Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

lauraheads

Visit site
85% is for caravans and not any other sort of trailer so ignore that bit
The rest you have spot on
Bateson have told me that they can down plate to any figure so if you got a vehicle that is 2125 GVW they can downplate to 1375 for example
Fab thank you

Widgeon

Visit site
Hello all (apologies if this is the wrong place for this question) - I have a few question about trailer hire - if anyone can answer I'd be very grateful. So, if I hire a trailer;

- does the hire company cover insurance of the actual trailer itself, i.e. damage to the trailer?
- does my insurance cover me for damage to others while towing a trailer? (presume this may vary between policies?)
- does my breakdown cover cover me when towing? (again, I will check policy)
- do I need additional recovery cover for my horse if I broke down while towing?

I should add, I won't be going very far, but I'd like to know where I stand on all these things. Obviously they may vary between insurance providers but presumably the majority are similar? I'll check my insurance documents. And is there anything I've forgotten?

ROG

Visit site
Hello all (apologies if this is the wrong place for this question) - I have a few question about trailer hire - if anyone can answer I'd be very grateful. So, if I hire a trailer;

1- does the hire company cover insurance of the actual trailer itself, i.e. damage to the trailer?
2- does my insurance cover me for damage to others while towing a trailer? (presume this may vary between policies?)
3- does my breakdown cover cover me when towing? (again, I will check policy)
4- do I need additional recovery cover for my horse if I broke down while towing?

I should add, I won't be going very far, but I'd like to know where I stand on all these things. Obviously they may vary between insurance providers but presumably the majority are similar? I'll check my insurance documents. And is there anything I've forgotten?
1- Ask them
2- call your insurer
3- as 2
4- as 2
As all your questions will be specific to the policies involved then those are the only answers that I can give

Widgeon

Visit site
1- Ask them
2- call your insurer
3- as 2
4- as 2
As all your questions will be specific to the policies involved then those are the only answers that I can give

Ok, judging by that answer this probably was the wrong place to post this, sorry. I was really after an idea of how other people sort these things out - I can't be making four separate phone calls every time I want to hire a trailer - at the moment it takes around half an hour just to get through to my insurance and breakdown providers!

ROG

Visit site
Ok, judging by that answer this probably was the wrong place to post this, sorry. I was really after an idea of how other people sort these things out - I can't be making four separate phone calls every time I want to hire a trailer - at the moment it takes around half an hour just to get through to my insurance and breakdown providers!
2 calls not 4

Bigfoxtrot

New User
Visit site
With a GVW of 2250 that leaves you a max plated MAM for a trailer of 1250
A 401 is just under 770 ish empty so lets say 800 which leaves 450 for the horse - is your horse heavier than 450kg?

If horse within 450 then then the 401 can be down plated from 1600 to 1250

Hi ROG
I have my B+E
Heres my vehicle vin
1830kg
3080kg
1- 975 kg
2- 940 kg
Here’s my trailer plate
Gross 1500 kg
Unladen weight 650kg
Looking to tow a pony weighing 400kg

please help

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG
I have my B+E
Heres my vehicle vin
1830kg
3080kg
1- 975 kg
2- 940 kg
Here’s my trailer plate
Gross 1500 kg
Unladen weight 650kg
Looking to tow a pony weighing 400kg

please help
3080-1830=1250 so the maximum towing capacity is 1250 UNLESS stated otherwise on the V5 keepers doc
650+400=1050 so you are towing 1050
You have 200 more load weight available

This combination is also legal using a B licence because 1830+1500=3330 so under the 3500 B tow limit

Bigfoxtrot

New User
Visit site
3080-1830=1250 so the maximum towing capacity is 1250 UNLESS stated otherwise on the V5 keepers doc
650+400=1050 so you are towing 1050
You have 200 more load weight available

This combination is also legal using a B licence because 1830+1500=3330 so under the 3500 B tow limit

Thankyou Rog
Massive help
All the best

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
ROG please could I have your help and opinion. OH is looking at a 2008 freelander 2 2.2 td4 gs. Lovely looking vehicle but I need it to tow.
Trailer is a 505 classic. Tow capic8of vehicle is 2000kg.
Horse weighs approx 600 kg.
Only ever travel one horse without partition. I passed my test befor 1997.

ROG

Visit site
ROG please could I have your help and opinion. OH is looking at a 2008 freelander 2 2.2 td4 gs. Lovely looking vehicle but I need it to tow.
Trailer is a 505 classic. Tow capic8of vehicle is 2000kg.
Horse weighs approx 600 kg.
Only ever travel one horse without partition. I passed my test befor 1997.
I think the 505 is 900 empty
900+600=1500 leaving you with 500 to spare in the trailer with a 2000 tow max

Willow1306

Visit site
Considering changing my car and suspect it may be possible to get a vehicle that I can tow legally tow 1 horse with, despite not having done my trailer test...

Any recommendations on a good vehicle + trailer combination for somebody without a B+E license for towing 1 x 550kg horse. Would need to be a relatively economical every day car, not just tow car.

