welsh d temperaments - your opinions please

rolsterlady

www.kindphotography.co.uk
From personal experience, they are very stubborn, strong willed, feisty, strong, and unpredictable... but i love them none the less!

I am also sure you can get D's that are very laid back, i just haven't had the pleasure of knowing one!

I think when they are good, they are very good, but if you get on the wrong side of them you have a battle on your hands!

They ARE very pleasing for the eye i must say. :)

charlyan

Visit site
Well I have a part bred of each breed and I would say their characters are in line with most of the comments on here.

The Welsh cross is certainly never a boring ride but he is my horse of a lifetime :)
Full of character and still pushes the boundaries five years in. Having said that he is the kindest, most gentle horse ever, but certainly not suitable for complete novices, as he needs a confident handler and rider and is very much a "one person" horse. To sum it up, he will take advantage of any hesitation on the rider/ handlers part. It took me awhile to "earn" his respect. He will also occasionally throw mock spooks to try and get out of work but I love him to bits and will never part with him :D

On the other hand, my connie x is sweet, kind and so biddable. He is probably the faster, more forward and sporty of the two but is easier to ride by a clear mile. When I got him a couple of years ago, I found it quite astonishing to have a horse that did as he was asked, no questions, no arguments and is nowhere as spooky. :D

Movement and looks wise, they both have presence and amazing paces while still quite different. The Welsh x is very stallion-like and forthright with high knee action whilst the Connie x has very floaty paces and looks very elegant. They are also both very playful and love human contact.

So it really depends what you want- personality, presence and a challenge- go for the welsh. An easier, more biddable ride, and plenty of style, go for the Connie :)

Pipkin

Visit site
I love them but honestly every single one I have come across is a bit crazy :D

I was lucky enough to be bought one when I was 11, possibly the most fun horse I`ve ever had and wouldn' bat an eye at a thing, BUT he was nappy, loved his mares WAY too much, really strong and if he didnt want to do something we wouldnt do it.
I ended up selling him to a family friend and he`s now nicknamed Boomerang because everytime he goes out on loan he comes straight back :D
I`m hoping to buy him back one day so he can live out the rest of him years with me.

SophieLouBee

Visit site
I had the sweetest, safest, most loving, kind, genuine welsh D. I could ride him anywhere bareback in a headcollar, and he looked after me as a first time horse owner, and he was 3. 99% of the time he was an utter saint, I mean, you could never find a horse THIS safe. There was always that 1% though, it happened about three times in the three years I had him, that typical welsh streak would come out, and he'd just do as he pleased, swish his tail and his ears and say "no woman, lets do it my way"

As you can tell, he was my horse of a lifetime, and nothing can ever replace him. I think that welshies leave very big boots to fill when they depart.

Love the breed!

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
I have never owned a welshie but i have known a few through friends all mares.
One was beautiful but quirky as hell not really a childs pony which is what she was bought for but lots of fun- she liked eating yoghurt and was a great hack.
Another was a total ***** on the ground bargy stubborn awful in the stable but she responded well to a confident hand she just took the absolute mick if you let her. She was bought as a first horse because she jumped like a stag although she would nap and rear terribly and her flat work left a lot to be desired if you weren't bounced right out of the saddle but her jump WOW if you weren't confident for the first 10 mins and didn't take and **** she would jump the world.
The last one was a lovely sweet mare on the ground she was terribly long backed but that left her with the most comfortable trot i have ever sat to. She had done no flat work and was very strong in the school but not in a dangerous way but she excelled out hacking and would go for hours. She also had a fairly decent pop in her (i took her in the novice 70cm and i am not the most confident jumper in the world but she was so much fun i laughed all the way round even when she jumped me right out the saddle and i landed on my bum complete with stirrups still intact at the very last fence). She was such a sweetheart.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've known two Welsh D's: the first one I bought after I'd lost my old boy. He was a lovely boy, ride & drive, and had a lovely temperament, but he was just that little bit too sharp for me, especially after I'd been used to a very placid ploddy type. It was a shame, I had no option but to sell him, he was a dear little man and was as honest as the day is long. He did need a lot of work tho' - I used to lunge him for about 20 mins before I rode him, if I didn't do it he'd be quite a handful!

