What breeds of horse do you NOT like?

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
I find it a bit weird how when someone says 'I don't like XXX breed' or 'I don't like XXX feature', some people immediately get huffy and defensive. Not everyone likes the same things. And disliking a feature or breed isn't a personal attack on your horse.

People freely tell me what they don't like about Standardbreds, which I accept. Each to their own. I don't even like half the Standardbreds I come across. Particularly the coloured ones, as I dislike colour in any breed. But if I go saying that in some circles then I'm discriminating (it has been said before, bizarrely). Having a personal preference is becoming a dangerous activity!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Having a personal preference is becoming a dangerous activity!

Not really....

Believe it or not, you can choose to take notice of people opinions or not.

It seems people are getting defensive about people getting defensive - I include myself as I know I've done that :D

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think it hugely depends what you do with your horse as to what "types" you like and dont. For example, I'm not a fan of cobby or heavier types just because I compete in eventing and show jumping etc. so they dont generally fit the bill. I prefer the sharper types with a bit of TB blood. Looks-wise, Im not a huge fan of pure arabs although I have had my fair share of part bred arabs, dont like shetlands purely because they're such a nightmare! I also am not a fan of warmbloods... I know thats a huge generalisation but I had one who was a total disaster mentally (stubborn as hell) and one I rode for a friend for a while was so damn opinionated it was well known for exploding into bronc's when it got bored. My current warmblood I was gifted, he is lovely I have to admit - was a dream under saddle however he has his moments to handle, one day he'll be a ploddy dream and then next he tanks off and acts like a ****! I just find them so damn opinionated in general to get on side, they always seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder. Whereas my TB x's always seem to have really willing personalities and do whatever I ask of them no questions asked.

Holding

Visit site
I don't think there are any breeds I dislike... but I am very shallow so plenty of horses I wouldn't own based on their looks!

I love a pretty head - dished is good, and I can't bear a Roman nose. Don't like blue eyes or too much feather or hair - I would never own a traditional hairy cob, but I do rather like the solid coloured, hogged and clipped show cobbies. I love Arabs and PREs and I like the looks of a Friesian but would never own one. Prefer solid coloured - ideally dark bay or black and wouldn't buy a grey (although I think they are beautiful) or mostly white coloured (because I think they are ugly).

I have just realised that I am far fussier about horses than I am about men.

Kafairia

Visit site
Oh now he is just gorgeous! Totally my type, what a stunner!

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you! He was the first horse I viewed when I was looking for a prospect eventer, and I've never looked back, and for sure, without any doubt he will not be my last TB / OTTB! :p

I'm very excited for our future, haha. :)

linperrie

Visit site
I dislike Tb' s only because I've heard too many health issues associated with them. I also dislike coloured cobs as when they are pulled out of a field they look mega tatty. However put the hairies in a show ring and they are beautiful with all the hair flowing in the wind. Just not for me thou. I'm really shocked by the amount of people who dislike Arabs. Mine is 75% Arab but I love them all..dish faced and everything!! Some beautiful ones shown here. I used to dislike Shetland but since being stables next to one I've changed my mind as he is a little cutie pie! For some reason I don't like big hunter types. God knows why. Maybe their height and huge heads intimidate me on my 15 hand Arab!! :)

claracanter

Visit site
I dislike piebald gypsy cobs....sorry, just my opinion.....but then again I'm a TB gal and I know lots of people don't like them either!!

DanceswithCows

Visit site
*thread necromancy!* ha, sorry but breedchat is what I like and I enjoyed this thread!

PREs and Fresians. I'm surrounded by stunt/film ppl and their friends and this seems to be pretty much all they use for riding and their whole community is like 'ooo, look at the pretty spanish horsey king of horses' blah blah and I'm just not feeling it. I think their rumps look weird and the rest of them is dull - ha! I like Lusos though, they look much better imo. As for friesians, they are just becoming plain weird. I love heavies, but unfortunately for me, shires and clydes seem to be going down this weird friesian route too so I don't think I would want one thesedays :'( I'm more on the suffolk/ardennes side of things.

I find QH's 'meh'. Also in the 'meh' category are connies and new forests.

Big bay and boring isn't my thing either but I'll make an exception for clevelands because they have a bit more bone and I like that noble roman nosed look, however, I think they look smartest as a team of 4 8) so I would want to drive rather than ride them. rolling about in a stagecoach pulled by four gleaming cleveland bays - oh yes...

Coloured cobs look good in a showring or pulling a waggon to appleby but I don't want to ride or own them anymore. Although the big bay borings are boring to look at they are a more comfortable ride I have to admit! There are a LOT of really, really cruddy poorly bred coloured cobs around and thats depressing. do LOVE a less feathered solid coloured type like a dales though <3

Haflingers - don't like the look of them. Supposed to be pretty like a barbie pony but I think they're overdoing it. I'd probably get on with their personality as I love native ponies but I just don't like the look.

