Weekend Plans

J&S

Visit site
Going to an outdoor arena Trec competition on Sunday with the big old horse. Having done a lot of on line stuff during lock down he should be fairly well prepared but it will be strange to have other people and horses around. Very strict covid 19 procedures are in place.
I suppose we are lucky to have at least got this one in before the change in rules. Trec Gb are not sure if Trec qualifies as an allowable
sport to fit in with the new rules. I do hope it is not going to halt events.

Best wishes to all others going out and about. Above all, stay safe!

Oldie48, as another, even older person, I have been on blood thinners and beta blockers for 18 months or so now and apart from the odd wobble and some problems with fatigue I am still going (fairly) strong!!

j1ffy

Visit site
Got some thinking to do over the weekend as I've now had my appt with the cardiologist and it was good news and bad news! Good news is I don't have what I was told by hospital and what I have is curable with a fairly straightforward bit of abalation, bad news is because of Covid the NHS list is likely to be very long and even if I sell a kidney and go private, the private hospitals are still not doing much because they are working for the NHS. So I could be looking at a very extended period when I am struggling to ride! As I am 72 later this year I feel I am running out of time. Ok end of "poor me!"
Positives, I am enjoying hacking Rose off road and I am going to do more of that, I had a lovely hack on TROT again this morning, tomorrow Rose will be schooled for me, Saturday she's having a day off and Sunday I have someone coming to ride her who might be interested in doing a bit with her whilst her own horse is off with a soft tissue injury, depends if they hit it off or not!. Monday I am hacking with a friend and Tuesday we are at AM Dressage and I am hoping to be able to manage 20 mins on board but |I am so looking forward to watching the lessons. I might also sneak down on Wednesday if it's still legal to do so.
Have a great weekend everyone, keep safe and look after your health, it's a bugger when your body starts to let you down!
MP and J1ffy, see you on Tuesday!

Poor you indeed! It's good to know that it's easily curable, fingers crossed a gap comes up and you don't have to wait too long. I'm really looking forward to Tuesday! I'll try to get there in time for your lesson.

I'm picking up my lorry in the morning tomorrow then probably a quick schooling session on Saturday, day off for Danny on Sunday while I meet some friends for lunch and an outdoor swim (eek!). Hack Monday then off to AMD for two lessons over two days on Tuesday. Can't wait to see MP, Oldie48 and NikiCB there!

Also had a good lesson last night with my 'local' trainer who hasn't seen us since late June. He was very complimentary about the progress Danny has made :D I braved picking up a schooling whip for the first time and Danny didn't explode, he was quite wary of it but it made the lateral work a whole lot easier. I felt like I was on a dressage horse!

oldie48

Visit site
Oldie48, as another, even older person, I have been on blood thinners and beta blockers for 18 months or so now and apart from the odd wobble and some problems with fatigue I am still going (fairly) strong!![/QUOTE] So pleased they are working for you, unfortunately they are not a solution to my problem I need an ablation, just got to be patient and manage things as best as I can. Keep well.

FourLeafClover

Visit site
Non horsey day Saturday with OH, so no riding. But will try and sneak a hack in this evening (horse had McTimoney Wednesday so had Thursday off) he has had an easy week this week, he also had Monday and Tuesday off due to a very busy weekend last weekend!
Sunday going to meet a friend to do a 12 mile sponsored ride together. Went to see her a couple of weeks ago and rode some of the route (we think) and it was gorgeous, so really looking forward to it. It’s very much hunting country so hoping to pop some XC fences for the first time in a year and a half ?

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I am super excited as I am looking at two horses up for loan on Saturday. After 5 months of looking and literally only seeing one horse as the ones that I want are very popular I feel like I might strike lucky this weekend. It's been a long hard slog and I am so frustrated having spent the whole summer not training or doing anything to progress my riding.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Oh I'll probably be withdrawing from Kelsall (unless some sort of confidence miracle happens lol), wonder if there is a way I give you my place?

It's really odd, as Skylla is fab and very straightforward but I can feel myself freezing up on the approach and not having the commitment for it. Tuffy had to build a cross pole up from the ground for us, but then once we got going she was whizzing over everything asked... Oh hum, just keep going and try to get the fun part back!

Haha to be honest I was always doing Llany, Tuffy would have needed to be very persuasive otherwise, but she totally knows what's best for us right now, and the pressure of a BE (and not getting eliminated :p) is not it!

Kelsall will have a waiting list and your place will go to someone on it - ie someone who was ballotted out. Not for numpties who miss the date altogether! But thanks for thinking of us.

Re anxiety: Fear/loss of confidence come from emotion brain and stress is all cumulative. Imagine going away for weekend in the country. You arrive first at a remote cottage. It's pitch dark. The cottage is a bit creepy. The wind is howling. Then there's a power cut. Then you hear someone trying to get in and you back into a coat rack and scream/spin round. A behaviourist trainer would desensitise you to coat racks! A holistic trainer would recognise that the coat rack was not the problem but just the final straw for an already overwhelmed emotion centre. If you know 'life' is making you feel stressed and out of control then that will affect your confidence in all other ways including riding. Sounds like your plan of taking a step back, taking the pressure off, finding the fun again and rebuilding from there is spot on. x

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Ah excellent thank you :) i was possibly thinking about entering Norton Disney but i wanted to wait until after my hunter trial at the end of the month but the ballot date is the 18th so I may have to enter before then! Is Norton Disney too far for you to go?