Other option is to keep my existing car and buy a cheap 3.5t horsebox, but would thinking the car + trailer may be more economical.

ROG

Visit site
Considering changing my car and suspect it may be possible to get a vehicle that I can tow legally tow 1 horse with, despite not having done my trailer test...

Any recommendations on a good vehicle + trailer combination for somebody without a B+E license for towing 1 x 550kg horse. Would need to be a relatively economical every day car, not just tow car.

Other option is to keep my existing car and buy a cheap 3.5t horsebox, but would thinking the car + trailer may be more economical.
Try this but there are many more examples -
Skoda Octavia 4x4
GVW 2100
Max tow 2000

Bateson Derby trailer
MAM 1700 but can be down plated to 1500 for a tenner and a bit of work changing the plates
Empty 675
At 1500 minus 675 = max trailer load of 825 (your horse 550)

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Ive been looking at vehicles to replace the freelander 1 I tow with atm (when the car is working) on just a B. The 2l Seat Ateca 4WD is 2100kg GVW and can tow 2000kg which would work with my set up which is a downplated (to 1400kg) Ifor 403 with a 600kg horse. Not a recommendation, just a more modern car option which normally is better fuel economy!

billybo-95

New User
Visit site
Hello! ROG just wondering if you can help me!

I have 2 scenarios I would be grateful for your help with clarifying please! (looking at buying either of the cars)

Scenario 1...
B Licence
Skoda Octavia
Kerb Weight - 1400kg
GVW - 1985kg
Towing Capacity - 1400kg
Unladen Trailer - 750kg
Gross Trailer Weight - 1600kg
Horse - 500kg
Other than getting the trailer downplated to say 1300kg, am I correct that this set up is legal?

Scenario 2...
B licence
Ford Kuga
Kerb Weight - 1539kg
GVW - 2250kg
Towing Capacity - 1900kg
Same trailer weights
I assume this is not legal as the GVW plus towing capacity exceeds 3500kg at 4150kg? Or am I wrong?

Thanks for your help!

ROG

Visit site
Hello! ROG just wondering if you can help me!

I have 2 scenarios I would be grateful for your help with clarifying please! (looking at buying either of the cars)

Scenario 1...
B Licence
Skoda Octavia
Kerb Weight - 1400kg
GVW - 1985kg
Towing Capacity - 1400kg
Unladen Trailer - 750kg
Gross Trailer Weight - 1600kg
Horse - 500kg
Other than getting the trailer downplated to say 1300kg, am I correct that this set up is legal?

Scenario 2...
B licence
Ford Kuga
Kerb Weight - 1539kg
GVW - 2250kg
Towing Capacity - 1900kg
Same trailer weights
I assume this is not legal as the GVW plus towing capacity exceeds 3500kg at 4150kg? Or am I wrong?

Thanks for your help!
1 - Down plate to 1500 not 1300 but due to max tow of 1400 can only load trailer with 650

2 - down plate trailer to 1250 but that only leaves 500 for trailer load which is VERY tight

billybo-95

New User
Visit site
1 - Down plate to 1500 not 1300 but due to max tow of 1400 can only load trailer with 650

2 - down plate trailer to 1250 but that only leaves 500 for trailer load which is VERY tight

Sorry I am confused now...with option 1...isn't 1500 over the tow capacity of 1400? So doesnt it need to be 1400 or less?

Thanks

ROG

Visit site
Sorry I am confused now...with option 1...isn't 1500 over the tow capacity of 1400? So doesnt it need to be 1400 or less?

Thanks
There is no law or rule which states the MAM of a trailer cannot be more than the towing capacity of the towing vehicle - some internet myths say differently !

Legal example
Vehicle towing capacity 1200
Trailer MAM 3500
Trailer empty 1000
Max load for trailer 200

kidsandponies

Visit site
Hi ROG

Please may you help me? I have completely tied myself up in knots going round and round in circles with this, I just cannot get my head around it and what all the numbers mean (and my husband is just confusing me even more!!).

I have a Honda CRV Black Edition, 2015 model (diesel) and am looking to tow a Bateson Deauville trailer which has a gross weight of 2300kg, unladen weight of 860kg.

I would be looking to put two squirty ponies on there, each weighing approximately 300kg.

I assumed I would have to take my B+E and actually have an assessment lesson booked (the training centre wanted to book me in for a two day course with test at the end but having never towed before I was hesitant as didn’t think this would be enough)!

A friend has now said that if I only tow the ponies and nothing heavier I won’t have to do my test (although I think I still will just for peace of mind). I could kick myself, if I had pulled my finger out and started driving when I turned 17 I would have passed pre ‘97!

Please could you advise if legally, I do need to do my test.

Many thanks

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG

Please may you help me? I have completely tied myself up in knots going round and round in circles with this, I just cannot get my head around it and what all the numbers mean (and my husband is just confusing me even more!!).

I have a Honda CRV Black Edition, 2015 model (diesel) and am looking to tow a Bateson Deauville trailer which has a gross weight of 2300kg, unladen weight of 860kg.

I would be looking to put two squirty ponies on there, each weighing approximately 300kg.

