Weekend plans for 2nd week in May

TheMule

Visit site
Jumping Elana today, first time since our mishap out eventing last month and subsequent lameness so ?all feels ok
Hoping the weather will improve tomorrow so I can ride the 4yr olds in the arena and then I'm off visit a stallion as I'm husband shopping for my broodmare. Saw a load on Monday but nothing suitable yet. This might be the one.....

Here's a photo of the mule being ridden by someone other than me for the first time last weekend. Steering is improving, slowly!
4E0BB64B-8CC0-446F-9F21-4BED2B9FF394.jpeg

Attachments

• 434657A3-DC49-4821-8290-9D64F9105C9E.jpeg
    434657A3-DC49-4821-8290-9D64F9105C9E.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 0

Michen

Visit site
Supposed to be out to dressage tomorrow, not sure if I will bother now - will decide in the morning. We lost one of our trio this morning to colic, so I’ll see how we are feeling tomorrow. Part of me wants to and the other part just wants to hide under a duvet for the rest of the weekend!

unreal timing but as soon as I posted my reply to this I had a call and was on my way to get my trailer to take a friends horse into the vet for colic.

spooky :( must be the weather?

j1ffy

Visit site
So sorry to read that Sheep, big hugs.

Chippers and Wheels, I hope your sick notes are better soon.

My back is still sore and swollen, though steadily improving but not enough to ride tomorrow so no BD for us. It doesn’t matter as we’ve already qualified for Areas but I was looking forward to riding E55 for the first time. Hopefully it’s better in time for our Novice Areas on Friday - thankfully they’ve put us right at the end of the later section so I can make it.

I hope everyone is staying dry and warm today! It’s horrible out there...

Roxylola

Visit site
So sorry for your loss Sheep, its never easy and so sudden x
Healing vibes to all sicknotes, human and equine.
We had a wet hack this morning. Charlie is obnoxiously fit, spooking at everything and wants to be off cantering everywhere ? we had a friend with us who we always seem to have fast hacks with so her was up for wacky races a couple of times too! They basically behaved though and I just find it entertaining so I'll call it a win

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Message to be passed on to @milliepops for Kira

As dictated by B Fuzzy....

Dear Kira,
Thanks for your email with detailed attachment, much appreciated m'dear.
As it was windy this afternoon, I thought it worth trying your most recent manoeuvre when you were hacking.
I had been ridden in walk up to the top field where old bat has put out letters for me to read whilst I go round like a poodle at crufts.
Anyways, we get halfway across this 'arena' and I tried the 'boo - jump' you mentioned. Yes, it was fun but I got such an earful of abuse from the old bat that I thought I'd better move forwards smartly as my ears were ringing. [picking B Fuzzy ear hair out of my nose isnt funny!] That wasnt what she wanted either, I had to do loads of trotting, changing directions and circles. How do you put up with it?
After hours and hours of this, I was dripping [liar, it was 25 mins max] the mad old bat eventually let me go for a hack.
Well, you mentioned dragons and trolls, but despite me peering around for them, even up in the swaying trees, we apparently dont have them round here, so you might need to correct appendix 4, subsection 1 to 3 if sending out again.
Finally, I'd like to say that I tried a little of the go sideways stuff, but once again I apparently should give this more thought as to where, as according to the old bat, it's not between A and F and out of the arena, doh!
Best wishes,
B Fuzzy
X

blood_magik

Visit site
We’re not long back from Blue’s first BD outing. We had a couple of mistakes, one of which was rather costly, but overall I’m very pleased with how he went considering he’s having an allergy flare-up at the moment.

61.58% and 6th, which is fine as a starting point and with only one lesson under our belts. Will hopefully get my score sheet back before my next lesson with Charlie as I’m interested to see what he thinks before we attempt test number 2 at the end of the month.

F8309941-DAA9-4D9E-9B66-AE628516227A.jpegFF7352FD-9D51-467F-BB7B-E4C8F62420E6.jpeg

GinaGeo

Visit site
Podrick had a jump lesson on Thursday evening. But other than that they boys have had a quiet, soggy weekend.

