Weight for adult riding a sec A

Tinseltoes

Visit site
When I was younger aged around 15 and about 8.5stone,I had a 12.2 welsh pony,and was told I looked ok on her,as I was only 5ft 4.and stil am.But then when I had a 13.3hh welsh pony and I was 5ft 3 and 9 stone,I was told I was too big for him.I didnt take any notice anyway lol. He was well loved and taken care of.
I have a section A pony who is no bigger than 11.1hh and NO WAY would I put anyone over 6 stone on her.Shes unbroken anyway.
That pony looks lighter than my pure bred registered welsh section A.
Adults CAN NOT ride a 11hh pony.

OFG

Visit site
The best thing you could do would be to get the lady out to meet her in person and make a judgement call based on phyiscally seeing her. Has she said how much she weighs (or did you ask?) I had a little 12.3 which was way too much for my novice 9 year old to ride. I couldn't find a rider for her for love nor money (well, I probably could have found someone to ride her with me paying them). I ended up riding her myself, I am 5ft8 and 9.5 stone on a good day. She was fine and happily took me on 12 mile pleasure rides.

I have just recently got a 13.2 Exmoor on loan for me to ride out with my son on his 11.2 WsecA. He is a hoot to ride and fitted my criteria perfectly. I could have gone to look at the 17.2 Warmblood but as it wasn't what I needed I choose not to.

What does it matter if a rider looks too tall? As long as the pony is happy, and able, to carry the riders weight I don't see the problem. You will know soon enough if the pony is distressed with the riders weight.

Trot on dressage - I get the feeling from your posts that you are the sort of riders I meet who look down off your high horse (literally) at us adults who choose, for what ever reason, to ride ponies.

I don't have confidence issues on riding larger horses and in the past have worked in NH racing yards riding all the nutters, confirmed bolters etc that the other yard staff didn't want to get on.

Native Lover - go in to the hunting section and find the post about adults hunting ponies, great read.

Last edited:

rara007

Visit site
5'4 and probably around 9 stoneish on a full up section A
Ron1.jpg

He's a very big and strong section A and definately could carry more than me at the size I was then- Our LW 10.3 section A has a weight limit of around 4 stone and HW 11.1 section A around 6/7 stone as he has the curvy shape like yours does- though section As are shown at top level by adults and do all sorts of other things, tbh I don't think yours looks a weight carrier and would probably be happier with a smaller rider.

Here is the MGA rider weight chart vs pony height:
http://www.mgagb.co.uk/sites/default/files/rider_weights.pdf

Native Lover

Visit site
The best thing you could do would be to get the lady out to meet her in person and make a judgement call based on phyiscally seeing her. Has she said how much she weighs (or did you ask?) I had a little 12.3 which was way too much for my novice 9 year old to ride. I couldn't find a rider for her for love nor money (well, I probably could have found someone to ride her with me paying them). I ended up riding her myself, I am 5ft8 and 9.5 stone on a good day. She was fine and happily took me on 12 mile pleasure rides.

I have just recently got a 13.2 Exmoor on loan for me to ride out with my son on his 11.2 WsecA. He is a hoot to ride and fitted my criteria perfectly. I could have gone to look at the 17.2 Warmblood but as it wasn't what I needed I choose not to.

What does it matter if a rider looks too tall? As long as the pony is happy, and able, to carry the riders weight I don't see the problem. You will know soon enough if the pony is distressed with the riders weight.

Trot on dressage - I get the feeling from your posts that you are the sort of riders I meet who look down off your high horse (literally) at us adults who choose, for what ever reason, to ride ponies.

I don't have confidence issues on riding larger horses and in the past have worked in NH racing yards riding all the nutters, confirmed bolters etc that the other yard staff didn't want to get on.

Native Lover - go in to the hunting section and find the post about adults hunting ponies, great read.

I have invited the lady out to meet both me and the pony. If she is to big then we might break him to drive. She also doesn't want to ride him if he is too small, but is happy to have some pony time outside of work and will do groundwork and lunging with him.

I see nothing wrong with adults riding ponies if the pony can cope well with it. I myself have two fell ponies I ride and next year will have two section D youngsters to hack out. I find ponies fun to ride. They are mostly cheeky.

Interesting thread the hunting on ponies :) My Fell mare used to hunt with her former owners, she apperently love a days hunting.

SO1

Visit site
These are the pony club PPC weight restriction bearing in mind some of the ponies will be lighter types than the natives and the games are fast hard work I was quite surprised that the maximum weights were so high

A rider weighing over 54kg, (8.7 stone) may not ride a pony 128 cm or under.

A rider weighing over 60kg (9.6 stone) may not ride a pony 133cm or under.

A rider weighing over 66kg (10.5 stone) may not ride a pony 138cm or under.

I do think it might be useful for you to know how big your pony is though as there is a difference between 11h and 12h. If the 5.3ft lady was coming thinking the pony might be a hand bigger than it actually is then she might be disappointed. Might also be worth asking her what her definition is of light hacking and schooling, as schooling can be quite demanding depending on what you do. Maybe also ask her why she is wanting to ride such a small pony.

I am 5.1ft and 8st but personally I would not feel comfortable riding an 11h pony as I think my feet would be near its knees and the saddle might be too small for me to be comfortable.

I know that the small breed natives were traditionally used to carrying heavier weights and some were used as pit ponies but is that what we really want for the ponies now? I do wonder if they did not stay sound so long or had back problems when they were ridden by heavier adults.

I am not anti adults on ponies as I myself have a chunky 13.2 new forest but most teenagers at my yard are bigger than I am as I am only 5.1ft and 8 stone so I have a pony of this size because it is easier for me to groom, tack up and handle him. Of course if I was a bigger person then I would have a bigger horse!

I know you said you were worried about having unsupervised children on your yard but responsible parents would have the same concerns as you and not want to leave a young child alone with a stranger or leave their child alone with a pony at a young age. YO has quite a few small child sharing her shetland and they have never just dumped their children on the yard they have always supervised them but they have been mainly lead rein children.

xfeex

Visit site
I am 5'3" and 8.5 stone, I ride my pocket Rocket 12.2 'Arthur' out hunting and we both love it
ThePlough9032011-21-2-1.jpg

more recent pic (I am prob a little on the slimmer side)
386331_10150489625225630_526440629_10853101_66879066_n.jpg

I also let a taller teenager hunt him
388306_10150442389175630_526440629_10683870_1329202611_n-1.jpg

I think there is anything wrong with adults on ponies as long as they are not too heavy or dont look silly on them. It also depends how 'heavy' you ride.

I do have bigger horses but I have more fun on Arthur!

Tinseltoes

Visit site
These are the pony club PPC weight restriction bearing in mind some of the ponies will be lighter types than the natives and the games are fast hard work I was quite surprised that the maximum weights were so high

A rider weighing over 54kg, (8.7 stone) may not ride a pony 128 cm or under.

A rider weighing over 60kg (9.6 stone) may not ride a pony 133cm or under.

A rider weighing over 66kg (10.5 stone) may not ride a pony 138cm or under.

I do think it might be useful for you to know how big your pony is though as there is a difference between 11h and 12h. If the 5.3ft lady was coming thinking the pony might be a hand bigger than it actually is then she might be disappointed. Might also be worth asking her what her definition is of light hacking and schooling, as schooling can be quite demanding depending on what you do. Maybe also ask her why she is wanting to ride such a small pony.

I am 5.1ft and 8st but personally I would not feel comfortable riding an 11h pony as I think my feet would be near its knees and the saddle might be too small for me to be comfortable.

I know that the small breed natives were traditionally used to carrying heavier weights and some were used as pit ponies but is that what we really want for the ponies now? I do wonder if they did not stay sound so long or had back problems when they were ridden by heavier adults.

I am not anti adults on ponies as I myself have a chunky 13.2 new forest but most teenagers at my yard are bigger than I am as I am only 5.1ft and 8 stone so I have a pony of this size because it is easier for me to groom, tack up and handle him. Of course if I was a bigger person then I would have a bigger horse!

I know you said you were worried about having unsupervised children on your yard but responsible parents would have the same concerns as you and not want to leave a young child alone with a stranger or leave their child alone with a pony at a young age. YO has quite a few small child sharing her shetland and they have never just dumped their children on the yard they have always supervised them but they have been mainly lead rein children.

Those weight limits make sense. Anyone who is over 6st should not ride a section A.END OF.

Cheiro1

Visit site
I wouldnt put anything over 7 stone on your pony, he is tiny and really not built to carry weight.

The old "they used to carry farmers" they werent built like your pony when they did, they were built like brick outhouses!!!!!

ridefast

Visit site
I used to ride my little brothers 11.1 welsh when I was a teen, probably weighed 7stone, not regularly just for the odd hack, he was very solid built little pony.
When I left college I worked on a yard that had a 12.2 sec a who I would ride, at 5'1 and 8 stone, again fairly solid build had a good chest on him, I hacked schooled jumped and even did a dressage comp on him. Never gave me the feeling he was struggling with me although I have long legs so did feel like my feet were flapping about in the wind!
I too love ponies find them much more interesting ride than horses, lots of fun!
fredhead1

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I am 5'3" and 8.5 stone, I ride my pocket Rocket 12.2 'Arthur' out hunting and we both love it
ThePlough9032011-21-2-1.jpg

more recent pic (I am prob a little on the slimmer side)
386331_10150489625225630_526440629_10853101_66879066_n.jpg

I also let a taller teenager hunt him
388306_10150442389175630_526440629_10683870_1329202611_n-1.jpg

I think there is anything wrong with adults on ponies as long as they are not too heavy or dont look silly on them. It also depends how 'heavy' you ride.

I do have bigger horses but I have more fun on Arthur!

I recognise your pics was he up for sale recently? I think he got quite a lot of admiring comments on my facebook feed! :D

Megibo

Visit site
our friends have a section A about 12 hands, built like a brick outhouse and really very compact. a woman weighing 13 stone took him out hacking and he still buggered off with her!!
his regular rider is a skinny 12 year old though.
whereas our current welsh A is very dainty and has a 4/5 yr old and skinny 10 year old on him. their mum who weighs 10 stone jumped on for a 'quick go' up to the field and he wasn't impressed at all.

depends on the ponio! imo yours is not a weight carrier at all.

SO1

Visit site
People always presume if a ponies bucks or takes off with larger riders they have no problem carrying the weight and are doing so because they are "spirited" but could it also possibly be because they are are uncomfortable being ridden as pain can also cause bucking or taking off.

If a pony is going to be carrying the top end of weight that it is capable of carrying it might be worth getting its back and saddle checked on a regular basis just to sure there is no trouble brewing.

Last edited:

team barney

Visit site
People always presume if a ponies bucks or takes off with larger riders they have no problem carrying the weight and are doing so because they are "spirited" but could it also possibly be because they are are uncomfortable being ridden as pain can also cause bucking or taking off.

Exactly ^^^

I hate it when people argue that they ponies be fine carrying heavy weights because they misbehave.

teddyt

Visit site

If a pony is going to be carrying the top end of weight that it is capable of carrying it might be worth getting its back and saddle checked on a regular basis just to sure there is no trouble brewing.

Totally agree with all of this.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
What? Even a full up Sec A??

If the pony is CHUNKY and 12.1-12.2 then yes put over 6 stone but not over 9stone. But the pony in the pic is no way a weight carrier.Anyone who rode that pony over 6 stone or near there would simply be a pony squasher.
I was 9 stone and 5ft 4 and was told by my riding instructors mother that I was too big for my welsh 13.3 hh pony.I didnt take any notice as he was chunky and loved to be hacked out.

MuesliMoo

Visit site
If the pony is CHUNKY and 12.1-12.2 then yes put over 6 stone but not over 9stone. But the pony in the pic is no way a weight carrier.Anyone who rode that pony over 6 stone or near there would simply be a pony squasher.
I was 9 stone and 5ft 4 and was told by my riding instructors mother that I was too big for my welsh 13.3 hh pony.I didnt take any notice as he was chunky and loved to be hacked out.

Ok fair enough, it's just that your statement was no-one over 6stone should ride a Sec A, I thought that sounded a bit sweeping!

mystiandsunny

Visit site
I wouldn't ride an 11hh welshie and I'm 5ft4 and under 9 stone. I backed an 11.3hh a year or so ago - only because I was the lightest adult they had, and only for the actual backing and 5min periods of riding away. I felt ridiculous on her tbh. As soon as she knew the aids and could walk/trot I handed her over to a smaller, lighter teenager - about 5ft1 and 5-6stone. Even she looked a little big on her!

Thing is, you need a bottom small enough for the size of saddle that will fit - that will determine who can ride your pony more than anything!

LizzieJ

Visit site
When I was doing PPC at 5'6 and just under 8 st I did on occasions ride an 11.2 - our 'spare' essentially but he was much chunkier than the OP's - more like Rara's in build :) I don't think the Op's pony looks like he would carry much weight atm - I'd say 7st max if you could get a saddle to fit both. I'd be more confident a slightly shorter Shetland would carry more weight :)

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
Agree with lots that's been said on here about an adult riding that pony, which does appear to have a slightly dipped back. A 5'0" 6 stone rider would probably be ok but that can't be the norm for an adult. Also depends on if it's just for a few minutes or does the adult intend to ride it regularly? Can't imagine you'd get a saddle to fit the pony comfortably and big enough to fit an adult-size bum!

I'm not against adults riding ponies - I do (14hh NF) and I'm 5'5 & 11 stone but your height and weight have to be in proportion to the size and fitness of the pony.

Native Lover

Visit site
Two teens girls rode him during the christmas hols and took him out hacking he was fine both these riders are over 7 stone and don't look to bad on him. When he is fitter I think he will be fine with a bit more weight. He didn't seem struggle at all.

skyeDarcy.jpg

skyedarcy2.jpg

003-4.jpg

Tickles

Visit site
Both girls look too big on him. (No, I'm not saying they are overweight, just over the weight the pony should carry.)

The pony isn't that big or strong looking.

The pony is probably better off with you than some other free homes (meat man) but you need to take his long term health and well being into account a bit more!

Try your local pony club/putting a notice up in local riding school for smaller (i.e. almost certainly small CHILD) riders.

Ginger Bear

Visit site
One of the little girls on my yard has a sec a same size as urs.. I have ridden her on the odd occasion when she has been too strong for the 8yo girl. I'm 5'2 & 7 1/2 stone & she has carried me fine but is very strong & fit. I probably wouldn't put an adult on a pony that small all the time though.. And as already said ur pony has a dipped back. I'm actually surprised an adult would want to loan a horse so small, I've never felt very safe when cantering such a tiny pony.

Morgan123

Visit site
Welsh as were used by farmers - big men - to carry them, obv thats probably not massively advisable but they are strong. if she's not a heavy lady i cant see thrted be a problem, and as for 'why would she want to' that someone said above - why not?!? Everyone kmiws ponies are the most fun!!

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
Friend of a friend breaks in her parents' Section A Welshies for showing. She's 5ft 4, slim and not a single problem! Think it's more about weight than height. Also, some horse and ponies resent having a lot of leg wrapped round them, while many benefit from it. So all in all, I think the answer won't be clear until you meet the lady and she meets the pony!

Native Lover

Visit site
The reason I want a teen or small adult is that I don't have to supervise them. Both the teens that rode him over christmas can go in the field with my other horses and ponies , catch him up and tack him up , hack him without supervising them. They know there horses and are sensible. If he plays up, or they come off him they laugh it off.

I already have my daughters shetland pony who is an almost perfect lead rein pony and the few times I have managed to find a little jockey I end up doing all the work due to none horssie parents :(

This guy is 12 and too young to be just left in the field for the rest of his life. And not only that he will probably get lammi if i did just leave him in a field with no excercise. I can lunge him but I want to find someone who will enjoy him.

Lwhite

Visit site
Have read with interest all the replies and have to say that some of them were a bit "size-ist". As a mature lady who prefers ponies to horses I have put up with these sorts of comments for over 40 years. I have owned and competed bigger animals in the past but allways go back to ponies as they are more challenging and fun.
I allways worry for our younger riders who feel the need to be on something bigger and end up being over horsed which is just as bad.
At the end of the day anyone with any horse sense knows there own animal and whether it can cope with their weight or not, breed or type doesn't matter as long as the partnership is a good and happy one for both rider and mount.

Native Lover

Visit site
Have read with interest all the replies and have to say that some of them were a bit "size-ist". As a mature lady who prefers ponies to horses I have put up with these sorts of comments for over 40 years. I have owned and competed bigger animals in the past but allways go back to ponies as they are more challenging and fun.
I allways worry for our younger riders who feel the need to be on something bigger and end up being over horsed which is just as bad.
At the end of the day anyone with any horse sense knows there own animal and whether it can cope with their weight or not, breed or type doesn't matter as long as the partnership is a good and happy one for both rider and mount.

I am a adult pony rider myself owning two Fell ponies and two Welsh section D's. I love there personalities. :)

The teens in the photos used to ride my ponies but have now moved on to a 16.1 Hanovarian. I do have one 14 year old sharer for my Fell pony but in this area most teen sharers seem to want a horse rather than a pony :( I struggle to find riders for my larger ponies.