The second Welsh D was a fellow livery at a yard I used to be at. He was a feisty little firedragon, one day he'd be a sweetie-pie and the next day he'd be a monster. His owner did a lot of competing with him, she put in a lot of work and on the day he'd be a total reptile with her.

I think it depends on the way you are and the way you ride TBH. I certainly wouldn't recommend a Welsh D for a novice; and strongly feel they need a helluva lot of work in order to function.

You could always go for a cross-bred? Perhaps a TB/Arab X out of Welsh? (any section). That would be a nice mix.

Sorry have no knowledge of Connemara's.

Carys

Visit site
I have a 13 yr old sec D, had since 3 & wouldn't ever get anything else. She's fab to handle - regularly done by my parents (in their 80's !!). Can be a bit strong to ride occassionally especially if we keed doing the same thingin the same place (like cantering) but if you keep it varied she's fab & would jump the moon - gives anyone who's jumped her bags of confidence.
Friend had a connie who was a nightmare but she's one of the very few I've ever heard of that was (did a lap of the arena between each jump on a WHP course!!).
Think as other's have said individual horses vary & a lot will depend on how they've been brought up.
Good luck with whichever one you decide to go with.

MizzPurpleKitten

Visit site
I've got an amazing little Welsh Sec D Gedling, have owned him for nearly 14 years and he's the older, heavier set type of Welsh D with quite a bit of feather. He's so trustworthy and safe it's unbelieveable....you could literally put a 90yr old Grandma or a 2yr old Child on him and he'd behave impeccibly....he'd jump the moon if you asked him and pointed him at it, he's so loving and so sweet.

He's no world beater in the show ring or anything but he can produce a decent Dressage test at Novice level, he's shown up to Ciounty Level well (in his younger years mind....he has a quieter life now) and he's jumped at many an unaffilliated competition and always done pretty well.

He may not be HOYS material but he's a pretty boy, he's well put together, he has the perfect temperement and he's never sick or sorry (had the vet once in 14 yrs excluding vaccinations obviously).

Carlene

New User
Visit site
I have had my Welsh Section D mare for 10 years. We had some major fall outs when I first got her. But I persevered and she is the best friend that I could ever have asked for or wanted. She is retired now due to arthrytis but I would trust her with my life. She is incredibly loyal.
However, she is mean to other horses from time to time. There is another welsh D that I know that is a gelding that is stubborn, disrespectful and unpleasant to other horses. I do not know of an easy going Section D, but they are lovely looking and good doers, they dont cost alot to keep. I am not sure that I would have another one though, it would have to be very special. I hope that this helps.

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
i have a beautiful section d 2yr old from cwmesgair lines. i bought her purely on the basis of her very gentle temprement. i was also able to view her sire and her dam and other offspring all of whom had temprements to die for. so whilst she is gentle and laid back at home at shows she comes to life with the beautiful floaty action of a section d.

POLLDARK

Visit site
I have had two Welsh Sec D & both have been 'away with the fairies'. Complete head cases & sometimes dangerous to boot. Go for a New Forest every time but failing that a Connie.

Visit site
It always makes me cringe when I see articles describing them as children's ponies, you'd have to be an educated child. We've had several, more than several as I often handle youngsters for a breeder. I think they do require an educated and reasonably brave rider but what they need most of all and what so many of them do not get, is good, consistent handling from a very young foal. Unfortunately many of them get touted round the shows by their breeders, made to trot flat out in the ring often with tins of pebbles shaken behind them and then when they are four, sold into the riding market. Not the best education! A sec D does not need a lot of excuse to jump about so much of the education is working with their energy and teaching them to relax. It has to be noted too that a really good Sec D can be quite difficult to get used to pace wise. They don't generally find it that easy to canter if they have a lot of knee action and therefore balance and tact in schooling has to be the watchword. My mare on a sponsored ride has trotted whilst the rest were cantering fast - I promise you, you don't know where to put your bottom!
So I'd treat them all as individuals, look into the background. If you buy a youngster, see what it has done (ideally stood in the field and taken to a couple of local shows quietly not dragged round the circuit and stabled all summer). And so far I have yet to find one who doesn't jump. They really do jump - again more work to balance them as their natural paces needs to be worked with not against. I fyou hold them up with reins and martingale, they get shorter nad shorter until they come off the ground as there is nowhere else to go. To enjoy a welsh cob, I do believe you need to be a confident and educated rider ideally. The combination of their temperament, the often difficult circumstances of their foal and young horse hood combined with the fantastic paces that have to be worked with and not against make them a challenge but often a very worthwhile one.

