Welsh section D experiences?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
nikib specifically said she wanted one with no welsh in it when she was looking, I just snuck it in without her noticiing ;)
Haha, at what point did she find out? After she was hooked, I suppose :cool:.

*makes note to screen the breeding for welshness very carefully if ester ever helps me in a horse hunt :p*

I do love them, really.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Haha, at what point did she find out? After she was hooked, I suppose :cool:.

*makes note to screen the breeding for welshness very carefully if ester ever helps me in a horse hunt :p*

I do love them, really.

Neither of us knew TBF but it explained why I liked her when I rode her, she found out when she did some history digging on her breeding :). She still loves Cassie though so all good :D

NooNoo59

Visit site
I am going for a second look. I think they have a bad press (although not on here) and no horse is perfect! I need to have the belief that I can cope with most things and he seems like a nice person

Equine_Dream

Visit site
You need to look at the horse as an individual. Yes breeding matters but really they are just stereotypes which not all horses live up to.
Tbs are another breed with a bad rep - high maintenance, neurotic, speed freaks. I've met one that is the exact opposite. A complete teddy bear you could put the most nervous novice on.
If you like the horse and it's temperament suits you, go for it! :)

SEL

Visit site
I love them - but also managed to have one of my worst ever falls of my friend's Sec D when he bolted from something and tried to run straight through a post & rail fence. He was rather inbred so I suspect he was a bit lacking in the intelligence department. Absolutely stunning to look at though, but massive insecurity issues (very bonded to HIS human and HIS pony).

She also had a Sec C who I knew since he was 2 yo and he was totally bombproof. Could hack him alone not long after he was backed. Rarely spooked at anything and the worst you'd get out of him was a decent buck if he was a bit excited or showing off his flashy legs in the show ring. If he would have grown a hand then I'd have loaned him off her permanently.

SpringArising

Visit site
Tbs are another breed with a bad rep - high maintenance, neurotic, speed freaks. I've met one that is the exact opposite. A complete teddy bear you could put the most nervous novice on.

I'd have a TB over a Welsh Cob in terms of temperament any day. TBs can be a little hot but I find they are not pig headed like a lot of Sec Ds.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I'd have a TB over a Welsh Cob in terms of temperament any day. TBs can be a little hot but I find they are not pig headed like a lot of Sec Ds.

That's basically my point. You can't rule a horse out based on breed. You have your typical stereotypes but you need to look at the horse itself. Some fit the stereotypes others don't.

paddy555

Visit site
There abit chalk and cheese. You love them or hate them.
I personally love them, they all have an individual spark to them!
Regarding bloodlines others will be able to educate you further but some are more "sporty and firey" so to speak and others "traditional and laid back".
I'd be careful when viewing dependant on what you want :)
Exciting times through!

I had one, never again. However I then met someone breeding them who told me it was the breeding to blame. Hers were lovely and would clearly have gone and done anything asked of them. So look at the bloodlines, find out the parents and see what they have done, meet them, look at their attitude to riding, see what they can do. Then look for siblings or half siblings. Do they perform well at what you want? Forget looks, concentrate more on performance, attitude, willingness, co-operation. I think the presence of some of those good qualities is why some people adore them and wouldn't have anything else.
If co-operation is lacking think hard.

tabithakat64

Visit site
They really are marmite horses, very versatile, great looking and can be amazing, they have a real sense of humour which unless you're very quick witted you'll be the brunt of, are prone to hysterics if allowed to get worked up oh and they have an opinion about everything :D

conniegirl

Visit site
and yet i've had TB's and welshes and you couldnt pay me to have a TB. TB's for me have been Scatty, stupid things, that struggle to understand basic concepts and need repeatedly driling on them to get anywhere near half decent work, they spend more time on a sick note than in work and inclined to try and kill me on a regular basis.

I think for Welshies you do have to be a pony person and you do need to be able to work with them rather than just tell them.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I've known two well.

One was about 25 years old and came on load to a RS I was working at many years ago because he was way too hot for his 16 yr old owner. I absolutely loved riding him, especially jumping which I'm not usually keen on, and did some veterans and working hunter on him. He liked to be pretty much left alone jumping, point him at it and leave him be, and always went at a fair clip - both things which I usually hate but for some reason didn't bother me at all with him. He could be a bit interesting to hack out though, pace control a bit lacking at times, and definately improved with being in proper full work. He looked and acted about 6 years old!

