Welfare issues with polo?

cptrayes

Visit site
I saw a picture in the paper yesterday of Prince Harry on a polo pony and it really disturbed me.

The pony had on the following tack:

- side reins, quite short
- cavesson noseband with short standing martingale attached
- drop noseband closing the mouth on a Cheltenham gag bit.

It looked like a turkey trussed up for Christmas :(

If polo requires this level of tack to play , is it right? Is there a reason why it can't be played without strapping the horse down to within an inch of its life?

Nicky44

Visit site
I went to a polo match once and saw the ponies tied up, they looked so sad. They rent out a team of polo ponies now, saves people buying them and there ridden by all sorts without any care for the horse :-( very sad.

miss_c

Visit site
I saw a picture in the paper yesterday of Prince Harry on a polo pony and it really disturbed me.

The pony had on the following tack:

- side reins, quite short
- cavesson noseband with short standing martingale attached
- drop noseband closing the mouth on a Cheltenham gag bit.

It looked like a turkey trussed up for Christmas :(

If polo requires this level of tack to play , is it right? Is there a reason why it can't be played without strapping the horse down to within an inch of its life?

You sure it was side reins? I used to play and have never seen a pony in side reins, but draw reins through the gag along with reins attached to the gag are common.

Re the martingale - I was always taught it was to prevent the pony's head going too high and interfering with the shot/rider.

My old polo mare would get incredibly excited at a match - before chukkas started she would be bouncing on the spot and squeaking. I rode her in a Pelham instead of a gag and the only time I would touch her mouth was to stop, and that was in conjunction with shifting my weight back. Turning was done off of my weight and neck reining.

These ponies are extremely fit and extremely responsive. It is a fast game and they need to be able to stop and turn on a sixpence when required. You quite simply wouldn't be able to stop some of the ponies I played in less tack when playing chukkas, but I would exercise my mare in a snaffle on a loose rein. Pony welfare is taken extremely seriously and clubs will have a welfare officer. Yes there will be incidents as there are in any equine sport, but at the top levels especially those ponies are worth a FORTUNE and are incredibly well looked after.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
You sure it was side reins? I used to play and have never seen a pony in side reins, but draw reins through the gag along with reins attached to the gag are common.

Re the martingale - I was always taught it was to prevent the pony's head going too high and interfering with the shot/rider.

My old polo mare would get incredibly excited at a match - before chukkas started she would be bouncing on the spot and squeaking. I rode her in a Pelham instead of a gag and the only time I would touch her mouth was to stop, and that was in conjunction with shifting my weight back. Turning was done off of my weight and neck reining.

These ponies are extremely fit and extremely responsive. It is a fast game and they need to be able to stop and turn on a sixpence when required. You quite simply wouldn't be able to stop some of the ponies I played in less tack when playing chukkas, but I would exercise my mare in a snaffle on a loose rein. Pony welfare is taken extremely seriously and clubs will have a welfare officer. Yes there will be incidents as there are in any equine sport, but at the top levels especially those ponies are worth a FORTUNE and are incredibly well looked after.

Well said. It should also be remembered that polo provides a future for many failed racehorses.

amandap

Visit site
Not 100% sure if my memory is correct re it being Harry but did you miss the photos of the bleeding spur marks a couple of years ago?
I think there are welfare questions to be answered but there are good yards and riders as well.

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
yes i am also ware that the martingale is used to prevebnt the horse heads coming too high resulting in potential injuries to the horse as well as interfering with the horse. ponies are looked after very well and not just because of their value the stronger bits actually allow a lighter contact and aids to be light as opposed to constantly pulling..besides riders mostly ride with adjustments of the seat and neck reining as previously stated

Moomin1

Visit site
All you need to do is take one look at a single photo of a polo pony during play..doesn't make comfortable viewing IMO.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I don't know enough about it to really have an opinion, but regarding the comments of them needing to make sudden turns and stops, it made me think of gymkhana games, which require the same (and are often kids on fizzy ponies) yet they have to be in snaffles..

Visit site
I feel sorry for the Polo ponies opposite the yard. There are about 20 of them in a 3acre bald field with 2 bales of mouldy hayledge and ripped rugs on 24/7 and are only ever dealt with when they are brought in for work. They always look so depressed.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
All you need to do is take one look at a single photo of a polo pony during play..doesn't make comfortable viewing IMO.

Let's tie them all up on the side of the motorway then. Just what do some of you think horses should do ?, judging by some threads and comments it seems a horse should be covered in bling, pampered like lap dogs and never do a honest days work in it's life.

Ban racing, ban polo, ban hunting etc. There goes the equine industry and the country will have an excess of dog food.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I feel sorry for the Polo ponies opposite the yard. There are about 20 of them in a 3acre bald field with 2 bales of mouldy hayledge and ripped rugs on 24/7 and are only ever dealt with when they are brought in for work. They always look so depressed.

