welsh d temperaments - your opinions please

DJ

Visit site
I have a welsh D cross ... wouldn`t change him for the world.

He is "special" ... in a pat on the head kind of way :p and he has challenged everything i ever thought i knew about horses ... and then some lol ... But the bond we have is one in a million and i wouldn`t change it for the world .... even if he can be reet royal buggar at times :D

missyme10

Visit site
I've a 2 year old section D filly.
I got her at 9 months old and come the spring with her I thought OMG what have I bought. She was a horror, charging me down in the field, double barrelling me, booted me in the face almost knocking me out, and was just generally a complete cow.

Now at 2, she's truely wonderful, through the bad times I stood up to her and no matter what she threw at me I showed no fear and I now not only have her respect, but the bond between us is very strong.

I absolutely adore her, wouldn't swap her for any horse and she is my horse of a life time :)
She is also a good looking filly and she floats in trot, has an amazing canter.
Section D to me is by far the best breed around, but not for the faint hearted x

Brandy

Visit site
If I were you I would start looking at both breeds (although i wouldn;t I woudlhave a welsh....) but you know what I mean - there are good and bad in both.

I have most experience with welsh, have had a mare with Parc lines, stunning, chunky, flashy, anyone could ride her if they could cope withthe trot, snaffle mouth 100%

Another mare, had as a youngster, also good as gold, easy to back and ride away, another one that was anyones ride.

Another mare........gorgeous, flighty, bit nervous but easy enough for a reasonably confident rider.

Current gelding - inbred to a ridiculous level, badly started in life, and can be difficult to ride when upset, but on the other hand can be a complete donkey when chilled. Could EASILY go bad in the wrong hands.

Re connies - overpriced and have known several that were not right in the head - and I don;t mean in the same way as welsh. Welsh can be bargy and bolshy but these connies were agressive - one didn't like clipping and took his owners front teeth out with a hoof strike. Any of the welshs I have known would have pulled back and legged it.

pottamus

Visit site
I love my lad to bits but he is a lot of hard work at times. He is the most trying horse I have ever had but once I understood him and found the right way to deal with him we have had an easier life all round. He is a bolshy firey type that can be a plod one minute and then turn into a fire breathing dragon at nothing very much, the next! I have learn't the hard way but he is the most loyal and tuned in to you horse I will ever have too.
Would not swop him for anything...so much character and personality.

welshcobmad

Visit site
I love mine to bits & love my D's but my god they can be hard work! He's stroppy, opinionated, has an attitude & stubborn but same time will hack alone, affectionate, loves his jumping & has bags of character - everything I want.

Typical him - show on the Sunday just gone, put him in the 2ft as a warm up for the 2ft 3 - he refused point blank to jump after the first fence even a simple pole!!!! Could have shot him!!!!! lol Just because HE couldn't be bothered!!!!! Yet he's jumping over 3ft over scary fillers at home, even the previous day.

But that's D's!

Ladybird

Visit site
I have a Section D and he is my horse of a lifetime.

After having a massive confidence knock by my old TB mare he's rebuilt it 100x over, and I've gone from being a wuss about jumping (all my life!) to happily jumping a 90cm spread.

I got him as a 6yo that had only been cut 6months previously, v. green to riding as had been mainly driven and he's never put a foot wrong, even after time off over xmas with the snow.
He's never sick or sorry, always fit and ready to go, and can go all day if you ask him to!
He has his 'stereotypical D' days, gets a bit pig headed but had NEVER done anything to worry/unnerve me, and these are few and far between.

