lifetime, we have always been in tune with one another and a team. She’s now 25, retired and getting to a stage where I have to make that awful decision soon. I owe her a pain free end. (I’ve been close to making that decision a few times over the past four years, and have asked opinion on here twice, but she’s always pulled through!)

Pippity

Visit site
No and no.

I was already fed up of looking, after only three weeks and one failed vetting. This one ticked all the must-have boxes, none of the must-not boxes, and she passed the vet. Also, she had far better movement than you'd expect of a cob of her build.

She was rising six when I got her, had been imported from Ireland a year earlier, and had spent the year being passed from dealer to dealer, each of them schooling her up a bit and selling her on. She was completely shut down with no concept of people as something you could interact with, and just trudged along doing what she was told.

I made a LOT of mistakes in that first year of owning her. I listened to the wrong people, rather than trusting my gut, and she suffered for it. But she put up with it, she put up with me, and she gradually came out of her shell and started having a personality.

It's nearly four years later, and I sometimes wish she had a bit less personality! She's cheeky and opinionated and sensitive, but she hides how sensitive she is. Willing, kind-hearted, genuine. If she thinks you're being fair, she'll try her heart out for you. If she doesn't think you're being fair, she sets her neck and shoulders and does exactly what she wants!

She puts up with me being a nervous rider, even though she isn't especially confident herself, and does her best to look after me. She's absolutely one in a million.

Redcow-hat

Visit site
My little yellow horse who I got when I was 14 though… I walked into the yard, saw him tied up, he turned to look at me and it was like something clicked in the universe. I don’t know the explanation but that horse and me were meant to find each other. I couldn’t have left the yard without him, and I loved the very bones of him

This is how I felt about mine, I've never been able to find the right words but this summed it up for me. The second I saw him I knew he was mine and I was his. I had no intention of having a horse and no money but I felt like I didn't really have a choice in the matter, it was decided as soon as we saw each other. Never felt like that about anyone else, horse or human, don't believe in love at first sight or soul mates and am not a soppy person by nature. He's objectively nothing special but we just get each other.

Snowfilly

Visit site
This is how I felt about mine, I've never been able to find the right words but this summed it up for me. The second I saw him I knew he was mine and I was his. I had no intention of having a horse and no money but I felt like I didn't really have a choice in the matter, it was decided as soon as we saw each other. Never felt like that about anyone else, horse or human, don't believe in love at first sight or soul mates and am not a soppy person by nature. He's objectively nothing special but we just get each other.

Exactly that, I’m 20 years down from the line from meeting him now and I never had that feeling again. Not horses, dogs or humans.

Soul mate or meant to be or something; it was something beyond words, and I’m glad I got to experience it.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Yes. Absolutely not the pony for me on paper, but my heart took over.
Travelled from Nottingham to Darwen & came home with this little guy.

20664509_10155785657214739_5194305162447593671_n.jpg

7 years later.

296398658_582741006774343_233898346493728607_n.jpg

Zoeypxo

Visit site
After a failed vetting on a horse i fell in love with straight away i didnt think id find another. Saw an advert in the local newspaper, no picture, just ‘16hh wb x ish mare’. Went to view, big fat orange horse stood there staring at me ! Loved how she was to ride, loved how substantial she was size wise and lovely temperament. Also passed a 5 stage vetting so took her home the next week.
She has never been easy but so so worth it. 8 years later.

SEL

Visit site
Head over heels for my Ardennes the moment I set eyes on him and he's made me smile every day since

The Appy was an odd one. She'd been given to my YO and was very angry and lashing out at every human who came into contact with her. I knew 100% she was going to end up with me. It was the oddest feeling because I wasn't really horse hunting - esp not for a screwed up 4yo. But she decided I was her human and that was that.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I didn't much even like Kira when i first got her. she was rude and difficult and fairly dangerous. i also didn't think she was very nice looking. They really get into your heart, if you let them. I adore her now and think she is beautiful to boot! still fairly difficult :p

Salty was a very uninspiring sight, she came from the cheapo now defunct local Brightwells sales, was bedraggled and exhausted from travelling but I knew i was going to try and buy her just from the listing in the catalogue. She is broken beyond repair but such a special character.