mszig

Visit site
Sorry to bring up an old thread, was searching my girls background and Yarty popped up in this thread. So glad I did not read this before I bought her in March as I still consider myself a novice owner (she is my first) and rider so might have put me off...but we are meant for each other.

She is sweet, funny, opinionated and very intelligent. I would not trade her for any other despite having to be firm with her, she is still very green in the school but have from the first hack felt safe with her.

Alfiem

Visit site
I have a D - but not one bred for the showring, and this is where I think the difference lies.

Mine is very old fashioned, almost like a carthorse compared to the light and fancy ones that seem to be in fashion nowadays, I do dressage and RC with mine and he's as honest as the day, will try his heart out for you and is cheeky and fun with it too. He has the most trainable attitude and is like a mini warmblood in his dressage!!
He may get nowhere in the showring but I wouldn't have one of those headcase lightweight things if you paid me!
If I were to ever look for another D I would be looking at the performance studs NOT the showing ones, the better D's are bred with a job in mind, not looks alone.

scewal

Visit site
I lost my welsh d x tb to colic this summer. She was 3/4 welsh. On the ground she was like a lamb to handle. The most loving mare i ever met. But riding she was very spooky and very forward going. Certainly not a novice or nervous ride. Best of luck with your decision.

dollymix

Visit site
Welsh Ds are full of character- but that's why I love them so much. Generally speaking, the Ds I've known and ridden haven't been novice horses but all have been 100% safe.

Taking my Luna as an example, she was a dream to back and ride away. From day one she was bold and brave and would happily hack alone with no hang ups whatsoever. She is strong though and on a field can bounce rather than walk - but saying that, she has never once bolted with me. She has tried it on with a more novice rider though who hacks her for me occasionally.... She calls her a power hack! But again, she's never had a problem as such...

Temperament wise, she loves people and is the softest, soppiest horse I know. Getting her in from the field is like a scene from blank beauty! She gallops over as soon as she sees me, whinnying her head off! She can be bolshy though... She doesn't try it on with me but if other people catch her/ turn her out, if they are not experienced enough to put her in her place she goes at her own pace... I.e as fast as poss!

I honestly believe that if you find a D you like and build a bond with it, being firm but fair, you earn their trust and respect and will do anything for you. They are also incredibly clever and quick so can get themselves out of trouble before you have even realised that there's a problem.

Would I have another sec D? Absolutely!

EstherYoung

Visit site
I had it descried to me once that they are very like arabs, in that they need their 'person'. Once they have that person, a more passionately loyal horse you couldn't wish for. But just like arabs, they are very easy to screw up.

I'm not a welsh person per se, but I had great fun competing my friend's part bred (one of Dr June's) and Wolf is half D too. As someone else said on this thread, you buy the horse not the breed.

horsesforcourses

Visit site
I had a partbred WC, bought as an unbroken 2yr old. Farmer delivered for us and loosed him straight out into the field. No headcollar or nothing!!

Scoody (came from farmer Scudamore) took one look at one of his field companions (donkey) and hotfooted it straight over the hedge in to next field. We spent the entire day trying to catch him,....everytime we went into one field- he would jump the opposite fence into the next one!! Should have read the signs...he spent his entire life jumping out of his correct field-grass is always greener- was his motto.

Luckily, we lived in a quiet village, and looking back (30yrs) the neigbours were really good, as more often than not, he was grazing their lawns when they got up in the mornings.