Instead I’m doing an Equine Touch Course. I’ve been very impressed by its affects on mine, and jumped at the chance when a relatively local course was on. It’s been a busy weekend and my brain is hurting. Excited to bring it all together tomorrow though ?

racebuddy

Visit site
unreal timing but as soon as I posted my reply to this I had a call and was on my way to get my trailer to take a friends horse into the vet for colic.

spooky :( must be the weather?
Oh know how is ur friends horse x a lot of colics at the min x

TheHairyOne

Visit site
My weekend started Friday with the 1st time on a proper xc course in over 2 years! Where's rime gone. Horse had a fab time and all the SJ training we've been doing apparently does translate a bit as I actually wasnt afraid which was a nice feeling since I am doing a hunter trial next weekend

Screenshot_20210507-164916_Video Player.jpgIMG-20210507-WA0058.jpg

Hack in the gales today and tomorrow I am going with my friend as groom for the BD area's. Thankfully she has managed to move her time so wont be getting back in the pitch black as was originally going to happen!

nikkimariet

Visit site
Rooni had a lesson yesterday. Was simply incredible and I’ve so much to work on!

C74B3F75-9B63-4E5F-AB32-4F19A90DF51C.jpeg
4C706C7A-05E9-4E23-8BA1-2AD0A792F97B.jpeg

Today a really lovely 14 mile hack for both, we got soaked at one point but it wasn’t cold. Did some exploring and went through a local Brook which was nice!

99901DC8-26D1-437E-87FE-AE8E1522530F.jpeg

I then went on a 7 mile run so after a few yard chores I’m ready for bed!

Roxylola

Visit site
I had a mostly successful round at kelsall. Its the 90 course so bit out of our comfort zone. Fence 1 jumped well, and Charlie was strong and full of going to a stop at 2 where I fell off ?
The going was fine but he's not brave where it's a bit cut up and he was just a bit unsure of himself. We missed 4 and 5 on that basis, jumped 6 well, missed the next few as he just wasn't confident. Had a stop before the water, I just binned the ones we stopped at, I see no point making an issue when I know why he stopped. If they were tiny I'd take a stand but they're bigger than hes confident to just yet. I don't think it will trouble him for somerford as the fences will be that bit smaller.
After the water he managed to get stuck on a sheep feeder! Went to say no but left it a bit late and had to take off in front but left his back legs behind! We paused for a moment while I wondered if I might need to get off. I was confident I could shuffle him along it, if I needed to but he popped over with his back legs once he'd figured it out.
After that he actually jumped quite well, we bobbed another sheep feeder, a ditch, off the ski jump, over the little house missed the brush as he wasn't bold at the 80 version last September. Then home for the last 2. Hes learning to jump from a much stronger pace and was full of running so overall positive if not quite as good as it might have been

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Ah well, another boring weekend report. Nice weather here, quite warm! The rain comes tomorrow.

Walked with the dog and OH today. I usually hand walk since it's better exercise for me then riding him. Lots of hills! And he's like a big dog anyway ?

Took some glamor shots on a tractor path in the rapeseed field and of course stopped for snacks. Did some bushwhacking to take a short cut at one point and so walked on the road for a bit (good for his hooves). He'll follow me anywhere.

Back in the school tomorrow.

Just going to copy photos from my Instagram since they're already resized

IMG_20210509_174009_184.jpgIMG_20210509_174009_242.jpg

scats

Visit site
Went to my trainers for a lesson today. We’ve been working on getting Millie sharper to the aids and more in front of the leg.
I seem to have hit a wall with myself and I think I know why but I’m finding it so hard to overcome. I am too soft. Millie is very good natured and tries whatever I ask but she is a minimum effort type. It’s all in there with her and she’s extremely capable, but it doesn’t come naturally with her and I’ve got myself in a pickle because I feel like I am being too hard on her, though I know deep down I’m not being hard at all, but I am in this constant state of worry that if I push her I might break her or turn her sour or she’ll hate me riding her.
Sometimes I feel like she’s putting effort in but my trainer wants more out of her and asks me to give her another tap, but it’s like I have a this real mental conflict going on and I don’t want to push a horse who I know I have already pushed (does that make sense?) So we were doing canter work and Millie was giving me more than she would normally but my trainer knew there was more in there so she was pushing for that, whereas I just couldn’t bring myself to ask for any more. I’m a complete and utter wet wipe, I know. I’m also guessing that this is why I’ll never be a successful competitive rider where dressage is concerned.
I’ve had so many horses break over the years or need putting to sleep through weird and wonderful ailments that I almost can’t believe I have a lovely, sound horse to enjoy and it’s made me terrified of pushing her.
I got in the wagon and was chatting to my mum about my inability to pull myself together over Millie and she came out with exactly the same theory.
Anyway, came home, had a coffee and some food and watched the videos back. Feeling a bit better about it already, but might have to accept that plans of us doing Advanced dressage actually might not happen, more because of me. But I’m starting to think that’s ok, actually. I’m enjoying training and learning and I love my lessons, but I think I probably have a limit that I’m not comfortable going beyond at the moment.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I think a lot of us have that problem with dressage Scats. I think it is actually quite a rare type of rider who can get 'good' (as in high quality rather than any particular level) dressage out of a wide variety of horses. For the rest of us, unless we luck out on a horse that is the perfect combo of capable and keen, everything just takes a lot longer because every day we stop short of pushing them just that bit further.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Supposed to be out to dressage tomorrow, not sure if I will bother now - will decide in the morning. We lost one of our trio this morning to colic, so I’ll see how we are feeling tomorrow. Part of me wants to and the other part just wants to hide under a duvet for the rest of the weekend!
So sorry sheep :(

nikkimariet

Visit site
Went to my trainers for a lesson today. We’ve been working on getting Millie sharper to the aids and more in front of the leg.
I seem to have hit a wall with myself and I think I know why but I’m finding it so hard to overcome. I am too soft. Millie is very good natured and tries whatever I ask but she is a minimum effort type. It’s all in there with her and she’s extremely capable, but it doesn’t come naturally with her and I’ve got myself in a pickle because I feel like I am being too hard on her, though I know deep down I’m not being hard at all, but I am in this constant state of worry that if I push her I might break her or turn her sour or she’ll hate me riding her.
Sometimes I feel like she’s putting effort in but my trainer wants more out of her and asks me to give her another tap, but it’s like I have a this real mental conflict going on and I don’t want to push a horse who I know I have already pushed (does that make sense?) So we were doing canter work and Millie was giving me more than she would normally but my trainer knew there was more in there so she was pushing for that, whereas I just couldn’t bring myself to ask for any more. I’m a complete and utter wet wipe, I know. I’m also guessing that this is why I’ll never be a successful competitive rider where dressage is concerned.
I’ve had so many horses break over the years or need putting to sleep through weird and wonderful ailments that I almost can’t believe I have a lovely, sound horse to enjoy and it’s made me terrified of pushing her.
I got in the wagon and was chatting to my mum about my inability to pull myself together over Millie and she came out with exactly the same theory.
Anyway, came home, had a coffee and some food and watched the videos back. Feeling a bit better about it already, but might have to accept that plans of us doing Advanced dressage actually might not happen, more because of me. But I’m starting to think that’s ok, actually. I’m enjoying training and learning and I love my lessons, but I think I probably have a limit that I’m not comfortable going beyond at the moment.
Whatever you’re doing, you’ve got to enjoy it. If you’re not, then something needs to change.

DirectorFury

Visit site
Great photos and reports!

I didn’t ride yesterday as the weather was vile - 10cm of rain in 24h and 60mph winds - so did some much needed DIY instead!

I managed to cadge a last minute lesson from YO today and we just focused on keeping everything relaxed and getting M back to her mental happy place when things go a bit wrong. I know the mental tension is always going to be a problem which will limit her ability but this is just about finding strategies to step it back when she gets upset. We were also trialling another new bit - NS Turtle Tactio when she was in the Turtle Top previously - and she seemed to really like it, but the real test will be if she still likes 5 rides down the line. The new saddle is definitely making me feel like I can ride more effectively, I can actually get my leg on in this saddle and halt from the seat!

scats

Visit site
I think a lot of us have that problem with dressage Scats. I think it is actually quite a rare type of rider who can get 'good' (as in high quality rather than any particular level) dressage out of a wide variety of horses. For the rest of us, unless we luck out on a horse that is the perfect combo of capable and keen, everything just takes a lot longer because every day we stop short of pushing them just that bit further.

I suppose it’s got me wondering just who I’m doing it for... and why? I do enjoy pootling around low level unaffiliated tests and trying to improve her way of going a little, but she means so much more to me than that. She finds some things hard, although she always tries, and it kind of breaks my heart that she tries but then I’m telling her it’s still not good enough. She’s not Valegro and I don’t want her to be. It would be nice to have a play with some advanced movements at home for fun, but if she’s not having fun, I don’t want to do it. The thing is with Millie, she’ll never say no. She will absolutely do anything I ask, perhaps to the detriment of herself.
I think we’re going to have a couple of weekends playing out at some farm rides while I sort my head out about it.

Sheep

Visit site
Decided against dressage, we were both knackered so didn’t bother setting alarms this morning. The venue very kindly sent me a voucher to the value of the entry, which was very nice and totally unexpected. So hopefully will get out there soon.

Thanks everyone for your kind words about our lovely girl Cooper, still feels surreal. I expect it will really hit home this week especially when I start sorting her stable out. Thankfully we have our 2 bay boys, they will keep me busy.