Watchdog!

mightymammoth

Visit site
I am loving this piece by watchdog! Fantastic to have scum exposed for what they are...

Poor Queenie:( good on redwings, I know this is an excellent PR campaign for them, but good on them, so glad those girls can spend the rest of their days with them

agree 100% can't wait to see him confronted, vile scumbag

Queenbee

Visit site
Sounds like a nightmare dealer.

Question though: if they now know that horse is 2.5 yrs why on earth are they riding it? Poor thing.

Edit: Wonderhorse you beat me to it!!

Made me laugh when she said 'we didnt want a young horse, they told us it was four' erm, four is a young horse.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Anyone know what the actual diagnosis for queenie is/was?

No I think that they think the ickle viewers could Not understand a proper explanation .
Let's hope they end this piece with some proper advice so people take responsiblity for making sensible choices and get purchases vetted.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Feeling a bit frustrated by this, so you buy a horse, don't get it vetted, when you find out it's broken you hand it over to Redwings! Hope they have got some proper advice coming up.
*disclaimer I did miss the bit at the start of Loopy, did they explain Redwings?

They haven't yet.

TbH, I understand Loppy going to Redwings, but if Queenie is that bad I do feel she should be PTS now, rather than stringing it out :(

Queenbee

Visit site
Little_Critter I wondered the same thing. Also why have none of them had the horses vetted?!

Not excusing disreputable dealers but at the same time I would never purchase a horse without vetting.

on this subject, I do think the first woman did get the horse vetted after purchase by the sounds of it, and he stated that they have x amount of days to get the horse vetted after sale. Bit of an odd way to do it to be honest, but she clearly did consult with a vet as she said the vet was not fit for purpose and returned it.

horsebenny

Visit site
Re the vetting, the dealer bloke said if during the 14 day trial the horse failed the vet you get your money back so I suppose the 'guarantee'....daft I know but that's the way they get punters to part with money up front...

Parachute

Visit site
Feeling a bit frustrated by this, so you buy a horse, don't get it vetted, when you find out it's broken you hand it over to Redwings! Hope they have got some proper advice coming up.
*disclaimer I did miss the bit at the start of Loopy, did they explain Redwings?

They were actors :D
Redwings was just checking them but I think Queenie may be PTS.
And i'm sure they didn't get vetted to see how Kelly would sell them :eek:

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Queenbee - yeah I realised that was their process when watchdog went to buy Loppy. Still I would have refused to hand over money until I'd had the horse vetted though perhaps we have more experience than those on the show who clearly thought this was standard procedure.

case895

Visit site
This man isn't anywhere near the worst there is around, but the BBC won't take members of that 'community' on or even show them in a bad light.

Anyone who buys a horse without vetting first is an idiot.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
The 14 days is a load of tosh as a dealer the buyers are covered by the sales of good act..its 28 days why has watchdog not mentioned this? Bad bad artical and mis leading dodgy as the dealer is, he's played by his own rules. Wd just never picked him up on it

galaxy

Visit site
The item could have redeemed itself by giving people some simple advise on how NOT to get ripped off at the end!

1. Take a knowledgble person to viewing

2. Have horse vetted BEFORE purchase

(3. Get a reasonable budget and a better idea of what would make a suitable horse!!!!)

SKY

Visit site
You can get many a good all rounder for £1000, but on donedeal there seem to be quite a few cheaper horses as trade isnt there. A lot £3000-£4000 as well but loads under £1000 allrounders. Hope they name and shame more like that.

be positive

Visit site
That was a badly thought out way to try and catch out a rogue dealer, the horse Queenie would have failed a vetting, not sure how the broken bones in its legs were diagnosed:confused: but it should have been returned under the terms of sale for a full refund, that option was offered but not taken, luckily for the horse but not really a way to catch out the dealer.
The fact that 20% of sales are returned is rather telling but most people buying horses in that price range are likely to be buying a potential problem and no mention was made of vetting pre purchase, trying properly or the fact that a bargain horse may not be all that it seems.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
He he, glad it was on prime time but still not sure it delivered the right message.
Oh, I think they did - the right message being - avoid this dodgy dealer at all costs!

And just in case any-one does a search in future the dealer is Kelly's Cobs. I haven't seen the name as far as I've read up to now.

Montyforever

Visit site
The people with the bay cob that was 2.5 instead of 4 etc are very good friends of mine so I know them very well. (I'm the "friend that ended up in a&e" ..:eek:)

They were looking for a safe cob (regardless of age) and when viewing him were told that he was 4 and he was perfect throughout the viewing. Yes they should have had him vetted but that still wouldn't have shown up the behavioural problems would it?

He's now just turned 3 so is being lightly ridden, no more than any just broken youngster would be. They care very much about their horses, and wouldn't do anything to harm Woody.

Obviously once they found out about his real age they could understand why he was behaving the way he was but rolling when being ridden is a very dangerous habit which to be honest I can't see him outgrowing now (rolling is a get out behaviour for him, he's done it to me when being simply led down to the field because I wouldn't let him stop for grass :rolleyes:) .
I don't hold any grudges against him for dislocating my shoulder, he's only young and strong so me putting my arm at a dodgy angle while he barged me wasn't his fault. He has to learn, but he was sold as safe for small children to handle and ride this is the main issue here. Luckily he was bought in the middle of winter so the kids hadn't been up to ride/fuss him before they found out what he was like. But my friends are now stuck with a horse they are very unlikely to ever be able to sell and may never be fit for the purpose they bought him for.

It's just lucky the problems were spotted before he killed or seriously injured one of my friends grandkids.

Please don't rip her to shreds, she was unfortunately badly conned and is now in a difficult situation :(