what are your views on the chifney bit?

pheobee

Visit site
just got a chifney bit for my extremly naughty mare (loading!!!!!) and every since we have put her in it, she's been perfect!! i was so surprised!! what is every ones views on this bit?
jo

pheobee

Visit site
oh i know! i only apply pressure if she tries to rear up, and she soon starts being good! she literally only wears her for about 10 mins :)

Nailed

Visit site
the chifney anti rear bit .. the most sure fire way to make a horse rear if not used properly.

As said they can be useful. should be used sparingly by an experiencer handler as not to damage the horse. Can cause some nasty injuries.

I personally think there vile. I avoid like the plague. but have used one many moons ago on a horse that used to bolt at the drop of a hat.
Lou x

Nailed

Visit site
as far as im aware you cant ride in them.. and im not sure why you would want too!!! there is a bitless chifney which is basicallly a hackamore of a diffrent design..

Loux

Visit site
as far as im aware you cant ride in them.. and im not sure why you would want too!!! there is a bitless chifney which is basicallly a hackamore of a diffrent design..

Loux

Could possibly be that sort of Chifney then, but the horse was also wearing a snaffle as well?! :confused:

Walrus

Visit site
Really useful. My pony has developed very bolshy attitude to coming in. Only to coming in mind you - not to being led in general, he's fine to turn out, show in hand and lead / handle in the school. Problem is that I only bring him in on a weekend - the rest of the time my YO brings him in. He tries to tank off and last weekend reared up when confronted. To make matters worse the track to the field is an ankle deep bog so the last thing you need is to be dragged over! He's been going out and coming in in the chifney every day since. I was home early yesterday and brought him in and he walked in like a lamb, such a good boy. Much easier and safer all round!

mini-eventer

Visit site
Well our yards turn out is quite away from the yard down a quite lane. However one field away is a pretty major duel carriage way. We have a couple of horses that are known to rear and/or tank off. They behave beautifuly with a chifney on. I have never used a chifney on my own horses and would like to think I will never have to, teaching them manners a from a young age. However in the real world things arn't perfect and I would rather my horse be under control and safe with a chifney on than getting away from its handler and injuring its self or someone else.

yeeharider

Visit site
would not be without mine have a bolshy 18.2 gelding who knows when he has it on and behaves but cannot be trusted without it just not safe for me or him. I know they can be lethal in the wrong hands know a chap who tied a horse in a lorry in one and broke its jaw when it paniced, but used correctly they are a useful piece of kit

yeeharider

Visit site
I would be suprised if a person was physically strong enough to break a horses jaw even with a chifney. I can see it happening if a horse is tied up in one or if someone lets go of the horse and it stands on the leadrope pulling against its-self

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I use one for loading Mac, and in the winter, for bringing him in at night as he is normally so keen to come in, that I can't hold him, even in a bridle. He walks like a lamb in it, and I don't think it has ever actually come into force on him.

I am always reading that "horses can break their jaw" with them. Does anyone actually know a horse that broke it's jaw in a chifney?

Fairy Dust

Visit site
I also use one for my mare when loading.....well used it once and haven't had to use it since, she now loads like an angel!! IMO they are perfectly safe and acceptable if used correctly and much better than risking half a tonne of horse rearing on top of you!! :)

Spring Feather

Visit site
Chifneys get the job done. I have one although I very rarely have to use it. Racehorses often wear chifneys over the top of their bits. They are for leading the racers and once jockey and horse are ready to go the handler detaches the lead from the chifney and the horse goes off and races in the chifney but it does not come in contact with the riders hands.

littlemisslauren

Visit site
I use a Chifney frequently. We have a couple of horses that can be dangerous to turn out, I would rather use a Chifney than be injured. They all know when they have it on and walk like angels.

During the bad weather we had a lot of ice.... everywhere. The only safe way to get the more excitable horses across the yard was to use the chifney.

tigerlily12345

Visit site
so chifneys are the ones you lead with right? you dont ride in them (as the bit)? and what are these dexter ring bits? i was looking at a photo but cant work it out?

Spring Feather

Visit site
so chifneys are the ones you lead with right? you dont ride in them (as the bit)? and what are these dexter ring bits? i was looking at a photo but cant work it out?
A dexter ring bit is 2 bits. The one which has the reins attached to and the other one which is a leading bit similar to a chifney. The difference is that the dexter ring bits are attached to one another whereas when you use a chifney it is a bit in its own right and not attached to the riding bit.