Welsh section Ds- novice or not?

soulfull

Visit site
Everyone says you can't generalise a breed, well there are ALWAYS exception to the rule BUT there are less exceptions to the rule with D's than there are with ANY other breed

I love them and have had several over the years. However despite loving them AND having experience I avoided getting another one

Welsh Cobs and cobs are not the same though sometimes confused.

s an absolute delight but it would be very easy for her to go 'off the rails' with someone who didn't understand the breed and their quirks - novice or not.

Echo this

I think it definitely depends on the individual. I have a 5 yr old Welsh D and he is a total saint, anyones ride. However when we first moved to our current livery yard I had a few comments from fellow liveries about how he looked like he could be a tricky ride/handful (they came to this conclusion by just looking at him!) and nothing could be further from the truth! I am very lucky in that he is flashy but at the same time very safe and sane. I will try and put some pics up....

My friend had one at 2yr old and kept saying this, hmm I say wait until she is 6 then say the same :D seems to be there 'kevin' year. she did come moaning she was being VERY naughty :p

I wish i hadnt read this . Im getting a new cob on Friday and very much looks like a welsh D, am im a novice.........

Another thing to worry about

Be firm and consistent!!! every step needs to be YOUR idea, make sure you do regular handling exercises like move him over to the side, back up, walk towards you and STOP before he gets in your space. You wouldn't believe just how much difference those few things can make:D

Last edited:

hobgoblin

Visit site
I wouldn't describe myself as a novice but bought a d filly at 8 months backed at 3.5 rode it myself for 6 weeks then put my 11 yr old on her who's ridden her ever since hunted and did camp at 4 but she's definitely a take anywhere do anything pony , always sane and sensible
I would describe her as completely suitable for a novice ( she's 8 now )

starbar

Visit site
I would be another that errs on the side of not for novice. I own a part bred section d (a little bit of something else in there but mostly section d) He can be very sharp and opinionated, throws a mean buck and can be bolshy on the ground.
However, on the other hand he is solid in traffic, has great brakes and will canter across open fields and not feel the need to race the others. Which is lucky as he has a high knee action which means he is more prancy than speedy! :p

dollymix

Visit site
Well you know it would be rude not to (any excuse)!

haha...just can't help it!!
DSC_0012.jpg

Cobiau Cymreig Wyllt

Visit site
I had a secD when I was 14 and he almost put me off the Welshies for life. Way too much horse for me, clever as a box of monkeys and quite intimidating. He was my second equine and I just couldn't cope :(
A friend of mine had 2 Uplands bred Ds, they were very calm and docile. We have one of the last Uplands on our yard now. She's 25 and proper old fashioned, leg in each corner, the type that would be fine with a novice as long as she was fed regularly!
My old Ted totally restored my faith in Welshies, he could prance, snort and breathe fire like a proper Welsh dragon but he was the most faithful animal I have ever owned. He was showring bred and had been used as a covering stallion until he was 8 but a total gentleman to handle. He could spot weakness at 100 paces though and would run rings around anybody that allowed him to.
Penpontbren Superted, I miss him every day
HPIM0498-1.jpg

Whether a D is suitable for a novice, or not, I think depends on the person and the horse. The right combination can be wonderful

And what a smashing boy he looks - that's why we love 'em!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
havent read through the whole thread but I would say, on the whole, def not for a novice. They are far too clever/wilful/stubborn. That said my friend has an elderly mare, who although still a little madam under saddle is as gentle as anything on the ground with her toddler, will stand and be brushed quite happily without any histrionics.

Megibo

Visit site
It depends on the horse.

Mine is fine for a novice for one ride, any more and she'll start to take the micky :)
She is quite sharp at times and you have to be very strict with her on the ground, give her an inch she'll take a mile! Lovely for me, but you really have to find one you can click with. I was a novice when i got her (shes my first pony) and she was completely unsuitable. It took me a year and a half of my confidence taking a beating and then eventually lessons with a fab teacher helped me and her to get that "click" and once we got that we never looked back. i love her to bits now and 6 years have passed but definitely not suitable as a novices horse-unless the owners were knowledgeable and the rider was novice with bags of confidence. e.g. a horsey parent buying one for a teenager. Welsh D's can be excellent teachers, mine taught me alot.

pigpony

Visit site
You can't generalise, however with most welshies I'm affraid you can.

Mines fantastic with me ... Anyone else not so much. He's sensitive, can take an instant dislike to people, and generally very sharp.

At 19 he spent the day before a dressage outing rearing and spinning on a hack, at dressage the next day he pulled out a cracking test getting just over 70% in a novice. You can't be complacent with him.

I wouldn't change him for the world, once you have a bond with a sec D you will never have a bond quite like it again.

bugbee717

Visit site
My OH colt is a dope on a rope, he is so chilled, he is as chilled as my dumb blood, maybe we just get lucky with ours even the 2 sec d fillies we just got are chilled as well

jojo23

Visit site
My daughter was a Novice when we got our Sec D, she was having one lesson a week at the local riding school. Our mare is absolutely brillant to handle and I would trust her 100% with anyone in any situation. Under saddle she is forward going and pulls so can be hard work but when she spooks she doesn't go anywhere and would never bolt, buck etc. so it depends on how novice a novice you are talking. In fact she adored my daughter and worked hard to please her.

I know they have a reputation for being bolshy and a bit argumentative but that is not my experience however I have a Sec A who is an absolute pig.