Yeah I think that's all my negativity out now LOL

marotelle

Visit site
nope, arabs brilliant but you have to have the temperament to get on with an extremely intelligent animal. They would be towards the top of my wish list, also South American breeds, peruvians and criollos. Followed by QH's provided they didn't have health problems and Spanish. All breeds that want to work with you, co-operate and are intelligent.

Bottom I am afraid are Sec D's and haflingers. Definitely lacking in the co-operation department.

Ah the Criollos, They are wonderful,small compact,great fun!
The Brazilian "Mangalarga" which is their idea of an Andalusian is really quite horrid,narrow ,spindly and quite neurotic,or at least the ones I came across!Here in Europe I most deslike the french trotter;they have great big uglyheads built on short necks ,badly angled shoulders(made for driving and not riding)but I will have to admit ,they have the MOST forgiving temperament;the slower ones are often used for hunting in France;the standard of riding and care given these unfortunant horses is often appaling, yet They are so patient and kind.....
I have encountured a few vile Haffies,another breed that I consider are best driven....
A good tb who hasn't had his mind blown or an old fashioned Arab lovely, but they are few and far between .Otherwise I agree that most breeds have their good points and its down to individuals.

throughtheforest

Visit site
*thread necromancy!* ha, sorry but breedchat is what I like and I enjoyed this thread!

PREs and Fresians. I'm surrounded by stunt/film ppl and their friends and this seems to be pretty much all they use for riding and their whole community is like 'ooo, look at the pretty spanish horsey king of horses' blah blah and I'm just not feeling it. I think their rumps look weird and the rest of them is dull - ha! I like Lusos though, they look much better imo. As for friesians, they are just becoming plain weird. I love heavies, but unfortunately for me, shires and clydes seem to be going down this weird friesian route too so I don't think I would want one thesedays :'( I'm more on the suffolk/ardennes side of things.

I find QH's 'meh'. Also in the 'meh' category are connies and new forests.

Big bay and boring isn't my thing either but I'll make an exception for clevelands because they have a bit more bone and I like that noble roman nosed look, however, I think they look smartest as a team of 4 8) so I would want to drive rather than ride them. rolling about in a stagecoach pulled by four gleaming cleveland bays - oh yes...

Coloured cobs look good in a showring or pulling a waggon to appleby but I don't want to ride or own them anymore. Although the big bay borings are boring to look at they are a more comfortable ride I have to admit! There are a LOT of really, really cruddy poorly bred coloured cobs around and thats depressing. do LOVE a less feathered solid coloured type like a dales though <3

Haflingers - don't like the look of them. Supposed to be pretty like a barbie pony but I think they're overdoing it. I'd probably get on with their personality as I love native ponies but I just don't like the look.

Yeah I think that's all my negativity out now LOL

I've got to laugh but what do you like exactly?

I'm not a fan of sec D's, purely because the majority of them I have come across seem to have a bizarre character.

Last edited:

DanceswithCows

Visit site
I've got to laugh but what do you like exactly?

Most of the natives, i have exmoors and a shetland, love dales and highland too. Would love to think i could keep welshies in enough work! Arabs are cool, i also conceded clevelands, suffolks, ardennes and lusos in the first post. I like riding anything gaited and i like a mule....so, i do have options!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Arabs. I think probably because my main encounter with them was through one at the rs I used to help at and he spent more time refusing jumps than going over them and when he did jump it was like jumping a giraffe and was a spooky so and so too.

Super hairy coloured cobs. I think a hogged one looks smart but there is far too much hair everywhere.

Coloureds that are mostly white with the odd bit of colour I prefer mostly the darker colour with the patches being white

Tennesse walking horses. Know the training is half the problem but they don't look like horses and look uncomfortable to ride

Also not a fan of greys know this will be controversial as it's a lot of people's favourite colour but I prefer a nice bay with white markings. Think also the higher melanoma risk would put me off owning one.

Given the hysteria and how special my current one is I'm not sure i could cope with another D!

Last edited:

horselady

Visit site
You have gone and made Ted The Twit cry !, have you any idea how sensitive he is ?

DSCF3720_zpsmtvhik9j.jpg

I absolutley love Ted! Can't be doing with anything that is fine built, even though I used to ridee a thouroughbred it kind of taught me I prefer a shire to a thouroughbred. I am pretty much indifferent about warmbloods and a grey would drive me mad with our field! The only breed I would never have is an ISH. That is just because of an experience I had with one. Nothing against the breed.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Coloureds. Obviously not a breed, as you can get many breeds that are coloured but the whole two-tone thing just doesn't appeal to me.

Strangely enough, I do like a spotted horse. Just the way some brains work I guess :)

Wonder what you would think of my Pintaloosa who is both coloured AND spotted then ;)

I don't really have a particular type of horse I don't like but I wouldn't go for a traditntal hairy cob personally although I have met many nice ones, they just aren't my type. Also, I call Warmbloods 'dumb-bloods' for a reason... their brains just do not think quickly! There's a reason you don't see many out on the hunting field..!

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I don't seem to get on with Appaloosa's for some reason.

When I was a kid I went on a trekking holiday and my designated pony was an Appy, it was a thoroughly nasty little beast and in the end I had to be given something else.

Years later, I was looking to buy a horse, and went to see one, and it just took one look at me and put it ears back and swung its head as though to bite. That was a very quick viewing indeed!

More recently, I went to see one which was advertised as the "perfect family pony". It tanked with the owner on the end of a rope through the leccy fencing, and then once tacked up decided it wasn't leaving the yard - where it proceeded to nap violently and bronked. Horrid thing with a nasty piggy eye. That was another quick viewing! I couldn't wait to put space between myself and it (and the owner for that matter).

Shall avoid Appy's in future! (no offence to anyone that has one LOL). Its a real shame as they do look SO gorgeous!

Sorry to hear you've had bad experiences with Appy's. I have one and from experience they certainly need handling firmly but sensitively. They are very clever and if allowed to would easily walk all over someone but that's down to how they are trained. I've had my part bred Appy for eleven years and he is my horse of a lifetime and has a heart of a lion. He absolutely loves hunting with a passion but has many quirks. If he was for sale (which he never will be) and I listed all of his quirks I don't think anybody would buy him lol! I know him inside out though and wouldn't have him any other way. :)

Irishdiamond

Visit site
Purely visually but I'm not a fan of big heavyweight cobs with those big thick necks and hogged mane. (After a few experiences trying to lead them & not get my feet squished since they're hooves are like dinner plates)
I LOVE Connemara X's. I'd never rule out seeing a horse just because of their color or breed but we all have a preference of what we want. Personality matters most so if I found a brilliant heavyweight cob, I wouldnt rule it out.
I love the fine types with well defined heads but these usually come with an attitude to match. As for color I love every color but appolosa but that's just being picky.
I've never wanted a Grey mare but my two favorite horses are exactly these!! So now my heart's set on getting one, someday!

horselady

Visit site
I really would not swap my cob for anything for all she can be a giant pain in the neck. I really have to see some leg on a horse though, matchstick legs are no good for me.

Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site
Arabs. I think probably because my main encounter with them was through one at the rs I used to help at and he spent more time refusing jumps than going over them and when he did jump it was like jumping a giraffe and was a spooky so and so too.

Coloureds that are mostly white with the odd bit of colour I prefer mostly the darker colour with the patches being white

Tennesse walking horses. Know the training is half the problem but they don't look like horses and look uncomfortable to ride

!

:D Arabs don't see the point in doing many things, they can do it, they know how to, but often they just see no point in it :) Most of my arabs thought jumping was a stupid idea, and as for lunging ...

Coloureds: I bred Paints. I only like overos and bred specifically for that pattern.

Walkers: To ride a flat footed one is to know them. So incredibly smooth, and fast, you can go all day and not know it. Fab horses, as characters too.

What do I not like, types, rather than breeds, can I re-phrase that and answer what wouldn't I have in my paddocks?

Anything with excessive hair.
Anything that is cow patterned.
Anything that has big feet, or is just big all over - big feet = mud, I do not allow mud here :D and I have shoulder issues and am small, big horses are just too much for me to deal with.
and lastly - which makes the previous redundant,

anything that trots, because 40 years of them have crippled me.

Last edited:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Oh...and, also I don't like those ones that fly or have horns. I'm really afraid of heights and getting bridles over that horn would be really really difficult.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Im another who isnt a big fan of Appaloosa's, dont know why. Also not into cobs, just not my type. Not keen on pure Arabs (but do quite like part Arabs). Ive also never fancied riding any draught type, I appreciate them for what they are but they just dont do anything for me. I prefer Sporty types (and ideally grey! Never had a bad grey).

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
We all know what our favourite breeds are, but do you have a breed that you just don't like? And why...?

Not like is a bit strong - more like which breeds would I not buy or choose and I will only discuss ones suitable for me as some are too small so pointless mentioning
them.

Don't like warmbloods............................... bit temperamental (from caring for some) and find they are very ordinary looking.
Arabs ................................. too hot headed and legs to thin for my needs also to flighty
Traditional cobs ............................... don't do anything for me
Clydesdales .............................. a bit like a bus too big and thick set
Shires .....................................same as Clydesdales.
pure TB.......................................... too high maintenance

With me it isn't what breeds i don't like but more they are not suitable for my needs so I would not choose them if buying another horse

Last edited:
Visit site
ARABS!!!!!!!

