Weekend plans!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've just arrived for a lesson with Kira, at long bloody last. I think this may turn into more of a counselling session tbh, she has been seriously challenging over lockdown and I've got in a bit of a funk over it. Anyway hopefully this will sort us out.

Probably do some more arena hire with Darcy, feels like we're on an upward trajectory at last.

And more hanging out with these 2. I had to shut them back up in the stable this afternoon as the weather was so miserable Hera got a bit cold. Time to dig out that rug I bought before she was born, perhaps... getting the thing onto Lady Sasspants may be a 2 person job ?20200611_161529.jpg

DirectorFury

Visit site
My jump saddle has gone off to be reflocked (turns out that might be why she was a bit naughty, bad owner!) so we’re stuck with the dressage saddle that I don’t feel particularly safe in ?. At a guess we’ll just be hacking round the lanes, maybe go and do some beach circles if she’s feeling sensible!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Not up to much horses-wise. Have a project at work that has started snowballing so am pretty busy with that. Was going to hack Arts nowish but the weather has turned pretty wild so will probably give it a miss today and attempt to hack over the weekend. She's got mild teeth issues atm - she has a wonky teeth on one side so any slight sharp bits can annoy her and cause a bit of head tilting and bit hanging - so she's in the bitless until they are sorted, which she actually schools quite sweetly in and it makes a nice change.

Pebbles is on baby pony training and we're doing baby leg yield. She had her first minor barbarian pony moment yesterday when she got in a bit of a muddle over ly on the right rein and just ended up stopping, flicking her hair and stamping. I've been waiting for that little streak of hers to present itself in ridden stuff, but she's just so damn cute with it ?. She did work it out in the end though so we'll do a bit more practice of that.

Dabs meanwhile has lost his head
20200607_210940.jpg

Wheels

Visit site
Not much horsey for me. Dressage ireland show is on at my most local venue but I'm staying put for now.

I'm actually really enjoying just training at home without the pressure of lessons and comps so not feeling too hard done by.

Will hack out at least one day.

oldie48

Visit site
Booked a lesson with my favourite trainer for Tuesday, actually feeling very excited about getting going again. I've had far too much time to think, just need to crack on now! Also desperately need some rain, OH has cut a track round my big field, which would be an ideal trot/canter track but it is concrete ATM!

milliepops

Visit site
Had a great lesson, just in the nick of time, I was getting fairly despondent. Had a long long looooonnnng chat with trainer about the various issues and then just tootled through some basics and some advanced tricks. Considering this is the horse I can still barely get round the school at home without getting napped into the middle of next week, she picked up, did posh trotting, super canter, tiny little piris and her 3 and 2 tempis as though lockdown had never happened.

jeez.

So this leaves me with a bit of a conundrum and lots of thinking to do. Basically it makes no sense at all to be throwing money away keeping the ridden ones on a yard that is actually hampering their training. There IS NOWHERE else within reasonable travelling distance, that I can find. So do I just bring them home, keep them in the field and arena hire every time I want to school them?... Hmmmm.

103366754_3345890732089080_1795090870278920787_o.jpg

McFluff

Visit site
She looks like butter wouldn’t melt. Do you get any benefit from working them in the spooky school, or is it all counter productive? Definitely worth doing the maths on the home and hiring option compared to current.

I’m so jealous of all of you with more freedom. We’re still on 5 mile limit, and while the hacking is within 5 miles the parking is closed. So continuing to work at home.

Northern

Visit site
Working all weekend, but have plenty of time to play with the new baby and school L :)

Baby has settled right in and L is keeping her merrily in line. I trimmed her feet yesterday, which she let me do with minimal fuss and made me much happier because they look much neater now! She needs a bit more work on picking up her hinds before I will let my farrier at her, my trimming will keep things at bay for the moment.
Next step is to put her out with my crazy chestnut TB, this will require a bit more tact... But the result will be plenty of grass for both ;)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Attachments

• ponies.PNG
    ponies.PNG
    829.4 KB · Views: 4

milliepops

Visit site
She looks like butter wouldn’t melt. Do you get any benefit from working them in the spooky school, or is it all counter productive?
Kira veers between grudging work and point blank refusal to move, with the odd dose of abject terror that takes weeks to resolve when it strikes. Tbh I'd rather not rag her legs round on a surface to not achieve anything really.
Darcy is easier because he is just a spooky wally rather than properly frightened. But he's very much a space-filler really, its kira that I want to train at this point. She's 15 this year... time is against us ?