Yes we could do that one but I can;t get my lorry booked in for an MOT so from end Sept we are off the road. Grrr.

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
We had a jumping lesson today, it was amazing! Did grid work, which is exactly what I was thinking we needed. Really helped us out, Henry jumped so well, and we did a couple of bigger courses. So happy with him, he is going so well right now.

Tomorrow we have dressage club, and then Sunday we have a dressage training day. Time to out our dancing shoes on and try and get a bit more relaxation!

Have fun all!

Chippers1

Visit site
Yes we could do that one but I can;t get my lorry booked in for an MOT so from end Sept we are off the road. Grrr.

Feel your pain on that one, mine is still in the garage ? going to pop in today and see how they're getting on.
I've decided against entering for various reasons, one being that I rode terribly in my lesson yesterday so felt like I need more practice at 80. I don't know why, I just fell apart and stopped riding at the jumps so then Buzz would stop.
Very disappointed in myself but I shall keep trying and working on it. I just want to get as comfortable jumping round 80s as I am 70s.
It's crazy because I'll jump pretty much anything 80 or even 90 out at xc but just crumble at an 80 oxer.
We even have on our yard one of those xc jumps that's basically an oxer made out of telegraph poles (so it's pretty wide!) And I'll happily pop over that ?

Reacher

Visit site
@oldie48 you are very inspiring and I hope your medical treatment happens soon.
Fab video @milliepops - very impressive. In my own low level way i’ve been learning to do a single flying change. This has always been an ambition. We’ve been practicing in our flatwork lessons, cantering a figure 8 - a bit hit and miss. I can’t practice at home (no arena and wet paddock). So I practice changing canter leads out hacking - usually through trot- the other day on an S bend in the bridlepath I asked for a flying change in canter and he did it perfectly. I was so thrilled with him ?.
We had SJ lesson last week and he was absolutely fab - so much more manoeuvreable and felt like a little show jumper ? - RI was delighted and said next time we would have to push the height ?.
Flatwork lesson today!
Enjoy the weekend everyone !

Wheels

Visit site
Where did you go sheep?

I took M down to old mill and tried quite a few different saddles, picked the one that he went best in which was also the one I liked the best. It's an unbranded but very well made english (walsall made) dressage. Looking forward to getting on with his fitness work for the next couple of months.

So hacking it is now for the next while

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well I've gone wrong in every phase of an ODE but Katie surpassed those achievements by learning the WRONG test :rolleyes::p

Managed the correct one with just 1 error after going wrong initially which was impressive but still expensive. Other than that, Dolly had a good day. Frustrating 4 SJ and super clear XC 8 seconds inside the time. Love that pony.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Well I've gone wrong in every phase of an ODE but Katie surpassed those achievements by learning the WRONG test :rolleyes::p

Managed the correct one with just 1 error after going wrong initially which was impressive but still expensive. Other than that, Dolly had a good day. Frustrating 4 SJ and super clear XC 8 seconds inside the time. Love that pony.
The like is not for learning the wrong test! But for cracking on after in the xc :)

blood_magik

Visit site
I had a bad case of fourfault-itis today - had a pole in the 85 and 90, and then the 95 as well ?‍♀

Thankfully the meter went better and we came away with the win - thank God, because I think I would have been walking home if I hadn’t jumped clear. ?
Blue was a little fussy in his mouth today so will be getting him booked in with the dentist on Monday.

Mostly, I need to stop sitting there like a bloody lemon when I can’t see a stride. ?

Fleur

Blue’s

Last edited:

Squeak

Visit site
Well done everyone who's got out so far, sounds some very solid results. Oldie sorry to hear your news but glad it's curable.

Laafet how were the horses you went to view?

I finally feel like I'm getting back in the jumping groove, another arena hire today and straight over all the fillers for the new boy and some small 90cm's thrown in too. Thrilled with him as two months ago he'd never even jumped before and he was only bought to be a glorified companion.

Sheep

Visit site
@Wheels we went to Hazeldene in Ballynahinch. Small but had a nice variety of fences, plus being on such a nice surface meant the ground was one less thing to worry about!

Did you get much input from R at Old Mill about the saddle fit or was it more DIY for you (if I remember correctly, you used to be a fitter?)? A girl at our yard is keen to go somewhere to try a variety of saddles, I assume Old Mill would be best but not actually used their fitting services myself.

Wheels

Visit site
@Wheels we went to Hazeldene in Ballynahinch. Small but had a nice variety of fences, plus being on such a nice surface meant the ground was one less thing to worry about!

Did you get much input from R at Old Mill about the saddle fit or was it more DIY for you (if I remember correctly, you used to be a fitter?)? A girl at our yard is keen to go somewhere to try a variety of saddles, I assume Old Mill would be best but not actually used their fitting services myself.

Hazeldene looks good, I saw some pics on fb.

Yeah R did a fitting for me, we have a bit of a professional relationship as I've sourced saddles from him for clients in the past. He really knows his stock well and has saddles not on the main floor that he will bring out to try. He did a good job.

Sheep

Visit site
Hazeldene looks good, I saw some pics on fb.

Yeah R did a fitting for me, we have a bit of a professional relationship as I've sourced saddles from him for clients in the past. He really knows his stock well and has saddles not on the main floor that he will bring out to try. He did a good job.

that’s great news. He helped a friend out hugely a few years ago when she was missold a saddle by another local fitter, but I’ve never dealt with him directly (aside from selling him a saddle a few weeks ago, and he did give me a very good price!) ?