What’s the obsession with the duns and buckskin

smolmaus

Visit site
I'm disturbed by how many people have liked this?? am I that annoying :p
no! it's because it's cute!! ?

I thought I had a terrible bias against appy/ spotty ponies (I think similar to a lot of people it is the eyeballs) but one little fella came onto the yard a few weeks ago and now I'm used to it he is a very beautiful boy and I am cured.

NinjaPony

Visit site
After a total of 13 years owning greys I would argue much of the appeal of a dun/buckskin is having a presentable horse most of the time, without having to spend several hours washing them….

Cloball

Visit site
As much as I love Highlands and their colours the naming system makes the genetics nerd in me cry ?
I've always ended up working with lovely giant filthy greys or equally filthy mostly white coloureds. I would like to appreciate them and the work that goes into them from a distance.

windand rain

Visit site
As much as I love Highlands and their colours the naming system makes the genetics nerd in me cry ?
I've always ended up working with lovely giant filthy greys or equally filthy mostly white coloureds. I would like to appreciate them and the work that goes into them from a distance.
Not sure why they are clearly dun with dorsal stripes, zebra markings and other primitive markings. Cream duns fade but stay a creamy colour even though they have no cream gene. Grey duns do grey out eventually too15749566_1673339026290092_1057323835_n.jpg
said foal at 7

Cloball

Visit site
Not sure why they are clearly dun with dorsal stripes, zebra markings and other primitive markings. Cream duns fade but stay a creamy colour even though they have no cream gene. Grey duns do grey out eventually tooView attachment 82028
said foal at 7
I think that's my point grey Duns and cream Duns can be the same thing ? all cream Duns are genetically grey + dun but not all grey Duns are called cream Duns.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I think that's my point grey Duns and cream Duns can be the same thing ? all cream Duns are genetically grey + dun but not all grey Duns are called cream Duns.
They should take more notice of the colour they are at birth before the greying hides the colour, or test them and report the genes.
Windandrain's little foal looks to have been born bay dun before he/she greys out.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Plenty of references to 80% of greys over 15 years old online. I've never seen a melanoma on a non grey horse, only sarcoids that sometimes look similar.
I have a bay horse with melanomas. And a grey with them too, they are 19 and 20 years old respectively. I have never lost a horse to melanoma, although I do know people who have.

[153312]

Visit site
There is some evidence to suggest that the incidence of melanomas in greys is higher but if melanomas do occur in a non grey they are more likely to be highly malignant.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm not a bit fan of dilutes or pale coloured horses but it wouldn't stop me buying one if it was the right horse....except for a cremello, there is nothing this side of hell that would make me buy one of those ??
I'm always more drawn to darker colours or patchy horses. I do have a sooty buckskin though...but it wasn't his colour that drew me...it's his eyes, they are there most incredible gold, like a hare ???20190702_203955_resize_27.jpgIMG-20210712-WA0001_resize_17.jpg

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I've had two duns in the past, both amazing ponies. No good horse is a bad colour and all that, BUT, you never get a bad dun (from my point of view anyway). I'd have another in a heartbeat.
I'm guilty of window shopping for duns almost everyday!!!

A bucket headed (sorry but he was fugly bless him!) dun Oirish riding school horse that broke my collarbone 35 years ago was definitely a wrong 'un!

lannerch

Visit site
A bucket headed (sorry but he was fugly bless him!) dun Oirish riding school horse that broke my collarbone 35 years ago was definitely a wrong 'un!
My bad riding accident was on a dun too had a bad head injury , it was not her fault though she tripped on roots , all the dun horses I have ever known including my current are saints but lm sure there are plenty of Baduns and I’ve been lucky

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I would love a dun, but wouldn't compromise on temperament (or price really) to get one. Some gorgeous examples on this thread, makes me really want a fluffy highland!

I used to have a spotty pony - the skin round her eyes wasn't spotty so she had such beautiful eyes, a lovely refined head and was a cracking, if slightly nutty pony.

Polos Mum

Visit site
My love of the small dun types started with this guy - one of the most truly magical horses I've had the pleasure to ride - brave and surefooted over the craziest of ground.

I was a large warmblood fan before this 14.2 chap changed my views entirely on what is fun.

Attachments

• Tau with giraffe.jpg
    Tau with giraffe.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 19

hollyandivy123

Visit site
the only vague conscious thing i do when considering the horse to buy is that i would prefer it not to be the colour of the one have just sold or lost my previous ones went from ............black to bay to grey to bay to piebald..............but i honestly look at the whole package, although i have always wanted a rose grey when i was a kid until i found out the went grey........

1636030719212.png