Weekend plans :D

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Walked the course yesterday and ground is good. Then had a lesson and Amber was fine. She's great - I rode last Thursday then she had physio on Friday and a short walking hack on the buckle on Saturday on the advice of the physio - then not ridden at all until last night. And she was chilled and obedient, bless her, despite more or less 9 days off. So I am feeling better about tomorrow. The course has a few questions that may cause us (well me!) some trouble but then that is bound to happen when you step up a level. It all gets a but more tricky. So I just need to treat it as experience.

That's if I can get there! Heavy snow forecast for the Peak District in the morning. Tempting to go down tonight but I'm not ready and it will all be a bit of a rush doing that. Decisions, decisions...... On my own too this weekend as rest of family are all elsewhere so everything just feels that bit harder. And I am being hopelessly indecisive!

vickie123

Visit site
Woke up fed up with the howling wind. Enough already! However, my friend has cheered me up with tickets to see Carl and Charlotte ride at Keysoe this evening. Also looking forward to watching Maria Eilberg and Royal Concert.

scats

Visit site
Woke up fed up with the howling wind. Enough already! However, my friend has cheered me up with tickets to see Carl and Charlotte ride at Keysoe this evening. Also looking forward to watching Maria Eilberg and Royal Concert.

Have a fab evening.

Also woke up to yet more stormy weather today- 50mph winds and pouring down. My fields are under water and I’ve actually kept the girls in today.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Another day of howling wind to ‘enjoy’. My RI is away and I woke up feeling rubbish so I’m just going to do an easy schooling session with lots of bending and stretching and some work on walk/trot/walk transitions which have a tendency to be a bit stop and start. I’m also going to have to clip my little one as his full clip has grown out a lot and he’s now very itchy as he begins moulting and doesn’t tend to lose his coat until June. Lucky me eh!

Fiona

Visit site
The weather is filthy here too :(

Wet and v windy.

We took son and pony to indoor SJ last night and they were super with 3 DCs 50, 60 and 70cm. Need to be brave and start at 60 so she only needs to do 2 classes.

There was outdoor WH today, but I wimped out... Wouldn't have been any fun.

We turned the ponies out and son and hubby with some persuasion built a new jump....

Fiona

vickie123

Visit site
Have a fab evening.

Also woke up to yet more stormy weather today- 50mph winds and pouring down. My fields are under water and I’ve actually kept the girls in today.
Thankyou :) crumbs that sounds rubbish and worse than where I am. I hope it dries out for you soon. Looks a bit better next week.

Reacher

Visit site
Had thursday off work intending to have trimmer to horses, then have a SJ lesson woth Mr H and also have the Willy Washing lady (*) do Mr H at the SJ venue. Decided to cancel SJ and WWL due to forecast 40+ mph and not wanting to tow trailer, then winds seemed to drop in the afternoon so looks like I cancelled unnecessarily. However I did do some unaccustomed housework and took Mr H for a walk after.

(*) Having only heard of Willy Washing ladies recently I was gobsmacked to find one not that far away from here. Told colleagues at work yesterday - Willy Washing lady is referred to as the Horse Pervert by colleague.

Was supposed to have weekly flatwork lesson today but postponed last minute again due to 40+ mph winds. Mr H had another near miss with willy washing as I'd pressganged someone to do it after my flatwork lesson. Lesson rescheduled to tomorrow, hope weather improves, unfortunately Willy Washing Lady no 2 is pleading flu.

I am feeling a bit smug though as I cleared out the Room of Doom this morning (I know, no one likes a showoff!)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Ridiculously windy here too - I spent half an hour in the field yelling at it to F off, while trying to fill hay nets / wheel barrows with hay, which wasn't overly successful. Then I took Skye out to get her ridden before tomorrow - she was fine, but we were actually being blown off course at times, and then we met some men hiding behind a camoflage net in the hedge, shooting at a dead pigeon tied to a stake. Skye thought this was very odd - to be fair, I'm inclined to agree with her. Then there was a whacking great bonfire on the track we had to pass - fire is fine, but smoke in this weather is unpleasant... Wish I hadn't bothered!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Another thoroughly wild day here too. Nearly wimped out of travelling but opted for the most sheltered route and it was fine. We had a lesson first, trainer asked what I felt our weaknesses were so I said I wanted to work on the walk piris as I still don't feel like we are doing very good ones o_O and then the canter piris.
Her approach was quite different to what we are used to, which was interesting but didn't really encourage Kira to give her best work. She was spooking at the stuff flapping in the wind and rain and went very much behind my leg. She's difficult to ride when she's like that, and we were asked to work rounder and more collected than perhaps she could really manage when in that frame of mind. But it has definitely shown us where we need to go next, even if the actual session left me feeling a bit deflated.