But we had such a bond, that when i went to the field, and he was the other side of a fence, i'd just call him, and he would jump back over to me.
Out riding with a friend, we tested this....i got off him in a field, told him to 'go'- off he set, galloping across field, i then called him, and he immediately turn around and came running back.

And yes, his talents were not un-used, he won virtually everything Show Jumping,
outjumping the horses in height and speed. No fence was too big for him.

But......i have to say, i do not think i would be able to cope with him now I'm older, he was the ideal horse for a teenager, devil may care rider, as he was a very bucky and plungie type of horse. If he knew he was on the way home, read all the time, he would gig and jog, canter on the spot, buck and fly buck. But knew that i was enjoying it as well. If he ever felt me loose my grip, he would stop immediately.

So, if you can gel with one, then they are the horse of a life time, and your soul partner. Just be prepared and wear velcro jods.

hula

Visit site
I part loaned a sec D back when I was 14 for 6months. what a lovely boy he was, however made me a bloody quiet rider, had to learn quick and be one step ahead or on the floor. He had an affinity for tanking off in the most awful places but pulling up 2m away from the road.

I've also ridden a few others with a similar highly strung attitude. And all of them (think it's been
Mentioned on here before) had a very annoying incessant jog whilst out hacking, if you tried to pull them up you'd get a paddy, if you kicked them on to trot you'd be back at the stabled pretty quick. And all were bloody good jumpers.

Saying that would love my own! Know of a Connie ATM that was an utter nightmare between the ages of 5-7, but now aged 8/9 is an angel, could learn to ride on him.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
if i were you Id ride as many of both as you can and if possible arrange a trial period. Important with any sale if you can get it but because D's can be so pushy and need firm boundaries a trial period would allow you to see if you're up to it should you find one you like:D

Ive had both breeds. My 7 year old Sec D is far safer than either my pure connie or connie x were to hack. They both had awesome jumps though and I would say as a rule are better for jumping if thats what floats your boat. My D can be spooky and very strong but there is nothing bad or unpredictable about her; she's a gem. I do think they really will take advantage of a complete novice however as has been proved when giving a pony ride to a friend's son of 12 whom she took off with:eek: I equate them to the border collies of the horse world, far too damned clever but utterly adore them:D

have you considered a highland btw? They can be a bit strong and bolshy as well but arent as sharp as a lot of D's, I grew up riding highlands and pretty much taught myself in my childhood on some very forgiving and genuine examples.

katastrophykat

Visit site
My D is the slightly demented type. He tested me to within an inch of my life when I bought him- he was 10 at the time! He can be a sod to catch (though we've pretty much got that cracked) and occasionally buggers off in hand when he's wound up- so we don't take him anywhere in public without a bit in, and can be incredibly sharp ridden, especially if he thinks there's a chance of you coming off...! He also tries his heart out for me, produces some fabulous work when he's in the mood, and looks after me when I'm driving him (bought him as my first driving trials pony) and if I get lost in an obstacle he just sighs, waits for me to sort myself out and off we go again! He's worth his weight in gold to me, has improved my riden confidence no end- and it was fine to start with- as he does worry and you have to tell him everything is ok! He's improved my riding generally, as of he feels that you're off balance he will help you... To the floor! I've had ex pointers, schooled on bolters, and had an incredibly sharp tb x Connie, but Ru is more of an all round handful than any of them! I am still in my 20s and happier galloping and competing than happy hacking- he's most certainly not what I would have bought if I didn't want to compete.

Best of luck if you do get one- let us know what you do!

Ps... I'd love a Connie as well, but can't afford one!

mszig

Visit site
Maybe I have been lucky, Have never seen her kick or fully rear...mini bucks when unhappy in previous bit and she nipped me once but after being shouted at then going in a huff at the back of her stable for sometime she has never done it again. I have been told I'm a quiet rider so maybe thats why we work...I cant kick her or use a crop (before she was mine I did witness her reaction to them) but I don't need to just we nudges and she responds really well. She is amazing in traffic, sometimes spooks at rediculous things but always takes me with her and tries SO hard in lessons. She reads my mind and we potter along nicely. Or maybe it is all still to come...she is only 6.