The other was a fellow livery a few years ago, owner was an older gent who'd had him from a youngster. He was a total PITA, always escaping from his stable, trying to mount mares, messing about out hacking spooking and carrying on. TBH I think he was bored and looking to entertain himself. He was another great jumping pony though, his owner took him to hunter trails etc and he was totally bombproof and never stopped when going XC though was known to rear when warming up. The YO did a bit of dressage on him quite successfully for a time when the owner was ill.

alexomahony

Visit site
My girl is lovely and tries her hardest at all times. I trust her to behave at all times no matter what is going on around us. She is a really good all rounder. The only problem is she is sometimes a nightmare to catch.

TP - is yours the chestnut in your photo? If so, how's she bred? she is VERY similar to my gelding's sister and mum (and most the mares related to him!)

alexomahony

Visit site
I LOVE them - but they, like others have said hard work and quick witted. Mine is my horse (15h overgrown pony) of a life time. He's stubborn, pig headed, temperamental and very hot and sensitive but he is also the biggest softie I know, fantastic to ride, never strong but he is bouncy and spirited and I trust his opinion and he trusts mine. I got him pretty much unhandled and just gelded at 3 years old and it took me about 2.5 years to eventually sit on him but since then, he's the safest horse I know to ride - if you can ride. If not, and you go against his movement or bounce on his back and you'll be on the floor within seconds!

(He's the one in my photo<<<<)

cindars

Visit site
At least when Dolly spooks she goes forward and then stops not like my last Arab who would spook and do a 90degree spin and drop her shoulder

JJS

Visit site
I've known three previously, and liked them to varying degrees, but my own partbred is the one who's made me a complete and utter convert. She's only a year old, but she's honestly the kindest and most characterful little horse you could ever hope to meet. She's brave, clever, and quick-witted, with a healthy dose of Welsh fire and an unerring desire to please. She's bombproof in almost every situation, but not in the way of her cob mum - Flower takes all of her confidence from her handler, and I think a lot of Welshes are the same. When something upsets her, it really upsets her, and in those instances the key is to just stay calm and then practise, practise, and practise some more in preparation for the next time. Once she's had it introduced properly, she'll very quickly accept that whatever it is isn't going to harm her, and then you'll never have a problem again. She really is the bee's knees, and I can't wait to introduce her to ridden work. We've got a good few years to wait, but I think she's going to be great :)

scruffyponies

Visit site
I took a good friend to see a fairly green 4yo D. She was into TB's and called him an ugly lazy sloth. However, against her better judgement she loaned him. A short time later she bought him, having realised just how much EASIER her life had become and has had 15 years of nothing but fun from him. He's honest, willing and turns his hoof to anything (was even put into harness at one point), and he hasn't had a day sick or sorry. If you asked him to plough a field tomorrow, he'd do his best. That's what a welsh D should be.

However, I have one in my field at the moment who went straight from the breaker's yard to a young novice who taught him just how big and strong he is, that he can't always trust his handler and that work is entirely optional. He's bargy, nappy and opinionated, to the point of being pretty dangerous (bucking fits and BIG shies). He invents convenient hedge dragons to test you, and although he has some good days, he can be a pig. In the right hands, he would have been a lovely horse, but although he's better with confident handling, the only thing that would fix him properly is 30 miles a day every day. He's a strong, intelligent, sensitive animal ruined... like many other welsh cobs. :(

Annagain

Visit site
I took a good friend to see a fairly green 4yo D. She was into TB's and called him an ugly lazy sloth. However, against her better judgement she loaned him. A short time later she bought him, having realised just how much EASIER her life had become and has had 15 years of nothing but fun from him. He's honest, willing and turns his hoof to anything (was even put into harness at one point), and he hasn't had a day sick or sorry. If you asked him to plough a field tomorrow, he'd do his best. That's what a welsh D should be.

However, I have one in my field at the moment who went straight from the breaker's yard to a young novice who taught him just how big and strong he is, that he can't always trust his handler and that work is entirely optional. He's bargy, nappy and opinionated, to the point of being pretty dangerous (bucking fits and BIG shies). He invents convenient hedge dragons to test you, and although he has some good days, he can be a pig. In the right hands, he would have been a lovely horse, but although he's better with confident handling, the only thing that would fix him properly is 30 miles a day every day. He's a strong, intelligent, sensitive animal ruined... like many other welsh cobs. :(

You've just reminded me of the time mine went to be broken to harness (before I had him - his old owner told me the story). He'd been with the driver 2 days when his owner got a phonecall saying. "Come and collect him, if I ever see that horse again I'll shoot it." She never got the full story, the man was too angry and just ranted about how ignorant he was. My guess is he tried to 'show him who's boss'. There was only ever one answer to that question.

{97702}

Visit site
You've just reminded me of the time mine went to be broken to harness (before I had him - his old owner told me the story). He'd been with the driver 2 days when his owner got a phonecall saying. "Come and collect him, if I ever see that horse again I'll shoot it." She never got the full story, the man was too angry and just ranted about how ignorant he was. My guess is he tried to 'show him who's boss'. There was only ever one answer to that question.

