Weekend plans? Last weekend in September

Asha

Visit site
All plans cancelled here as youngest daughter tested positive for covid yesterday. ☹ Just cold like symptoms at the moment, slightly concerned as she's recently been diagnosed with asthma, but hopefully she'll be fine.

So saddle check and lesson postponed. Weather is pretty awful anyway so probably just as well.

Remarkably, i don't have to isolate according to thevrules so I may hack out on my own on Sunday if the weather is a bit kinder. Other than that I won't be going anywhere or doing anything except housework! ?

We've had a brilliant week though including a long hack with my new neighbour and her wonderful welsh pony. First time Bo has hacked out with an unfamiliar pony. He was very excited for the first 10 minutes. We had a bit of a brakes failure and he even threw in a little excitable buck! Once he settled he was superb though. I'd forgotten how wonderful it is hacking out in company, chatting away and putting the world to rights. ?

liked the post for the hacking, not the covid. Hope shes better soon.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Okay, so...have I actually died and gone to heaven?! Second ride out on new share horse was fantastic, she was so well behaved including for a quite large and naughty dog (who I think was lucky she was so well behaved!), some very excited other horses, and a big group of D of E kids with their backpacks who all came over to give her a fuss. She was perfect.

1632500413567.png

mavandkaz

Visit site
Sham will have a schooling session tmw to practice our flying changes before lesson next week, then hack on Sunday.
Belle will have a hack tmw, then off to xc on Sunday. It will be my first ever xc comp as I have always been too scared of fixed fences. Feeling a little bit of pressure after junior jockey did so week in her ODE last week.
Good luck to all out and about

oldie48

Visit site
CC, I hope you are feeling better soon, same for SouthernC's daughter! Everyone seems to have quite a lot going on and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for SaddlepsychD's share, it sounds perfect! I will be spending a lot of time covering myself in Caneston! I have RINGWORM, eek! After months of blaming my second covid jab for giving me a rash it's actually bloody ringworm. Beware folks, it doesn't always present as expected and as my Gp is doing most work by phone no-one's actually seen it, it has been a bit miserable but as I now have clear rings of infection on my BUM (why?) I'm pretty sure that that is what it is. My face has been a real mess but an antibacterial cream seems to have sorted that for now. tbh I think my immune system is shot because of stress, but RINGWORM!!!!
On a lighter note, I rode Mr D this morning and the weather was beautiful, his owner is back on Saturday and I am missing her input and Miss F did her first PSG and got 64+% I was so pleased for her rider, so it's not all bad. I hope everyone enjoys this lovely weather and has a really happy weekend.

Roxylola

Visit site
Oldie, I got ringworm from one of those (expensive) dead Sea salt scrubs. I think I cured mine by washing in malaseb for a week!
Good luck competitors, thanks to all volunteers - you're hugely appreciated (I do try and thank folk while I'm out and about). And good vibes to all under the weather (equine and human) get well soon

TheMule

Visit site
The mule was a star- her very first ridden outing and she behaved like an absolute dream. We have only just started cantering and jumping, she is a little more whoah than go, but I think her confidence will grow from here and she'll be an ace fun little jumper

C5E103F7-CC51-4C06-8906-364477990900.jpeg
25265FEF-C210-4816-B717-8BC81488522D.jpeg
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Okay, so...have I actually died and gone to heaven?! Second ride out on new share horse was fantastic, she was so well behaved including for a quite large and naughty dog (who I think was lucky she was so well behaved!), some very excited other horses, and a big group of D of E kids with their backpacks who all came over to give her a fuss. She was perfect.

View attachment 80034

Wonderful! Thrilled to bits for you. ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Whoo hoooooo!! we can have plans once again. Went to view a lorry yesterday. OH gave the seal of approval so we have wheels again! it has a current plating though will need some work before the next one. Decision whether to fix it up or change the chassis is up to OH. but in the meantime it's safe and tidy, hurrah. Nice little Tristar. Been keeping half an eye out for one for ages but they're normally well over budget.

Got stuck over there as we didn't shake on the deal until after the insurers had closed last night and it had taken 3.5 hours to get there from home, so we had an impromptu overnighter in a travelodge :p went on pub crawl and had a great time, we never spend time together like that at the moment as there's just too much to do so that was a pleasant bonus :)

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Whoo hoooooo!! we can have plans once again. Went to view a lorry yesterday. OH gave the seal of approval so we have wheels again! it has a current plating though will need some work before the next one. Decision whether to fix it up or change the chassis is up to OH. but in the meantime it's safe and tidy, hurrah. Nice little Tristar. Been keeping half an eye out for one for ages but they're normally well over budget.

Got stuck over there as we didn't shake on the deal until after the insurers had closed last night and it had taken 3.5 hours to get there from home, so we had an impromptu overnighter in a travelodge :p went on pub crawl and had a great time, we never spend time together like that at the moment as there's just too much to do so that was a pleasant bonus :)

Congrats on the new lorry - and the random night out!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Tackled our 1st bigger Equicross course this morning, some very definitely not up to height but 1st 3 were, as also last 3.
B v stressed by the time we arrived as an idiot on an illegal, unbaffled off roader came up beside the box at a set of traffic lights, then proceeded to bang it off the rev limiter till the lights changed ???
Arrived with a dripping B so walked her off to cool.
Course ride well, tho I got too clever and for the 1st time in over a year we dropped 3 poles, 2 were totally my fault, 1 was unlucky. V good time tho and still finished up 4th.
V warm and humid!

scats

Visit site
Urgh. Something isn’t right with Millie. I think it might be ulcers- swishy tailed in her lesson today and stuffy. Happy to go into canter but didn’t want to canter forwards, tail really swishy and then she did a Millie special, slammed on and went up. She gave me some lovely canter work around the fields last night though, albeit in straight lines. It seems to be the turns that cause issue. Vet chiro saw her 10 days ago and all fine, instructor said she looked sound (she also felt sound) but I have had her on a diet and she’s lost a lot of weight so wondering if she’s got ulcers now as a result of more limited forage (she always has straw to eat but won’t touch it)

Will ring vet tomorrow to book scope and also put them on standby to X-ray hocks and scan suspensories if no ulcers are found.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Mixed but useful day at Kelsall. Started with the trailer electrics refusing to work so we were very late by the time we put managed to borrow one. But goodness knows how much faffing I normally do because we got there 40 minutes before the dressage start time and still managed a decent warmup. Dolly was obedient though an insanely loud flock of geese took flight right above her head during the canter. Oops.

The SJ looked big but she gamely pinged her way round it, rolling 2. Katie hadn’t walked the course as the cancelled the scheduled course work 15 mins before her time! Great!! So she didn’t always get the best line and they had to wing it a bit but Dolly’s attitude was fab as ever.

Then onto XC. We had walked the course yesterday and it was huge. Nice, inviting fences but still a big ask of a small Dolly! She is as genuine as they come and does have plenty of jump but she can also lose confidence so we weren’t sure how she’d cope. She’s jumped plenty of 100+ lines in training in preparation for today but 18+ jumping efforts in a row on a well built 100 course is different. The good news is she felt fit. The less good news is she was getting more hesitant as the round progressed - even jumping the massive hay cart out of trot! She then had a stop at a box heading towards the water. Katie let her have a quick look then she popped through the A-D elements and then retired. She wanted to finish on her terms after a nicely jumped line rather than risking elimination and over facing Dolly.

There’s loads more to come from this pony and I think today will have been very educational for them both.

Lovely to meet you Pippity!

49310FD3-7299-4344-87B2-B966B527940B.jpg4A664BF0-8B62-44E9-B83E-871CA5FAF0A0.jpgE28572BB-3DE2-44E5-B1CF-B92EEF13CD12.jpgCCF0B5E3-051E-4807-BD80-AC988BDD53B9.jpg

mavandkaz

Visit site
Still buzzing from this morning.
I have always been too scared over fixed fences to go cross country. Any attempts to school over fixed fences have ended badly....until super cob arrived.
Belle has given me so much confidence when riding out and about, she is the first (and only) horse i have taken on a sponsored ride, and now she has taken me around my first cross country.
One of the local hunts ran a clear round cross country, so I entered the 60cm. Walked the course last night and although most of it was fine, I was worried about a couple (height ranged from about 40-70cm).
Belle was flipping awesome. We took it steady and trotted up some of the hills as was wary that she can tire cantering up hills as runs out of breath. But then had a lovely forward canter the rest of the time. Jumped a lovely clear round, including the coffin with a fairly meaty ditch in it.
Such an awesome little cart horse Screenshot_20210926-151118~2.png

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My lesson went really well and had a focus on detail of both my riding and Ludo's work that was exactly what I was looking for. Feeling a renewed motivation to train again now. Very happy.

He's beginning to look very tall now! I think he's heading over 16.2, this autumn growth spurt doesn't seem to be stopping yet.

Screenshot_20210926-161623_YouCut - Video Editor.jpg

Last edited:

Sheep

Visit site
I’ve had a very quiet weekend!
Didn’t ride at all yesterday, in fact all I really did was check on the lads, gave them a carrot and went home to clean the house. Fun…
Today I am a little bit hungover ? but my friend offered to clip the big guy as he is getting rather fluffy, and he is going to hunter trials next week (v excited about that). So now we have a nicely spruced up horse, no riding today though as he had a bit of sedalin to take the edge off the clipping (it isn’t his favourite activity).
Now killing time until the takeaways open, I am going to get a curry tonight ☺️515D2686-419B-4642-BBD6-DC0A569CBD67.jpeg

Roxylola

Visit site
Hacked yesterday followed by The Courteeners at old Trafford cricket ground where the police horses strolling through the crowd certainly put Charlie to shame for losing his shiz at some fencing being done yesterday ?
Out to bold today for the unaffiliated 85 sj class, I've learned that I do need to jump an oxer in our warm up even if I have it put down a little. He jumped the first vertical nicely the second was an oxer and somehow its like he's surprised by them - even though he doesn't seem that way if I use them when working in.
Clear to fence 8 which was the second of the 90 fences (the "jump off" bit) and he just caught a pole but I very much felt him sort of process that these had got bigger suddenly ?
Clear for the rest of the course and it was a nice fluent round so I'm pretty pleased overall.

Happy new lorry MP, congrats and well done to all successful outings tff, mavandkaz, ycbm (and any I've missed)
Hope millie is something simple to fix scats.
Well done to Katie for having a good go at the course and for being mature enough to end on a good note.
Enjoy your curry sheep. I was absolutely done in Friday evening and got takeaway for tea - pizza, it was lush

Pippity

Visit site
Lovely to meet you Pippity!

Lovely to meet you too, even if it was very brief!

I think Katie was very mature and responsible to make the call to retire when she did. Unfortunately, a girl in the novice u18 had a bad rotational fall, which really brings home just how dangerous this sport can be if your horse isn't quite feeling it. (The horse walked away. The screens were still up for the rider when we left, but she'd apparently been talking to the fence judge immediately after the fall.)