I'd recomend a D...but I am completely bias.

Mare Stare

Visit site
I used to ride a Sec D mare at my old riding school.

I was one of the few people she liked. She was a moody cow who loved to pull faces. She could be a complete pain in the ass if she didn't like you. I remember watching the instructor wrestling with her when trying to wash her feet so I offered to do it instead. The mare stood perfectly still for me. :D I loved her to bits.

Morgan123

Visit site
I love my Welsh D but GOD is he hard work, and i'm an experienced owner. Would not buy one again I don't think, but on the other hand would also never sell the one i've got - once we got eachother figured (which took a long time) we do hvae a good partnership and i love him to bits... agree they're a little like arabs in needing their 'person' - though i think Ds are worse!!

On the other hand have never known a connie to be as .... 'different'.,... as a D - so if choosing by breed between the two and you don't fancy a challenge i'd go for a connie.

I was at a kelly marks and Monty Roberts demo once nad Kelly said that she'd be out of business if it wasn't for Welsh Ds - so i think that says a lot. Of course they cna be fantastic, but you have to not mind having lots of 'downs' as well as enjoying the odd 'up'!

Megibo

Visit site
just to further to my original post on here OP, i now have a welsh D x 3/4 tb and he doesn't have any of the character my pure girl does...not pretty either!
but he's only 18 months (OR so they said, we are getting dentist to age him) and he might look better next spring + have a bit more character.
harry3.jpg

harry2.jpg

MagicMelon

Visit site
I had a pure bred Welsh D for about 4 years - loved him to pieces and still very very much regret selling him a couple of years ago (I did build into the contract that the new owner had to offer him to me first if they wished to sell). He tested me horrifically when I got him as a 3yo. His manners were nil, he would walk all over me (literally), break through stable doors, tank off when leading - you name it he did it! Trying to teach him to travel was just dreadful, he would flip out in the trailer and spend the time with his front hooves off the ground... the times he actually jumped over the breast bar I cant even count on both hands!! Spent months just driving round the field trying to make him chill out, but it was the leaving him in there - he had serious seperation issues (from people apparently!). He was backed when I got him, but I had to take it right back to scratch as he was so nappy - it took 2 months just to get a trot out of him. BUT with a LOT of very had work, he did improve to the point I was happy with him. He would still slip back into being a brat regularly but just had to be reminded. To ride, he turned out fantastic - yes, he would throw in some massive bucks when excited but knew when to behave. I remember at the Highland Show, he was placed in the top 10 after behaving beautifully even though he was totally wired with the atmosphere but in the lap of honour, he let off the BIGGEST buck. I've never had a horse with so much character. We knew each other so well and I genuinelly felt he adored me!

I ended up trying to sell him as I couldnt afford to compete 2 horses anymore and my other horse was the eventer which is my main thing. I was very open about how he behaved and told people immediately that he would test them badly at first. A lady took him on the basis that if they didnt get on with him then to return him and I'd refund her in full. He was back within a week having been dreadful with her to the point he'd apparently pinned her up against walls and bitten her!! Never did that with me, I guess he simply didnt respect her at all. He ended up being sold to a 14yo girl though who actually he really took to and they've been fine together! Some day, perhaps I'll get him back...

I think Welsh D's are very particular, sensitive horses who like some people and dont gel with others. Having gone through hell with mine at the beginning, he turned out well and I dont regret having him one bit. I miss having such a huge character on my yard and would definately consider having another (would have one now if I could!).

mszig

Visit site
I think Welsh D's are very particular, sensitive horses who like some people and dont gel with others. .

I totally agree with this, my girl either really likes someone, tolerates them or shows complete dislike....in particular one lovely trimmer who when I left them alone for a min found herself pinned up against the wall :eek: I heard shouting and ran back trimmer declared she really would just walk right over you wouldn't she...and I thought no she wouldn't, if she respected you.