Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

chestnuttyy

Visit site
A new law/rule for down plating trailers came in some time ago where manufacturers had to list the various possible weights for each trailer and most went for exact multiples of 100

Down plated to 1400 would leave a max trailer load of 633kg
What weight do you need to put in the trailer?

Thank you, what a total pain :(. I think my horse is around the 600kg mark which I know is fine, but I worry he might be slightly over!

ROG

Visit site
Thank you, what a total pain :(. I think my horse is around the 600kg mark which I know is fine, but I worry he might be slightly over!
Any way of weighing the horse ? - perhaps by using a friends trailer - they weigh the empty trailer then you put horse in it and then weigh it again. Give friend a few quid to cover any costs - IDEA?

RHM

Visit site
Quick question - does is matter if you are towing to the max capacity of your car? My RAV4 has a tow capacity of 1650kg and I am looking at getting a Bateson lightweight trailer which has unladen weight of 675kg, for travelling one horse of 550kg. Will this leave me enough umph to get up hills etc? And does the fact my tow bar is detachable impact on this?

ROG

Visit site
Quick question - does is matter if you are towing to the max capacity of your car? My RAV4 has a tow capacity of 1650kg and I am looking at getting a Bateson lightweight trailer which has unladen weight of 675kg, for travelling one horse of 550kg. Will this leave me enough umph to get up hills etc? And does the fact my tow bar is detachable impact on this?
If it is a factory fitted towbar then that is ok
675+550=1250 so well under the max 1650
If it does not go up hills at 1650 then sue the manufacturer
Are you towing under B or BE licence?

RHM

Visit site
If it is a factory fitted towbar then that is ok
675+550=1250 so well under the max 1650
If it does not go up hills at 1650 then sue the manufacturer
Are you towing under B or BE licence?
Thanks so much for this! Yes it’s factory fitted and it’s a B so will need the trailer down plating I presume?

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Very basic question but I can't seem to find an answer online. I will be doing B+E test, when I'm working out what weight I'm towing (looking at VW Tiguan or Audi Q5 so about 2,400-2,500 tow capacity, I know they vary but I will be getting the specific model that tows the most!) do I include people and tack that will be in the car? Or is it just what is in the trailer?

ROG

Visit site
Very basic question but I can't seem to find an answer online. I will be doing B+E test, when I'm working out what weight I'm towing (looking at VW Tiguan or Audi Q5 so about 2,400-2,500 tow capacity, I know they vary but I will be getting the specific model that tows the most!) do I include people and tack that will be in the car? Or is it just what is in the trailer?
I hope you do not have people in the trailer !!!!!
this link lists a few RAV4s so scroll down ans see if yours is there
https://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-conte...0120221MTOYOTARAV4TECHNICALSPECIFICATIONS.pdf

ROG

Visit site
It is 2,215 kg, mine is the Toyota RAV4 2.5 VVT-i Hybrid Dynamic AWD model.
Many trailer manufacturers can only down plate to exact 100s such as 1100 1200 1300 etc
This could be an issue on a B licence with your 2215 GVW because you could be restricted to a 1200 trailer down plate which only leaves 525 for the max trailer load

RHM

Visit site
Many trailer manufacturers can only down plate to exact 100s such as 1100 1200 1300 etc
This could be an issue on a B licence with your 2215 GVW because you could be restricted to a 1200 trailer down plate which only leaves 525 for the max trailer load
Oh that will be a issue! Might have to do the test at this rate. Thanks for flagging I had no idea!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I still don't really understand all of the towing jargon so I'm hoping I have this right...

I have a Ford Galaxy that weighs 1728kg.
It's towing capacity is 2000kg.
I 'think I have read that the vehicle shouldn't tow more than 85% of It's own weight..???
85% of It's own weight is 1468kg.....is this the amount I can legally and safely tow with this car..???
Car is a diesel auto.
Thanks in advance ☺

ROG

Visit site
I still don't really understand all of the towing jargon so I'm hoping I have this right...

I have a Ford Galaxy that weighs 1728kg.
It's towing capacity is 2000kg.
I 'think I have read that the vehicle shouldn't tow more than 85% of It's own weight..???
85% of It's own weight is 1468kg.....is this the amount I can legally and safely tow with this car..???
Car is a diesel auto.
Thanks in advance ☺
85% is for caravans only
Do you have B or BE licence?
If only B licence I need GVW of vehicle not its empty weight

ROG

Visit site
Would this combo work?
B+E test (booked)
Freelander 2, 2.2, 12 plate
Batesons Deauville trailer
1 horse - 16.2 approx 650kg
Need more info
If using BE licence then need max towing capacity
If using B licence then need GVW as well
Batesons Deauville trailer = empty 860 and plated MAM 2300

ROG

Visit site
Sorry. New to this. The GVW would be 1920kg and could you tell me about both licences - although B+E Test and lessons booked. Thanks!
INFO so far .....
Car GVW 1920
1 horse - approx 650kg
Batesons Deauville trailer = empty 860 and plated MAM 2300

650 + 860 = 1510
You can tow a trailer with that vehicle on a B licence providing the trailer is not plated at more than 1580kg MAM

I called Bateson on 0161 426 0500 and you can get the trailer down plated from 2300 to 1580 so it is worth a call - they will inform you how to do it and the cost involved is £10

No need for B+E test if you do that

DaisyO

New User
Visit site
I am completely lost when it comes to towing rules, so hopefully you can help! (not decided on which car to buy yet, but if it could tow that would be a bonus!)

I'm not sure I can answer all of your questions, but I know the following.. BE license held, Car kerbweight is 1526, towing capacity is 2000KG, would be towing an IW HB506 and one 500kg horse.

From what I (think) I know, this wouldn't be legal? Or at the least the weight of the trailer & horse would be too close to the vehicle weight?

Help?? :)

ROG

Visit site
I am completely lost when it comes to towing rules, so hopefully you can help! (not decided on which car to buy yet, but if it could tow that would be a bonus!)

I'm not sure I can answer all of your questions, but I know the following.. BE license held, Car kerbweight is 1526, towing capacity is 2000KG, would be towing an IW HB506 and one 500kg horse.

From what I (think) I know, this wouldn't be legal? Or at the least the weight of the trailer & horse would be too close to the vehicle weight?

Help?? :)
IW HB506 = 920 empty
That means with a 2000 max tow you can load 1080 into the trailer
The IW HB506 is plated at 2600 but you are limited to 2000 total actual weight due to the max tow for the vehicle
No need to down plate the trailer - you just have 600 trailer capacity you cannot use

DaisyO

New User
Visit site
IW HB506 = 920 empty
That means with a 2000 max tow you can load 1080 into the trailer
The IW HB506 is plated at 2600 but you are limited to 2000 total actual weight due to the max tow for the vehicle
No need to down plate the trailer - you just have 600 trailer capacity you cannot use

Thank you for such a quick response! That's really helpful.

lauraheads

Visit site
Hi I just want to check ....
Looking at a Bateson derby 675kg to travel one horse 650kg with no partition in ( 75kg). So with tack / hay/ water I'd be looking to downplate to ideally 1350kg or 1400kg

So from what I have read am I correct in thinking

1. I ideally want a to tow a max of 85% of the kerbweight so I need a car around 1750kg

2. That the gross vehicle weight would have to be a maximum of 2100kg

(Gross weight of car and trailer must be 3500kg or under?)

ROG

Visit site
Hi I just want to check ....
Looking at a Bateson derby 675kg to travel one horse 650kg with no partition in ( 75kg). So with tack / hay/ water I'd be looking to downplate to ideally 1350kg or 1400kg

So from what I have read am I correct in thinking

1. I ideally want a to tow a max of 85% of the kerbweight so I need a car around 1750kg

2. That the gross vehicle weight would have to be a maximum of 2100kg

(Gross weight of car and trailer must be 3500kg or under?)
85% is for caravans and not any other sort of trailer so ignore that bit
The rest you have spot on
Bateson have told me that they can down plate to any figure so if you got a vehicle that is 2125 GVW they can downplate to 1375 for example