I worked on a pro event yard many years ago and the owner had polo ponies too. They were very well, very happy and much loved, both by the groom and the owner.

cptrayes

Visit site
Let's tie them all up on the side of the motorway then. Just what do some of you think horses should do ?, judging by some threads and comments it seems a horse should be covered in bling, pampered like lap dogs and never do a honest days work in it's life.

Ban racing, ban polo, ban hunting etc. There goes the equine industry and the country will have an excess of dog food.

Errrrr...... pay polo without the bondage gear? Ride with skill instead of straps?

Last edited:
Visit site
I worked on a pro event yard many years ago and the owner had polo ponies too. They were very well, very happy and much loved, both by the groom and the owner.

Oh I have no doubt that they are being looked after and that most other yards look after their ponies very well, I just see these ponies every day and feel sorry for them 'tis all.

Moomin1

Visit site

'Doing and honest days work' does not have to involve poor welfare standards.

cptrayes

Visit site
I'd be interested to see that photo. I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just something I've never seen and I don't see how the pony could stretch to gallop if fixed with side reins.

Express online have cropped the pic to eliminate the horse, but to be honest I don't see that draw reins are a lot better from the welfare point of view, it's all to enable the horse to be hauled around by its mouth without any escape.

Last edited:

nikkimariet

Visit site
Absolutely definitely fixed length, and short, dark leather side reins.

This wasn't the picture but it's similar

prince_harry_polo_match.jpg

Not got my glasses to hand but PH is holding 2 reins. One is the rein from the polo gag. The other is the running rein attached under saddle flaps. Doesn't look fixed length to me?

Not same horse (or potentially same match, not looked into it that much), but here:

1C7391280-130515-prince-harry-430p.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

Is exactly the same set up albeit with a pelham. Reins are not fixed length!

Last edited:

miss_c

Visit site
6310227.jpg

Well that appears to be the pony in the cropped picture, wearing draw reins from the saddle, through the bit to his hands - the Rundle Cup (Armed Forces match) on I think it was Saturday.

Doormouse

Visit site
I have worked in polo and I can promise you that most (probably not all as is the case in all spheres) love the game.

When they stand in the pony lines they are not depressed, they are being sensible and relaxing after their chukka. As a general rule polo ponies are very sensible, they have a job of work to do when they play for 7 mins during a chukka which is fast and furious, when they come off the pitch they immediately relax and often fall asleep in the lines.

I have ridden and played older ponies who are so good at their job they will put you in the right place to hit the ball and if they think you are about to miss will kick it for you.

Nearly all the ex racehorses that I have been involved with when retraining as polo ponies are settled, happy and generally ridden about in a head collar!

Their tack varies, the standing martingale is to prevent them throwing up their head when a player is taking a shot. Please tell me what is wrong with standing martingales? Old fashioned maybe but very useful in their place IMO. Bits are either gags or Pelhams, whichever suits the horse best, both bits that are regularly used in other spheres with no ill effect or indeed judgemental comments. A drop noseband keeps the mouth from opening, just the same as a flash or a grackle, noseband that pretty much every horse seems to wear these days regardless of need. Obviously a standing martingale cannot be attached to a drop noseband so a cavasson is worn as well.

As in every sphere there are bad yards and bad players but before you judge I strongly suggest that you go and work in a polo yard, ride the ponies, groom for a few matches and even try a game yourself. If you are still of the same opinion then at least you will be speaking with a little knowledge.

cptrayes

Visit site
That's also draw reins from saddle to bit to hand...

Yes I know, but the Express have cropped the picture that was in the paper.

As I said, I don't see draw reins as any better anyway.

Why can't they play without these straps, just pay a slower game? As long as both sides are the same, what would the problem be? As someone has pointed out, the mounted games ponies do as much gymnastics.

Doormouse

Visit site
6310227.jpg

Well that appears to be the pony in the cropped picture, wearing draw reins from the saddle, through the bit to his hands - the Rundle Cup (Armed Forces match) on I think it was Saturday.

These are running reins, often used on ponies who leap if over contained. They are not as harsh as draw reins and aid the player in keeping the horse calmer as they take a shot.

cptrayes

Visit site
6310227.jpg

The pony in the paper was white.

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
and may I add to Doormouse's excellent post, that many ponies, after retirement go to homes where they are used as safe all rounders and hacks. There is a a rehoming polo pony group which is very interesting to read about on facebook.

cptrayes

Visit site
The polo supporters on this thread have found some lovely pictures of happy horses. Can we please have a comment on the myriad pictures that are available showing polo ponies being hauled around by their mouths, made possible by so many straps they look like they are in a bondage movie?

Moomin1

Visit site
What is interesting is that where a pic of a polo pony wearing all the tack is shown, ears touching the clouds, mouth wide open, teeth on show, looking generally very uncomfortable, it seems acceptable. If someone put a thread up on this forum showing the very same image, but in the context of them just schooling at home, then there would be a major uproar....