Welsh section D experiences?

NooNoo59

Visit site
Hi thinking of buying one of the above nice looking 4 year old. Hacks out alone and in company green in school but moves well and is willing. They seem to have a bad press so what are people's thoughts?

Lintel

Visit site
There abit chalk and cheese. You love them or hate them.
I personally love them, they all have an individual spark to them!
Regarding bloodlines others will be able to educate you further but some are more "sporty and firey" so to speak and others "traditional and laid back".
I'd be careful when viewing dependant on what you want :)
Exciting times through!

blitznbobs

Visit site
A big fan here but they do have a sense of humour and most have a temper too ... but they are great fun and very intelligent I rode them for years but lost 4 in a row to cushings which is when I vowed never to have another — great ponies tho all of them.

conniegirl

Visit site
Very much marmite ponies, you either love them or hate them and you either “get” them or they run circles round you and reduce you to tears.

Make no mistake they are very intelligent PONIES, who often have an inner dragon. Get them on side and they will move heaven and earth for you.

Note that even the big section D’s are ponies with all that that entails.

I personally love them, I love thier fire and attitude, life is interesting with them about but generally not unsafe if you are a half decent rider and i’d Take one over a horse any day of the week. That said I’ve also known section d’s who have had the temperament to do RDA work.

Last edited:

Fruitcake

Visit site
We have 2. They’re both fantastic horses! One is a traditional, chunky type and the other is a more ‘sporty’ line but both have brilliant natures. I’m not sure why they get such bad press: both of ours are steady and very safe, despite having lots of character. They are really intelligent, quick learners (which they apply to good and bad things!) and great all rounders. I love them!

teddypops

Visit site
My girl is lovely and tries her hardest at all times. I trust her to behave at all times no matter what is going on around us. She is a really good all rounder. The only problem is she is sometimes a nightmare to catch.

chaps89

Visit site
All of the above really. You don't want to cross one and you really do need them on side to get anything productive from them. (I know this goes for any horse but more so welshes!) But find one you see eye to eye with and you'll go far. They're intelligent, sparky, fun and I really miss having one in my life!

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Love them! Mine is a 16hh sporty type but even as an 18yo still has a pony streak. When I first got him as a 9yo he was a bolshy *insert swear word here* and needed a lot of firm and consistent handling, and he knows how to use his size and weight against you. However, with all his spirit and strength, he is Mr Sensible in traffic, walks over sacks, carrier bags and feed sacks like they're not there, never tanks off (and pulls up good as gold) and unlike some of my fellow livery's dumb-bloods, is very honest and takes good care of me. For example, if something scares him he takes a few seconds to react (by which time I can prepare and deal with it) rather than dropping a shoulder with no warning, letting me out the side door and buggering off. He's lovely to school and he tries his hardest when jumping to clear it and actually jump the jump even on a poor approach, again, no dishonesty in him whatsoever.

Agree with others that you either love them or loathe them - I think because they're usually horse sized some people don't expect them to behave like a pony. But if you click with one they are the best thing on four legs.

Plus they're bloody gorgeous!

welshcobmad

Visit site
I've had my boy from a weanling & he's now 14, I love him to bits & I love the breed but as all have said above, they're real marmite.

Most days he's a total angel, full of kisses & fusses trying his heart out & will do anything for you. Other days he's a fire breathing bargy dragon, spooking at his own shadow, strong & full of attitude. He's consistently bombproof & great on roads etc but whether he'll load or not depends on the direction of the wind :rolleyes: He'll school beautifully on a Friday but come Saturday he's had a mind blank. I trust him 110% but I know him so well I know what hes going to do before he does it lol. I love his cheeky attitude & definitely has a sense of humour, wouldn't have him any other way. Although I will say my 16 month old WB is proving easier in every way so far! lol!!!

vickie123

Visit site
My 12 year old I’ve had since he was 5. We had a few hairy moments at the start and I would say they are not for the faint hearted and you really need to get them on side but once you do they are yours for life. He will turn his hand to anything and I always feels so proud of him when I’m out competing or going on a fun ride or just hacking round the fields. He has no vices and is the perfect gentleman and my best friend. I know I’m biased but I love them, they have so much personality.

