Welsh section D experiences?

siennamum

Visit site
I love them and have been debating getting a PB youngster. My favourites are actually C's they are the best of all worlds in terms of temparaments and conformation, and one of my favourite ever animals was a C stallion I used to show, who was wonderful. Too small for me now though.
I worry about modern D's that they are too straight in the hind leg, too long in the body and being made into whizzy nutters through poor handling & inbreeding. I also worry they cant always canter, which could be an issue as I would want to compete.
Having said that if I could find a lovely big old fashioned type then I would be sorely tempted. They can do any job and I have never had an issue with temperaments, though I like horses to have a bit of spirit and a good brain.

Sauerkraut

Visit site
I am a fearless warrior horse and know literally everything" and "oh my God don't leave me, I think I'm going to die

I think this is the best sentence I’ve read in a long while!!

I have a Sec D. My first one. Well what can I say!?

I was used to warmbloods back in Germany. Had a TB here in the UK and then borrowed small sec D (14.3) of a friend a few times when out hunting with my daughter. It was much easier to jump off and on when said 6 year old daughter needed a pee again or fell off her pony. He was very well behaved out hunting so when an opportunity came along of another friend selling her young 4 year old 14.3 I thought that would be a perfect match.
Was hacking nicely on the lanes after just being backed and all .... Then came the spring grass and the MONSTERS!!!

He is 8 years old now and I actually own a Sec C mare now too which is my daughter’s jumping pony. They are the “welsh dragons” on the yard!!

He can be rude, bolshy, petrified, stubborn and an absolute PITA but he is also super honest jumping, schooling wants to give his best and will always be easy to catch. A lot is down to being a total over handled foal to be fair.

BUT I thought, oh let’s get a cob, they are quiet and chilled. Well, I didnt know welsh Cobs weren’t included on THAT list LOL.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
BUT I thought, oh let’s get a cob, they are quiet and chilled. Well, I didnt know welsh Cobs weren’t included on THAT list LOL.
:Do_O:Do_O:p

hahehehehe
You won't be the only one! I love riding out with my friend on her D, we have exceptionally funny hacks where they both go a bit welsh from time to time. Safe as houses but entirely ridiculous.

Annagain

Visit site
:Do_O:Do_O:p

hahehehehe
You won't be the only one! I love riding out with my friend on her D, we have exceptionally funny hacks where they both go a bit welsh from time to time. Safe as houses but entirely ridiculous.

See, mine never did the spooky Welsh thing. The only time he ever did anything remotely like a spook was when a squirrel jumped out of a hedge and landed on his neck o_O and I think I can forgive that one. He thought he was invincible so nothing scared him. Even when he got hit by a van, we went back out on the roads as soon as we could and he was absolutely fine. I never had a normal fall off him. The squirrel was the most normal fall I ever had in that he spooked, I fell off. The others were all freak accidents that usually meant he ended up on the floor too...... Except the day he shot backwards (instead of his usual forwards) as I was getting on and I went straight over his neck :mad:.

Berpisc

Visit site
I love mine to bits. She is 20 this year, she is not one of the sharper welsh D's but still has some spook in her (enough to cause some comedy moments over the years); her full sister went pony eventing and mine could jump, not that I ever competed with her.
Having said that she has had to get used to all sorts of stuff out hacking and can be brave. The weirdest thing that bothered her some years ago was when we passed a lady leading her child on a small grey pony on a track. My mare then got it into her head that this was the worst thing ever and wanted to shoot off at top speed. She lived with a grey section a, so gawd knows what was going through her mind that day....

ImmyS

Visit site
I love them and have been debating getting a PB youngster. My favourites are actually C's they are the best of all worlds in terms of temparaments and conformation, and one of my favourite ever animals was a C stallion I used to show, who was wonderful. Too small for me now though.
I worry about modern D's that they are too straight in the hind leg, too long in the body and being made into whizzy nutters through poor handling & inbreeding. I also worry they cant always canter, which could be an issue as I would want to compete.
Having said that if I could find a lovely big old fashioned type then I would be sorely tempted. They can do any job and I have never had an issue with temperaments, though I like horses to have a bit of spirit and a good brain.

I think partbreds aren’t a bad way to go as can avoid some of the problems you mention. I’m biased as I’ve got my partbred, but I do love him. He’s a 4 year old welsh D x traditional cob although not super chunky and fairly athletic surprisingly. So far he’s proving to be the perfect mixture of Welsh rediculousness and cob reliability, as in he will passage down a track because of a couple of mini shetlands, but a huge cement lorry pumping out cement on the road, no problem. He feels safe and has a brain. He’s also got lovely paces, a super natural walk, a nice trot without the high Welsh knee action and a rather nice canter, he’s also got a nice pop over a fence. I’m hoping he’s going to be a really super all rounder. I’d get another partbred definitely.

conniegirl

Visit site
I think partbreds aren’t a bad way to go as can avoid some of the problems you mention. I’m biased as I’ve got my partbred, but I do love him. He’s a 4 year old welsh D x traditional cob although not super chunky and fairly athletic surprisingly. So far he’s proving to be the perfect mixture of Welsh rediculousness and cob reliability, as in he will passage down a track because of a couple of mini shetlands, but a huge cement lorry pumping out cement on the road, no problem. He feels safe and has a brain. He’s also got lovely paces, a super natural walk, a nice trot without the high Welsh knee action and a rather nice canter, he’s also got a nice pop over a fence. I’m hoping he’s going to be a really super all rounder. I’d get another partbred definitely.

