welsh d temperaments - your opinions please

SophieLouBee

Visit site
Welsh d's have an opinion on everything and you'll know about it. I had one that went against all the supposed 'breed characteristics' and was so dopey it was unreal, he was my first horse as an unhandeled 2.5yo, at three and a bit he was broken and hacking out on his own with a 14yo me...
All the others I've dealt with have either been hot as hell or stubborn as hell.
Connies I haven't had a lot to do with, but the ones I know are very placid and well mannered, but I think they look really plain. Both the newfies I broke in were stubborn but safe and I currently ride two highlands that are brilliant, one is typical dope on a rope, the other is a bit more heeby jeeby but still safe enough.

risky business

Visit site
Iv got a welsh D and although she knows how to push all the wrong buttons I still love the daft mare!

She's very sweet natured and wouldn't harm a fly, she's a sweetie on the ground and is very well mannered.

But like somone else said you have to be very strict! Let it slip once and they can keep pushing at it!

To ride I find there exellent, can turn there good to any thing and they have an all mighty jump! My welshie is very brave, willing and intelligent. She will do anything for you but will question your authority before she agrees to anything! Wicked jump on her.

Sometimes I have to be her confidence and teacher and other times it's other way round. There very rewarding but hard work!

Suechoccy

Visit site
I only know one WelshD ... gelding, same owner since 4yrs (now about 18yrs), she broke him in. He's always been a handful but a very rewarding handful. He's so quick to think, and has a low boredom threshold. Here's some things he does:

1. Tied up on a long leadrope outside a stable, the humans ignoring him so he slid open the stable door bolt, walked himself inside, pulled the door shut and slid the bolt shut then stood looking at us with pricked ears. We were killingourselves laughing but decided to ignore him to see what he'd do next ... he slid the bolt back, opened the door and reparked himself outside in his original position.

2. His owner had a winter of hunting on him ... 2-3 hours with the hunt, often followed by an hour trying to load him as he'd decide not to load to go home (he loaded keenly enough to come out each time).

3. Nipping my gelding when alongside, winding him up and racing him whenever we galloped, often with some bucks thrown in. Boys will be boys, sod the humans, let's have some fun is his mantra.

4. Undoing and removing rugs from other horses and putting them into the water trough.

Shall I continue?!

He has a big heart and a HUGE character. Luckily his owner is both laidback and firm with him, and a good rider so she stays on when he decides to have some fun.

TheBayMonkey

Visit site
I've had a pure D from Pennal lines, very laid back but would give a bit of oomph when asked. Very easy to live with, ride and train. My current boy has only a quarter welsh D in him from Nebo and Derwen lines but in-between the days he throws complete fits of lunacy he does have his 'cob' days where he can be a total angel and learns very quickly. I also thing he picks up his intelligence from the cob lines :)

mszig

Visit site
1. Tied up on a long leadrope outside a stable, the humans ignoring him so he slid open the stable door bolt, walked himself inside, pulled the door shut and slid the bolt shut then stood looking at us with pricked ears. We were killingourselves laughing but decided to ignore him to see what he'd do next ... he slid the bolt back, opened the door and reparked himself outside in his original position.

Hahaha sounds right :D When I've been inside stable mucking out, S was tied up outside, untied herself (she does this alot! never wonders off, I think she just objects to the implication she might :rolleyes:) she opened the door came in peed and then went back out to stand where she had been.

BlizzardBudd

Visit site
I absolutely love welshies! I used to ride one enforce buddy. She was a 20yr old mare (in my sig) and she was very full of character. What I couldn't believe at how young he looked abd behaved. She deffinantly had a lot of character and hated to be separated from her best friend! She could have her moments, but I just loved her for it!!
I am now loaning the most handsome welshie I have seen, he is palomino and lovely and laid back. He doesn't like getting his feet wet and shivers of he doesn't have enough rugs on. But he is 17yr old and still going strong :)

Also the mare had daylight turnout in winter unrugged and she was fine :p she did hold her weight (that's why I started to ride her) though :D typical pony!!

Polotash

Visit site
I know of two people who have had lovely welsh D's - very calm and sensible. All the others I have known however, including two part breds of my own, were very sharp and opinionated!

I do know of someone who breeds welshy's in Brecon though, and all bar a couple are very easy going (including his lovely stallion who hacks out in a group with guests on). His name is Paul and website is Transwalestrails. He has a god range of sizes and ages, and all the geldings are used for riding holidays (no beginners) so are traffic proof and don't get silly in company or open spaces.

Annagain

Visit site
Haven't read all the replies so I'm probably repeating. I've known quite a few in my time.
Every single one has been bolshy, stubborn and very exciteable. They've also been some of the most talented, honest and loyal horses I've come across. I owned one for 14 years and I've never had such a strong bond with any other horse. I had total faith in him to get me to the other side of a fence safely, no matter how big. He could do lovely flatwork, but never wanted to! He was supremely confident bordering on arrogant but used it in the best possible way to give 100% and to be pretty unflappable in all conditions. He'd get very excited at the thought of jumping or going fast and spent lot of time on his back legs but it always felt like he had it under control and it never bothered me, there was no malice in him, he just had to get rid of his excess energy.