She was pretty pooped by the time we did the test ride but other than a fluffed entry she more or less did a reasonable effort of the PSG test, no real howlers but just a bit flat for 64%.

I felt a bit negative about the whole thing as I was driving away but, rationalising, this is a trainer that I have previously struggled to hear the positives from - but they are there, she said she had a good hindleg and good movement and she complimented our positioning in the sideways and so on. I just tend to dwell hard on the weak spots which is why I benefit from super positive trainers ;) And to pull off a normal score on tired legs in horrid conditions in a new venue... would have been a tall ask even 6 months ago so actually i think it was a good day after all, duhhh :oops::rolleyes::D

bad hair day

54212951_2393842773960552_5177786708317437952_n.jpg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well done MP - loads of positives from that.

OBAC - learning the tests is definitely the hardest bit for me!

I spent the afternoon bathing Amber. We were both drenched before we even started and really all I did was transfer the mud from her to me! Then I loaded the lorry all ready for an early start and was just embarking on plaiting when got the call to say all competition at Stafford had been abandoned. Grrrrr. So now am scouring t'internet for somewhere to go with my glammed up horse and my adrenaline! I think showjumping would be the best bet....

Fiona

Visit site
Well done MP - loads of positives from that.

OBAC - learning the tests is definitely the hardest bit for me!

I spent the afternoon bathing Amber. We were both drenched before we even started and really all I did was transfer the mud from her to me! Then I loaded the lorry all ready for an early start and was just embarking on plaiting when got the call to say all competition at Stafford had been abandoned. Grrrrr. So now am scouring t'internet for somewhere to go with my glammed up horse and my adrenaline! I think showjumping would be the best bet....

Aww AE x Poor you. Hope you find some SJ to go to...

I spent an hour shampooing all three ponies tails, I'm sure they'll be black in another 24 hours...

Fiona

Bernster

Visit site
Ah yes just saw that about Stafford AE. That’s so annoying. Just spent hours getting the grey mud monster ready for dressage tmrw. It’s chucking it down and was v windy today but hopefully the forecast is right and it will improve tomorrow.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I saw about Stafford earlier and thought of AE. Such a shame when A is in a helpful mood!

I'm very grateful for an orange horse and the low turnout standards at TREC this weekend. She's out, and she's super feral. I mean, that half-grown out hog is a disgrace!

As for instructors - I don't trust them if they're positive. I presume they're lying, or humouring me. If they're not positive, I presume they're still just being polite, and deep down are thinking we're rubbish. If they say we're rubbish, I don't like it, but at least I believe them :p

(um, sorry, wasn't expecting that to embed like that :eek: )

Reacher

Visit site
. I just tend to dwell hard on the weak spots which is why I benefit from super positive trainers ;) QUOTE]
Thank f*** it's not just me!!
Sorry , had flatwork lesson this afternoon, Mr H disapproves of flatwork and was especially grumpy , falling in on the right rein and kicking out when I use leg to try and push him out. Instructor insists there were moments when he was going well yet I'm ready to burn my riding boots!

MP I'm in awe of your achievements

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Hope your dressage went ahead and went well Bernster.
I also like super positive instructors. And I especially like instructors who like Amber!

That looks like fun IHW. I was asked to make up a team chasing team with Amber. She would love it but I think it would blow her mind so I regretfully declined....

With Stafford abandoned I went show-jumping. A scrappy badly ridden clear followed by a much better 4 faulter. Both rounds are videoed but I have not seen them yet as it was a friend's phone.

I am a bit frustrated though as the 2 rounds were chalk and cheese but I am not sure why. If they were 6 months apart I'd just think 'hooray I've improved' but as they were about 10 minutes apart it is all just in my head!

