Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Willow1306

Visit site
Me again!

Please can you advise if the following would be suitable for towing a lightweight trailer and 500kg thoroughbred on a B license as I still can't get my head around it:

Car spec:
Kerbweight: Min 1450
GVW: 2060
Braked towing limit: 1400

Thank you :)

ROG

Visit site
Me again!

Please can you advise if the following would be suitable for towing a lightweight trailer and 500kg thoroughbred on a B license as I still can't get my head around it:

Car spec:
Kerbweight: Min 1450
GVW: 2060
Braked towing limit: 1400

Thank you :)
YES - GVW 2060 means you can tow a trailer plated at 1400 (1400 also happens to be your max tow limit so pointless having a plated MAM higher)

Examples
IW HB401/3 Empty 787kg with 1600 MAM down plated to 1400 leaving max trailer load of 633kg
Bateson Derby 675kg empty with 1700 MAM dow plated to 1400 leaving max trailer load of 725kg

About £50 to down plate with IW
About £10 to down plate with Bateson

You contact trailer manufacturer
You remove original plate and send it to manufacturer with money
Manufacturer sends you new plate
You fit new plate

ROG

Visit site
Thanks! I've just double checked and the GVW is actually 1980, not 2060. Does that change the outcome?

Sorry!
Not really because although the trailer can be plated at 1500 with a 1960 GVW the max tow is only 1400 so if you plate at 1500 you can still only use the max trailer load figures I posted

ROG

Visit site
GVW 2170
Max tow limit 2000
Max plated MAM on a trailer with a B licence is 1330

With a 1330 MAM trailer -
IW HB401/3 which is 787 empty would be a max trailer load of 543
Bateson Derby which is 695 empty would be a max trailer load of 635

ROG

Visit site
Absolutely amazing write up. Very informative.

Some more details about the B+E driving test too... https://www.trainforgroup.com/about-the-b-plus-e-test
Not happy what they wrote =
You can only tow a trailer with a car or van as long as the TOTAL weight of both DOES NOT exceed 3,500kgs / 3.5 tonne.
that should read the TOTAL of the plated (MAM+GVW) weights or people will think it means the actual weight when loaded

ROG

Visit site
Ok Thankyou for your help.
And I’d be totally legal?
What if you are pulled over and weighed? Or does it not work like that?
Car GVW 2170 + trailer 1330 or 1300 means the total of the plated weights are not over 3500 so legal to tow on a B licence

If you think that either the vehicle or the trailer might be over their respective plated weight limits then you are legally allowed to go to your nearest public weighbridge and have them weighed
If found to be overloaded then you are legally allowed to back to where you loaded them and reduce the excess weight
Unlikely that you will overload either if you know you max load limits and you know the weight of what you are loading

friesianfan69

Visit site
Car GVW 2170 + trailer 1330 or 1300 means the total of the plated weights are not over 3500 so legal to tow on a B licence

If you think that either the vehicle or the trailer might be over their respective plated weight limits then you are legally allowed to go to your nearest public weighbridge and have them weighed
If found to be overloaded then you are legally allowed to back to where you loaded them and reduce the excess weight
Unlikely that you will overload either if you know you max load limits and you know the weight of what you are loading
I see that’s great then, I think we have a local weigh bridge so might go at some point. I think I’m well under though . Thankyou do much for your advice.

ROG

Visit site
I see that’s great then, I think we have a local weigh bridge so might go at some point. I think I’m well under though . Thankyou do much for your advice.
If you do go to a standard weighbridge - the type with the large metal plate that an artic can fit on - then get 3 weights by doing this = no need to unhitch
Drive vehicle onto the plate leaving trailer wheels just before the plate - note weight 1 = vehicle
Now drive forward putting both vehicle and trailer onto plate - note weight 2 = total of both
Now drive forward so rear wheels of vehicle are just off the plate - note weight 3 = trailer
You will find that 1 + 3 will equal 2

friesianfan69

Visit site
If you do go to a standard weighbridge - the type with the large metal plate that an artic can fit on - then get 3 weights by doing this = no need to unhitch
Drive vehicle onto the plate leaving trailer wheels just before the plate - note weight 1 = vehicle
Now drive forward putting both vehicle and trailer onto plate - note weight 2 = total of both
Now drive forward so rear wheels of vehicle are just off the plate - note weight 3 = trailer
You will find that 1 + 3 will equal 2
Ok I will Thankyou, do I have pony to?

zoon

Visit site
Hi ROG

currently have B licence, was planning on B+E but lockdown has put a hold on that, so wondering whether I can tow on my current licence?

I have a 2016 Kia Sportage KX4. This ifo if from a quick google, so I hope correct. Will have to double check plate in car.
Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle - 1600
GVW of the towing vehicle - 2140kg
GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle - 2200
Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres - 1600
Unladen/empty weight of the trailer - 767 (ifor Williams 403) or 750 (cheval liberte touring one)

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG

currently have B licence, was planning on B+E but lockdown has put a hold on that, so wondering whether I can tow on my current licence?

I have a 2016 Kia Sportage KX4. This ifo if from a quick google, so I hope correct. Will have to double check plate in car.
Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle - 1600
GVW of the towing vehicle - 2140kg
GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle - 2200
Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres - 1600
Unladen/empty weight of the trailer - 767 (ifor Williams 403) or 750 (cheval liberte touring one)
2140 GVW leaves you 1360 for a trailer MAM
You need to down plate trailer via a call to the manufacturer
Down plating the trailer to 1300 would leave a max trailer load of 533 for a 403 or 650 for cheval

What weight do you need to load into the trailer?