Weekend plans for 2nd week in May

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Bit early but am heading out shortly. Plans for this weekend?

Spent some time in my top paddock 1st thing today, putting B Fuzzy through her paces and trying to improve a litte, as we have a dressage lesson this Sunday through RC. Highly esteemed trainer comes out once a month or so and does individual sessions, subsidised by RC a little, so they are in reach of all members and its hosted by an RC member in her fab arena.
Otherwise am hacking with a friend tomorrow and usual solo hack on Saturday or might try more schooling as we managed to achieve some pleasing shoulder in, in trot this morning for 1st time :)

Good luck to those competing and have fun x

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
another packed weekend of... no plans :rolleyes:

if the rain holds off OH will get the lorry put back together and then it can go for plating! :D

No lesson this week as trainer booked back to back. Might hack round the Inter 1 and see what our focus for next week should be. My hunch is that it will be the trot shoulder-in/circle/HP lines.

Hacking club for Kira tomorrow, ruining her life again.

SEL

Visit site
How is it the second weekend in May already? And whoever did the rain dance over exerted themselves looking at Saturday's forecast.

On Friday or Sunday I will be setting out the 'dressage arena' in one of the fields. Sounds a bit posh :D until you see its marked out with white drainpipes. The aim of this is not to follow MP in posh prancing but to challenge a yard full of wonkies and retirees to see if we can do 'long rein in walk' dressage tests by the end of the month. The draft horse is coming out of retirement and I'm trying to remember where the supersized surcingle is and how to put his XXF bridle back together again. Steering will be interesting :oops:

Northern

Visit site
I’ve got a dressage lesson on Saturday and another outing to the local equestrian park on the Sunday. Have booked a dressage clinic for both horses in a few weeks, so should probably get on the young one a few more times and consolidate our basic go and steering so as not to embarrass ourselves completely ?

I’ve got a dressage training day coming up and am trying to decide whether to enter in an Elementary test. We’ve never done one before but have been training the movements for a few months. I might be crazy but won’t know if I don’t try, and a training day is the perfect try ?

Hope you all have the great weekend! I’ll leave you with a pretty sunset picture ?

0E7D91B8-29A1-460E-A970-22977FF10D21.jpeg

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Not a lot for us - Maddie and I have been flat out the past few weeks, so I have given her a couple of well deserved days off. I'm writing tomorrow for one of my favourite (to write for) judges. We've got ele through to GP so a good variety. The PYO class at the end of the day is always a bit manic but fun, with every rider doing a different test and loads of scores to get down for each. I was going to ride Saturday, but having seen the weather forecast....... maybe not!!

Have fun everyone, whatever you are up to. :) x

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Beautiful pic Northern ?

Oh no Wheels! What's going on with him?

I'm off to a xc clinic with Arts tomorrow and then arena hire with P on Sat if weather permits. XC clinic will be only her third time xc so will mainly be baby log popping I should think, but the instructor is really good so should be useful regardless

Wheels

Visit site
So... not much going on here

The bandage is pretty big, it's only actually a small area but the farrier had a slip of the knife and managed to slice all the way through the skin at the back of the leg half way up the lower leg. Thankfully no damage to the structures of the leg, only the skin. So he has to stay in and bandaged for a few days on danilon and anti biotics then cold hose to keep swelling down and the wound clean. Will likely be some proud flesh and permanent hair loss. Poor M

In other news, I have another horse who is 12 that I retired at 7/8 due to ongoing but undiagnosed issues. For the last few months he has been looking amazing so about 5 weeks ago I started riding him again. He felt like a wobbly baby but hes strengthening up now. I've been riding twice a week and lunging / groundwork once or twice so will continue with that whilst ever he is happy to work (which he wasnt before)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yikes, that's unfortunate Wheels, poor M ?.

Potentially exciting about your older horse though. Is there a particular point in fittening/conditioning where you would expect to see a problem if there is going to be any?

J_sarahd

Visit site
I’ve got my instructor coming on Sunday with her bit collection to see if we can find something for pony. I’m hoping we can find something he likes without going too strong.

Other than that, nothing. Hoping the rain holds off this afternoon so I can go on a plod down the lane and back.

Wheels

Visit site
Yikes, that's unfortunate Wheels, poor M ?.

Potentially exciting about your older horse though. Is there a particular point in fittening/conditioning where you would expect to see a problem if there is going to be any?

Probably in the canter work if / when we get that far. We are taking it easy for now as every moment we get is special after so long off

Alibear

Visit site
Lesson on Amber on Saturday, not expecting too much due to the forecast and the indoor school is very patchy, dry and dusty so can't do much in there at the moment. They're working on getting the sprinkler system mended which will sort it out but I think it's going to take a few weeks. Hopefully, the weather will improve and we can work on venturing outside instead soon.
Got a new hacking buddy so weather permitting hope to get Daisy out and about both days to see the sights as it were, goal for her is getting her forwards :)
We can now do the open half of the field track solo without any bother, it only takes 10 mins but it's a good start as it borders the road with a big ditch and hedge so we get to see road traffic, village household goings-on and plenty of wildlife too.

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
Had a canter on my boy this morning! Was lovely and quiet up on the Downs. Just over 23 weeks since his keratoma op, and 6 months since I last had a canter on him. Tomorrow AM will school before work, and try a bit of canter in there too. Not much planned for Sat, as weather is supposed to be pants and I have my COVID jab tomorrow at 7pm so might not feel up to much anyway!

blood_magik

Visit site
We have an arena hire booked for tomorrow. Finally a chance to get the new lorry out ? ?

Then Blue has his BD debut Saturday. We’re not on until a very respectable 1445 so I’ll have time to ride the others before I have to start plaiting. Not expecting too much as he’s only done one test before - if we stay in the arena and are fairly straight and accurate I’ll be happy

Wheels

Visit site
@Wheels that's really unlucky with the farrier. I bet he was mortified - hope for quick healing and no long term damage.

Aww he was mortified yeah! He thought he'd knocked a scab off at first but too much blood for that and when I cleaned it up it was clear it was a proper cut. He is beating himself up about it but these things do happen from time to time unfortunately and their knives are so sharp. M is being a very good patient so far

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Still no shows. So...

Had a lesson today and horse felt quite good. Canter half pass was great and half pass to flying change is quite easy with him. Mostly been working on getting more expression in his gaits. He's a pretty plain mover. He's got more of an extended trot then previously, but I think I can get just a bit more. Then slowly gearing up for passage. Half steps are there and piaffe is there in-hand. So once he gets gets bit stronger we'll start.

Will probably free lunge tomorrow, school or hack on Saturday, and dog walk on Sunday (usually OH walks dog and I walk horse).

So nothing too exiting.

DirectorFury

Visit site
Good luck to everyone competing and have fun!

New saddle turned up today (win #1), it fits really well (win #2), and I totally see why people love certain saddles - I think it would take more effort for me to ride badly in this new one than it does to ride ‘properly’! It’s also magically fixed my problem of curling up into a ball in the canter transition. I’m on the hunt for the equivalent in a jump saddle now.

We’re schooling this weekend, I’m trying to get a last minute lesson slot but there’s not much about with trainers who’ll travel to us. Time to start thinking about getting out and about with some low level dressage I think!

j1ffy

Visit site
Everything was going a bit too well...Danny and I parted company today! We had arena hire booked at Prestige (Summerhouse) and I headed over there alone. I didn’t think much of it as we’ve done plenty of trips to lessons alone, though in hindsight I’ve always mounted in the arena for those...

He was fab to unload and tack up, but moved away as I mounted and I got unbalanced. He wasn’t too impressed so turned left and jogged, I tried to stop him and he did a massive (according to the lady who picked me up from the ground!) buck. Luckily no major damage done but half of the car park is now on my bedroom floor and my arnica will get a lot of use in the next few days.

A few lovely people helped reunite Danny and I, so I cracked on and he was very good boy in the spooky hedge-side arena. I’m much more confident about riding him in there for the Areas but will make sure I have someone to help me get on!!

So weekend plans all depend on how stiff and sore I am. We’re supposed to be doing two Elementary tests on Sunday so let’s see...

j1ffy

Visit site
oh jiffy!! bad Danny o_O that hedge arena is a total spook fest so I suppose he gets some brownie points for behaving after that.

He does but I wasn’t feeling very generous earlier ?. He also had a massage on return to the yard - I considered cancelling but overall he’s been a very good boy for all but about 30 seconds this week ??