He would do anythign for me but would barely move for my friend who was a much better rider than me - she hated his lack of manners on the ground and he knew it and made her pay when she rode him. Another very nervous friend adored him and spent hours with him in the field and stable. When she finally plucked up the courage to ride him, he was a total gent the whole time and really looked after her. That really summed him up. He died very unexpectedly of colic aged 27. It was horrible at the time but when I look back at it it was the best way for him to go and I never had a decision to make - he was looking after me to the very end.

cob&onion

Visit site
Well my welsh D yearling is 19 months now, full of attitude and has a wild streak!! to make it more challenging he is still entire (only has the 1 that has dropped so still waiting :rolleyes:) when the girls in the next field are in season he is a nightmare!! however when there now and he's calm he has a lovely little personality :) REAL CHARACTER!

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
I have a 2 year old Cwmesgair welsh section D, mare. I bought her for her temprement (never mind her beauty). She is gentle, a quick learner, and has manners to die for. She moves beautifully in the show ring. As with any breed be it horses or dogs for that matter, you will always get mad ones and you will always get kind and gentle ones - IMHO if they have had a good start in life with no problems they should stay that way. Its only humans that change the way they behave and not always for the best. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Visit site
I don't think I've ever met a Welsh D without character! I've ridden quite a few and they have all been quirky, sharp at times and all have had amazing movement. They all have fantastic temperaments too and make great all rounders as they will literally have a go at anything!

As others have said though, they don't suit everyone so if you want something quieter, I would definitely go for a Connie. Would you consider any other breeds?

Piglet

Visit site
I have a part bred welsh D/Luso, very sharp and quirky, I don't know which side of his breeding his temperament comes from but most Welsh ponies I know are sharp. Connemars are lovely but they have been too messed around and most are now been bred as Sport Ponies and seemed to have lost their original "typeness". I may be old fashioned but they are now bred lighter.

cundlegreen

Visit site
My Welsh D stallion obviously beats the trend. I've had him since a foal, and he's always been very laid back. If he wasn't quite sure of something as in his younger days, he would just keep his head down and be very quiet. You can put anybody on him and he will look after them. The better they ride or drive, the better he will go. I would trust him with anybody. I think people forget the a lot of the "D"s are very line bred, and this would be why so many show unpleasant traits.
Some pics of him with a seven year old who was very unsafe in the saddle. He looked after her very carefully,

horsesmisc038.jpg

misc067.jpg

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have a welsh section d crossed Clydesdale he's buzzy when he's in a d moment and placid when he's got his Clydesdale head on he's a lovely boy who does lots of jobs .

Silmarillion

Visit site
My Welsh D was insane. Sold her and got an ID x Connemara (though I didn't know her breeding at the time) who really was the best thing since sliced bread. I prefer the Irish horses to the Welsh and wouldn't touch a Welsh D again. I think they just don't suit me.

MeganLindsx

Visit site
My instructor had Tirclyn Sportsman (who won Novice National Champs) and he was lovely to ride and to handle but could get very tense and wasn't the easiest the ride. He doesn't have an ounce of malice in him though!!

barbann

Visit site
I've had 2 Arabs (one mare, one gelding) and 18 months ago bought a 5 year old Section D mare as I've always loved them. I wanted another horse before I'm too old and couldn't find a nice enough Arab. She is Derwen breeding, everyone thinks she is very pretty, my instructor rates her highly and she loves being groomed and made a fuss of. Even my absolutely non-horsey husband can handle her (he's had to recently as I broke my ankle). She is clever and quick but not spooky, well mannered, has never bolted, has put in the occasional buck when learning to canter but never worried me ( I am NOT brave). The person I bought her from had obviously done a very good job of starting her off. I think they have to know where the boundaries are and who is boss without having to resort to any form of bullying. She has got a couple of little quirks like hating water splashing on her back feet when she is being bathed but nothing I can't live with. I think she is wonderful and wouldn't change her for anything.

pugsandponies

Visit site
My Sec D is an absolute saint - quiet and sane enough for my ten year old (novice) sister to get on and have a go, totally bombproof, but she's forward going, does a nice dressage test, and will happily jump 3ft3

