What’s the obsession with the duns and buckskin

Squeak

Visit site
My daughter's first two ponies were grey and that put me off completely. Such a nightmare to get ready for outings in the winter, plus both had melanomas. Apparently more than 80% of greys will have melanomas at some point in their lives.

I'm hearing this more and more and wonder what the documented research is for it. I've certainly known greys to have melanomas but I've also known other colours too as well.

oldie48

Visit site
Any excuse to get the pics out! Especially for AE, our lovely 13.2 connie by Templebready Fear Bui, I think you would have loved her. She could turn her hoof to anything except dressage but I think that was our lack of experience as rider was 7 when we bought her as a 5 year old. She excelled at polocrosse and went to the pc champs on a number of occasions.

Attachments

• kizzy2 copy.jpg
    kizzy2 copy.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 32

GreyMane

Visit site
Have posted this before. Taken in 2010, still think it's lovely and wish I'd tried to have a chat to the owner to find out its breeding. Could it be a Highland? The ears, dorsal stripe, stripy legs look really appeals to me. Maybe it reminds me of a dun I rode who was just a lovely, sturdy, march-along girl with great self carriage, even when she was very young. She always seemed a cheerful character. ☺️

dun-horse-copy.jpg

Visit site
Have posted this before. Taken in 2010, still think it's lovely and wish I'd tried to have a chat to the owner to find out its breeding. Could it be a Highland? The ears, dorsal stripe, stripy legs look really appeals to me. Maybe it reminds me of a dun I rode who was just a lovely, sturdy, march-along girl with great self carriage, even when she was very young. She always seemed a cheerful character. ☺️

View attachment 81951

Defos a Highland pony.

Cloball

Visit site
Huge vote for murky brownish dun horses here.

The palomino is very pretty but honestly you can’t even tell what colour she is today, she’s so revolting.

I did buy her because she was pretty but probably more that her breeding makes a pretty showy horse rather than her specific colour being the selling point - but it’s just as shallow a reason to buy one as colour.

I wanted a pretty, happy little pet to have in the field and make me smile, and she does that brilliantly. It was an unexpected bonus that she’s actually lovely to ride. No regrets here!

My favourite colour is liver chestnut, and one with white trimmings sounds just perfect.
Oh no see I prefer a proper orange chestnut with trimmings and a liver chestnut with no white at all except maybe a flaxen mane ?
Do dark points/dark hooves stand a better chance of being strong than socks / paler hooves, or is that a fallacy?
I'm pretty sure that's an old wives tale as is blue eyes being weak.

HashRouge

Visit site
I'm hearing this more and more and wonder what the documented research is for it. I've certainly known greys to have melanomas but I've also known other colours too as well.
I always wonder this. I mean, I'm not saying that it's wrong but I just don't see how they know? How do they know how many grey horses there are in total, for one thing?!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Why do so few people seem to dislike greys?

do you mean very few like them or dislike them? ?. I love them, lost a wonderful horse at only 11 because of them. Will never have another-there are virtually no realistic treatment options, it’s absolutely horrible. And while everyone will tell you they’re more likely to die from something else, when you lose one because of them, you are suddenly inundated with stories of horses dying with them.

McFluff

Visit site
I love duns and buckskins. Would have bought one if I’d found one when I was looking, but the only ones I saw weren’t right for me.
I ended up with a sooty palomino who’s lovely. Shiny, dapply and perfect for blending with mud stains.
I must admit when I was looking I wouldn’t consider greys or mainly white coloured. As much as I loved my mare, three hours prep on a dark winter night for a five min dressage test made me swear never again.

millikins

Visit site
I love duns and to a slightly lesser extent buckskins, especially if they're dappled. Here are my two, the one at the front is a Shetland, the one behind is whatever he is. I went to look at him because of his colour and size (potential driving) and he was so pitiful that he was coming home. I tease him about his football socks in the summer.
Isn't there an old saying that there's never a bad dun?Flo and Peter 1 Aug 21.jpg

KEK

Visit site
I love duns too, its my fave colour, followed by palomino.
When I bought my grey connie I asked the breeder about melanomas. She said she's only had them in homozygous greys. Nearly all hers are heterozygous as her stallions are dun and bay, and she hasn't had an issue. Dont know if this is true, but she showed me her 25 yo broodmare still going strong.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Plenty of references to 80% of greys over 15 years old online. I've never seen a melanoma on a non grey horse, only sarcoids that sometimes look similar.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Ah no, I hate spots, I can't stand the eyes and most of the ones I've met have had such ugly heads.

