What do you feed your beasts?

Tern

Visit site
Just generally interested, no reason why just wanted to compare work loads, breeds etc to feeding

27yro 13.3hh cob type in rest/light work. Winter feed: two mugs of CW pony nuts and 1 / 1 1/2 CW alfalfa chaff and Global Herbs Movefree if he drops weight then fast fibre is added. Summer feed: air/a little cherry show shine chaff.

7yro 15.00hh welsh d in light work. Winter feed: 3 mugs of CW pony nuts or Baileys Conditioning Cubes, and about 1 1/2 - 2 scoops of CW alfalfa chaff. Summer feed will probably be cherry show shine chaff and a mug or two of baileys conditioning cubes.

They both live out 24/7 currently and have hay. (Stables being built May time eek)

TeamChaser

Visit site
16.1HH ISH and 16HH TB, both in medium work. Hour - hour and half hack 5 - 6 days a wk (lots of trot/canter) or loose schooling session. Do a bit of hunting when we're not drowning(!) and team chase with the ISH so they have to be relatively fit

Try to stick to fibre based diet as much as I can so they have ad lib haylage, scoop and half of speedi beet, scoop and half of Alfa A oil and Top Spec balancer split between 2 feeds. They look pretty good, have plenty of energy without fizziness so seems to work for them!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
29yr old mare has 2 feeds a day
each contains

1x small scoop of fast fibre, 1x small scoop of fibre cubes, 1 double handful of molasses free hi fi! with linseed oil and mint

Inthesticks

Visit site
14.2 25 yo retired dales - safe and sound (handful) high fibre cubes and speedibeet once a day, plus ad lib hay(sometimes gets some lucie nuts if the weather is bad)
14.2 8yo HW Cob - Safe and sound (handful for supp's) ad lib hay
14.2 nearly 3 cob - handful safe and sound plus the hay

They all live out on 3 to 4 acres with a 24ft x 12ft shelter

3Beasties

Visit site
18 Year old TB - Very light work currently -1 Scoop conditioning cubes, 1/2 scoop chaff, 1/4 scoop micronised linseed, 1/2 scoop (before soaking) sugar beet. Twice a day. Ad-lib hay.

7 year old ISH - Worked 5/6 times a week, schooling, hacking, jumping, competeing most weekends - 1/4 scoop chaff, 1/4 scoop light mix, handful of micronised linseed. Once a day. Not quite ad-lib hay.

15 year old Section A - No work - Handful chaff and handful of high fibre nuggets. Once a day. No hay (lives out)

Last edited:

Tern

Visit site
Nice! My welsh d is quite difficult to feed because she won't eat mashes and gets fizzed up easily but she is in medium work over summer so that usually gets drained out of her :)

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
16.1 IDx 4.5 year old - in light work - good doer - 1/3 bale of hay - 1 scoop Chestnut Horse Feeds Alfa Easy, handful of baileys high fibre nuggets - several carrots - per day
Also gets 6-7 hours turnout each day

jam14

Visit site
My two tbs (exracers) get the following:
Gelding 17.1hh lean fizzy lad gets mollasses free chaff and allen&paige calm and collected with haylage and herbs added to feed.

Mare 16.1hh good doer and marish fizzy type gets hifi lite chaff and sprinkle of spillers fibre cubes simplyto mix her arthritis herbs with so she eats them lol and haylage.

nat_1

Visit site
4 (next week)yr old
Idx
light work
2xfeeds daily of 1 scoop hifi,0.5 scoop fast fibre and naf multi vits + 1/3 bale hay (8-9 hrs turnout)atm

windand rain

Visit site
19 year old highland mare
5 year old highland mare
8 year old connemara
9 year old Dartmoor
All fed soaked grass nuts and beet as a base with a 100 grs of micronised linseed 500 grms afalfa molasses free brewers yeast salt and seaweed vitamin supplement All looking good and feeling well all work about 2 hours a day for 5 days a week walk trot canter gallop and jump about 80 cm apart form the Dartmoor who is a bit of a field ornament he gets a small feed which as he eats slowly means the others get their's in peace He is a bully so they all have to have the same or he would steal anything different