It depends on your ability and the individual horse.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
Because I am a geek and want to join the boasting group, my Danny is the best pony in the whole wide world!! I can't work out how to put pics up but if I can you might be able to spot the dent in his forehead; caused by a hammer by a previous owner.
A typical Welsh D- you often want to make the dent deeper... he has a penchant for bucking (his tail has hit my face on occasion!), and he doesn't suffer fools- he's my best friend and I can't imagine life without him! :D!

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I have recently bought a section D mare as my second horse. I agree that they are not suitable for a novice. You have to ride well or they will do their own thing.

I find that they are very quick to react, no warning signs. They also get a bee in their bonnet about very tame things but will happily walk past a JCB.

Fellewell

Visit site
I've known two fairly experienced horse owners buy Sec D geldings and sell them on within a year and I've known one novice owner who bought a 4 year old Sec D mare as her first pony. The first time owner and her mare had an amazing relationship, it may have been breeding, but this girl/the owner was incredibly laid back and placid. Maybe that's what they need.

Pocket_Rocket

Visit site
As others have said you can't really say whether a particular breed is or isn't suitable for a novice. However generally I think they are I've had 3 Section D's over the years that I shared and we've had a few on the yard all of which were suitable for novices. They were all very sensible in traffic, etc one was a bolter if you wanted to canter in company but on his own was fine.

The main problem with Section D's is they can quickly become a nightmare in the wrong hands they need a firm hand. All 3 that I had would try to take the mick if they thought they could get away with it. They can pick up bad habits very quickly and easily as they are very intelligent (same as any horse really). You need to be firm handling and riding them and as long as you stick to that then I don't think you can go far wrong. It does of course depend on the individual you can get nightmare horses of any breed it's they way they've been handled/educated in the past.

We have a young one on the yard at the moment and he really does try to push the boundaries. He will trot off ridden in the school and is very strong he is also quite naughty on the ground. Has to be led in a chifney otherwise he'll drag you to the field! He will try to barge you, spin around in his stable if he doesn't want his tack on, etc. But I don't think he's had a great past he's on loan to the girl that has him now but before that he was on loan for a few years and was pretty much neglected just left in a field.

I certinaly wouldn't rule one out for a novice I know quite a few novices with Section D's as first horses and they get on really well but they are firm. Perhaps get something a little older like a 10-12 year old thats been there and done that and already has good manners?

Alfiem

Visit site
My sec D is not your "typical" welsh cob. He is well mannered and friendly and doesn't really have hang ups as such. He is, however quite sensitive and therefore I wouldn't say he is a novice ride, he's excellent in traffic and I'd let a novice plod along with him on a hack, but schooling wise, give him and inch and he'll take the p!! He is very, very laid back and doesn't have typical D movement, which is why we get nowhere in M&M classes, but he does very well in dressage due to his lovely rhythmical paces. And is a superb versatile allrounder. In fact if it wasn't for his passport I'd question the fact that he is a Welsh D at all!! - he's the coarser, cart horse type.
I wouldn't swap him for one of those really fine, sharp ones though - they are not my cup of tea at all, I just like a plod around the countryside and my sharer loves dressage, and M suits the bill for both!!:D

DSC_0581-1.jpg

DSC_0953.jpg

NeverSayNever

Visit site
have come back to this thread - my Sec D Mare is a darling,as previously posted. Fun, forward going ride, but safe.

Today I had a novice on her. Complete novice. Able to walk and trot and well balanced and quiet. I walked beside them to start with then said it would be ok to walk her to the end of the track and back - which is a dead end and totally enclosed, all of about 50 yards. They got to the end and my mare just took total advantage and took off back up towards us. The jockey was doing all the correct things and to their credit sat very well but the little madam had a look in her eye. We stopped her when she got to us and there was no harm done but its taught me that these ponies are very clever and WILL take advantage of a real novice rider. In comparison, the same rider used to do the same on another horse of mine, a TBx who would never have dreamed of such a thing and plodded along like a RS pro.

Wundahorse

Visit site
All the Welsh section D's i have known over the years are definitely not novice rides,or to handle.They can be very strong,sharp and with plenty of attitude.I have a D, who was my daughters pony,and she is not for novices,or anxious riders.She is lovely but sharp,and tends to absorb rider anxiety,which causes her to feel worried.She can be bargy too.I chose to keep her when my daughter grew to big and moved on to a WB.I did not really trust anyone to buy her,and handle her,fearing for her welfare if she got into the wrong hands,although there are plenty of people who could.I have a lovely girl who loans her at our yard,and sometimes i ride her,as I figured when my 27 year old Arab is retired,i will move on the my welshie.

Archiepoo

Visit site
I think that they are theyre own worst enemy tbh mine is what my grandad used to call a dishonest horse-you never know whats in his mind or how hes going to behave one day to the next! to anyone who says cobs are plods for novices -i dare you to ride my boy! in my opinion if you can ride a native you can ride anything!!!! :D

indie999

Visit site
Yes and No

How can you categorise, I know many people including myself who have them. Just depends on what has happened to them etc just like any other horse for sale.

If you are buying the essential is the horse or pony does what you need it to do and has brakes. Take someone experienced. Famous last words as I am still looking.

Loved my section D lives out 24/7, hardy, good size etc. I was very lucky. But I think to find any good horse has an element of luck just depends what us humans have done to it.

When I got mine someone said oh they are really stubborn.........no different to other horses???