Weekend plans :D

Wheels

Visit site
Good outing for us today. Last show was a music and she got very anxious about the noise so today's objectives were
1. restore confidence in the test arena
2. attempt to get some of the quality we're developing at home

Mission accomplished on both counts :D She felt relaxed and happy in the warm up even though it was quite busy (9 entries in the PYO Advanced/PSG class, quite a lot for that venue) and really started to push up under the saddle in the trot and canter. Slightly miscalculated the warm up duration needed so I went in feeling like I hadn't quite done enough but tbh she usually changes so much between warm up and test arena, i figured it was not that important :p

Super chuffed to get Expensive Trot in the test arena too! This has been our bootcamp output, developing some really decent activity and more expression - the trot of an expensive horse ;)
All the trot work was easy and reliably forward, first time it's felt that good in the test - I've been run off with a few times and more often than not she clams up, so it was fab to feel the rideable power today. Forgot how to trot in the first 8m circle when she was distracted by 2 terrifying pigeons sitting on the side but we shooed them away to carry on well enough. She tried her little socks off in the extensions, confident tempis, piris not as connected as I would like but that was the hasty warm up coming back to bite us.
So the scores were not as consistent as they have been, but we got some 7s for the sideways trot bits that we haven't had before, really showing that the bootcamp is paying off and if we can get that again then the higher scores are within reach at last ;)

All nudging along :)
Contemplating trying some clicker training to get Kira to pose for photos because honestly this was the best of a bad bunch today :p

62344299_2535199583158203_3157402172082094080_n.jpg

I'm intrigued to know what sort of exercises you have been doing at boot camp to work on this 'expensive trot' - can you share something about it?

Chippers1

Visit site
Well after our amazing jumping yesterday, today we go to the local show and (after waiting for hours after my ridden showing class) he doesn't jump 🤷🏻‍♀️ stop at first, stop at second, stop at third then I retired. Not sure what was up with him, possibly not feeling well as there were a few things that would have made him react going on which he didn't react to....
Always feel like it's one step forward and two steps back with him. Trying not to dwell on it though!

Chippers1

Visit site
Oh and let's not forget the young colt who decided to get loose, run around and then try and mount various horses, including buzz 🙄 even as I was trying to get him out the way!!

Chippers1

Visit site
I'm going to give him a few days off and probably give him a week off jumping then see how he is, I hope he's ok

JFTDWS

Visit site
That's frustrating, chippers. Hope the mini break sorts him out.

Not my day either - took my mare out to the jumping field and popped some small fences, which she was good enough about mostly, but was getting a bit onward bound / silly after fences which was hurting my ankle. Think she was torn between finding it a bit stressful - long grass, undulating ground, jumps up and down hill, so a bit testing for her balance - and a bit exciting. Plus I was probably holding on to her more than usual and she may have reacted to that. To be fair, working on pulling up after fences, tackling hill fences from trot etc did settle her down a lot and she did lots of nice work - but it's taking a lot of focus not to start over-analysing it!

Then I took Fergus for hack bareback and hit the deck when he spooked and spun at a well choreographed pigeon display team who shot out in front of us mid canter (the first 4 were fine, it was the last pair that did it!). Very slow motion fall, mostly spent trying not to land on the buggered ankle! Scrambled back on and carried on, but I took one look at Dae in the field and decided discretion is the better form of valour and all that ;)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm intrigued to know what sort of exercises you have been doing at boot camp to work on this 'expensive trot' - can you share something about it?
Haha, yes can do. Background is that canter has been Kira's strongest pace since we started novice. It's been relatively easy to teach her to snap under behind, sit and push. So she consistently produces an advanced level canter which is punchy and easy to collect.
Trot has been a lot harder to develop. Where she comes through well in the canter, getting her to stay over the back and still active in trot is hard. If I let her bumble about with a novice type neck then the back swings, if you try and make her more active then she goes wooden in the hand (and Kira is exceptionally strong!), if you address that then the hindlegs pop out. She needs to concertina.

So bootcamp has been about pushing those 3 things all at once. Not exercises particularly, just insisting that she firstly stays through into esp the left hand, she is inclined to try and ping off it otherwise. Then tapping the hindlegs up until she twigged she had to do something other than buck 😂 this was a challenge but she got the idea so long as she was allowed to go slowly (this is how she started the half steps, so slowly and engaged is something she knows).
Then tapping the hindlegs while making the trot, um... faster, for want of a better word. Working trot speed, revving behind.
Expensive trot has come from that really, when she's freely forward , polite in the hand and super snappy active behind then the back lets go, and then we just steady the tempo and she starts to push into the air a bit.

Named as such because I said it felt like the smart horses I've ridden for other people 😂 Whole horse gets about 6" shorter from nose to tail as she comes up under the saddle, when trainer rode her it was obvious to see! She wears a 6'3 rug despite being only 14.2 and the long expanse behind the saddle vanished ;)

It's difficult for her brain but her body is capable ;) the half steps have gone up a level in quality as a result of all that, much easier to get the uphill posture that makes them feel easy.

zaminda

Visit site
Sorry to hear that Chippers, it may have been the wait I used to find that with one of mine and I suspect Tamba may prove to be the same!!
That's really interesting Milliepops although such a long way away from where I am now!!
We had a great day xc today although it's been rather a long one!! I live rather a long way away from the horses so we had to trek over to get him before turning around and going back again!! I haven't been to this venue before so arriving by the skin of my teeth and not having time to walk the course proved awkward!! Thankfully there were lots of jumps in a small space so I watched a couple and then winged it! There were some hay bales in the timed section to weave through which I guessed when I arrived there, but he jumped beautifully and clear to come second. It was an Eland lodge qualifier so technically he has now qualified for that too! OH seems to prefer the endurance though as he says it's a lot of effort for a few minutes of riding! He did get some good pictures though!IMG-20190609-WA0010.jpgIMG-20190609-WA0001.jpg

scats

Visit site
Hope everyone has had a nice weekend. Millie had a couple of days off because of a wingall looking puffier than normal, but within 24 hours it was back to size. Still, I gave her a further 24 hours off and then headed out this evening with a friend for a hack around the fields. She came storming out of the stable totally wired and was very buzzy and dramatic to hack. Her spooking is becoming much less stupid though, which is super. She now sort of slows or stops and susses the situation out rather than spin and run. She still does the occasional teleport or reverse, but much less frequently. Although something spooked both horses at one point and we very nearly set off down a hedgeline but they were easily pulled up within a stride.. again, another thing she has hugely improved over. She’s a compete drama queen but she’s quite hilarious really!

I’ve not really had much time to work Polly over the last couple of months. My back hasn’t been great and I’ve been really beyond tired so finding I’m totally drained after riding Millie, even if it’s just been a short hack. Decided to trial a new system of 2 days work and 1 day off for Millie and the opposite for Polly. Will see how we get on.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Oh no Chippers. Hope he is ok. Expensive trot sounds great! Maybe one day... Actually who am I kidding - BE 100 is still prelim so that's where we will be!!
That's brilliant Zaminda. Eland Lodge is an awesome venue so I'd definsitely take up your qualification spot if you can.

Jenny and Izzy's turn to compete today and Izzy was obviously inspired by Katie as she rode very positively to win a 90/95 cm SJ class with a lovely clear. Jenny is such a sweetie! It was a warm up for NSEA JwS Champs qualifier next weekend so let's hope they go as well when it actually matters!

62134716_2332296550183746_9023692191150637056_n.jpg

Wheels

Visit site
Haha, yes can do. Background is that canter has been Kira's strongest pace since we started novice. It's been relatively easy to teach her to snap under behind, sit and push. So she consistently produces an advanced level canter which is punchy and easy to collect.
Trot has been a lot harder to develop. Where she comes through well in the canter, getting her to stay over the back and still active in trot is hard. If I let her bumble about with a novice type neck then the back swings, if you try and make her more active then she goes wooden in the hand (and Kira is exceptionally strong!), if you address that then the hindlegs pop out. She needs to concertina.

So bootcamp has been about pushing those 3 things all at once. Not exercises particularly, just insisting that she firstly stays through into esp the left hand, she is inclined to try and ping off it otherwise. Then tapping the hindlegs up until she twigged she had to do something other than buck 😂 this was a challenge but she got the idea so long as she was allowed to go slowly (this is how she started the half steps, so slowly and engaged is something she knows).
Then tapping the hindlegs while making the trot, um... faster, for want of a better word. Working trot speed, revving behind.
Expensive trot has come from that really, when she's freely forward , polite in the hand and super snappy active behind then the back lets go, and then we just steady the tempo and she starts to push into the air a bit.