From my experience I couldn't recommend them enough, his only downfall is that he sweats like a beast!!

fatpiggy

Visit site
My girl is a part bred (unknown breeding but possibly arab or anglo) D and maybe being a chestnut mare doesn't help :) but she is too intelligent for her own good, sharp, wouldn't stop going full pelt until you got off, phenomenal memory, at least for places we ever had a gallop across, stubborn, opinionated, bossy, predictably unpredictable, speed-obsessed, exasperating and definitely not for the faint-hearted, but the gentlest to handle, fantastic with small children, not at all mareish and never ever bucked or reared under saddle (couldn't say the same for lunging though). I never wanted a boring horse and boy I most definitely didn't get one. You have to be several steps ahead of them or they will get the upper hand and it doesn't pay to get in a fight with one because you ain't going to win. Mine ALWAYS has the last word which usually means nipping my bum as I turn away after giving her a verbal dressing down. I wouldn't swap her for the world.

tabithakat64

Visit site
I have one unregistered Welsh D and one Welsh D x TB who I love to pieces.
However both can be bolshy, opinionated and challenging but are also talented and very rewarding.
Welsh D's are like marmite you either love them or hate them.
Each and every Welsh D I've known have been similar to my too regardless of the breeding.

Angelz

Visit site
My D's brill!

Green but not spooky, hes curious and brave.
Lets you know when hes not happy but not nasty.
Lovely looking and movement, love watching his cobby trot when free lunging
14'2 but strong enough to carry me.
Snaffle and great brakes (very sensitive mouth)
Really fast fun trot.

Once they trust and bond with you they are amazing :)

fleabitten

Visit site
Got to say, if you want a quiet life,I wouldn't go there! I had a chestnut welsh d mare on loan with a view to buy and she was never the same two days running and was a terrible kicker. i didn't ever get anything back from her in terms of affection either, though maybe I didn't have her long enough to form a bond. She was certainly full of attitude and I was not sorry to see her go back to her owner.
i went on to find my lovely arab gelding, who is just a poppet. Ties up outside the pub for hours on end, perfect to handle- a complete gentleman. If you have had an arab before, it might be worth looking again- there are some lovely geldings going on Arabian lines and for very little money, whereas welshies tend to be somewhat pricier.

Piglet

Visit site
Personally I don't think that welsh D is a novice horse, they can be very sharp with a warped sense if humour, also they can be very strong. If you want an example of their temprement, take a look at any M&M class at a show, especially at county level and you will see why they are not always nice quiet hacks. Don't get me wrong, get a good one and they are stunning looking horses and fantastic movers I think they are great.

dogcalleddill

Visit site
I've just become the very very proud owner of a Welsh D mare. I was actually looking for a connie gelding ;-). I've been researching her breeding and in the early 1900s it seems there was an alarming amount of inbreeding :eek:. But all her bits are in the right place and she only has one head ;)

Only had her a couple of weeks but my impression so far is that she's very sweet, friendly, well-mannered and is a very quick learner. She's also very impatient and a total fidget but to be fair she is only a baby. Oh, and she's absolutely stunning :)

Pat10

Visit site
I haven't read all the posts, so I apologise if I'm repeating anything.

Years ago, when I was considering buying a D, a dealer who bought them un-handled, said they were great, providing you gave them a thrashing to begin with. Now I don't hold with this horrifying statement but.......you certainly have to lay down the ground rules in no uncertain terms!!!

I did buy my D - a totally unruly 3 yo who had succeded in terrifting her owners. I spent the first week literally with a stick in one hand, and carrots in the other (talk about carrot/stick!). She became the most fantastic horse I ever owned - but would always test out someone new.

So - great horses, but not for the faint-hearted.

Hollyberry

Visit site
I have one of each, both are 15.1, the Welsh D is a pleasure to do anything with, he is kind, good tempered, safe to hack out and very affectionate, a joy to take to shows and very handsome to boot. The connie is very cheeky, adorable but naughty but again safe and sensible to hack and do anything with. Neither of them have any real quirks and I couldn't choose between them, they are both fabulous. I have always been a connie fan and have had three and was put off buying a Welsh D because of all the stories of them being fiery but I am so happy I ignored all of it and just judged him as he was. I think a lot of Welsh's get a bad start and are not taught manners and schooled properly at an early age. Mine was brought on by a girl who put a lot of time and patience into making sure he was a joy to have around and she did everything with him, quite successfully too. he is not the fastest thing on four legs but fast enough for me!

JenniferS

Visit site
Rhea is extremely, extremely stubborn but so unbelievably brave too. She's also very intelligent, and must have her own way (not happening!) so you've got to be firm with her or else she'll walk right over you. Trying to catch her in the field is a pain, you need to plan what you're going to do to get her in, but keep alternating or else she knows what you're going to do and hatches an escape route!

