what do you do when it's raining?

blood_magik

Visit site
It's absolutely bucketing down (always seems to when I have a day off) so no riding for me today :(
I had to settle for giving him a good groom and spending some qt with him instead - he ignored me in favour of his haynet :rolleyes:

What do you all do when it's miserable outside? Do you ride anyway?

I don't mind riding in light rain but I draw the line when it's blowing a hooley and the rain is horizontal :D
Horsey doesn't like getting wet either :rolleyes: he'd rather go around a puddle than get his feet wet :eek:

Im such a wimp :p

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I melt if I ride in the rain!

:eek:

Have you a tack room you can organise? I'm always having to do mine once a month as I start with good intentions, but then everything gets chucked about when i'm in a rush.....!

That...or watch vids on youtube...

:D

shorexhorse

Visit site
I can't bear to go out in even light rain because me and the ponio both hate it. I do lots of thorough cleaning of horse, stable and tack, then I clean his brushes, and my boots, and then the walls or anything else I can find haha

canteron

Visit site
What would I do if it rained here .....

Dance, sing, be v v happy!!

The ground is hard and everything is going lame, there is no grass, still feeding hay, no sign of rain ever. So just cherish it!!

blood_magik

Visit site
The tack room is so clean it's scary so I groomed him, tidied his box, redid his water and haynet and made up feeds :rolleyes:
Then I called it a day and went home - think it was a good decision as it's still bucketing down and doesn't look like its going to stop anytime soon.

I'm saving my tack for when I'm on nightshift next week :eek: 2 saddles and bridles should keep me occupied for a few hours at least :D

Trish C

Visit site
Myself and Monty have our first lesson this evening (with a fantastic Dutch dressage instructor) and I've been so excited about it all week. It is POURING out of the sky but I do not care, I'm having my lesson!!

We normally hack out if it's raining as Monts isn't a big fan of schoolwork in the rain (gets really grumpy and lazy), but he doesn't mind hacking in it so much. If we didn't ride in the rain here we'd never get on our horses :rolleyes:

Oh well, those two weeks of summer were lovely while they lasted. Back to winter until next May I suppose.

Jane_Lou

Visit site
Rain? What is this stuff you speak of ;)

I would be so happy if it rained I would be outside loving it - I look llike a lobster today afer teaching this morning and then spending the afternoon gardening :D

blood_magik

Visit site
Rain? What is this stuff you speak of ;)

I would be so happy if it rained I would be outside loving it - I look llike a lobster today afer teaching this morning and then spending the afternoon gardening :D

The ground is hard and everything is going lame, there is no grass, still feeding hay, no sign of rain ever. So just cherish it!!

I would quite happily send some to you - my rates are very reasonable ;)

Visit site
I'm a mean cow - It's tipping down here and I have just bathed my Welsh Cob youngster! The rain did half the job for me! But in my defence he is now in a stable with a nice big fluffy straw bed with a fleece rug on to help him dry off before he gets a stable rug on to keep him clean for the night!

I ride when it's raining provided that the ground isn't too slippy but I chuck on my work tack as that is synthetic and used to getting drenched - you'd be surprised at how many beasties a race saddle fits! I've had it on everything from my 17.2hh TB to my 40in Shetland Pony hehehe! My nice spangly show saddles and bridles stay indoors.

Trish C

Visit site
Noooooo! RI just called to say she doesn't want to teach in the rain. WIMP! Gutted - prob won't be able to get a lesson now for another two weeks (been waiting for weeks already!) :(

That's it, I'm officially completely sick to the back teeth of rain now. I am going to go outside and shout at it until it goes over to torture those of you who actually want it.

Then I'm going to go and school Monty anyways! Oh and of course, now RI has rung, the rain has stopped and the sun has magically appeared. Literally in the last few seconds. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Sophia.

Visit site
Have an indoor school, so ride anyway. I will hack in the rain, but tend not too if absolutely torrential but if it is just normal rain, then don waterproof trousers and coat and head out anyway.

For summer rain, horse remains un-rugged and just has to tough it out - there is shelter in their field anyway.

jaspejoo

Visit site
if its light rain, we brave it, but only in the school incase the heavens open and we need a quick exit back to the stable :) mine is a wimp in the rain...galaxy just pulls a "are you joking face" :D

jaspejoo

Visit site

Have to agree with canteron....would love a week of overcast days and chucking it down at night to soften this ground up :D

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I much prefer riding in the rain than when its really hot and sunny - can't bear the washing off and coping with the flies!

We've had loads of rain over the last few weeks, along with a lot of wind and now its dried up again. The fields have grown like you wouldn't believe, and the ground is fantastic - we had five riders on a two hour XC lesson today, and the ground hasn't cut up at all, but was lovely and springy - quite rare in the boggy Pennines!

Gilbey

Visit site
I never ride in the rain now, I used to run a riding school and went out on the hour every day of the year. The chilblains on the thighs were not nice! So I do my nags now now in the comfort of their boxes and go in and read the H&H!!

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
I dont mind the rain but me and cobby dont like wind - brings out all the scary monsters in the hedgerows and reduces ability to hear any traffic coming round the lanes. And today the wind in the hills is howling !

NicoleS_007

Visit site
I usually ride anyway or wait until it dies down to a mizzle. It is really windy at our yard anyway as its really flat and arenas are right beside the motorway so when it p*sses down its bloody cold!! Luckly my mare doesnt seem to mind the rain just a bit spooky when it comes to wind. But my last gelding hated rain, napped if he felt a mizzle of rain so one day i decided id had enough of him, tacked up and went out in the heavy rain. He bucked, walked backwards and bounced on the spot for about 10 mins, then eventually realised he either had to go forwards and keep warm or stand and get soaked anyway :p We never had problems with rain again lol ... but luckly today its our day off so i tack cleaned and horse stood in the field in the rain all day :D

Pedantic

Visit site
Have some of the best rides in the rain, most of the ar******s are under their rocks, but apart from that there is just something special about just you and your beasty out in the rain on a warm day :)

rubyrumba

Visit site
I have had mine since they were foals and they are finally 3 so when I start to ride them I won't care what the weather is doing! (We do have an indoor school though!)

w1bbler

Visit site
I live on Dartmoor - if I didn't ride in the rain I wouldn't ride (saying that we've not had rain for months) but when it starts it never knows when to stop again! - last year I think it rained solidly from beginning of June through to September. :eek:
Thank you Musto for producing waterproofs that actually are

silvertinsel

Visit site
Depends, if its rain for just 1 day then I'd not bother, its easier to have a good groom and cuddles than aruge about which way we are going when H just wants to put his bottom to the wind and rain! If its more than 2 days of real rain rain (lol) then yes would ride eventually though we wouldnt have fun lol!

Could you send some rain down here?!?! We desperately need some, otherwise no hay for us!1