What do you class as too hot

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I took Rio for a short, shady walk yesterday. It was probably 26 degrees at the time. Rio grew up in South Africa though, and is a very fit collie who is walked properly at least three times a day, rain, snow or shine.

It is about what they are used to, how conditioned they are to handle extreme temperatures and their general fitness levels. So many people hardly walk their dogs in rain or grey conditions and then drag them out when it’s sunny. And then are surprised when the dog is unwell.

But then again, I’ve seen people walking in this weather who look like they’ve hardly been outside in their lives and you do wonder if they are going to be surprised when they get sun stroke, sun burn and dehydration.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i had to pop out yesterday afternoon and the temp in my car said 31.....i saw a woman walking a golden retriever on the pavement she was carrying a dog ball thrower as well!!! , i felt like stopping and telling her how stupid she was but chickened out. poor hot dog..

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Mine were walked first thing yesterday, rest of the day they were just in the house with access to the garden, though I had to bring the GSD in at one point as she was lying in full sun and verging on overheating, and they are supposed to be an intelligent breed !

Yesterday there was a post from local agricultural show with pictures of dogs visiting the show, yes they were reminding people to keep dogs hydrated and had provided a watering area, but it was 27c, why would you take your dog. Then this morning report in local paper of a labrador taken from a car by police after concerned passers by called them. Dog was taken to a vet where it's temperature was found to be dangerously high, but has recovered. Owner returned after an hour, she had apparently been shopping in Primark which was obviously more important than her dog. Police statement said the owner had been reported for the offence.

Dopeydapple

Visit site
I do dog walking too and also say no once it gets to 24 degrees, over 20 I tend to judge on the individual dogs. I've informed everyone that I'm not walking anything at lunch time next week.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
I always walk very early so it doesn't affect me, however I think you can walk in hotter temperatures if you have a fit dog and walk in shaded areas with pond/river access.

In years gone by we have literally walked in the river. I've stuck some jelly shoes on and we just walk in the river the whole way.

maisie06

Visit site
I've Trained mine in the woods this morning, Lovely and cool and shady and we did lots of steadiness training, Just learning to sit and not move is more mentally tiring for a Spaniel than hunting or retrieveing!! They'll come out with me tonight for a potter around the fields, lots of heelwork and sitting again all on grass, and we'll probably walk up a few bunnies again dogs will not be allowed to chase and will be expected to sit and watch them or heel towards and away from them...

I have seen loads of dogs out on the hot promanade today when driving home along the seafront - Idiot owners just don't get it.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I was entered at an agility show today with classes in the afternoon. I went as it is very local and she was booked in to be measured but we didn't run. She was willing but I wasn't. 29 degrees when I got there at 1.15 and 30 when I left an hour or so later after chatting to friends. Now sitting in the house with fans going, (watching Silverstone) and can't get the house below 29. I really don't like this.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I took Blue out first thing. His morning walk is usually the shorter one but today it was the longer one, because of the temperature.

Pipps

Visit site
Your pictures (and dogs of course) are gorgeous Moobli.
I think it's very subjective to the dog and where/when you'll be walking them. I've been walking my Spaniel early morning and sticking to nice cool damp grass, although since last night she's been very calm and subdued rather than her usual scatty, bouncy self so taking it a bit steadier and she has a cooling matt to lay on in the house.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
For the love of God, does nobody brush their dogs any more? I'm seeing so many Huskies/Malamutes/GSDs waddling along with most of their winter coat still hanging out of them ? and all overweight as well....

My youngest is currently losing her puppy coat, all it takes is ten minutes a couple of times a day to run your hands through it and take the worst of it out. Must be unbearable in this heat.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I start to get precious at around 20 degrees and she'll be walked early and late when cooler and they are lesser walks. She's a collie and would go all day every day but I disagree and as i have the final say she has to sit out the hot days and put up with it!

I despair at people walking there dogs in 24+

fankino04

Visit site
For the love of God, does nobody brush their dogs any more? I'm seeing so many Huskies/Malamutes/GSDs waddling along with most of their winter coat still hanging out of them ? and all overweight as well....