Syrah

Visit site
I'm feeling quite lucky with my Welsh D.

She's a 15.2 registered Sec D, Burnmoor lines, 7 years old. She has great stable manners, does need a stern word every now and then but would never harm me, always aware of where I am and my space. Needs the occasional reminder of manners when putting her tea in to wait.

She has tried it on being led, but again, a strong word, dually headcollar and she's fine. A flick with the lead rope if she decides to plant does the trick.

She takes care of her rider, goes back a level when I'm riding and I'm nervous until I've settled then she's forward going, responsive, brave.

She hacks alone, isn't spooky but does yell her head off to the other horses on the yard when on her way back. I don't hack her out at the moment, but a girl who is horseless at the moment does.

There is a little bit of a bank going into our school. One day my foot slipped and landed where she was about to put her hoof, she felt my foot and moved her hoof instantly.

She does have her moments, mainly when she's in season but that's a mare thing rather than a Welsh D thing. She's very green with ground work, but we have a great instructor helping with that.

She has fabulous paces, very comfortable to ride and although I'm suffering from confidence issues at the moment (not from anything she's done), she's my horse of a lifetime.

Depp_by_Chocolate

www.northeastequine.co.uk
My D mare who has just turned 4 is one of the sweetest and laid back of horses I've come across, she is not like your typical Welsh D though. Yes she can be a bit spooky but even then she doesn't do much, she's not sharp, excitable, doesn't hot up or pull but is very intelligent and gets things straight away. She's very people orientated and loves to please.

superpony

Visit site
My guy is mostly welsh d.

He can be very rude, bargy and independent. But he is the most sweet and lovely guy when he wants to be. Despite acting independent and often having the not bothered attitude, when he was very poorly I had to sit with him in his stable as he just wanted to stay next to me and would whinny for me constantly if I left him!

He is very honest, will do anything for me and always gives that extra 10% when out competing. Hes currently doing Novice level dressage.

Personally I love their cheeky temperments and how intelligent they are. If you get a good one they are stars! :)

jadelovescassie

Visit site
This is my Welsh Sec D, she's 14.2hh. She is about every character mixed into one pony! Some days she can be calm and loving and sweet, other days she can be fast on her feet and a little bossy, and other days she can just be a plain stroppy mare. I think Welshies are amazing personally, they're good all rounders who are strong and can jump well, but they can also be very gentle.... and I think Cassie is the best thing since sliced bread... but then I am biased :p You can see both her excited and loving side here... :D

29.jpg

8.jpg

zara-jayne1976

New User
Visit site
I got my welsh section D Chestnut roan mare at 7mths, she is now 10 and by far the easiest horse I have ever had. A real leg at each corner type, 15hh. Did all the ground work, first time i ever sat on her she just turned her head to see what or who was on her back, asked her to walk on and that was as exciting as it got.

Brilliant in all traffic, on forest box shoe, jumps 3ft for fun great xc, not so bothered with schooling, a love with the other horses. Not at all hot headed, always been very sensible. maybe a little lazy if she can get away with it.

HappyHorses:)

Visit site
They are what you make them. (Just hope some plum hasn't ruined them before you get there)

Yes they can be sharp and try it on but this is more to do with intelligence than anything. I find as a breed most are super smart. If you treat them firmly but with respect you get so much out of them.

If anyone tried to 'beat' my D them the heels would get well and truley dug in. If im in a bad mood and a bit sharp I find he starts to ignore me or will manage to place his hoof on my toe and put his whole weight on it. Trust me he knows he does it but its as if he's saying 'oi, chill ya beans mum and don't take your bad day out on me' ;)

If your a chilled person who loves a bit of fun and cheek then go for a D.

I would also consider a New Forest. They are great ponies and tend to be a bit more forgiving.

kelly_s1

Visit site
I had a welshie when I was 10, had him 5 years and he was the best pony in the world, could do everything with him apart from load as he was a rescue pony that had some issues, i done dressage, jumping, gymkhana, cross country and hacking

I then bought my own last year and would never go back, he is so cheeky, likes his cuddles, very pretty, he has had to learn some manners mind you but we are getting there, he has a nice jump, hacks, loads, can clip.

