Weekend plans :D

Bernster

Visit site
How long does it take before you take a breath and relax with a new horse?! ?. I think I have a way to go yet.

Having built up in my head that I haven’t jumped B since I tried him 2 months ago, I set up a little x pole out in the field as the hay has been cut. Went for a hack round the block, trotted around the field, and popped the x pole a couple of times. B behaved perfectly the whole time, thought we were cantering at one point but came back to trot straight away, popped the fence neatly (he jumps a bit with his front end and I was a bit defensive so need to go forward with him), and came back to trot easily.

So now I can go to the xc clinic on Saturday and I can say I have jumped him out in the field, and not fester about that. Plenty of other things I’ll fester about mind you, but at least not that one! ?

nikicb

www.facebook.com
How long does it take before you take a breath and relax with a new horse?! ?. I think I have a way to go yet.

See my post above!!! Ten months in (although the first 4.5 were in lock down so slightly different) and we still have wobbly sessions. Don't forget the change is big for them as well as us. You're doing great. :) x

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I think I’m the only person at work who actually uses it! We get 5 days a year and it comes in very handy.
I also get it but they are so specific on what you can use it for that I cannot get away with eventing volunteering. I used to work for another govt dept and they were much more flexible about it.

Alibear

Visit site
A quiet weekend for me as Amber is over at the trainers, but then next week will be fairly full-on. I've got a lesson on Monday and Tuesday to bring me up to speed with what Amber's been learning, and then the WES Nationals start on Friday. I've not yet done this show or the breed show, so that will be exciting. I just want to be pleased with some of our ranch runs over the weekend. So actually, I had better spend lots of time this weekend learning our patterns!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I also get it but they are so specific on what you can use it for that I cannot get away with eventing volunteering. I used to work for another govt dept and they were much more flexible about it.

Also unable to use my govt vol time for fence judging... :(

Sheep

Visit site
Took big horse for another lesson yesterday, OH on board. Went very well, making some good progress and coach is happy with their progress. Two lessons in one week was a lot but OH away with work again on Monday. He has given me some specifics to work on too
Dressage for me on Sunday, 2 x novice tests. The second is twisty and busy with 3 halts which will be interesting, there’s a bit of counter canter too which we are a little bit wobbly with but should be OK. A couple of girls from the yard are competing too, will be nice to head out together.
Not a weekend thing but will try and get my regular instructor out this coming week too.

Question for eventers-turned-dressage-divas (or vice versa) - is there, in your opinion, a difference in the dressage element between the two disciplines? I imagine the pure dressage approach isn’t really ever going to be wrong… but just curious!

Roxylola

Visit site
The biggest issue I've had with eventing dressage has been as he's getting more advanced there isn't enough in the tests to occupy him and we're getting a bit switched off in the 90 tests.
Accuracy, obedience and rhythm seem to get high results.

little_critter

Visit site
We’re off to Bicton AF tomorrow. An early start for us, we’re not quite as well prepared as I’d like but I’m not feeling as pressured as our last outing, so I’ll just see what we can pull out if the bag.
It’s a massive class (roughly 60 in total, split into 2 sections) so a placing is unlikely but I’d like to score better than last time.
Well we scored better than last time AND came away with a 7th place. A great day out ?

WelshHoarder

Visit site
Well today’s lesson was interesting… baby Welshie had a fit of the bonkers, got a bit overexcited over some simple poles, cantered and them tried bucking - nothing malicious, you could tell it was sheer exuberance, little monkey. Small child sat it well, so that’s another tick on his confidence booster list, but it did mean that the planned cantering and jumping turned into a lot of polework to get her listening to instructions and doing what she was told. They got there in the end though and managed some lovely work.

2219E9A5-9285-420A-A80B-F75FDD33F604.jpeg

I realised this evening that her non-heating balancer had got mixed up with my poor doer’s conditioning one when we sorted out new feed bins and husband had enthusiastically emptied out all the sacks - so he’s been feeding her rocket fuel all week! Thankfully she doesn't get much in the way of feed, just a handful to keep her quiet when the others are eating, but whatever was in that blew her brains… problem now solved, and she’s definitely off the conditioning mix! I’m just thankful the reaction wasn’t worse…

I think poor daddy is doing to be firmly re-attached to the end of the lead rope for mini XC on Sunday as some extra brakes, just in case!