Cobiau Cymreig Wyllt

Visit site
I have two sec D's - half-brothers, chalk and cheese. Both are Nebo on the sire sides and the younger one is line-bred Nebo on the dam side.
The younger line-bred one had a very unfortunate start in life which has resulted in a lot of handling issues which are taking a lot of time and patience to resolve. His nature seems to be complex, ultra sharp, a real worrier, deeply offended by anything other than calm patient handling but also curious, very bright and a funny mixture of bold and scared. Things he's had issues with in the past are deeply ingrained, new things introduced properly are no issue. He's bottom of the herd order despite being the biggest but generally fairly rubbish with humans. He definitely needed someone to bond with him in order to trust. He can be very loving and communicative - drives me nuts but I love him to bits. Suspect he will be a life's work!
Big brother on the other hand was a stallion till 6, was the most calm friendly laid-back stallion, though a bit bossy with his herd..tends you look at you in a dignified but slightly baffled manner when you ask him to do something, then generally good-naturedly humours you. He is still learning to use his body tactfully around humans but there is no malice in his bargeyness if you happen to be in the way of something he needs to check up on..he just forgets you are a feeble human sometimes....again that's work in progress. Like his little half-bro he is very 'chatty'. Both of them are pigs when it comes to food.
I also rode a Welsh D gelding years ago for someone who was jumping for Wales..people used to laugh at him in the collecting ring and say 'what have you brought that carthorse for?" They soon stopped laughing when they saw how he jumped. In the stable he was mannerly, kind, loving, interested and loved human company - really not fussed about other horses. But he had to be clipped with dog clippers over several nights as he was so twitchy about it and we never got that out of him. He was lovely to hack, forward-going, had to stay awake but generally reasonably sane.
I love the breed, and their quirks...but they're not everyone's cup of tea for good reason! I sometimes ride something else belonging to someone else and think 'Hmmm would be nice to have a quiet life sometimes' and then I go straight back to my beautiful lovable, challenging D boys.
Gotta love 'em! :D

Ladydragon

Visit site
I've really enjoyed this thread... Although I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing that I hadn't seen it before we got our baby recently... :eek: :D

He's a rather gorgeous 8mth foal with Nebo and Derwyn lines on his sire's side... Parc on mum's... He is a bit of a doll though and the yard cuddlebug... It's already very clear that he's bonded particularly strongly with my husband - he'll follow him around like a limpet...

He's a typical baby in the field but so far, he's amazingly laid back and easy to handle... I'll keep my fingers crossed he doesn't turn into a total lunatic... :)

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My D was 16hh, by Trevallian Ap Comet out of Pantagorian Eirlys, bought him at 6 months, died aged 30. Totally sound all his life, kind and honest, did everything easily and willingly. He was thought to by 'hot' by many but he was just a forward going horse and remained that way until retirement at 27.

As a 6 year old he was borderline too much for me and I sent him to a friend for more work. The horse did a pleasure ride on the Sunday followed by 6 mornings cubbing and then another pleasure ride the following Sunday. His attitude on the Monday was - what are we doing today, I am not tired !!

he simply bounced through life with a smile on his face. I do wonder if people mis-understand a welsh cobs spark for naughtiness. You do need to enjoy a forward thinking horse if you want a welsh cob.

It took me a while to get used to his way of going and I used a biggish bridle out hunting, but he was as safe as houses, pony agility in a horse body. Jumped like a stag, rock hard feet, lived on pony nuts and hay, didn't trouble the vet until older age when harvest mites affected him.

All horses are different and D's are not dopes on ropes or ride once a month types but I would love my boy back for another 30 years of loyal service. If you are looking for one stick to a well schooled one that has been brought up to be polite, ideally one that has not been shown in hand.

foxy1

Visit site
The Welsh D's are a forward thinking breed and all jump like stags. I've had some (5 to be precise) nappy, ungenuine connemaras and found the New Forests without exception (and I've had a few of them too) have a big buck in them. At least with the D's if you give them somewhere to go they will get moving!

I should say that I was a dealer for a few years so maybe I only got the naughty connies but never had a D I couldn't sort out, whereas the connies were sold on a wing and a prayer!

Merlin11

Visit site
I have a welsh part bred and love him to bits. He is full of character, can be cheeky but very loveable too. They are an intelligent breed and good all rounders. He goes but is also very safe. If you want to go he'll go but he will also toddle along and you can put a child on him. One thing I would say is they like company and he is not keen on hacking alone and can be very stubborn on that one. He is the boss of my four although not the biggest but he also allows the smallest to share his feed. If you want character, friendship and a fairly safe ride you can't go far wrong with a welshie.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I love Section D's, we used to breed them, had pue bred and part bred Section D's
They were all lovely to handle, even our stallion, he had wonderful manners on the ground but could be a little sharp to ride, but if you had the confidence he was fantastic.
I backed our pure bred Section D mare years ago and I did have a nasty accident when she spooked one day but other than that she was very good, again sensitive and could be sharp but she was good to hack out alone.

I also worked at a welsh cob stud, the young colts were a little scary at times :eek: but nothing a bit of handling would not sort out.

I think they are not for a complete novice on the whole as they are a bit sharp, but I would have a Section D again, but they are all different after all, but in my experience they can be a handful. Gentle but sensitive I would say overall.

BTW cundlegreen, your stallion is lovely :D