Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

rsm100

New User
Visit site
How would I find a cars GVW before buying it? Sorry I must be annoying the living hell out of you, it’s just I don’t want to be in the wrong side of the law.

ROG

Visit site
How would I find a cars GVW before buying it? Sorry I must be annoying the living hell out of you, it’s just I don’t want to be in the wrong side of the law.

Try a google search - 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0 Di-D kg gvw - for example

Lego

Visit site
Hi.
Please could you give some guidance on what figures I need to be looking for in a car to tow on B license?

Is it the MAM I need to be looking at?

Looking at buying a friend's Ifor 403.

Ifor 403
Gross weight 1600kg
Unladen weight 767kg

Horse max 575kg (taped 500kg now, weighbridge 560kg when in full dressage work)

I understand I could probably downplate the trailer a bit if needed?

Thank in advance!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Hi ROG, wonder if you can help again... new set up needed. Losing my trusty Patrol :(

I've been looking at a new Volvo XC60 D4 AWD Auto 190bhp

1 - BE
2 - Total weight 8-speed auto gearbox 2500kg
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle - 2505kg
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity - 2400kg
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres - 2340kg
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer - 905kg

It just looks too good to be true... will it tow two 15hh horses?

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG, wonder if you can help again... new set up needed. Losing my trusty Patrol :(

I've been looking at a new Volvo XC60 D4 AWD Auto 190bhp

1 - BE
2 - Total weight 8-speed auto gearbox 2500kg
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle - 2505kg
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity - 2400kg
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres - 2340kg
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer - 905kg

It just looks too good to be true... will it tow two 15hh horses?

Max load for trailer = 1435kg

ROG

Visit site
Hi.
Please could you give some guidance on what figures I need to be looking for in a car to tow on B license?

Is it the MAM I need to be looking at?

Looking at buying a friend's Ifor 403.

Ifor 403
Gross weight 1600kg
Unladen weight 767kg

Horse max 575kg (taped 500kg now, weighbridge 560kg when in full dressage work)

I understand I could probably downplate the trailer a bit if needed?

Thank in advance!
If the trailer was down plated to 1400 then the max GVW for the towing vehicle will be 2100

You could get away with down plating the trailer to 1350 but that gets a bit tight

TRS

New User
Visit site
Hi, I need to replace my tow car after 12 years of faithful service. My current car has a petrol engine, but, despite all the warnings about particulates and moves to discourage diesel cars, it's almost impossible to find a 4wd petrol car with a reasonable towing capability. The only one we have found is the Subaru Forester (petrol auto has 2000kg tow weight). However, the Forester has a tow ball limit of only 80kg, but Ifor Williams tell me my 505 trailer has a nose weight of 97kg. Presumably then this is not a safe combination, and I need a car with at least 100kg tow ball weight?
Another we are considering is a Kia Sportage, some (diesel) models have a 2,200kg tow weight, which seems a lot for a not particularly big car.
I have an IW505, and usually tow one 500kg horse, occasionally also a 300kg pony, but it would be nice to have the capability to tow two 500kg horses if required, and as an oldie I have B+E licence.
This is also going to be an every day car, so needs to be reasonably economical to run. Any other suggestions?

Was there ever a reply to this query? I have searched the main forum and can't seem to find anything. If there was a response, could you please kindly share a link to where it is posted, as I have a similar query. Many thanks

Laura2408

Visit site
Hi ROG.
Is there a way to downplate a trailer without going through Ifor Williams (who’s customer service is shocking!)

Can I just have a new plate printed up myself with the new weight and would this be legal?

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG.
Is there a way to downplate a trailer without going through Ifor Williams (who’s customer service is shocking!)

Can I just have a new plate printed up myself with the new weight and would this be legal?

Not legal unless done through the manufacturer of the trailer as it has to be put on the manufacturers database

Laura2408

Visit site
The trailer was stolen and recovered in 2013 but as a result has has had a replacement VIN plate issued by Ifor as the trailer wasn’t able to be identified as the serial numbers had been rubbed off. It has a different vin number to the one it was registered with as the original serial could not be found.

It’s legal and registered but due to this they won’t downplate as they can not be sure of the year in which it was manufactured or who owned it while it was stolen.

Seems a bit petty but I suppose there isn’t much I can do about it!