Dear Millie, i inherited Millie at work when she was still at the rescue because she was messy in the stable and no one else wanted to muck her out. Turned out to be a match made in heaven. I'm really not concerned about the love at first sight thing... it generally works out in the end anyway if you can let it.

catembi

Visit site
It's happened twice. The first time I saw Catembi ridden, I thought, mmm, you're the one, and as soon as I got on him, that confirmed it. Ditto Thor (current horse). When the dealer was riding him, I thought, you're the one, and the second I got on him, I thought, you're my horse. It was stronger with Thor. There were a lot of horses in between, so I thought that Cat was a one-off. Thor ticked no boxes on paper - ex-racer (nope, had one), TB (nope, had two), 17hh (nope - I am 5 ft 1), 9 (nope - I usually like 3-5, unbacked or just backed) but he was simply my horse and that was that. No ifs, buts or maybes.

daffy44

Visit site
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The mare that changed my life I bought because I felt sorry for, and I spent the first few months thinking how on earth can I send her back, because I've made a terrible mistake.... I couldnt work out how to send her back so she stayed, and I ended up totally in love, she was amazing.

Another mare, I saw her on video first, didnt really like her, went to a yard to try a few horses, tried her just because she was there, and the second I sat on her I felt like I'd come home, never had that before or since, I would have bought her there and then without even taking a single step. I did try her, more because I didnt want to look silly! Loved her, bought her, she was incredible her whole life, one of the best things that ever happened to me.

The horse in my avatar I bought on the strength of a 10sec video on a phone when he was two weeks old, couldnt really even say why, just something about him, pure instinct I suppose, never regretted it for a second.

Hannahgb

Visit site
I didnt like the look of Zig at all in the stable, but was persuaded to try him. As soon as I sat on him, that was it, I was hooked.
The other two I bought as unbacked and unseen from photos. So liked the look of them, both were very underwhelming and skinny on arrival, but almost made me like them more. They grew as did their personalities

palo1

Visit site
I absolutely fell in love with my Irish horse - thinking of the first time I saw him still gives me goosebumps! A small black horse with a star stood in a dusty barn - much smaller than I wanted (just about 15hh), not a dressage prospect, was being sold by a dealer and had a horrible history. He was a troubled horse and had many issues but I kept him and loved him every day until the end came 15 years later. I learnt to do what he could manage rather than what I chose to! Other horses less so really but current senior horse so impressed me with his presence and beautiful manners as a 3 year old that I decided to buy him in spite of, again, him not quite ticking the boxes I had lined up!! He has been a gentleman every day of his life, has more quality than I will ever need or deserve to feel and is completely embedded in my heart. He has enabled me to do things I could never have dreamed of and his generosity of spirit is utterly inspiring. I adore him. I doubt I will see his like again and every day I have with him is really precious. My little black mare (current junior horse) bought me in fact! I was able to choose from a number of lovely youngsters at her stud; many were really impressive in fact but I kept being drawn back to a very small, plain, workmanlike mare that her breeder described as 'old fashioned'. She did everything she could to draw my eye; walking up to me, walking in front of other horses I was trying to look at, continually putting herself between my eye and the other young horses lol!! The two horses I was most drawn to were similar; one was the cheapest youngster of the group and one the most expensive. Alw simply chose me; I knew that at the time even though I felt slightly uncomfortable with that, but I also I knew enough by then to know that this was probably a good thing. I have felt entirely at ease with her since that day and backing her and riding away just felt like we had both been there before with each other. It is a strange feeling that I can only describe as a deep and immediate bond with each other. I have been lucky to have all of the horses I have had but the 3 above have all been particularly extraordinary for me in emotional connection terms.

scats

Visit site
Millie had a bit of a rough deal for that first year because I constantly compared her to Diva. Even though she was in no way a replacement for her, it was hard to go from the absolute love of life who was completely perfect, to a mare who just wasn’t Diva in any way.
I went from hacking on the buckle with Diva to being on board a snorty, spinning and bogging off type. Diva was also so affectionate, whereas Millie likes to be left alone.
I had to remind myself that there will never be another like Diva and I had to love Millie for who she was, even if I knew deep down she would never be as perfect for me.
Four years on and I love the bones of Millie. She’s not Diva and I’ll likely never get that relationship with a pony again, but I love Millie for who she is and I think she’s secretly fond of me.

Equi

Visit site
When I first met my old horse I thought he was awful. Wrong colour, too big, horrible attitude, not affectionate in any way. Then I rode him and decided to give it a go. He won me over and became my most prised ever horse. New boy took a lot more bonding and is a decent horse but still not quite the same league.

sjdress

Visit site
My horse of a lifetime yes, she tested me and pushed her boundaries at the beginning but we seemed to have a good bond immediately. 16 years on and I still love her dearly! Another horse I had for a short while, No! We never really got a bond and I don’t think either of us really enjoyed each other!