I assumed I would have to take my B+E and actually have an assessment lesson booked (the training centre wanted to book me in for a two day course with test at the end but having never towed before I was hesitant as didn’t think this would be enough)!

A friend has now said that if I only tow the ponies and nothing heavier I won’t have to do my test (although I think I still will just for peace of mind). I could kick myself, if I had pulled my finger out and started driving when I turned 17 I would have passed pre ‘97!

Many thanks
I need the GVW of your Honda then I can give you a definitive answer

ROG

Visit site

Working backwards without the GVW ...
300+300+900(860+) = 1500
Down plating the trailer from 2300 to 1500 leaves a max GVW of 2000 for the vehicle to keep within B licence towing laws

kidsandponies

Visit site
Working backwards without the GVW ...
300+300+900(860+) = 1500
Down plating the trailer from 2300 to 1500 leaves a max GVW of 2000 for the vehicle to keep within B licence towing laws

Thank you so much ROG, I have tried to find the plate on the car, I’ve looked on both pillars driver and passenger side, in the foot wells and under the bonnet and just cannot see it - I will ask my husband to look when he gets home, it must be there somewhere but I cannot believe I am being so blind as to not find it.

So, am I right in thinking that if we down plate the trailer I would be within towing laws?

I am sorry, I can’t quite believe how difficult I am finding this!

ROG

Visit site
Thank you so much ROG, I have tried to find the plate on the car, I’ve looked on both pillars driver and passenger side, in the foot wells and under the bonnet and just cannot see it - I will ask my husband to look when he gets home, it must be there somewhere but I cannot believe I am being so blind as to not find it.

So, am I right in thinking that if we down plate the trailer I would be within towing laws?

I am sorry, I can’t quite believe how difficult I am finding this!
Do you have the V5 DVLA keepers doc ?

kidsandponies

Visit site
Do you have the V5 DVLA keepers doc ?

Yes, I have that! If I can work out how to attach a file I can send a picture if that helps?

I am sorry to be such a pain!

*edited to add picture (hope it works!)*

Attachments

• 3F87D797-6456-4CB3-B53C-9E67048DF509.jpeg
    3F87D797-6456-4CB3-B53C-9E67048DF509.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Yes, I have that! If I can work out how to attach a file I can send a picture if that helps?

I am sorry to be such a pain!

*edited to add picture (hope it works!)*
Max permissible mass = 2200kg = GVW
With a GVW of 2200 the max plated MAM the trailer can be is 1300

You could get a Bateson Derby mare & foal trailer for your 2 x 300kg horses
That can be down plated to 1300 and is 675 empty leaving you with a max trailer load of 625kg
Otherwise its the B+E test needed or an expensive vehicle change to something with a GVW of no more than 2000

kidsandponies

Visit site
Max permissible mass = 2200kg = GVW
With a GVW of 2200 the max plated MAM the trailer can be is 1300

You could get a Bateson Derby mare & foal trailer for your 2 x 300kg horses
That can be down plated to 1300 and is 675 empty leaving you with a max trailer load of 625kg
Otherwise its the B+E test needed or an expensive vehicle change to something with a GVW of no more than 2000

Thank you so much ROG! I am going to continue to do my trailer test (and pray I don’t fall apart under test conditions). For peace of mind I would be more confident with some lessons before I tow and I will then be covered when the children eventually need bigger ponies!

I really appreciate the time you’ve put into this.

ROG

Visit site
Thank you so much ROG! I am going to continue to do my trailer test (and pray I don’t fall apart under test conditions). For peace of mind I would be more confident with some lessons before I tow and I will then be covered when the children eventually need bigger ponies!

I really appreciate the time you’ve put into this.
That is why I am on this site
If you can get some L plate practice in by having a supervising driver sit next to you on the road plus do lots of private ground reversing then the cost of doing B+E will come right down
Supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they actually drive it
Supervising driving needs to be over age 21 and have held B+E for at least 3 years so it could be your 100 year old neighbour - seriously

WelshHoarder

Visit site
Hi ROG

Can I call on your expertise? I keep looking at this, and I have all sorts of numbers on scraps of paper, but still no clearer as to what we can actually tow

Husband has B+E licence (held since 1992)
Car is a 2015 2.2 Diesel Kia Sorento - Automatic
Kerb weight I believe is 1953kg
GVW is 2560kg
Braked towing capacity is 2000kg (750kg unbraked)

We’re looking to buy a trailer to take son’s pony out and about to stop relying on friends/transporters - she’s a fairly chunky 13.2 Welsh C, I haven’t had a weight tape on her yet though...

He’s eyeing up the HB506/511 but I have no idea if this set up would be legal, and I’ve ended up completely confusing myself! Unladen weights are 920kg/1000kg, but max gross weights of the trailers are 2600kg/2700kg.

Can you work out what we should actually be going out to look for before he goes too far down the path of wanting someone he can’t have? do we need to be looking for something smaller/older/lighter?

(Just praying I haven’t just talked him into having a tow bar fitted for nothing!)

Last edited: