Weekend plans

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Ooh good luck AE. Dolly has NSEA National champs. There is a warm up class on Saturday but her main event is the 90/95 Jumping w Style (Arena Eventing) on Monday.
Katie has decided she needs to focus on A Levels which are in May as she wants to go to a good Uni and the grade aren’t quite there yet, so has made the incredibly difficult decision to sell Dolly at the end of this season. So it’s the last competition for them ???

What a ride it’s been!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Aw, AE, that's bittersweet. I hope Dolly finds a good home, she's a super star.

We have a riding clinic we're trailering to tomorrow and Saturday with a trainer/rider who I don't know at all, but has a good reputation and is somewhat "big name" so I'm quite excited and interested to see how it goes. I haven't had any quality instruction in a few weeks now. Maybe over a month and dressage clinics are sooo hard to get into, so I hope this goes well.

Then we'll hack on Sunday.

j1ffy

Visit site
AE1 - how exciting! It doesn't feel that long since you stopped riding, this year has flown by.
AE2 - that's going to be tough but well done to Katie for taking such a mature approach.
CC - enjoy your clinic!

We started the week with the good news that Pocholo's saddles fit Chilli - the VSD is perfect (I just need to stop using the half-pad) and the dressage needs re-flocking. The saddler also bought back the GP that he sold me in April so I ended up being paid by him instead of the other way around!

We'll do some hacking and a short school over the weekend, then on Monday we're off to AMD for Chilli's first sleepover, first indoor school and lessons with my trainer. I can't wait!! Hopefully will manage a catch-up with MP, and another HHOer should be joining us but will let her update on here ;)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
AE2 - that's going to be tough but well done to Katie for taking such a mature approach.
p

It is so hard! And we are as bad as each other. Every time we sit down to pull together an edit for the ad we both end up in tears! I'm actually finding it very hard on a personal level too as I have shared riding with the twins then with Katie for so many years. We have had such a great time from the X-pole days to the first pc camps then senior camps then to the hunter trials to BSJA, NSEA and BE events. It has been a wonderful experience and it is feeling like a huge loss for it to be all coming to an end. And they have groomed for me for all my events too. The idea of doing it all alone feels very strange and sad.

Plus Dolly is the cutest, sweetest pony - far more friendly than Amber and Lottie! She makes me smile every day. I can hardly bear to look at her at the moment when she whickers to me. Which she does all the time as she is very, very vocal.

J&S

Visit site
Katie has decided she needs to focus on A Levels which are in May as she wants to go to a good Uni and the grade aren’t quite there yet, so has made the incredibly difficult decision to sell Dolly at the end of this season. So it’s the last competition for them ???
My step daughter did this too. She was working towards going to the best Vet college possible. We took a different line though and, despite having offers from other PC families, have kept the pony ever since. I am sure you will have buyers lining up to have her, such a very good pony.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I do keep wondering about keeping her but actually 75% of my current emotional difficulty is what her going represents - ie the end of a wonderful chapter in our lives and the start of 'empty nesting'! My son went to Uni a few weeks ago and I miss him more than I ever imagined I would. Next year the girls go. It's all happpening far too fast. Dolly going is just part of that process tnat I am not feeling remotely ready for. Anyway - off track. Sorry.

Reactions: KEK

J_sarahd

Visit site
A boring weekend for us. More flatwork for us tonight - he’s becoming so much fun to flat that I’m thinking we need to start entering some competitions (probably just jinxed myself and he will be a terror tonight!) - and then 4 days off. I’m out tomorrow night, then he’s got the physio on Saturday so he will be resting til Tuesday.

I’m also clipping him this weekend as he’s gone so fluffy again and has a bodged hogged mane.

Asha

Visit site
AE - i understand where you are coming from. My daughter and i have done everything horsey together but as shes now working long shifts and is in relationship shes hardly ever around. I miss our impromptu box and go days.
I just dont seem to find enough time in the saddle these day,so havent done any competing for what seems like forever.

Plans are hacking today, and saturday and pole work lesson on sunday

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Can't wait to go for another hack with share horse on Sunday. Trying to decide if I want to go solo or with a couple of companions. I quite liked going by myself with her before. OH came out on foot with us last weekend and that was fun (plus got some great pics!)

The other horse I have been riding/informally sharing looks like will not be happening any more and I feel so crap about it. Then again there were various things around it which had nothing to do with the horse making me feel crap too so it might be for the best despite how much I love the horse.

Bernster

Visit site
That so sad AE but she sounds a lovely pony and in this market I think you can pick your ideal home/owner. No chance you’d take the ride on her? But I assume with kids getting to that stage in life, it’s difficult to keep a horse going. I gave up for many years between Uni and starting work as there’s such a lot going on.

Quiet one for me I think after camp last weekend. Will need to spend quality time with the OH! So will mainly hack and potter about the yard. Bertie isn’t good with clipping I’ve discovered so he’s getting an IV clip tomorrow (relaquin didn’t work) and I’ve downloaded an app that vibrates and sounds like clippers to work on desensitising him!

Michen

Visit site
AE could keeping Dolly throughout A levels not actually be a good thing? Everyone needs down time from studying and work. It’s certainly not impossible to do both! Or is it more a case of Katie being ready to let this chapter of her life go?

Sorry for you both either way. I sold mine just before I went to uni and my mum fried buckets too- she wasn’t even horsey!

Birker2020

Visit site
I know its early, but it’s Thursday arvo here and I’m excited!

We have the state show jumping champs this weekend. Husband is judging tomorrow and Sunday and I am riding Saturday. Very excited, first competition since baby. Lots to pack but I can’t wait!!!
Oooh sounds good enjoy, good luck.

I am hoping my new saddle has arrived and I can actually sit on my horse this weekend. :)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
AE could keeping Dolly throughout A levels not actually be a good thing? Everyone needs down time from studying and work. It’s certainly not impossible to do both! Or is it more a case of Katie being ready to let this chapter of her life go?

Sorry for you both either way. I sold mine just before I went to uni and my mum fried buckets too- she wasn’t even horsey!

She's just done her mocks and really struggled to balance both. And didn't do that well, really. (According to her that is. I'm not pressuring her to do better). Part of it is that if she carried on for another year it would be with the aim of making the BE90 U18s team having been reserve rider this year in their first season at 90. The coaches are really positive about her chances. But that means Dolly being super fit, super sharp, regularly attending SJ and XC training and doing all the qualifiers. She would not want to have her and just potter or do the odd unaff comp. Nothing wrong with that but she's a bit like me - we are both all or nothing people really.

She wants to end on a high after an amazing season, not feel stressed all year and say goodbye after not really doing much. It's totally up to her and to be frank I was gutted! I wanted her to carry on. But I understand where she is coming from and tried very hard not to influence her decision one way or another.

Nicnac

Visit site
LSE DTM Novice Champs on Sunday (was rather gobsmacked that I'd qualified!) and either a day off or hack on Sunday depending on how tiring Saturday is.

Daughter's new youngster is off at boot camp with a pro so just have mine and the shitland which is rather relaxing. I am lucky that my shetland is the most loving, easy girl ever.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com

Hesitant caution around selling to focus on A levels. I feel there is a useful life skill in being able to juggle high pressure workload and be serious about a hobby. I feel that I always kept going with my riding throughout exams helped give me perspective and comes in useful now with my 'high pressure' job. It's kind of about learning how to create work-life balance and not letting things consume you.

I'd also highly recommend thinking about loaning as an option if you want to leave options open. We loaned my old event horse via this forum 15 years ago. We still have him now aged 26/27 and he's a much loved family member.

Of course the selling option is also sensible. I'm just never one to take sensible financial options ??

Another dressage weekend for me - this time BD at Bold Heath

AandK

Visit site
Just a standard weekend here, only remotely exciting plan is to bring Charlie in for a groom and see how his foot is doing outside of the field. He had normal shoes put on last Tuesday, I think it will be a while before the foot fully settles although the shape is looking much better. Not sure if I will be able to ride him before the new year, but I can hope! Managed about 2.5 months in total this year ;)

Hope those out and about have fun, and the weather is kind!

palo1

Visit site
I have/have had vile flu and have been feeling utterly awful, off work all week at home so nothing doing here :( My son has done a leg which means he can't ride and I feel too weak to even carry my tack let alone ride the beast that is fit as a fiddle at the opening meet of our local trail hunt on Saturday. We are collectively gutted!! I wasn't going to take my young horse so I guess I am not going to miss out on that but with trail hunting in such difficult times it is a real shame to miss the opening meet. We work really hard to get the horses fit and ready for the big day so it is a real anti-climax to not be going and socially it would be lovely to see everyone tarted up and horses looking wonderful. I do want to show confidence in our hunt too; they are such a lovely group and need all the support they can get at the moment though I know that we are lucky in our level of local support. I may potter over on foot though that may make me feel worse!! Hopefully next weekend son and I can both go, at least for a short time. I am going to spend the weekend working out a winter timetable for myself as I get very fashed about 'getting everything done' by a certain time of day when clearly that is not possible and I have a bit more work on this winter. A sense of structure in the afternoons would really help. If I can I will at least try to hack both my horses and hope my husband who now looks to be coming down with the lurgy too can ride the other one!! Alw deffo needs a bit more work to keep her sensible. Senior horse just isn't ever sensible...

