Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

ROG

Visit site
I have an xtrial 4x4 and have a B licence. So was thinking hopefully a lighter single trailer so as to not have to do a trailer test.
Is that possible?

my car braked towing capacity is 2000kg
Trailer weight would be 767kg ( if ifor williams 401/ 403
Pony 443kg
Car weight 1525 kg

To give a definitive answer I need -
GVW of Xtrail which is Max permissible mass on V5 doc or top of the 4 numbers on the weight plate usually hidden uner bonnet or in a door frame

You WILL have to contact IW and have the trailer down plated but to what I cannot say without knowing the Xtrail GVW

ROG

Visit site
Not sure if correct numbers but Top 4 I can see are passenger front x rear ?
2.0 2.0
29 29
What is GVW?

GVW = Gross Vehicle Weight = the max it can legally be when fully loaded

GVW & MAM mean the same thing

MAM is the trailers GVW

Total MAM for B licence towing is 3500 so if GVW is say 2200 then max trailer MAM can be 1300

Have you got the DVLA V5 keepers doc handy to look up the max permissible mass ????

Or is the vehicle handy to look at the weight plate ?

Weight plate will read something like this -

ROG

Visit site
The procedure for down plating a trailer is as follows -

You contact the manufacturer (IW TEL 01490 412626) with all the trailer details including the serial number
You remove/drill out the original plate
You send plate plus money (usually between £10 and £50) to the manufacturer (IW typically charge about £50)
Manufacturer sends you new plate
You fit new plate by using a pop rivet gun

gems122

New User
Visit site
Hello,

i have used this thread numerous times so thank you for all the information you have provided, i have just passed my B+E test so that i could tow a larger volume, so just needed to confirm that i am above board and legal as i am currently looking for a trailer and to see if i am limited in anyway......

1 -BE
2 - 1685
3 - 2350
4 - 1800 max towing weight
5 - 2000
5 - 850

to carry a 360kg pony and a 600kg horse

many thanks

Gemma

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Hello,

i have used this thread numerous times so thank you for all the information you have provided, i have just passed my B+E test so that i could tow a larger volume, so just needed to confirm that i am above board and legal as i am currently looking for a trailer and to see if i am limited in anyway......

1 -BE
2 - 1685
3 - 2350
4 - 1800 max towing weight
5 - 2000
5 - 850

to carry a 360kg pony and a 600kg horse

many thanks

Gemma
With that trailer at 2000 MAM and 850 empty you can load a max of 950 into the trailer as you are limited by the 1800 max tow limit

Not enough to load both

You are probably going to need a car with a tow limit of 2000+

gems122

New User
Visit site
thank you, is it bad for your vehicle if you have a max of 1800 and tow 1800 as i have only just bought it !

i am taking a guess at their weights at the moment so need to have them weighed, if i can only carry one at a time it means i dont have to limit my options and go for any trailer that i wanted .

thank you for your quick response

ROG

Visit site
thank you, is it bad for your vehicle if you have a max of 1800 and tow 1800 as i have only just bought it !

i am taking a guess at their weights at the moment so need to have them weighed, if i can only carry one at a time it means i dont have to limit my options and go for any trailer that i wanted .

thank you for your quick response
Vehicle tow limits are designed to be used at their max in normal towing situations

Rachellc

Visit site
Hi all

Thanks in advance for providing some guidance as to whether my vehicle will tow. I suspect it will NOT be legal to tow, but I am not clued up on towing, so I wanted to rule it out just in case. Also, I am not clear what some of the specifications in the log book relate to and I cannot find any information in the car itself.

Key points:
- Looking to tow 1 horse (16.2 hh)
- Vehicle is Seat Alhambra 2.0 diesel SE Lux 150 Dsg (admittedly we bought it to be a baby bus rather than towing vehicle!)
- As trailer would be hired, there are a couple of options: Option A = HB403, option B = HB506, option C = HB511 (likely A or B)

1. Licence B
2. 1843 kg (described in log book as 'weight in running order with driver'??)
3. 2540 kg (described in log book as MAW??)
4. I'm not clear what this is??

Various other items specified in log book, e.g. MAW front axle = 1280 kg, MAW rear axle = 1310 kg, max trailer weight without brakes = 750 kg, weight of trailer with brakes gradient 80% = 2400 kg, weight of trailer with brakes gradients up to 12% = 2,200 kg.

5. Option A = 1600 / option B = 2600 / option C = 2700 kg
6. Option A = 767 / option B = 920 / option C = 1000 kg

Gut feeling is this is inadequate to tow??! But any guidance appreciated, thank you!!