If I am feeling brave I might post them for critique. See if anyone can work out why round 2 felt so different to round 1. Jonty Evans posted some video of him jumping making mistakes. He said he was posting as he thought it might encourage others to see that mistakes are normal and everyone is always trying to improve. I mean riding badly I hardly a crime so I should stop worrying, really! The worst anyone can say is Amber is getting me out of trouble all the time, as I am riding her like a numpty, and I know that already!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I am a bit frustrated though as the 2 rounds were chalk and cheese but I am not sure why.

Oddly had the same issue today - although trec, not jumping (alas, no jumping even in the trec!). Mare went a bit green and backward in my 2nd class (though still pulled a respectable PTV score for 3rd) but flew round the earlier class despite a few rider navigation errors, for 2nd (against a load of open combinations whose horses are much more established than she is). My fault, no doubt, she's generally a decent sort, so such is life - but it is slightly unsettling when you can't quite work out what changed!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Thank f*** it's not just me!!
Sorry , had flatwork lesson this afternoon, Mr H disapproves of flatwork and was especially grumpy , falling in on the right rein and kicking out when I use leg to try and push him out. Instructor insists there were moments when he was going well yet I'm ready to burn my riding boots!
Oh no!

Don't get me wrong, I don't want someone to tell me we're good if we're not, but I definitely need someone who believes in us and is enthusiastic about our efforts ;) that keeps me in the right frame of mind. I was ready to give up under a previous trainer who just made me feel so rubbish I dreaded riding.
Never again!

GG13

Visit site
I’m another who prefers a positive trainer.

IHW, team chasing looks like great fun :)

P jumped a super round in less than ideal conditions yesterday. I made a conscious effort to keep moving round the corners as I have a bad habit of holding and then messing up our rhythm. Had the last down as just a little bit too forward and made up too much distance in the double but that’s my fault!

Ended up only jumping the 1.05 in the end as the weather was getting worse and worse and I was worried about the drive home. Glad I didn’t hang around as by the time we got home the wind had picked up even more!

Bernster

Visit site
I still can’t get the hang of these blooming pictures! Anyhow, managed to avoid the rain snow and hail that came down after my 2nd test had finished and had a really lovely day out at BD quest. Don’t care so much about the scores or placing, as I was just so chuffed at how it all went and it felt like we were both much more relaxed.

Bit disheartened by the comments in both tests, which mainly said HE needed to be more supple, as he felt so much better than our previous attempts, so obv not quite as good as I had though. But decent scores of 64% and 65% in both prelims. Our team 3rd overall, in my indiv test I came 2nd in the quest section and 5th overall. I think that score might also count towards something or other but I’m new to this so still a bit bemused - friend said not pet plan but it could count towards the Irish draft champs - anyone know?!

C73D61F8-F0DA-4D35-87B5-9392C143C1A8.jpegC73D61F8-F0DA-4D35-87B5-9392C143C1A8.jpeg9DC4677E-C481-4DF8-A971-07F0E94941D8.jpeg9DC4677E-C481-4DF8-A971-07F0E94941D8.jpeg54FBE86D-BECB-4AF1-B038-6E1C38000FAA.jpegC73D61F8-F0DA-4D35-87B5-9392C143C1A8.jpeg9DC4677E-C481-4DF8-A971-07F0E94941D8.jpeg54FBE86D-BECB-4AF1-B038-6E1C38000FAA.jpeg

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Sorry for those whos plans changed and well done to those who did get out.

I finally made it to some stressage today after a cancellation last weekend due to the weather (and given the wind yesterday I wasnt sure we would make it out today either). However, with much less stupid wind I scrubbed up the donkey and off we went for only my 2nd ever novice test (and the donkeys) at a new venue.

Well, the flowers obviously eat horses and I did the first half of my test in a hail storm that started half way down the centre line (thanks then!!!), so not really ideal and he didnt appreciate it much either. Well deserved comments about suppleness (cant really say I blame him about not riding into the weather!) and contact (weather again!) but just under 64%, when I know that was nothing like his best I was quite pleased with.