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
I have/have had vile flu and have been feeling utterly awful, off work all week at home so nothing doing here :( My son has done a leg which means he can't ride and I feel too weak to even carry my tack let alone ride the beast that is fit as a fiddle at the opening meet of our local trail hunt on Saturday. We are collectively gutted!! I wasn't going to take my young horse so I guess I am not going to miss out on that but with trail hunting in such difficult times it is a real shame to miss the opening meet. We work really hard to get the horses fit and ready for the big day so it is a real anti-climax to not be going and socially it would be lovely to see everyone tarted up and horses looking wonderful. I may potter over on foot though that may make me feel worse!! Hopefully next weekend son and I can both go, at least for a short time. I am going to spend the weekend working out a winter timetable for myself as I get very fashed about 'getting everything done' by a certain time of day when clearly that is not possible and I have a bit more work on this winter. A sense of structure in the afternoons would really help. If I can I will at least try to hack both my horses and hope my husband who now looks to be coming down with the lurgy too can ride the other one!! Alw deffo needs a bit more work to keep her sensible. Senior horse just isn't ever sensible...

everyone is ill! I’ve never known so many people to have awful colds verging on flu. We’ve had 7 of us in Wales and half at any one time have been so so ill (but drinking through!!).

Feel better soon xx

J_sarahd

Visit site
A boring weekend for us. More flatwork for us tonight - he’s becoming so much fun to flat that I’m thinking we need to start entering some competitions (probably just jinxed myself and he will be a terror tonight!)

I didnt jinx myself and he was just incredible. We got some of the best right rein canters we’ve had at home!

palo1

Visit site
everyone is ill! I’ve never known so many people to have awful colds verging on flu. We’ve had 7 of us in Wales and half at any one time have been so so ill (but drinking through!!).

Feel better soon xx

Thank you :) I know I have been very, very ill indeed as I have neither been able to read or drink whisky...I can usually manage to ride but the last signs of life for this human are reading and a small tot of whisky so it has clearly been touch and go this week...!! I am now feeling a bit better but senior horse is a real handful so there is no way I could spend time arguing with him on Saturday and junior horse deserves a bit of hand holding at her first opening meet and as she has considerable...erm...'enthusiasm', I am not in a state to provide that either.

All will be well. Hope you are not ill along with everyone else - you don't deserve that on a birthday break!

Michen

Visit site
Thank you :) I know I have been very, very ill indeed as I have neither been able to read or drink whisky...I can usually manage to ride but the last signs of life for this human are reading and a small tot of whisky so it has clearly been touch and go this week...!! I am now feeling a bit better but senior horse is a real handful so there is no way I could spend time arguing with him on Saturday and junior horse deserves a bit of hand holding at her first opening meet and as she has considerable...erm...'enthusiasm', I am not in a state to provide that either.

All will be well. Hope you are not ill along with everyone else - you don't deserve that on a birthday break!

That is ill indeed!!! Lot's of drugs and r and r needed not trying to control ponies!

No I got my flu/cold thing when I was on hol before, might have contributed to my burst ear drums.. diving congested and all that :D

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Had a good flatwork lesson this evening. Have now got a few ideas of what to work on, and some techniques for when things go a bit pear shaped. Also reassured me that with any luck, and a lot of time/work, he will get there! She said that the work he’s producing at the moment is worth 7s and 8s as when he remembers to breathe!

Nothing too exciting going on this weekend. Bit fitter Saturday which I’m very interested to hear his thoughts, then saddle fitter Sunday. Might go to the beach on Saturday if weather isn’t too vile… luckily for me can just decide on the day as it’s only 15mins down the road!

Chippers1

Visit site
Not much for me again (sounding like a broken record now!) horsebox is still in the garage, last I heard they were waiting for parts :rolleyes: every year it's the same...at least the MOT next year won't be due until the end of the season :D. Buzz's eye is looking loads better so have been doing a couple of steady hacks, vet is back out on Monday to check it over.
Also on Sunday my boyfriend is doing a 'jousting experience' (that I bought for him :p) they said that you didn't need to have any riding experience but as Buzz is stabled at a riding school I thought it would be a good idea for boyfriend to at least have sat on a horse before he went so he had a lesson on Tuesday - big mistake as he loved it!! He can't wait to have another lesson. Maybe one day we will be out hacking or competing together....