ROG

Visit site
Hi all

Thanks in advance for providing some guidance as to whether my vehicle will tow. I suspect it will NOT be legal to tow, but I am not clued up on towing, so I wanted to rule it out just in case. Also, I am not clear what some of the specifications in the log book relate to and I cannot find any information in the car itself.

Key points:
- Looking to tow 1 horse (16.2 hh)
- Vehicle is Seat Alhambra 2.0 diesel SE Lux 150 Dsg (admittedly we bought it to be a baby bus rather than towing vehicle!)
- As trailer would be hired, there are a couple of options: Option A = HB403, option B = HB506, option C = HB511 (likely A or B)

1. Licence B
2. 1843 kg (described in log book as 'weight in running order with driver'??)
3. 2540 kg (described in log book as MAW??)
4. I'm not clear what this is??

Various other items specified in log book, e.g. MAW front axle = 1280 kg, MAW rear axle = 1310 kg, max trailer weight without brakes = 750 kg, weight of trailer with brakes gradient 80% = 2400 kg, weight of trailer with brakes gradients up to 12% = 2,200 kg.

5. Option A = 1600 / option B = 2600 / option C = 2700 kg
6. Option A = 767 / option B = 920 / option C = 1000 kg

Gut feeling is this is inadequate to tow??! But any guidance appreciated, thank you!!

2540 GVW is going to mean B+E licence for towing a horse trailer

Hiring a trailer is also going to mean B+E in 95% of cases as the trailer cannot be down plated to fit with B towing laws

With a B+E licence the maximum actual weight which can be towed with that vehicle is 2400kg

Rachellc

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Thanks a lot for your very quick guidance. Can I just check I understand you correctly:

1. I would need to pass my B+E test, then
2. I could likely to be able to use any of the trailer options above, however could only tow 1 horse. Would not have the towing capacity to tow 2 horses (and anyway, I would only ever need to tow 1 horse).

I hope I understand you correctly?? Many thanks!!

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Thanks a lot for your very quick guidance. Can I just check I understand you correctly:

1. I would need to pass my B+E test, then
2. I could likely to be able to use any of the trailer options above, however could only tow 1 horse. Would not have the towing capacity to tow 2 horses (and anyway, I would only ever need to tow 1 horse).

I hope I understand you correctly?? Many thanks!!
1 = yes
2 = easily tow 2 horses with a 2400 towing capacity ..... trailer 1000 + horse 500 + horse 500 = 2000 with 400 spare

ROG

Visit site
Ive been offered a Requisite 200 c which is 600kg unladen
1600 gross, Would i still need to down plate it?
If so do you know who i need to approach? Robinsons or Cheval Liberte?
Yes it needs down plating to 1450 or less

Seems as thought it is made by Robinsons = By email To: Customer Services (cs@robinsonsequestrian.com) 0344 245 9273
I called the number and they have not dealt with trailers for years and cannot down plate as they do not have the records to do it
you need another trailer

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...10!-Bateson!-Robinsons-Requisite-200-URGENT!&

friesianfan69

Visit site
Yes it needs down plating to 1450 or less

Seems as thought it is made by Robinsons = By email To: Customer Services (cs@robinsonsequestrian.com) 0344 245 9273
I called the number and they have not dealt with trailers for years and cannot down plate as they do not have the records to do it
you need another trailer

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...10!-Bateson!-Robinsons-Requisite-200-URGENT!&

I spoke to Robinsons today as i knew they longer sold trailers, they gave me Cheval Liberte number as they are made same spec etc along side. Cheval said they can down plate for me

ROG

Visit site
I spoke to Robinsons today as i knew they longer sold trailers, they gave me Cheval Liberte number as they are made same spec etc along side. Cheval said they can down plate for me
Well that is good news and one bit of info I shall retain for the future - thank you

ROG

Visit site
Yes hes getting back to me today to let me know for definate, ill let you know.
Thankyou for your help
I must admit to never knowing anyone but the manufacturer being able to down plate but I suppose if another company have taken over the trailer section then it should be possible

ROG

Visit site
ROG would this set up be ok: Kia Sorento, ifor 505 and a Shetland pony on a straight B licence?

Need to know vehicle GVW

Trailer MAM original is 2340 and 905 empty so that is deffo going to need down plating by IW but to what I do not know until I get vehicle GVW

V5 keepers doc has GVW listed as max permissible mass or is the top of the 4 numbers on the weight plate which is usually hidden in door frame or under bonnet