ROG

Visit site
The trailer was stolen and recovered in 2013 but as a result has has had a replacement VIN plate issued by Ifor as the trailer wasn’t able to be identified as the serial numbers had been rubbed off. It has a different vin number to the one it was registered with as the original serial could not be found.

It’s legal and registered but due to this they won’t downplate as they can not be sure of the year in which it was manufactured or who owned it while it was stolen.

Seems a bit petty but I suppose there isn’t much I can do about it!

AH - I see - yes that would be an issue

Unlucky to have that particular trailer and need it down plating !!!!!

Laura2408

Visit site
Very! I bought it legitimately and had no idea it would be an issue as I presumed that as a new plate had been issued it wouldn’t be a problem. Should have checked before hand, ifor won’t even entertain it hence wondering if I can just have a plate made up myself as I’m sure nobody would check!

ROG

Visit site
Very! I bought it legitimately and had no idea it would be an issue as I presumed that as a new plate had been issued it wouldn’t be a problem. Should have checked before hand, ifor won’t even entertain it hence wondering if I can just have a plate made up myself as I’m sure nobody would check!
It will not be legal and will invalidate any insurance
If doing it to conform to B licence towing then that will be - driving not in accordance with the licence - which can result in no insurance and seizure of the vehicle

NOT WORTH THE RISK OF 6 POINTS ETC ETC ETC

Gypley

Visit site
Could someone please let me know the laws for towing when you haven’t yet passed your B+E test but will be towing whilst accompanied by someone that has?
How many years do they need to have held their B+E ? And I assume the trailer will need L plates.

Have looked online but can’t seem to find anything that states the law in these circumstances

ROG

Visit site
Could someone please let me know the laws for towing when you haven’t yet passed your B+E test but will be towing whilst accompanied by someone that has?
How many years do they need to have held their B+E ? And I assume the trailer will need L plates.

Have looked online but can’t seem to find anything that states the law in these circumstances

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

ROG

Visit site
Please could you check one for me ROG?

I would need -
1 - B licence
2 - 1716kg
3 - 2230kg
4 - 2100kg
5 - 1600
6 - 767kg
Many thanks
Trailer would need down plating from 1600 to 1270 to conform to B licence towing laws
At 1270 that would leave a max of 503 which can be loaded into the trailer

TRS

New User
Visit site
Hi

Details requested below:

1 - What licence they hold - B or BE - Passed my test in 1995, so BE
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle – Kerb weight is 1653 kg
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle – can’t find this and not sure how to work it out. Vehicle is a Honda CR-V 2.2L CTDI
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle 2,000kg
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres Ifor Williams HB506 with Gross Weight of 2600kg
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer " = Ifor Williams HB506 with Unladen Weight of 920kg

I plan to tow one 470kgs horse

ROG

Visit site
Hi

Details requested below:

1 - What licence they hold - B or BE - Passed my test in 1995, so BE
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle – Kerb weight is 1653 kg
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle – can’t find this and not sure how to work it out. Vehicle is a Honda CR-V 2.2L CTDI
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle 2,000kg
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres Ifor Williams HB506 with Gross Weight of 2600kg
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer " = Ifor Williams HB506 with Unladen Weight of 920kg

I plan to tow one 470kgs horse

Max you can load into the trailer is 1080kg

With a max trailer load of 1080 then all the rest is legal on a B+E

Batgirl

Visit site
Hi ROG, selfish one/trying to make sure people are safe one!
I am selling my trailer it is 1600 MAM, are there vehicles that would be suitable for a B set up without down plating the trailer? (I am anticipating questions as I have a B+E so not an issue for me!)

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG, selfish one/trying to make sure people are safe one!
I am selling my trailer it is 1600 MAM, are there vehicles that would be suitable for a B set up without down plating the trailer? (I am anticipating questions as I have a B+E so not an issue for me!)
Yes - many of them - max GVW 1900kg

Just explain that for about £50 and a little work to remove and fix plate that the process to down plate is dead easy

I would have IW tel number on a piece of paper along with the process

whoshelen

New User
Visit site
Trailer would need down plating from 1600 to 1270 to conform to B licence towing laws
At 1270 that would leave a max of 503 which can be loaded into the trailer

Thanks for this.. Ifor Williams only offer 1200kg or 1300kg is there any other way of getting a downplate as it's a little tight?