NooNoo59

Visit site
This is all very positive! I am very tempted by him. He is only 4 so I can start him properly he has been driven which slightly concerns me on damage to young legs but will get vetting done. He is dun so very pretty and has good breeding. He is a rockbury if anyone knows anything about those? His grand sire was a danaway. Not that any of this is important if he is the right one.

eahotson

Visit site
We have 2. They’re both fantastic horses! One is a traditional, chunky type and the other is a more ‘sporty’ line but both have brilliant natures. I’m not sure why they get such bad press: both of ours are steady and very safe, despite having lots of character. They are really intelligent, quick learners (which they apply to good and bad things!) and great all rounders. I love them!
I absolutely agree with that post.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
This is all very positive!

Maybe because those who don't like them don't want to say horrid things when so many dearly love theirs! So here is a view from the 'not for me' side..... I have never met one I liked! I viewed about 3 when I was looking - all of whom were horrendous. 1 threw me off and another had a damn good try. I ended up just ignoring any Section D being advertised.

A few friends have them and I dislike them all.

Friend 1: Show cob. Successful in the ring inhand but a lunatic under saddle and is just never ridden anymore.
Friend 2: general allrounder - horrid high trot action. Really uncomfortable to ride.
Friend 3: Eventer/Show jumped. Unbelievable talent - wins regularly, Also throws riders off regularly apparently randomly. Just drops a shoulder mid round!

We had a Section C. My daughter ADORED him but I thought he was a cheeky pain in the ......

Not for me at all.

Having said that, I also believe that breed characteristics are only a small part of the overall horse. Of course there will be lovely Welshies. Just as there are lovely Chestnut mares like Amber!!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Mine has given me the best times of my life :D I wouldn't describe him as overly welsh much of the time though as have met much worse ones.

I seem to have converted a friend too, from always having foresters to having 3 welsh D's in her yard, one of which does have my name on it ;)

pansymouse

Visit site
I have a D x TB but I would she is very Welsh - she's sporty, opinionated and fast. At 25 she can still outrun a 7 yo thoroughbred! She is the easiest and most mannerly horse on the ground but she's an exciting ride and can be prone to Welsh moments under saddle. She's the best horse I've owned in 50 years of horse ownership. If I could clone her I would in a heartbeat.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Mine is now retired but she has been my absolute horse of a lifetime. She is brave and bold, quirky and has a great sense of humour. She is absolute bombproof in any traffic. Her only slight fault is a tendency to argue about speed and direction albeit in a very polite way! :D

I'm not a brave rider but we somehow came to an understanding and learned to trust each other. I love the very bones of her.

I won't have another only because their is no way on earth I could ever find another like her and I'd be forever comparing a new one to her.

Spottyappy

Visit site
We have 2. Both are awesome.
The gelding is now out on loan, having had a successful career in the show ring as a youngster. He is sane, and safe enough aged 5, that the loaners 2 year old daughter can be led around on him.
The other is my mare, who is cheeky and opinionated. But, safe as houses to ride. Can Shy, but looks after me well, which I need in my old age. The worst thing about her, is that she can be a problem to catch. But, so can my diaghetrs RID mare!

catkin

Visit site
Welsh are often one-person ponies, and very very intelligent so you do have to 'meet them halfway'. They can have a 'unique' view of the world too.
They are not for everyone

one thing to watch on the management side - they are very prone to EMS so make sure you can deal with that (when you look at their history as hard-working good-doing all-rounders it's understandable but modern husbandry often has to be adapted to suit them)

HorseyTee

Visit site
I have a welsh cob who many have said must have D in him, and reading the other replies, it definitely sounds like he might.

He is a one person horse, he is a proper plod with me and looks after me well as a novice, however anybody else that has tried to ride eats dirt pretty quickly.
He has one hell of a temper and I often say it is like he's got out the wrong side of the bed some days. If he doesn't get his way he throws a proper tantrum.
However, he is also the class clown and is so silly and comical, and he is too clever for his own good which is a pro and con at times.
Being a novice, he has not been easy, I often wondered what on earth I had done, but he has taught me SO much as well. No regrets.

blodwyn1

Visit site
D's are my breed! I have had 4 and now have a c as well. All of mine are very different to each other but all have lovely personalities. The more modern d 's have more temperament issues than my older girls and can be sharp. My first d mare would have done anything to keep me safe!

Pumpkinbum

Visit site
I love my old lady 20years old and still acts like she it 3. opinionated, stubborn and bloody minded bit will do ANYTHING for me and the kids. had two previous D's who were both very different. all the above traits but Ramases was a giant wimp scared of his own shadow and Rah was so overconfident but had no idea what to do with his feet. love then all.

SpringArising

Visit site
I've had two and I won't have another.

They are both the only horses I've ever had who spent more time being a PITA than not, in every which way possible (rodeo bucks, napping, bolting, spooking at stones on the floor, thinking the world is out to get them, and the list continues). Couple that with the fact they are bloody strong little buggers and it very often did not make for fun, relaxed times...

NooNoo59

Visit site
I've had two and I won't have another.

They are both the only horses I've ever had who spent more time being a PITA than not, in every which way possible (rodeo bucks, napping, bolting, spooking at stones on the floor, thinking the world is out to get them, and the list continues). Couple that with the fact they are bloody strong little buggers and it very often did not make for fun, relaxed times...[/QUOTE

NooNoo59

Visit site
Maybe because those who don't like them don't want to say horrid things when so many dearly love theirs! So here is a view from the 'not for me' side..... I have never met one I liked! I viewed about 3 when I was looking - all of whom were horrendous. 1 threw me off and another had a damn good try. I ended up just ignoring any Section D being advertised.

A few friends have them and I dislike them all.

Friend 1: Show cob. Successful in the ring inhand but a lunatic under saddle and is just never ridden anymore.
Friend 2: general allrounder - horrid high trot action. Really uncomfortable to ride.
Friend 3: Eventer/Show jumped. Unbelievable talent - wins regularly, Also throws riders off regularly apparently randomly. Just drops a shoulder mid round!

We had a Section C. My daughter ADORED him but I thought he was a cheeky pain in the ......

Not for me at all.

Having said that, I also believe that breed characteristics are only a small part of the overall horse. Of course there will be lovely Welshies. Just as there are lovely Chestnut mares like Amber!!
Glad to get all thoughts my dear friend who advises me hates them but as she says this horse is for me not her !!!

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I adore my section D mare. She has attitude with a capital A but I've never had a horse with such a willing attitude. Everything I have asked of her she has tried her best.
Yes she can be hot headed on times and I would not recommend a novice ride her. She is a very adaptable mare. She is brilliant out hunting. Goes over any obstacle and has never refused on all different types of terrain.
She jumps like a little stag but still has the ability to school beautifully.
I can see how they are not for everyone. They can certainly be the firey type they are famous for, however they are also very versatile in my experience.

AGray825

Visit site
I adore my section D mare. She has attitude with a capital A but I've never had a horse with such a willing attitude. Everything I have asked of her she has tried her best.
Yes she can be hot headed on times and I would not recommend a novice ride her. She is a very adaptable mare. She is brilliant out hunting. Goes over any obstacle and has never refused on all different types of terrain.
She jumps like a little stag but still has the ability to school beautifully.
I can see how they are not for everyone. They can certainly be the firey type they are famous for, however they are also very versatile in my experience.

My girl is almost identical to this to be honest.

But saying that, it's taken a long time to get her to properly rideable standard and I've had to adjust my riding to suit her. My experience is that if you enjoy speed and a fiery temperament then you'll really like them. If you like your rides more by-the-book and adjustable then you won't be so keen.

Mine's gone from being a successful ridden show pony and part-time showjumper, to having jumping (mainly cross country at hunter trials) be her main discipline.... and she is amazing at it! Lots of scope, very precise and accurate, and very willing to try her heart out. But at the same time if she doesn't want to do something on any certain day then she can be the most difficult pony ever, pulling dirty stops, running out, using speed as an aversion tactic!

I would honestly have a field full of them if I could :p

AFB

Visit site
I can sing their praises all day long, a good D and you'll never want anything else.

You'll have the bravest, most loyal, hilariously funny, best friend you could wish for - you'll clash at times (there's no doubt, temper tantrums are a must) and they have their bad days, but the positives will outweigh them by a million.