Unfortunately i had the opposite, i had a section D x KWPN, he had the worst of both parts. All the welsh fire, the kwpn intelligence, the combined sharpness of both breeds, the welsh drama without the self preservation.
He took 3 years to get under saddle, he was unpredictable, prone to explosions that put proffessionals in hospital, was sent home by 2 professional breaking yards as “needing a bullet”, the one proffessional who managed to get on his back ended up with a knee replacement.
When he eventually was going under saddle he was an explosive ride at best and anything that spooked him resulted in blind bolting.
At one show i was riding him and he was touched on the hock by my mother who was trying to get a poo stain off, he bolted, hit a fence snd summersaulted, got up, hit a second fence, summersaulted, galloped over a mile before he stopped. I bailed out as soon as he freaked, id sat a few of them and ended up in hospital each time.

ImmyS

Visit site
Unfortunately i had the opposite, i had a section D x KWPN, he had the worst of both parts. All the welsh fire, the kwpn intelligence, the combined sharpness of both breeds, the welsh drama without the self preservation.
He took 3 years to get under saddle, he was unpredictable, prone to explosions that put proffessionals in hospital, was sent home by 2 professional breaking yards as “needing a bullet”, the one proffessional who managed to get on his back ended up with a knee replacement.
When he eventually was going under saddle he was an explosive ride at best and anything that spooked him resulted in blind bolting.
At one show i was riding him and he was touched on the hock by my mother who was trying to get a poo stain off, he bolted, hit a fence snd summersaulted, got up, hit a second fence, summersaulted, galloped over a mile before he stopped. I bailed out as soon as he freaked, id sat a few of them and ended up in hospital each time.

That’s a shame, sounds like a troubled horse. Just shows every horse must be looked at as an individual, beyond breeding.

conniegirl

Visit site
That’s a shame, sounds like a troubled horse. Just shows every horse must be looked at as an individual, beyond breeding.
He was troubled but I’ve had horses who came back from worse, unfortunately his nature, his sharpness in particular worked against him.
I think if he hadn’t had a difficult past then he would still have been a very sharp ride, definitely a pro’s horse.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I have a beautiful mare of Nebo Black Magic lines. They are beautiful but have pretty bad press as they can be rather spirited.
If I had known the bumpy ride we would have had I may not have had her. But as she was given to me, I had to stick with it. She had been very hard work and scared the bejeesus out of me hundreds of times. I'm not the most confident so we were a very bad combination!!
HOWEVER, after three years of blood sweat and tears, she is my absolute horse of a lifetime. We now trust each other and understand each other. I know when she is being a bugger and needs bringing back into line, or when she's feeling worried and needs my support. Welshies are HIGHLY HIGHLY intelligent and quite frankly, are not suited to some owners. You have to rule with an iron fist and a velvet glove - not take any nonsense but be kind and supportive. They will run rings around you and need clear leadership or they can be extremely difficult. With all of this in mind, mine has gone from unaff W&T to BD elementary and we've only just scratched the surface. I love this horse to the moon and back and I actually believe it's mutual. Once you've got them on side, the sky is the limit and you'll have a best friend forever who will do anything to please you.

welshcobmad

Visit site
All the above. Mine sounds exactly like yours "welshcobmad" ! Would be interested in yours breeding. My boy is 28 - had him for 19 years and he is wonderful - turns his hoof to anything but only when he is in the right frame of mind! As soon as I look at him in the morning I can tell whether he is chilled, spooky, bargy, opinionated, cuddly - or all at once!! He has a wonderful personality but I do need to be very firm and consistent as give him an inch and he will take 10 miles.
Although of course every horse is an individual I would say you need to be experienced and confident with strict boundaries to get the best out of a typical Welsh cob but at their best they are unbeatable.

Mines by Thorneyside the Terminator - known for producing the inner dragon type apparently lol!! What about yours?

Nari

Visit site
I have a beautiful mare of Nebo Black Magic lines. They are beautiful but have pretty bad press as they can be rather spirited.

Mine has him several times in his bloodlines and has always been a very sweet lad, and while he does have a bit about him there's no malice or feel that he's out to get you. Yes he's a hack rather than a competition cob, and he can get a bit quick when schooled until he understands but that's all & he's probably the best hack I've ever known. And, as you say, very beautiful to look at, almost too pretty for a gelding!