My section D was a pig-headed sod to load into a trailer.... I still remember a yard owner basically assuming I was useless and steaming in saying 'let me have a go, he'll soon go on'....... I managed not to laugh out loud as he immediately broke away from her and buggered off down the driveway at full speed with travel boots flapping...... of course he shouldn't have done that, but her face was a picture :D

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I can sing their praises all day long, a good D and you'll never want anything else.

You'll have the bravest, most loyal, hilariously funny, best friend you could wish for - you'll clash at times (there's no doubt, temper tantrums are a must) and they have their bad days, but the positives will outweigh them by a million.

^^^ This.......... D's either like you as a rider, or they don't! My old gal (now retired, who was gifted to me by a friend, the most precious thing I've ever been given) is loyal to a fault and VERY intelligent; she could also change her "ride" to suit the most novice kiddie or novice up top, where she was as safe as houses; to going full-out like she did when she was hunting where she'd go all day and still come back for more!

C1airey

Visit site
A pony mind in a horse’s body!

As others have said, they can be prone to EMS and sweet itch is also common to the breed. They are intelligent horses who are quick to learn and easily bored. Once bored, they look for their own entertainment...

A sense of humour and an extravagant trot come as standard, as does at least one ‘quirk’. I adore mine to the point of worship but he doesn’t do it for everyone. I would absolutely have another.

gryff

Visit site
IMG_20180930_155906_713.jpg
I can sing their praises all day long, a good D and you'll never want anything else.

You'll have the bravest, most loyal, hilariously funny, best friend you could wish for - you'll clash at times (there's no doubt, temper tantrums are a must) and they have their bad days, but the positives will outweigh them by a million.
Totally agree. And they are so beautiful!
This is my 18 year old. He's starting to slow down a bit now, but makes my heart melt what time I see this head her the stable door.

superpony

Visit site
Mine is mostly welsh with a bit of tb.
He is nearly 21 and I have had him since he was 5.. he is my horse of a lifetime.

He never says no to anything, is fun, has been very successful at BD over the years and has a fantastic sense of humour.

However, he was very challenging as a youngster and even now he still tries it. He flew off the lorry yesterday, I was legged up and my Dad quickly ran out of the way as he bounced around the lorry park. 😂but he then got in the warm up, settled and produced two fabulous tests!

Hollychops

Visit site
My eldest daughter had a Welshie and he gave her so much confidence. Looked a bit like a scruffy bog pony when he came off the box at PC, but the comment of "oh God, what has she brought" soon disappeared when they saw him move. He was brilliant to ride, did a fab dressage test, a 9 for the first centre line at RC dressage champs, great to hunt, do games on, xc but very much took alot of confidence from his rider. Went games training with my youngest a week after coming home from being on loan for a year as if it was something he did every friday night! If my daughter had an ounce of doubt about a xc or sj fence he picked up on it, but if she said Go, he went. His only down side was being sensitive on the ground, but we put this down to 3 inexperienced owners in 3 years before we bought him and those 3 homes not knowing the difference between sensitivity/uncertainty and naughtiness (which he never was).
Good luck with your vetting

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Funnily my old instructor used to say often when Welshies have their ears pricked forward they curve in slightly, giving the look of devils horns and I can definitely see that on mine!!

her curly ears are literally the thing that made me agree to take mine on :D I just love them ;)

My guess is he tried to 'show him who's boss'. There was only ever one answer to that question.

Mine learnt a similar lesson from her previous owners, unhelpful at best... it was so bad she was nearly on a one way trip to the hunt kennels. Oh my but i wouldn't change her for the world now. It was a long and difficult journey getting to this point but her amazing personality was what made me keep on trying for her. Cute, furious, willing, hysterical, loyal, desperately wanting to do the right thing even though her contrary instinct was telling her to do the opposite, you could see the split personality thing happening behind her eyes at times. A great work ethic. She is without doubt the most intelligent horse i've ever ridden, and I thought Millie was pretty smart.

The things she won't do, we don't do, she was totally ruined by her past so there's no point spoiling what is now a very pleasant relationship. So no solo hacking and no jumping, she just doesn't see the point of either and I am not bothered, she has earnt her place on my yard in other ways.

I agree with a previous poster who said you ride them like you ride mares. And you ride a chestnut welsh mare even more that way!! people either like mares or hate them, it seems, and I think the same applies to welshies. I'd have another in a heartbeat, i have had partbreds which were nice horses but a bit more "ordinary" IMO... good luck with the vetting, OP.