What’s the obsession with the duns and buckskin

honetpot

Visit site
My true coveted first love, was a dilute dun mare with dark dapples, like something out of Thelwell and a turn of speed under a very large bottom. Then the dun Connemara brood mares, that were only about 13.2, with very workman like bodies that someone produced off spring that were elegant and sporty.
I had had two Highland duns, and have Connemara dark dun, they are so easy to show prep, I hardly ever wash them, and compared to a black Highland, which was often mistook for a Fell, distinctive. I have a dark dun Highland foal, destined to go grey, so I am going to spend a lot of time bathing in the future.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I love Buckskins and duns. Hopefully I'll have one someday. My bay has some characteristics of a dun (dorsal stripe, striping on legs, shading by the withers), so that's the closest I'll get for now ?

I'm Dun

Visit site
One of mine is dun. Hes absolutely beautiful. He has the lovely frosting in his mane duns can get and it just looks nice. I am not ashamed to admit I wouldnt have bought him if he was grey, which is the most common colour for highland ponies. Id still have bought him had he been black or bay etc though, just a hard no to grey!

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Ironically enough the first horse we tried to buy was a dun and we have always wanted one. However two of my older friends have forked out for nice dun/buckskin types and they are horrors. Yes they did pay more for the colour too! So I think I will stick to my white or bay ones.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I was doing a bit window shopping and saw a ad for a 23 year old horse Dun horse. There where 200 comments and a lot of where saying how lovely the color was. I thought you buy a horse That suits your riding abilities not on looks . Why are people so obsessed
Fraid I am guilty of that - love duns and buckskins and when I search for one do check temperament too. it is important but if you like the colour and want one, you will search the adverts for one and of course check out its suitability and and temperament. I think many are all guilty of including colour in their choice when horse shopping.

I personally would never buy a bay of black or coloured cob so exclude that out my search.

BBP

Visit site
Why do so few people seem to dislike greys?
I love greys to look at, I just don’t want the work! I’ve had two white greys and groomed for 4 big grey eventers/show hunters and it was waaayyyy more work than the bays. And having seen one die as a result of melanoma that aspect can sometimes seem like it’s inevitable with a grey.

Visit site
I've never been a fan of them to be honest. They never seem to get a proper gleam on their coats unlike blacks, dark bays and chestnuts. Same with palomino, cremello, pale chestnut etc.

Spotteds are a complete and utter NO for me. Wouldn't ever entertain one.

Multi-coloureds have to be well marked, even with a dark head and tail. This new trend of black/brown heads and tails with all white in-between is not pleasing to my eye.

I am also not a fan of huge white faces or gigantic white socks. Or blue eyes.

They have to have nice heads though. I won't have a big ugly head around the place. It's the one thing you see first over a stable door every day so you may as well have something you like!

Can't please me ???

Each to their own though. I do love a good grey!

As to Highland ponies - I'm not even going there with their every shade of dun imaginable! And some don't even stay dun they grey out ??? that's a whole new can of worms!

Visit site
Ahhh that's why you need a spotty grey. The gene that causes spotting is autosomally linked to one that is protective against melanomas ?

Nope! Nope! Nope! If it's grey it's grey! No spots! I don't even like the fleabits my horse is getting!

But yes, he does have melanomas. He has some under his tail, one below his ear in the crevice where the head joins the neck and I suspect one on either side of his jaw. He is fully retired now at 18yo and whilst he is fat, happy, well, eating and terrorising the ponies he can stay that way. The day he starts to go down hill I know the ones that I can't see on the inside have started to take over and I will call it a day. The harsh reality and downside of a proper grey.

Otherwise

Visit site
Ahhh that's why you need a spotty grey. The gene that causes spotting is autosomally linked to one that is protective against melanomas ?

Ah no, I hate spots, I can't stand the eyes and most of the ones I've met have had such ugly heads.

[153312]

Visit site
Nope! Nope! Nope! If it's grey it's grey! No spots! I don't even like the fleabits my horse is getting!

But yes, he does have melanomas. He has some under his tail, one below his ear in the crevice where the head joins the neck and I suspect one on either side of his jaw. He is fully retired now at 18yo and whilst he is fat, happy, well, eating and terrorising the ponies he can stay that way. The day he starts to go down hill I know the ones that I can't see on the inside have started to take over and I will call it a day. The harsh reality and downside of a proper grey.

Spotties that go grey just look grey.? Until you get up close and can see shell coloured/stripy hooves, mottled skin and white sclera

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I would never have actively chosen a spotted horse, but I would quite happily have her coat on any horse. It is interesting to look at, changes colour through the year, hides literally any dirt, is fine and soft even in winter, she grows enough mane to look ok but not enough to need any maintenance, and she's pretty.

Why wouldn't you buy a colour and coat type that suits you (aesthetically and/or practically)? I think people who buy coloured cobs with full feather are bonkers, but hey, each to their own.

TGM

Visit site
Why do so few people seem to dislike greys?

My daughter's first two ponies were grey and that put me off completely. Such a nightmare to get ready for outings in the winter, plus both had melanomas. Apparently more than 80% of greys will have melanomas at some point in their lives.