Queenbee

Visit site
15.2 mw hunter 5yr old this year:

Am 1/2 stubbs speedie beet, 1/2 stubbs ultra grass
Pm: 1 stubbs speedie beet, 1 stubbs ultra grass, vit and mineral supplement

Out daytime, in night, adlib hay and salt lick

Linseed meal for extra condition if he needs it (which he hasn't this winter)

Auslander

Visit site
16yr old Shire/TB - in work
19yr old Danish warmblood - recovering from nasty colic
22yr old TB mare - in light work
25yr old Russian Trakehner - retired

All on Safe and Sound, Fibre Beet and Linseed. Alf and Lola (TB mare) have an anti-inflammatory joint supplement, Alf and Spike (Danish) have a zeolite clay/pre and probiotic supplement, and Spike is on Gastroguard at the moment. The old girl has bute when she needs it.
They live out 24/7 and have two Heston-size sections of hay three times a day. Everyone except Alf is a good weight. Alf is a fat barsteward!

blitznbobs

Visit site
My cob gets ad lib hay and 1 scoop of havens slobbermash twice a day. Keeps his weight good with enough energy to do the work I expect of him ( schooled 1 hour 5 times a week and lunged one of the other 2 days)

The ponies get a handful of safe and sound each twice a day - just as a token - they don't do a lot...they get a very minimal quantity of hay when in and are out 12 hours a day.

hopo

Visit site
Soaked grass nuts! Old pony (and young) loved them and can be eaten by the bucket load (if soaked), so good if no teeth. Tried my old girl on chopped grass (looks like chaff) but she didnt like it.

AmieeT

Visit site
*blonde moment* lol!
Even more confused when I tried to figure out A: how would you feed them (like a cream..? Or the opposite of a pump?) And B: WHAT would you feed them?.
Followed by the sharp realisation that actually, yes, I am a total bimbo :S x

Potato!

Visit site
7yo 16h gelding not in work and his 16yo 12h pony companion gets just hay and a scoop of vits with a handful of Hifi light. Both are out 24/7 at the mo and are very good doers

ellie11987

Visit site
7yo poor dooer TB in moderate work - 1 scoop (dry weight) speedibeet, 1 1/2 scoops whole soaked oats, 2 mugs micronised linseed, mag ox, pro balance, salt.

RLS

Visit site
8 yr old ISH mare - 2 scoops of unmolassed chaff, 2 scoops (soaked weight) of speedibeet, small handful of mix (so she doesn't feel left out!), couple of carrots or turnip pieces, brewers yeast - split into 2 feeds per day.
9 yr old arab gelding - 2 scoops of unmolassed chaff, 2 scoops (soaked weight) of speedibeet, scoop of conditioning mix, couple of carrots or turnip pieces, maybe a banana (his favourite), brewers yeast - split into 2 feeds per day.
Gelding gets ad lib haylage and mare gets almost ad lib haylage, both out in field for approx. 10hrs and stabled at night. Both light work.
Mare is a good do-er, need to watch her waiste line in the summer! but looking just right at the moment. Gelding takes a bit more feeding, but also looks good at the moment.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Nearly 8, Haflinger, currently in rest/no work - mug dry weight of speedibeet and Pro Balance with extra Vit E split between 2 feeds, with controlled rations of soaked hay/straw (can't do ad-lib, he doesn't self regulate - I have tried many, many times!). Turnout every other day.

picolenicole

Visit site
9yo 14.2hh cob x recovering from injury so only ridden for 20 mins a day in walk. Gets fed ad lib straw and 7kg of soaked hay and 6 foot of meadow grass a day.

