Welsh section Ds- novice or not?

BigRed

Visit site
There are welsh section D's who would be perfect for novice owners and others who are complete nut cases and far from perfect for a beginner. You cannot brand any breed as being perfect. Lots of the welsh ponies are bred for fiery temperaments, you only need to watch them being shown (especially the in hand classes), the one's who boil over, get placed at the top of the line. The calm one's are not placed.

I have a friend who has D's. I have to say of the 3 I have known, none would be suitable as novice rides.

noodle_

Visit site
no...

i know of one who was ruined for a long time by someone totally incompetant to handle it (was dangerous)

in the wrong hands tho, any horse can be unsuitable for a novice... but welshies/warmbloods/arabs (feisty horses) moreso

winkles

Visit site
My first 'proper' pony was a Welsh D, I adore him.

Taught me the ropes and was always forgiving, was a fast learner too when we started to try DR and adored jumping. He never got the whole 'seeing a stride' thing though and wouldn't work if he didn't have to ;) :p

Brandy

Visit site
In general, I would say no.

There will be exceptions to this rule of course.

They can be very fiery, lively, bolshy and difficult.

Archiepoo

Visit site
no would say to generalise any breed is not a good idea,ive had several Ds over the years and only one would have been suitable for a novice, most love to buck and have attitude! my current one that ive had since a foal is a sharp nervy bronco! some blood lines seem to be very sharp indeed!:rolleyes:

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
I am sure this depends on the individual horse but I have owned a welsh D for 9 years and he is absolutely not suitable for a novice rider or handler. Our EDT has an assistant that refuses to deal with welsh Ds!!

I always say that if you can get a Welsh D to work for you consistantly you can ride anything. If you can ride a Welsh D correctly you will find old fashioned Warmbloods easy!!

They are renowned for being difficult and argumentative- you have to be assertive at all times and you have to know and believe you are in control- but not lose your temper!... but once they are on your side there is no better horse!
Mine has got between me and an abusive intruder on the yard and double barrelled them!!

brown tack

Visit site
I think it depends wether it bred for the ring or as a riding horse.

The show ring types tend to be firey when's the ridden ones tend to be more laid back.

I think the latter are good for novices as they are easy to keep, ie hold weight, have good feet, a nice size that can carry a adult well with a leg at each corner. They don't tend to have to many lameness soundness issues, well not the hundreds that I've known anyway.

Bad points though are

Are pig headed
Will take the p
Won't do anything that they don't want to.

But most are quite laid back, won't spook at there own shadows. With a good support team behind the novice I say go for it.

But stay away from the show ring types, cause they are more like tank tb's! Lol. Not meaning to dis welsh d's, (I've had a few fair few) but they are bred fir the spark not something a novice could cope with

xRobyn

Visit site
General; no. But Phil was my first horse, got him when I was 12 and he was an 18 month old welsh colt! We've had our ups and downs but he's incredible.

With the right support I don't see why not, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend one.

dollymix

Visit site
I don't think you can generalise and say a definite yes or no, although in my experience, welsh Ds tend to be quite fiesty! My girl certainly is and I wouldn't be happy for her to be ridden or handled (in some resects) by a novice. But I have met others who are much more chilled out.

Always happy to share pics of my beautiful girl :)
luna-2.jpg

jump.jpg

DSC_0062web.jpg

Last edited:

Polotash

Visit site
Ditto, generally no. I know two who are lovely and quiet, and a lot more that are very firey and sharp! I've also bred two crossed with TBs and they were sharp too, although beautiful looking.

If you are looking for one a friend of mine breeds proper working cobs (NOT the showing type ones!) who are very steady. Website is Transwalestrails.

Kat

Visit site
It depends totally on the horse, and the novice in question but generally no. They are normally pretty opinionated, fairly quick (physically and mentally) and could get the better of a novice. Even a nice natured one (friend on the yard has a lovely genuine one) can be a bit sharp for many, there is also the issue of their flamboyant paces. When I shared a welsh D the owner commented that several people had not got on with him because of his trot.

I am generally concerned when novices go looking for a certain breed it is far better to simply look for a horse that meets their criteria irrespective of looks and breeding. Often when novices want a certain breed it is down purely to image and pictures in books or one animal that they have known.

Natives and traditional cobs are normally good doers with good feet but that alone doesn't make them good for novices. Managing the weight of a fatty can be difficult for an inexperienced person and many of the character traits makes these horses likely to take advantage of anyone not "on the ball". Far better to get a heinz 57 that does what is required than chase down a specific breed.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
I was asking because I made a sweeping statement on another thread that Welsh Ds are not really a suitable horse for a novice owner/ rider. My old guy was a Welsh D x with a trad cob (Mum was a SJ welshie, daddy got into the field from a gypsy camp.) Star was amazing, jumped like a cat, we hunted SJ county/ area and hacked for hours. But touch him with a crop and he did not stop broncing until you were off. He was opinionated, naughty, stubborn and out to be the best. Yet he was sweet and kind as well, gentle as a lamb with young children but would not tolerate fools at all. I would have loved another, looked at a gorgeous one down Warrington way but decided against it because my daughter was a novice.