They are lovely horses but you either love or dislike them.

Here's my boy
IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_2006-1.jpg

Cheiro1

Visit site
My D is my soul mate.

She is quirky, can be fizzy, bouncy, stubborn, strong and very sharp. But she has a lovely movement, a heart of gold, scope to burn, and is my best friend.
She is VERy intelligent.
On the ground she is the nicest most well mannered horse you can meet, the vet can do anything with her un sedated, you can clip her with the rope just laid over her neck. She is not a novice ride, and she wouldnt tolerate someone bouncing around on her back, but the bond I have with her is just amazing. I am a nervous jumper and she will take me round ANY SJing track, jump everything I point her at, and never even think of saying no.

I wouldnt think twice about having another one, but I wouldnt recommend one to someone who didnt want something with a lot of character. they are smart and have a sense of humour!

jodie3

Visit site
I had a Trevallion stallion who was quite simply the easiest horse I have ever owned! He had the kindest nature, jumped like a stag, did a cracking dressage test and was a brilliant hack. He was very affectionate and had a great character too. I did lots of shows with him and people were always amazed at how well behaved he was around other horses, I used to have to remind them that he was a stallion! Because of him I have always thought that one day I would have another D but after reading all the replies it seems he wasn't typical D at all.
My daughter had a Babylon mare on loan who was a complete witch, evil in the stable and field and her idea of fun on a hack was to try and throw herself under lorrys. Needless to say she went back very quickly.

Maggie2009

Visit site
We have Section D 14.1 mare,now aged 16 who we bought at the age of 8 for my then 10 year old daughter.She is very pretty,has a wonderful temprement and the glossiest coat .However,she can be sensitive and sharp,and needs a quiet,sympathetic rider in the arena,but out hacking is as good as gold,great in traffic and goes past hazards without batting an eyelid.She is always on her best behaviour at shows,and can be relied on to put on her best .She can be strong on the ground,in a headcollar and is known to have a technique of pulling away in a straight line and heading for the grass,or any other food lying around.I would not recommend a D for a novice or first time owner unless they were equal to the task of managing them.They do make wonderful allrounders though,and should not be overlooked for any discipline.

eahotson

Visit site
They are individuals like any other breed.There is a lot of Andalucian blood in them.There is an excellent but expensive book about their history by I think, Wynn Davies.I have a Welsh chestnut gelding that I bought to get my confidence back after a sharp and spooky Highland.He was about 10years when I bought him.He has Derwen, Synod and Nebo blood in him.I am a nervous wimp and he is an absolute saint.Sire Synod Remington dam Synod Red Poppy.He was not a cheap buy but has been worth every penny to me.

cadefan

Visit site
I have had 3 Ds under saddle so far: mare by Derwen Railway Express - quick learner, easy to back, straightforward but would have unnerved a total novice as so forward going. Gelding, Derwen lines, very similar to above. Stallion - Kentchurch/Llanarth lines - my dream horse, SO utterly amenable and wanting to please, cuddly, forward going, super jumper, and about to move up to medium BD.
My mother has a connemara gelding - he is stubborn, very nappy to jump, and has very average paces - and he was not cheap by any stretch of the imagination!! However, there are a lot of nice connies out there, but they are usually more expensive than an equivalent D.

Visit site
I love my welshie to bits but he is quite the handful....I brought him as a young 4 yr old (he was very immature both mentally and physically) and he drove me crazy during the breaking process but I wouldn't dream of selling him (although ask me tomorrow and I may change my mind - it's a love hate relationship!!)

In all seriousness if you are looking for challenge then a welshie is the way forward....intelligent, good to jump, nice lateral movements and intelligent ....loving and nice to look at too!

Any tips on how anyone has curbed the bolshiness would be much appreciated!!!

Connie's are reliable and will tick alot of boxes but I find them a little too text book but then again it wasnt too long ago that I was told my horse would be better off as a burger!:eek: