What do you all do for jobs and how do they fit in with horses?

SWE

Visit site
Just being nosey really 😊

People often make comments about me being mad working full time (8-5, Mon-Fri) and having 2 horses totally on DIY with no assistance.... But I don't think that's particularly crazy!

Reassure me people... Tell me about your crazy lives and how your jobs fit in with your horses!

Also love hearing about crazy out there jobs that people have 😊

meesha

Visit site
Self employed, leave yard by 8.30/9am to go to clients, get back to yard 4-7 depending where I work, sometimes have Friday off!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I am a special needs assistant - I work til 2pm then dash up, poo pick/ride a pony before picking my children up at 3.30pm. Some evenings I manage to ride with eldest son, moreso in the summer. 3 nights a week I also work 6-10.15pm. I am on DIY but share duties with a very good friend otherwise it wouldn't happen!!

Equi

Visit site
I work in a independent domicile so do 24hr shifts. So basically over two weeks i do 6 shifts then i get a week off then back to the start. Tbh i dunno how anyone works 9-5 lol i would die. I have to do a fair bit of extra time for my job such as training and meetings etc, but its still the ideal job.

I have assisted DIY so he gets turned out in the morning (cause im lazy basically) and he has full livery on my work days. My home herd work into my routine, but they live out mostly so its not much hassle anyway.

GTRJazz

Visit site
I am an Engineer testing cars for a living, the horses are within walking distance from work so I see them early in the morning and can ride in my lunch "hour" in the winter
If I get in early enough I can finish at 3.00pm . I also live only 5mins drive from both work and horses.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I'm a computer programmer, not great for riding as its full-time 9-5:30+. On the positive side I can do it from anywhere with decent broadband so it's allowed me to live where I want and have my horses at home.

BBP

Visit site
Won’t put my exact job but it involves saving the world (full time). I get the luxury of flexitime so tend to work either 0730 til 1600 or 0900 til 1730 depending on if I try to ride before or after work. There are 4 horses to look after between 2 of us, although I only have one to ride. It’s pretty simple as they live within walking distance but I do have to cross a road and ride in the dark in the winter. The tricky bit is fitting in workouts for myself, and getting the horses done when I’m on duty (on call shift lasts 24 hours a day for 7 day period which I am rostered up about one week in every 5 at the moment).

Puzzled

Visit site
Teacher...contracted to 2 days per week but try and do supply on the other days as much as possible! Horses at home so relatively easy to look after as they just tend to 'go with the flow!'

Hannahgb

Visit site
I have two horses on full DIY, at yard for 6am, at work 8-4 then back up the yard until 6.30-7 Mon-Fri. Then oncall at weekends

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
postdoctoral research scientist. down to one full time job now, first time in about ten years I havent also held down a further part-time job on top . I have a 90 min round commute daily but also have flexi time and generous holidays. dogs and horses fit in but I dont compete and ride when I can-ponies are both natives and close to home which helps.

AFB

Visit site
I'm a 9-5 on DIY although pay for turnout in the mornings, because 1 I'm not a morning person and 2 I'd be battling 45 mins of traffic for a 2 minute job

Alibear

Visit site
9-5:30 Mon-Fri , full livery. It's the deal I made with my family that to have a horse it would go on full livery so I can still do the family stuff. I did triathlons whilst I was horseless and that took up a lot of hours each week and was constant running from A-B so I'm enjoying the change of pace.

ihatework

Visit site
Long explanation shortened - I’m a self employed project manager who tries very hard to only take on flexible clients so horses can fit in!

That said I only have time/energy/motivation for one in work - currently on DIY.
I do everything in the morning, including exercise and also turn out for someone else.

I start work 9.30 ish on days I’m at home and then work as late as needed. My horse gets put to bed for me.

Also got a couple in the field but they are pretty self sufficient and checked/Hayed by the landowner - I see them 2-3 times a week.

zola89

Visit site
My horse is on DIY and I work 9-5 with over an hour commute each way. The yard is 5-10 minutes from home. Mon-Fri I'm at the yard 7-7.30am in the winter, then to work and then back to the yard usually about 6.15pm and will end up staying till 7.30/8pm or 8.30/9pm if I ride. I try and ride at least twice during the week (plus weekends) in the winter and 3/4 times during the week during the summer. Sometimes I think I'm crazy but other than eating dinner very later, it works! Hubby works away during the week so I can take as long as I like!

Batgirl

Visit site
I work 9-5. I have mine on 5/2 though so my routine is simply to finish work and go and ride :) It's bliss.

I did used to work 9-5 and be on DIY and a friend would turn mine out Am and I would bring in hers Pm so again used to finish work and go ride and muck out.

I don't have any other responsibilities though so got an easy life.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Work from home in a performance management/data role, full time hours but pretty flexible, occasional weekends on call.

Fits VERY well with the horses, not the job I ever expected to be doing but it allows me to keep 2 at DIY and ride both daily, plus easy to step out for vet visits etc. I doubt I could afford to keep one if I had to be on full livery so this really works for me. Have 2 retirees in the field too but OH currently does most checks on them as they are next to his house, I see them a few times a week.

Previously had an hour+ commute each way working in a health service management role. Only had one horse of my own then but looked after another on hunting livery and was riding a third, that was a bit of a killer as I had to be away from the yard by 6.30 am (having ridden one) in order to get somewhere to park :p

wingedhorse

Visit site
I am a Chartered Accountant and work in Internal Audit for an Insurance firm.
Horses are on livery 35 minutes from home (closest ideal yard). Work is 20 minutes from home and 20 minutes from yard.

I tend to ride both Tuesday to Thursday 6-9am and get to work for 9.45am. I ride both at weekend. I have a sharer who hacks Mondays and Friday.

I do gym classes before / after / lunchtime 4 times a week. I run Monday nights. I leave work fairly late to miss traffic.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Another 9-5:30'er, commute is a 3 hour round trip but thankfully only do that twice a week now and work from home 3 days!

I've got three on DIY currently, but only two in full work, though with their current behaviour I'm retiring till summer :lol:. Yard is 10 mins from my house, so when I'm at home it's bliss, at the yard for 8am, home for before 9am, lunch time I pop up and either it's my day to bring in or I will do some jobs so I've more time to ride later, then finish and at the yard for 5:45-6pm, home for 8:30'ish. When I'm in the office I'm at the yard ideally for 6:30am and leave by 7:30, back at around 7pm and leave generally before 9pm.

I live on my own so only have myself to please with meals and housework :eek:, so eating late and leaving it all till the weekend is fine in my book :lol:. Job is interesting for me but my friends tend to glaze over and say it's like Chandler out of Friends :lol:, I'm in Regulatory Affairs in the Medical Device industry.

RubysGold

Visit site
I do dog walking Monday to Friday. Working roughly 10am-3pm though that's not exact.
And then I work in a wetherspoons part time, if I do 6 till whatever time then I can do the horses myself. If I do weekend daytimes I get someone just to fetch the horses in or out for me 🙂

emfen1305

Visit site
I work in a university in a Careers Service from 8:30 - 4:30 and keep Toby on DIY 10 mins from home but an hour from work (on a good day!). I pay someone to turn him out in morning as I would be driving in the wrong direction in traffic and then luckily my friends get him in at night in the winter as they are there a good hour earlier than me and there are only 3 in the field. I repay them when I can by doing jobs and haynets, turning out at weekends, clipping etc but luckily he is a good boy and would probably bring himself in! People at work have just got used to it now and luckily my manager accepts the fact that I basically have a child so can book time off with short notice for vets, farriers etc. Not what I thought I'd be doing with a Chinese degree but it pays for Toby and I like the work!

Amye

Visit site
I design and give online training for our customers, full time. Hours are mainly flexible but I work normally 7.30-3.30. Before we got the dog i used to do the horse DIY with no assistance, now we have the dog horse is turned out and brought in for me as I need to walk the dog in the morning and don't have time to do both! When it's lighter I'm hoping to leave the horse out and just bring him in when I get up there (I go up when OH is back from work so he can look after the dog) but ATM all the other horses are on bring in and get brought in around 3 so mine won't stay out calmly by himself! Dog does sometimes come up with me but he won't settle while I ride so if I want to ride I have to wait really!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
If I told you I’d have to kill you.... :D

I work full-time in a National strategy / delivery role. I have flexi-time which is useful but I also don’t have set working times and every week is different. I travel away (nowhere exciting) or spend long days going to meetings so sometimes overnighters and sometimes leave house at 5.30am and get home at 8.30pm. I don’t get paid overtime.

Because I need flexibility week on week I pay a friend to do my horse Monday to Friday and I do him at weekends. She does one day for free as I do hers on a Sunday so she can have one horse free day a week. If she’s away or ill work is usually flexible enough that I won’t travel that week or just get another friend to cover the odd day.

Today I’m working from home which I do a lot in between travelling which is very useful.

mums the groom

Visit site
I work in an office with a very understanding boss, knows with children & horses not in the office till 9-30 every morning. then back every evening for horse jobs, rides etc. just have to be super organised and have a time schedule that's very tight.

atropa

Visit site
I’m a cleanroom tech at a biopharma company. We have a bit of flexibility in our start time, I usually do either 8-4 or 9-5 but sometimes do an early shift and get away early. I also work one Sunday every week and am on call one week out of five.
It’s a 7 minute drive from home to work and a 35 minute drive from home to yard (like someone else said, nearest yard that is suitable for my special needs horse). I have 2 on assisted DIY, meaning they get fed and turned out for me in the morning. I can put them on full livery for days or weeks at a time if I need to.
It works out okay for fitting in work and horses. Luckily my boss is also horsey, so is generally understanding about me taking holidays for vet/farrier appts or working my time flexibly, but I try not to take the mick. I’d like the commute between yard and work/home to be shorter, but it’s a compromise I need to make.