Weekend plans :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
JFTD, keep posting pics of you shooting arrows, or even better a video!

I tried to get a video last time and the mare had a - very uncharacteristic - moment about life (killer fox cub outside the arena :rolleyes:). Maybe this time I'll get one of her being nice! :D

Hope the clinics go well - I've definitely been to polework clinics where some people choose not to canter. Bless your husband and his anniversary plans :D

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yikes blodwyn :( sending healing vibes your way.

Well my weekend has started with an emergency vet callout this evening because the big idiot had the start of cellulitis when I pulled him out of his stable this evening, poor boy. He's covered in fly bites just above the bad leg so vet is assuming that is the cause (i assume a fly got stuck under his fly rug and went to town on him 😔). So they will be back out tomorrow to pump some more drugs into him, then hopefully he can go on oral medication. Vet said to leave in tonight so he's stuffing his face in between nickering pathetically because his unhelpful sisters have wondered off into the woodland and left him on his own in the barn - tragic

In between caring for him I have a boring list of jobs to trundle through and will go for a gentle stroll on young Arty

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Schooling a young horse tomorrow then exercising another out a hack. Faran is getting a weekend in the field as I leave tomorrow afternoon for a weekends camping in the highlands :)

Monday consists of schooling the youngster again, schooling the slightly older one and going for a walk with Faran :)

Michen

Visit site
Staring the weekend with a hack at sunrise (before trekking to Warwick for work!). Just hacking for Boggle as I start to get him fit again for autumn hunting. He’s been clipped out and had his mane and tail drastically reduced so he’s looking less like a feral bog pony and knows his holiday is well and truly over. I’m off to watch some polo tomorrow!

286A803C-566C-4D9E-B097-698CB34C4A14.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
How’s he doing Michen?

He’s a turd!!! Been so lit up and sharp. However now I’m doing proper hour long hacks he’s much better, half an hour round the field just isn’t enough for a Bog brain.

But sound, doing well barefoot although booting for roadwork.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Otherwise, I'll be trying to sort out / set up the field for when I put my organisational hat on next weekend. Anyone who knows me, knows that putting me in charge of organising something is a very, very bad idea. I've done the risk assessment though, so I'm one up on some of the folk who run clinics round here :p

Plus lots of fat-fighter hacking for the highlands. Can't have them seen in their current state of rotundness!

What are you organising?

I am also struggling with fat ponies. Jenny and Dolly were both ridden twice yesterday!

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Have fun all! We have nice sunny weather here, if a little cold but no pony plans other than riding at home making the most of the dry weather. Have plenty of chores to do which will keep me busy, need to get everything done as the next few weeks are busy.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Someone booked a viewing for Jenny on Sunday last night. Cue total meltdown by twin 2 :(
I am not sure whether she will hold it together for the viewing as she will need to ride first. I imagine viewing is a little awkward if the vendor is in floods of tears all the way through it.

Absolutely the worst thing about kids and ponies is the outgrowing part. But she knows she can't keep riding her. Her RI is warning that sitting on the cantle as she is doing will eventually cause soreness/injury and our saddle fitter can't find a way of giving her more room. Plus her legs are far too long anyway and she'll be knocking poles off with her feet. We are going for a 15.2+ next time so we don't have this problem again!

showjumpingharry

Visit site
Working Saturday and a quick session on Teddy then a rare Sunday off to prep my ponies for Stithians Show on Monday with Harry and Bella :)

AE, that's the worst part of little ponies :( but the person who bought spotty pony said that if the seller is crying she knows it's a genuine sale of a much loved pony so please give her a massive hug from me:(

A few photos of my gorgeous baby horsey Teddy that I'm very lucky to have the ride on in my lesson on Wednesday:):)
teddy new 2.PNGteddy new.PNG
teddy new3.PNG

Reacher

Visit site
Gosh Blodwyn, hope you are on the mend. Chest infections are nasty Fiona, hope you are feeling better.
Mr H still on boot/summer camp, had another Xc lesson on Wednesday, he was good boy and when he started getting excited and I got anxious instructor got on and told him off. She rode him for 10 mins then I got back on and popped a log to finish.
Yesterday had flatwork lesson (in arena) and today a flatwork lesson in Xc field with different (dressage) instructor (getting him accustomed to working in open spaces without getting over excited). Tomorrow another flatwork lesson with dressage instructor and Sunday with Xc instructor! Monday he gets the day off!
Good luck to all competing and enjoy everyone.

PS in case anyone worried that Mr H is being overworked , he is only being popped over small jumps, to accustom him to Xc schooling and try and make it less novel, aiming for it to be fun for both of us- he isn’t being hammered over jumps!

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Reacher I aim to ride all mine 5-6 times a week. They are fitter, leaner and healthier when ridden regularly so that workload does not sound too much at all. I think we underestimate what they can do quite comfortably, assuming they are generally fit and well in the first place.

Chippers1

Visit site
I'm off to Eland again for hunter trials, just doing the 70cm so hoping it'll get Buzz's confidence up again. I jumped him at home on Tuesday, I built a jump that was a barrel with brushes behind it to look like the second jump on the course (which he hates!) and he popped over that after some persuasion so hopefully he'll be ok. Other than that i'm decorating my flat which is taking way longer than expected - all change and all that :)

The Trooper

Visit site
Work tomorrow then to introduce Belle to her news Cavella boots that we're hoping means she can stay in work whilst my awesome farrier works to fix some feet issues!

Not quite the weekend, but my other weekly day off - Took Bonnie out yesterday on her own for the first time. Got carried away and ended up doing around 10 miles! She was great despite a couple of wee spooks and a little nervousness to begin with - Nothing some neck scratches and reassurance wouldn't sort. Super proud of her.