I hardly feed him at all if I do he gets a cup of Fast Fibre and a scoop of Oat straw chaff, he does really well on just grass (too well sometimes)

Merrymoles

Visit site
11-year-old 15.2 cob x in light work and a bit fizzy. Out 12 hours with no hay but plenty of grass, in 12 hours with ad lib hay. Handful of chaff and a few fibre nuggets first thing - only gets a morning feed to keep him quiet while the others are fed. Evening feed of three handfuls of unmolassed chaff, mug of low cal balancer, few fibre nuggets and about two tablespoons of linseed oil. Last thing he gets a treat ball with chopped carrots and fibre nuggets which he adores and would happily trade for his feeds.
His weight is pretty good and he does self-regulate in terms of hay.
I only ever see him in the dark during the week and we have nowhere to ride at the moment so he's hacked out at the weekend. Once the light evenings come (am I the only one obsessed with looking up sunset times at the moment?) and he can work more frequently I will adjust his feed if he starts to drop much weight but unless that happens he will stay on the same until the new grass comes through when I will begin to cut it down in preparation for turning out 24/7. He will still get his balancer and oil once a day when he's out.

Last edited:

horsefeed

Visit site
Feed 7 horses a combinations of the following....
Sugarbeet
Pegasus Chaff
Pegasus Pony Nuts
Micronized Linseed
Brewers Yeast
Sixteen Plus

Wheels

Visit site
15.3hh in light work, good doer but gets ad lib quite dry haylage; micronised linseed and forage plus winter hoof health balancer

2 Shetlands just get forage

Mince Pie

Visit site
13.2 cob, light work (try to get there at least 4/5 days a week) hacking, schooling, lungeing, jumping gets HiFi light, nuts and speedibeet. He's on haylage but only because of his copd.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
17hh - 8yr old WB - Stubbs scoop of Chestnut feeds Alpha Easy + 1/2 scoop speedi beet. 1 cup micornised linseed + turmeric + pepper twice a day - Being rehabbed - v light work, out 24/7
15hh rising 4 yr old Dales - Stubbs scoop of Chestnut feeds Alpha Easy + 1/2 scoop speedi beet. 1 cup micornised linseed + turmeric + pepper twice a day - ground work - v light out 24/7
15.1 - rising 5 yr old ISH - Stubbs scoop of Chestnut Feeds Alpha Easy + 1/2 scoop speedi beet + linseed + turmeric + pepper am -1 Stubbs scoop unmollassed chaff and balancer + linseed + turmeric + pepper pm - turned away due to ringbone. Out during day in at night
14.2 - 21 yr old Cob -1/2 Stubbs scoop of Chestnut Feeds Alpha Easy + 1/2 scoop speedi beet + linseed + turmeric + pepper am -1 Stubbs scoop unmollassed chaff and balancer + linseed + turmeric + pepper pm In work - light due to weather. Out during day in at night
10hh - 24 yr old falabella x - soaked mug measure of A & P cool and collected + balancer twice daily. Retired companion - Out during day in at night

All get plentiful haylage overnight and in paddocks and carrots/apples.

Last edited:

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
My lot all get Simple System feed.

Penny - 28 y/o Welsh A - 1kg Lucie Nuts, 1kg Beet, 1 kg Grass Pellets, plus Total Eclipse balancer (seaweed, linseed, brewers yeast)
Misty - 25 y/o NF - 600g LN, 300g beet, 1.5kg grass pellets plus TE
Saffron - 20 y/o Welsh D - 400g LN, 200g beet, TE
Rosie - 11 y/o Shetland - 200g Lucie Fibre Cubes, 100g beet, TE and bute

They all get cider vinegar and a selection of herbs this time of the year due to there being little in the way of herbs in the field. Plenty growing the warm months so they pick what they like. They all get hay in the field (except Penny, no teeth), and Misty gets haylage in her stable during the day due to being bullied by the others.