You haven't met mine, if he was solid colour he'd pass for a tb and he has a temperament to die for :)

B21I8499.jpeg

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Horses for courses
The risk of melanomas and they're a pain to keep clean. I'm surprised more people aren't trying to breed out grey.
Bbecause many of us love them as we find the boring colours too common. I have been out with my buckskin mare and she got the wows and, look at that colour horse. Not a second look to the bay or chestnut on the ride.

Abi90

Visit site
I love duns too, its my fave colour, followed by palomino.
When I bought my grey connie I asked the breeder about melanomas. She said she's only had them in homozygous greys. Nearly all hers are heterozygous as her stallions are dun and bay, and she hasn't had an issue. Dont know if this is true, but she showed me her 25 yo broodmare still going strong.

This is mostly correct. Homozygous greys are far more likely to get melanomas than heterozygous. The heterozygous ones lose their pigment a lot slower so melanomas develop much later/not at all (it’s far more technical than that). Breeding a grey to a grey is probably not a great idea if you want to avoid melanoma

HashRouge

Visit site
This is mostly correct. Homozygous greys are far more likely to get melanomas than heterozygous. The heterozygous ones lose their pigment a lot slower so melanomas develop much later/not at all (it’s far more technical than that). Breeding a grey to a grey is probably not a great idea if you want to avoid melanoma
That is really interesting! My grey is heterozygous (she had a chestnut foal) and has lightened very slowly. In fact she's 28 and you still wouldn't describe her as white in colour, she's more silver.

Squeak

Visit site
Plenty of references to 80% of greys over 15 years old online. I've never seen a melanoma on a non grey horse, only sarcoids that sometimes look similar.

Ah now I'm feeling ignorant. I'd thought that sarcoids and melanomas were the same thing. One bay I was thinking of was definitely a sarcoid and the other bay was a few years ago, I know it had to have it cut out/ operated rather than just liverpool cream or banding but I definitely wouldn't be confident enough to say it was a melanoma rather than a sarcoid.

[153312]

Visit site
do you mean very few like them or dislike them? ?. I love them, lost a wonderful horse at only 11 because of them. Will never have another-there are virtually no realistic treatment options, it’s absolutely horrible. And while everyone will tell you they’re more likely to die from something else, when you lose one because of them, you are suddenly inundated with stories of horses dying with them.
AHH, I didn't see the typo. It was supposed to say like; auto correct doesn't like me that's for sure
I'm reading snails comments the same as MoC is in that not many people dislike greys, but that's not how most people have responded!

Grey is usually described as a pigment disease from a genetics point of view.
I always think of it as such. Hence why I am actually serious about liking grey spotties. Diva is very pink skinned and het grey but only very small risk of melanoma because homozygous LP (though that comes with its own issues obviously - greater risk of uveitis and csnb etc- which does put me off another fewspot/snowcap etc.

Last edited:

LegOn

Visit site
From my point of view, as a leisure/amateur rider - who does this as a hobby basically, then doesnt every aspect of liking the horse come into the equation? Like a dark bay or shiny bay makes my heart skip a beat as they are just so beautiful but the same doesnt happen for me when I see a grey - so surely as long as the horse does everything else I want it do, I can be picky about the colour aswell, well because I like looking at it!

I never get the argument that they could be the most perfect horse for you or you are missing out if rule out a colour when searching, well maybe I am but I will never know because I would never go see a grey horse if/when I was looking!

If someone wants a dun, just because they are pretty - I see nothing wrong with that! I am with my husband because he is a wonderful person, but he is also hot! LOL!