All the best to anyone out competing this weekend.

Asha

Visit site
I'm off to Eland again for hunter trials, just doing the 70cm so hoping it'll get Buzz's confidence up again. I jumped him at home on Tuesday, I built a jump that was a barrel with brushes behind it to look like the second jump on the course (which he hates!) and he popped over that after some persuasion so hopefully he'll be ok. Other than that i'm decorating my flat which is taking way longer than expected - all change and all that :)

We keep meaning to go to one of these at Eland, let us know how you get on. My daughter has qualified for the championships, and we could really do with a run there before then.

Forgot to add, im also dropping a couple of broodmares off at a equine repro clinic this afternoon. Keep your fingers crossed for us, as we are running out of time this season !

scats

Visit site
how many dresses have you tried on so far?

I was bridesmaid just a month ago aswell. Hoping this is the last of the duties for a while!

Got my new dressage saddle fitted today. Lovely compliment off the saddle fitter aswell who remarked at how nicely Millie goes. Millie is one of those unfortunate types who looks rather plain until she is under saddle so people who meet her in the stable often can’t believe it when they see her working.
Makes me feel like I’m doing my job right, at least!

J&S

Visit site
I am jump judging at PC regional ODE all day Sunday, so no riding for me but will get to see some lovely ponies and horses. I am on jump no 1 so hopefully it will be quite straight forward!! It will also be quite social as most other jump judges are ex pc mums or riding club friends.

JFTDWS

Visit site
What are you organising?

I am also struggling with fat ponies. Jenny and Dolly were both ridden twice yesterday!

I'll give you 3 guesses...

I sympathise. I try to rack up a decent mileage for both ponies each day, but it's a total time consuming mess. Too much grass is a bitch!

Sorry to hear about reactions to Jenny's viewing. It does sound like you don't have a lot of options at this point, I'm sure twin2 will understand and come to terms with it in time, but it's never easy :(

DressageCob

Visit site
I’m taking both boys dressaging tomorrow at Beaver Hall. The big lad is doing a couple of novices (at silver in the hope of gathering regionals points), and the little one is doing an elementary (bronze, for shits and giggles). I’m flying solo with both for the first time, and memorising three tests so I’m a little concerned!!

Sunday I’m going to have a jump lesson with the big lad. We are trying to work on his brain before I take him to his next event. We did a grid last week, with V guide rails ending in a spread. He really thought about it and jumped phenomenally. So hopefully building on that 😊

Bernster

Visit site
Had a turnaround due to fab farrier coming to put F’s shoe on this morning so we did go to the ball. Well, tweseldown xc anyway. Started out very wobbly and couldn’t find anything I wanted to jump but F felt really good, settled right away, warmed up well. We got into a rhythm and ended up doing lots of fences I didn’t think we could manage. Ended on some tricker elements from the 80 course which for me is a huge huge deal. V pleased. And tired, as it was a long day, so am off to sleep the sleep of the righteous (or the sleep of someone who had an awesome but full day in the sun).

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Stafford BE90..... I went down the night before as I was on at 8:06. But at about 9:30pm when I decided to clean my boots I realised I had left them behind! Luckily OH is awesome and did a boot-delivery-trip for me. 2 1/2 hour round trip. Bless him.

So dressage: I was onsite overnight which of course meant I was late because I had 'plenty of time'. Oops. But despite a very short warm up, Amber rode a beautiful test and I came out ecstatic that finally, FINALLY we had nailed a test in competition. Or so I thought. My score was 39 which was the kind of score I was getting when I was jogging in the walk or breaking to trot on the canter, or cantering on the wrong leg, or exiting the arena
unintentionally. I just do not understand it at all. Not a harsh judge either - I was dead last by several penalty points. Not got the test sheet yet but I can't imagine it will be particularly illuminating. It will just be a load of not very good marks! So I had had a mini tantrum for a few minutes about what a useless rider I am and that I should just sod eventing and stick to SJ or Hunter Trialling! But I got over it. Ish.

Anyway onto SJ. She was wild in the warm up but I managed to ride her through it which I was really pleased with - so we did a few nicely balanced w-up fences and she felt great. Unfortunately I was too tentative in the actual SJ round and held her too much, so I buried her a couple of times for 2 poles. And we had 5 time pens which is unheard of. I need to find that balance between letting her travel and maintaining control. It's a fine line! But overall she was rideable, controlled and balanced so happy with the feel of it, if not the score line.

So finally XC and she was awesome and flew round clear. I used a watch for the first time and then forgot all about it! So that will take some practice I think. So another day and another set of lessons for next time. And that elusive 'all coming together' day is still in the future. But it WILL happen one day. Just need to keep plugging away at it.

66599724_2391092914304109_4567723665193435136_n.jpg

66787007_2391092964304104_6044651936332906496_n.jpg

Chippers1

Visit site
Hunter trialling today...I went with one of Buzz's field mates who went just before us, cue a very wild Buzz in the start box! Which was good actually as he powered around the first half, even jumping scary fence 2 first time, and i thought we'd make the time then i had two stops :( the first he got a little too close to so decided he couldn't go then the second I'm not sure what happened, it was probably me not riding properly!
Despite this we still ended up 14th out of 23 so I was pretty happy, also pleased with the much more forward round and fence 2! So feeling pretty positive. We need to go out with his friends more often 😅
Couple of photos that I bought and they let me take a photo of them so I can share before they arrive :)
IMG_20190713_141432_331.jpgIMG_20190713_141432_332.jpg