I loved my lad but he was not a novice's horse.
FDC

xRobyn

Visit site
Missed out on the photos bit! I'm lucky in that my lad is quite a laid back sort, I can trust him out in the open for a gallop with other horses and he won't be (too) silly (course he gets excited but he's not rude) but I can also trust him enough to let my nephew fetch him in from the field and potter around the school with him. He's very tolerant with all sorts of riders (young, novice, good and just plain bad!) and I'd happily send someone out hacking on him so long as it wasn't on the road because he missed the memo about being brave :D He's a traffic-phobe though (and only buses/dumper trucks/arctics etc) but get him onto a field/sea wall/forest/country lane and he's superb :D

319224_10150332743672327_633522326_8737259_591230476_n.jpg

316597_10150326446537327_633522326_8704698_30497377_n.jpg

6372_106465037326_633522326_2644026_6216852_n.jpg

Lotty

Visit site
I have a Welsh D x Warmblood and I would not put a novice on her. I love her to pieces even if she is bad sometimes.

Lolo

Visit site
I think if they are well brought up then then they can be dreams, but our experiences has taught us that if they aren't they really can use those massive shoulders to do a lot of barging!

Henry was only 14hh, superb jumping pony (literally unstoppable, he'd ping round 1.10m courses like they weren't there!), but he was also a handful. He had to be lead everywhere in a bridle or a chifney, because he was prone to charging off to get his own way. Al used to climb in and out of his stable because he'd barge out otherwise- if she was doing anything with him he had to be tied up. Ridden, he was very strong, and did try to get his own way all the time- he was ridden in a cheltenham gag but she also wore spurs and carried a whip, because he was strong but also a bit of an arse!

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=488915

That's him. All our other horses have been good on the ground, but he just knew how much he could get away with due to having got away with it! Astonishing pony though, took my sister from doing PC 2'9/ 3' classes to pinging round 1.10m ODEs, despite having done less than her!

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
my second pony was a Section D and definitely not suitable for a novice, she was a right stubborn cow! But had a terrific jump! There is however a Section D at the yard I'm on now who is one of the safest horses I've ever known, so it does depend on the individual.

Damnation

Visit site
Like any breed of horse or pony, depends on the individual :)

This exactily.
I knew a Welsh D who is a girls first pony and she was novicey just off school ponies. He has given her confidence and tolerated her sub-standard riding, and improved it tremendously.

However I know of other D's that would just not be able to "cope" with a rider who wasn't balanced and confident. Completely depends on the horse, as with ANY horse of ANY breed.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
This exactily.
I knew a Welsh D who is a girls first pony and she was novicey just off school ponies. He has given her confidence and tolerated her sub-standard riding, and improved it tremendously.

However I know of other D's that would just not be able to "cope" with a rider who wasn't balanced and confident. Completely depends on the horse, as with ANY horse of ANY breed.

I totally agree, which is why I put up the thread as I had made a sweeping statement and then thought better of it. I love Welshies and would love another one. Then with Caps and Fany I do like a horse with quirks and character!
FDC

WelshD

Visit site
They are strong, stubborn and bright - never a good combination!!

Seriously though, it does depend on the individual as others have already said but as they are effectively horsey tanks then you are more likely to get in to trouble with them than with some other breeds if they decide to misbehave

MrVelvet

Visit site
I've not read all the replies. I do not think you can label breed as 'suitable for novices'. It's a bit like the prejudice in the dog world .. i.e. Pitbulls will eat children etc. I think it's a lot more to do with the way they are treat. I understand and fully accept that some breeds are 'wired' a little differently i.e. A TB is generally not suited to the novice riding school and the clydesdale type would not be suited to an eventing life.. but there are exceptions to every rule and I do not think its fair to say a novice should not own a D. :) x

JR2011

Visit site
Yes there are those special rare ones out there that first time owners/novices are lucky to have but the majority of welsh D's aren't for the faint hearted.
People often make the mistake of getting a cob for their first horse and generally that is fine but i wouldn't class a welsh D in the standard of cob that most first timers would like to buy.
From what i understand the majority of work/calls an RA (recommended associate) gets are for welshies because of novice owners.

Lolo

Visit site
One word Lolo - WOW!!!!!

People did tend to say that when they saw him jump- he was a mix of exhilarating and terrifying! He was a stunning little pony, but Al (despite being tiny) had been riding naughty little ponies since she was 7- he just was a different brand of naughtiness! I think another part of her success with him was due to him being so unfit when she got him, as she had time to grow in confidence and size before he got too much!