He scrubs up ok for a mostly white field kept horse! :) Excuse my head, I didnt like getting battered by the weather either! IMG-20190317-WA0055.jpg

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
I'm very pleased so many people got out and had successful weekends despite the weather.

We had a very impromptu outing on Saturday to our local club grounds to jump some XC jumps. Henry was such a good boy, very confident even over some of the spookier jumps. the course doesn't suit him at all though, not open enough and very twisty o I decided not to enter an event on there next weekend.

Yesterday we went to a showman day just for off the track horses. My little horse was awesome, so calm in a new and busy environment. The highlight of the day was our show jumping round which was perfect! He is very clever. We finished third, and I couldn't be prouder!

1552870734762.png

Alibear

Visit site
Groundwork clinic was good fun, 3 short sessions and on the last one we started working on trot sideish pass in hand , good to have something new to work and I just need to get quicker on my feet :) Plus a reminder that she does need to work and I mustn't let her lull me into to asking for very little , which is she does by being very sweet and obliging but not quite giving a full effort, clever mare. Rode yesterday, decided to just try the curb and she was good about it, but it's too much for her at the moment so back on the shelf it goes for now. Felt like a good weekend where we answered a few questions and can crack on from here. I think my main challenge is do more cantering :D On Friday evening I discovered that if I keep riding and don't freeze up like a statue, then the canter is fine and not bouncy . Unsurprisingly if I keep riding Daisy is more confident and happy to continue. I know it's always me, but sometimes am a bit slow to figure out what it is I'm doing wrong ;)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well done Bernster! I think they could always be more supple couldn't they? So if you are already working on that and he has already improved then you sound like you are on the right lines. Great results ans scores x

Well done in awful conditions GG13 THO!

Lovely pictures (other)AE.

That looks like a gorgeous trail Northern

That clinic sound interesting Alibear.

Sadly the better video did not work so I only have the awful round on video which I am not sharing! So have a picture of Amber jumping invisible poles again instead in the 75.

54230556_2202234373189965_5822551983386525696_n.jpg

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Lots of dressage this weekend by the looks of it and great scores:D well done all!

Sunday's BD didn't quite go as planned, Rocky hates the venue - I don't blame him the warm up is tiny and is SO deep, the whole one long side was flooded, also people not knowing warm up arena etiquette.. so very hard to warm up!!
The indoor is very gloomy and banners and eye height flowers everywhere, luckily he wasn't too bothered about them! But people really have no respect when people are doing their tests.. many people keeping their voices down out of respect but during my round a woman decided to shout across one side to the other asking her partner for an extra 50p for the coffee machine!!.. and then squealing with delight when she saw someone she knew in the gallery o_O
So yep Rocky was tense and couldn't quite get him steady and collected enough.. scored 64% and 3rd.

Second test was much better in the trot.. more relaxed, better medium trot. But N30, so had to change the canter lead in trot on the diagonal.. I've practiced this so much at home as i was having nightmares of it going wrong.. he never put a foot wrong at home or in the warm up.. yet he went on the wrong lead in both changes :( but too be fair they were down the school heading towards the big doors and there was so much going on that he was cantering towards so I can kinda let him off and i watched the others after my class and every single horse took off on the wrong lead at least once ;) 4th place.
The judge marked really harshly consistently.. there were tears - not from me but from some harsh judging. I was quite disappointed seemed she couldn't find anything nice to write in the comment section.

It's always a bit rubbish when you felt your horse went well and was not the judges cup of tea.
My friend did her first BD this weekend after score 72/74% at unaff.. she scored 56% at aff and was heartbroken. It really is a different ball game getting 'proper' scores!

I still love my pony ;) it's back to the drawing board for us this week!

Video still below.

IMG_9712.jpg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Gosh that warm up sounds a nightmare! Well done for getting out there and it sounds like you both coped well with it all. x

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Gosh that warm up sounds a nightmare! Well done for getting out there and it sounds like you both coped well with it all. x
it really is horrible - doesn't set you up very well for the test.
It's 5 mins down the road from our place so convenient to get a couple of quick tests in, if it was further away we would bother.

Thank you AE, not our best day but he is a good lad :) ps, Amber made that 75cm look like 20cm!! HUGE jump! x