Lexi_

Visit site
A surprisingly sunny day at Somerford ? I’m delighted tbh because the forecast said it would be grey and miserable today, and it’s definitely awful for tomorrow!

They always get a batch of big names coming up for the August international classes but wow, everyone was there today. It was an absolute pleasure to watch so much really classy riding, and some serious quality horses. I was moaning after Cholmondeley about people’s terrible cross-country riding so I should definitely praise the good stuff when I see it!

Have a bonus pic of Ros Canter because we all love a dun, don’t we?

6891CD0F-6183-451F-8C80-053A39EE7834.jpeg

Lexi_

Visit site
I’m packing about 5 different waterproofs for tomorrow and hoping I can stay in the car for most of it!

Reacher

Visit site
Quiet weekend here after exciting weekend last week.
Nothing today as weather is awful.
Watching some of my dressage training videos as I’ve got a bit behind on the online course plus a riders Pilates class on zoom tonight.
Time to focus on flatwork which has been a bit neglected as Ive been concentrating on (unfounded?) Xc concerns .
Flatwork lesson tomorrow and an evening lesson next week.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
No sight of lessons for me for another couple of weeks but I did watch a few others having lessons yesterday which was interesting. Went for a hack yesterday that ended up being a bit of a mission because we couldn't find the bridleway back. Still working on the confidence out and about - trying not to beat myself up for getting nervous, it's going to happen but hopefully if I keep working at it it will be less often/at a higher threshold. Possibly hacking out again today but just a short one this time!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Another really good lesson on Bo.

He's going through a real huffy teenager phase so wasn't sure how cooperative he'd be today, but he was golden.

He's becoming beautifully responsive and forward so now we are working on downward transitions as he has a horrible habit of stopping dead when asked to come back to walk from trot.

Worked on relaxing, slowing my rising and just waiting for him to come back to walk himself and praising him.

Really pleased with him. ?

Instructor has offered to have a sit on him next time which I think will be very good for him.

I've never really enjoyed riding lessons (not since I was a kid anyway) before but I genuinely look forward to these lessons. ?

Lexi_

Visit site
Well that’s another long day done at Somerford, although we were finished by 6.30 today which felt positively early compared to yesterday. Nice and quiet, didn’t have to fill in any fall report forms which is always a bonus, but did get through 3 different coats due to the rain ?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Loved it at Somerford. I’ve never pole picked before - done pretty much everything else - but it’s the best role for sure! Just so good watching the best riders in the world. Saw Ros, Oli, the Prices and so many more. Ros maintained such a lovely rhythm. Her horse was like a metronome! She was a pleasure to watch.
But my favourite partnership was a kid on a coloured pony. After all these serious pros it was fab to see someone grinning and ‘Good Boy’ing all the way round. Flew round clear in the time too.

Then hung out with Lottie for a bit which was good. She is hard to bridle and unbridle as she is a bit headshy but we worked on that for a bit and she was getting better. Plus carrot stretches and general ‘getting to know each other’

Bernster

Visit site
Whoop, xc clinic was not an over stretch or disaster. Quite the opposite ?. Bertie was fabulous. Bit unsettled to start, didn‘t like standing around but grand as long as we kept moving, even if it was just at walk. Seems to prefer being up front but was fine either way.

its a new venue in Herts which has pretty small jumps, but great to keep me in my comfort zone and see how we did. I had very low expectations but he was just brilliant fun. Forward, keen, but with good brakes. we had a blast. Hopefully, the more we do, the less defensive I will get as I need to relax and go with him.

When the horse next to us loaded for home, he did get unsettled so popped him onto the lorry and he settled down again. All useful experience to work out how best to handle him.

No decent photos and can’t work out how to post a video!

scats

Visit site
Managed to squeeze a road hack in between the rain yesterday. Just did a 2 mile loop, but the fact that I can take this horse out alone on the roads is nothing short of a miracle. She used to plant, rear and spook ridiculously to the point that it was dangerous to even contemplate taking her, particularly as we have a busy main road to contend with at the top of our lane.
Lots of baby steps and confidence building and we’ve got there.

Attachments

• C0C1263C-E19D-4528-9F8C-E12D6484D606.jpeg
    C0C1263C-E19D-4528-9F8C-E12D6484D606.jpeg
    613.5 KB · Views: 5