My youngest is currently losing her puppy coat, all it takes is ten minutes a couple of times a day to run your hands through it and take the worst of it out. Must be unbearable in this heat.
I couldn't spend any time with the local Malamute owners group as they all thought they were experts, had the worst behaved dogs ever and always massively overweight (coz they are the biggest of the sled dogs don't you know) I do blame the weight thing again a bit on breed clubs and Kennel club as they seem to want them bred that way. My first girl was Canadian bred and if you put her next to my UK kennel club one you would question if she was Malamute or husky lol.

fankino04

Visit site
I start to get precious at around 20 degrees and she'll be walked early and late when cooler and they are lesser walks. She's a collie and would go all day every day but I disagree and as i have the final say she has to sit out the hot days and put up with it!

I despair at people walking there dogs in 24+
I did a lunch time visit to a collie today who really couldn't get his head around why we weren't going out the front door for a walk, the owner may come home to an accident as he refused to go to the toilet in the garden as "it is walking time" lol

blackcob

🖖
Visit site

I cannot understand this, quite apart from any welfare reasons, if I see a tuft, I am compelled to pluck it. How can people not?!

Annette4

Visit site
Ginny isn't a fan of being brushed and it's something I'm working on so I've spent the last few weeks sneaking out tufts when she's asleep (I'm met with a warning smile when she's awake) but I certainly couldn't leave her despite the grumps.

Odyssey

Visit site
Do they actually work?

Yes, they work very well, I highly recommend them. It's probably my best doggy buy, I don't know why more people don't buy them. I bought a Prestige one, which was a lot cheaper than the Easidri ones that are often recommended.

I obviously don't take my dog out when it's hot, I just put it on him if we walk in the woods when the temperature is safe but I'm worried that it might get warmer, or for late evening walks when it's still muggy. My dog feels lovely and cool underneath it. If we're going for more than a walk round the block, I take a thermos drinking bottle of cold water with me, so I can keep it "topped up", they dry out as the water evaporates.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I verty rarely use a brush, just my hands, and even when I do, it's not optional, the dog can hold a ball or eat a snack or whatever, but it's not optional to stand and be groomed. Even the non compliance ones come to like it eventually.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
This seems odd to me. 20C is not that hot unless her walk involved ball throwing and really warmed her up. I just wonder where she left her in the house and did that get very warm so she didn't cool off. In the high temperatures we have had recently we have made sure never to leave the dogs in the house with doors and windows closed. One of us is always here so the house is fully opened up and fans on.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
This seems odd to me. 20C is not that hot unless her walk involved ball throwing and really warmed her up. I just wonder where she left her in the house and did that get very warm so she didn't cool off. In the high temperatures we have had recently we have made sure never to leave the dogs in the house with doors and windows closed. One of us is always here so the house is fully opened up and fans on.

It’s plenty hot enough for a flat nosed dog. Certainly I won’t take Jack out if it’s any warmer than 19 degrees.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I just saw a Frenchie being walked in a cool coat, blowing out its' backside and owner stopped to talk to someone and it just did a NOPE and lay down on its side in the middle of a footbridge. Phone says it's 24 out.

Added another obese, very lame Labrador to my collection of dickhead owners last night, when it was still sitting at about 28.

Callieann

Visit site
My two working dogs usually get exercised about four times a day. Twice on the lead, and twice free running and training in fields. When it's too warm they only get lead walks in the woods. I usually get the dog pool out in the garden and they love to play in that. Keeps them cool and uses up energy at the same time

fiwen30

Visit site
We’ve been homebirds for the past week, it’s just not getting cool enough even by evening time to feel comfortable going out. The couple of times we went for a slow, 4-beat, lead walk around the estate at 9pm, Rogan has still been getting too panty for my liking. He’s a double-coated, older lad, but needs to be gently kept moving to help his joints. We’re between a rock and a hard place with this weather!