I know it seems crazy, I really do. I feel that after 18 months I've had a bloody good stab at teaching her to cope with it. I can't keep her in a paddock close to a hedge because she just stresses herself into oblivion so I suppose I should have seen this coming but it was complete desperation that made me move there. I hate yards ?

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Ugh MP that sounds a bit rubbish.
Northern i am glad your new mare has settled well! Can't wait to hear how she progresses.
I hope the pony viewing and other adventure are fun for everyone!

We have a weekend of dressage. Hacking tonight, hopefully wont get wet then tomorrow is dressage club. Looking forward to it, have 2 new coaches so hopefully will get some new insights.

Sunday my club is running a training and protocol day so I am going along to do a protocol and training test to get some feedback. Not hoping for anything amazing but want to get a good gauge of where we are at and the areas I can improve in a competition sense. Very excited to get back out and about.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Moving yards... I'm a mixture of terrified, excited and so tired (was wide awake at 4am contemplating the move!).

We painted the new stable last night (just a lick of white paint) and I took measurements of the stable and store area, and all of my big things I want in the store and have plotted it all in Word to see what works where.... (saddo!)

Moving J at 2.30pm, its literally 5 mins down the road in the box but he hasn't travelled in the box since he moved to me 8 months ago (we have put him in twice with carrots and he didn't bat an eyelid!).

I haven't ridden since Tuesday because he has been a bit under the weather, so I may do some inhand work with him Sunday at the new yard just to get him thinking and listening and in the school.

MP I would probably say move them home, sounds like the best solution x

palo1

Visit site
Kira veers between grudging work and point blank refusal to move, with the odd dose of abject terror that takes weeks to resolve when it strikes. Tbh I'd rather not rag her legs round on a surface to not achieve anything really.
Darcy is easier because he is just a spooky wally rather than properly frightened. But he's very much a space-filler really, its kira that I want to train at this point. She's 15 this year... time is against us ?

I know it seems crazy, I really do. I feel that after 18 months I've had a bloody good stab at teaching her to cope with it. I can't keep her in a paddock close to a hedge because she just stresses herself into oblivion so I suppose I should have seen this coming but it was complete desperation that made me move there. I hate yards ?

Sounds really difficult MP and sorry that just when you want to enjoy your lovely foalie and crack on with Kira you have that stress. I guess if it is possible to have Kira and Darcy at home (with OH blessing) then you may save time and money on livery - giving you greater flexibility to sort out arena hires/training etc. Would Kira settle better at home? Can you do anything in a field with her at home and can she hack out from home? If those things are possible then much could be achieved I think and it would at least give you a breathing space to find a yard etc that would work better for you.

In my quite limited experience a different yard/set up can make huge differences to how easy horses are. My first yard years ago was close to home, good school and dreadful atmosphere. Poor horse lived on his nerves due to constant comings and goings/grazing that was either feast or famine, kind of liveries that just were 'difficult' in terms of horse management etc etc. I moved him 20 miles from home to somewhere with pretty limited facilities but excellent herd/land management and a lovely atmosphere and it made a world of difference. I only ever did one more yard move (when children arrived) and I just coped with that until we had a place of our own. That was a pretty poor yard but the horses were actually really happy and I got a lot of pleasure out of riding/training there - particularly because I was super motivated to go out to training/schooling/clinics and it was so cheap that I could afford that!!

You will know what is going to work best for Kira and if this yard isn't helpful then you might need to think creatively!! :) :)

milliepops

Visit site
yeah this weekend I'm going to be driving around putting letters through doors of all the yards with arenas that I can see on google earth.:rolleyes: OH is vetoing bringing them home. I've had them home with no arena on site, I know what it's like but this time i have a lorry so that makes life a lot easier. Discussions will be on-going!