Oh lordy don't get me started I DESPISE them! They look like someone bashed them in the head with a frying pan! and as for their necks, well if you want a horse that looks like an inverted camel it's fine I guess.....(!)

Also, the only person I've ever known who owned an arab was a total ****. She'd ride past our field making vile, rude comments about our geriatric old shetland, purely because her bloody stupid horse was scared of it and she was too poor of a rider to use her leg and growl at it to hassle its skinny arse along before it got whacked with a whip!

Tbh though apart from arabs, I like pretty much everything: don't like what's been done to quarter horses, though, but they are actually unhealthy, which is what I object to. I'm sure they have fine temperaments.

Personally my favourite breeds are Akhal tekes, Appaloosas, New Forests and traditional cobs, but if it's got a nice personality i'm not really fussy!

Feival

Visit site
Same here. Don't like Knabstruppers either. They never look smart IMO.

I don't like Fjords or Haffies and not a fan of TBs really unless well muscled.

I like horses and ponies with a short back, chunky head, and a nice thick tail!

Not a breed but also don't like buckskins, duns or greys (especially on horses). I'm fussy!
You wouldn't like either of mine then, I have a flea bitten grey and a seal brown buckskin roan.

Shady

Visit site
ARABS!!!!!!!

Oh lordy don't get me started I DESPISE them! They look like someone bashed them in the head with a frying pan! and as for their necks, well if you want a horse that looks like an inverted camel it's fine I guess.....(!)

Also, the only person I've ever known who owned an arab was a total ****. She'd ride past our field making vile, rude comments about our geriatric old shetland, purely because her bloody stupid horse was scared of it and she was too poor of a rider to use her leg and growl at it to hassle its skinny arse along before it got whacked with a whip!

Tbh though apart from arabs, I like pretty much everything: don't like what's been done to quarter horses, though, but they are actually unhealthy, which is what I object to. I'm sure they have fine temperaments.

Personally my favourite breeds are Akhal tekes, Appaloosas, New Forests and traditional cobs, but if it's got a nice personality i'm not really fussy!

As an Arab owner i am actually quite offended by your use of the word despise in relation to them, don't like them by all means but to despise them based on an extreme show look and a woman you don't like is bizarre. You have obviously never ridden or handled a good one and a quality Arabian is not skinny, quite the opposite in fact. Most horses are scared of Shetlands and the way forward with an Arab is not to whack it with a whip, jesus :(

rachk89

Visit site
As an Arab owner i am actually quite offended by your use of the word despise in relation to them, don't like them by all means but to despise them based on an extreme show look and a woman you don't like is bizarre. You have obviously never ridden or handled a good one and a quality Arabian is not skinny, quite the opposite in fact. Most horses are scared of Shetlands and the way forward with an Arab is not to whack it with a whip, jesus :(

Sorry but this thread is about breeds people don't like and a lot of people have also mentioned Arabs as breeds they don't like. If it offends you because someone has a different opinion I would suggest not reading it? They are entitled to despise them if they want. That is their opinion and they can have that for whatever reason. I don't care that lots of people hate greys, I can see why, I own one. Don't care that lots of people hate warmbloods even though I own one. Can't all like the same things. :)

I wouldn't ever buy an Arab, tb or chestnut horse to be honest. Don't like the build of Arabs (I would be far too heavy for one) and I no longer trust anything tb or chestnut to ride after a chestnut tb broke my leg. My reason may seem bizarre to you and it is a bit but I just can't trust them. A negative experience can really put you off something for little reason. I hated alsations for years because one broke my tooth. Finally met a nice one and it changed me. That may be all diva needs, a more positive experience but everything has been negative. Never going to like something with only negativity about it.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Sorry but this thread is about breeds people don't like and a lot of people have also mentioned Arabs as breeds they don't like. If it offends you because someone has a different opinion I would suggest not reading it? They are entitled to despise them if they want. That is their opinion and they can have that for whatever reason. I don't care that lots of people hate greys, I can see why, I own one. Don't care that lots of people hate warmbloods even though I own one. Can't all like the same things. :)

I wouldn't ever buy an Arab, tb or chestnut horse to be honest. Don't like the build of Arabs (I would be far too heavy for one) and I no longer trust anything tb or chestnut to ride after a chestnut tb broke my leg. My reason may seem bizarre to you and it is a bit but I just can't trust them. A negative experience can really put you off something for little reason. I hated alsations for years because one broke my tooth. Finally met a nice one and it changed me. That may be all diva needs, a more positive experience but everything has been negative. Never going to like something with only negativity about it.

but to 'despise' a breed of horse? I have fairly strong opinions but I can't despise any breed of a species that have been part of my life since I was a kid.