Named as such because I said it felt like the smart horses I've ridden for other people 😂 Whole horse gets about 6" shorter from nose to tail as she comes up under the saddle, when trainer rode her it was obvious to see! She wears a 6'3 rug despite being only 14.2 and the long expanse behind the saddle vanished ;)

It's difficult for her brain but her body is capable ;) the half steps have gone up a level in quality as a result of all that, much easier to get the uphill posture that makes them feel easy.

Makes sense, thanks for that

Chippers1

Visit site
It's just horses I suppose!
Sorry for terrible quality photo of camera photo (too lazy to download the photos 😅) but can we appreciate how clean I managed to get him for today, considering he lives out, loves a roll and it rained yesterday - I bathed him very quickly this morning!
Screenshot_20190609-203046_Gallery.jpg

Fiona

Visit site
Very clean indeed chippers....

Hope you get to the bottom of the refusing x x

No competing for us this weekend, except F and Daisy recorded their test for their online dressage competition between heavy showers this morning.

Fionn was lunged yesterday and did flatwork today, and we both have a dressage lesson at RC tomorrow night.

Fiona

DirectorFury

Visit site
Lovely photos and reports guys :).

I didn't actually leave the house/garage/garden this weekend (oops), must try harder next week. Unfortunately we've now got strangles in the area as well as equine flu so I might give up riding for a few months until I can get back on our 'good' routes :rolleyes:.

Jinx94

Visit site
First dressage test complete, and we didn't come last! :D

It was Tris' first time:
  • Working with multiple horses in the same arena
  • Seeing dressage boards
  • Seeing so many vehicles in a confined(ish) area
  • Seeing a judges box
I think he was so busy being nosy and looking at everything that he didn't have the brainpower to spook!

The sporadic concentration made life a little awkward. I struggled to get him as forward as usual, and I should have done a little more lateral work in the warm up to get him listening, but you live and learn. It didn't help that my focus was on getting the test done, and I didn't ride him as well as I could have.

HOWEVER, we finished in 6th place on 62.6%!! :D

The judge was very kind with her comments, and I had already noted most of the things we need to improve on as I was riding.

Ultimately, pretty pleased with that as a first competition and chuffed to bits with the boy. Can't wait for the next one!!

8ZlEjck.jpg

3o6A2eD.png

Mxnv6Mv.png

QHUVZH3.jpg

Visit site
I stayed dry on Saturday!!! And I had some truly lovely horses to judge! Its a shame that there were no standard breds forward for the classes they asked for and were specifically put on for them!

Racing yesterday was a bit of a mixed bag. We won the first, the horse in the second struck into himself going over the first fence so his racing career is over. We will patch him up and find him a suitable home in time. The horse in the 3rd needs to drop a little in the handicap but ran well enough. Chance ran well after a break and I'm not sure what to make of the bumper horse. I didn't watch the race as I took the broken horse home to beat the traffic.

Chippers1

Visit site
On reflection there were a few things that made me think he wasn't feeling well, so I'm putting it down to that. It's just unfortunate it doesn't fully manifest until I'm in the ring! He did have a go though, after each stop he did jump the fence but there was no point in carrying on. With only me in the class it would have been an easy win 😅
Well done everyone else.
Here's another pic from Saturday, he does enjoy jumping most of the time so I'm not totally mean to make him jump 😉
FB_IMG_1560150173900.jpg

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Love seeing everyone's photos, looks like it was a busy weekend!

Gave myself a good talking too and went to BD yesterday.
Rocky behaved perfectly I've got to give him credit he is always a good lad... he was spooking at a flipping white thing on the floor at A(the top had come off one of the railings and he is such a sensitive bugger) so we did some lovely leg yields and some face pulling, ah well.
Apart from the spooking, I was happy with his test given the circumstances and both our hearts weren't 100% in it I was trying my hardest to remember the test and not start balling my eyes out.

We got 64.58% and came 2nd :)
Also tried acoustic ears for the first time at a show and I really do think they helped his concentration, he felt with me and was nice and positive off my aids so i give them a thumbs up!

09-06-2019-16-55-26.jpg

09-06-2019-22-23-22.jpg
thumbnail_F7F66B16-E809-4E33-A5FF-7188F1C10795.jpg

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Topaz is mortally offended I took the training wheels off for our dressage on Sunday! No more hand holding, nannying :eek:, she had to man up and offer some self-carriage in an actual test! So not scores that will set the world alight (and to be honest all of the NW dressage bests seemed to be there so we were somewhat outclasses lol!), but solid clear rounds in AM 85 and AM 98 for two 64%'s and it means we're actually qualified for summers now... Still not sure if I should do AF's or Regionals...

Then to round it off the cat brought me a dead shrew :eek:, ate it and then threw it up in my house, I don't think I'm going to get over cleaning that up for a while o_O.

62131346_10157777444074925_6741265751656628224_n.jpg

Alibear

Visit site
I've had a lovely few days away at a clinic with Craig Johnson who is an American trainer and rider and has won all sorts. This was the Clinic I wanted to do this year. He's awesome because he has a raft of knowledge and very thoroughly talks you through the planned exercise and what/how it works and helps etc, but then crystallises and clarifies it just as you set of to ride it so you know exactly what you're doing. He's very good at assessing the riders and horses in front of him and tailoring it to fit you all.
On Thursday we got to move cows around and then for the other days we worked on ranch riding which included a few obstacles.
We managed to keep the cow away for a good length of time and in a calm manner so I'm really pleased with that; it turns out its all about the stop not the go when working cows. Also you have to keep straight lines , no curves. I can't read a cow for toffee but that will be fun to learn.
The venue very kindly lent me horses to ride to so I go a good work out and got to ride one very experienced and talented horse who just makes you grin, it was fun to do some proper (although half speed) spins, stops, rollbacks and extended lopes and I managed my 2nd flying change of the year. Which considering its been 13 years since I last did them I'm pleased with, although I did fluff the other 3 I tried. Have to work on 3 Ss:- Steering, Speed Control and Stop.
Tomorrow Daisy is off back there to stud so we'll see what we get next year :)

TPO

Visit site
I've had a lovely few days away at a clinic with Craig Johnson who is an American trainer and rider and has won all sorts. This was the Clinic I wanted to do this year. He's awesome because he has a raft of knowledge and very thoroughly talks you through the planned exercise and what/how it works and helps etc, but then crystallises and clarifies it just as you set of to ride it so you know exactly what you're doing. He's very good at assessing the riders and horses in front of him and tailoring it to fit you all.
On Thursday we got to move cows around and then for the other days we worked on ranch riding which included a few obstacles.
We managed to keep the cow away for a good length of time and in a calm manner so I'm really pleased with that; it turns out its all about the stop not the go when working cows. Also you have to keep straight lines , no curves. I can't read a cow for toffee but that will be fun to learn.
The venue very kindly lent me horses to ride to so I go a good work out and got to ride one very experienced and talented horse who just makes you grin, it was fun to do some proper (although half speed) spins, stops, rollbacks and extended lopes and I managed my 2nd flying change of the year. Which considering its been 13 years since I last did them I'm pleased with, although I did fluff the other 3 I tried. Have to work on 3 Ss:- Steering, Speed Control and Stop.
Tomorrow Daisy is off back there to stud so we'll see what we get next year :)

That sounds awesome! So chuffed for you and yay about the loping and changes :D

Who is Daisy going to? Crossing everything

Reacher

Visit site
Seems to been a busy weekend for everyone. Well done to those competing and hope everyone enjoyed themselves.
Well we went to camp, unfortunately it poured down and Xc (one of my main reasons for going ) was cancelled due to slippery ground (though replaced with an arena session). I think what was most useful for me was working in a group as Mr H finds this very exciting and gets a bit boisterous so working on keeping him under control (more or less) is good practice (normally I have solo lessons).
This was my bedroom for the night, the base of the tent needs pegging down to stop it curling up like a banana - so I tied corners to bale string with a plastic milk bottle of water which hung out if the trailer and weighed the corners down - was quite impressed by my inventiveness! 😂
1BF8D06A-9770-4CA7-9584-362C5B51D83A.jpeg
Unfortunately I didn’t get a wink of sleep what with the rain hammering down so was a bit shattered on the 2nd day 😴
There was a spillers feed rep there with a weigh bridge - Mr H has gone up from 485 kg last time I weighed him (end of winter a couple of years ago) to 503 kg - with a condition score of 7 - he is now on a diet!
They had a huntsman there giving a demo with his horn - i was in a jumping session when he started tooting and mr H, who hunted with a previous owner years ago, stood to attention then started dancing around- he definitely wanted to go hunting!
So mr H had a whale of a time though as you can see he too was shattered and ready for a holiday !

Attachments

• 32446048-3760-4482-9F2D-6A328385763D.jpeg
    32446048-3760-4482-9F2D-6A328385763D.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 9