What Does "not a novice ride " mean to you ?

tubby1

Visit site
Really title says it all. I'm currently searching for a new horse. I am reasonably competent but initially nervous rider. If I see " not a novice ride " I assume it means it bucks or rears & can be naughty. I was interested in what other people's opinions are on this statement .

vanrim

Visit site
I am a fairly experienced rider and have trained dressage horses to prix st george level but not a novice ride to me means STEER WELL CLEAR!

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
It's very open to interpretation. I almost always assume it means that the horse may buck, spook, be challenging, etc. But it can also mean that they simply need a competent rider, otherwise they will take advantage - but with the right rider can be a brilliant horse. Generally if you can be nervous, I'd say to avoid these adverts as there are plenty of great horses out there who would be more suitable. But I suppose if one sounds 100% in all other ways it may be worth messaging the seller just to see what they mean by it. For example it may mean they get strong when going xc, but you have no intention of ever doing that so it wouldn't matter (perhaps not the best hypothetical example but you get my drift!)

PollyP99

Visit site
It can mean the owner doesn't wants sell to a novice home, many I've seen say things like can be strong therefore not a novice ride, which is not a maniac just enthusiastic in my book!

risky business

Visit site
To me a novice ride means you could put someone on that horse that has no experience and be a kick along and if more experienced could step up a gear.

So saying 'not a novice ride' doesn't mean they are a nutter. Horses can not be suitable for a novice and not be some raging lunatic. I'd assume it was responsive, enthusiastic and not a kick along.

Wouldn't put me off at all looking at a horse if it stated that in the advert you'd soon see upon it being ridden if it was a loony.

Last edited:

MuddyTB

Visit site
I disagree a bit with many of the above posts. I would likely put "not a novice ride" on an ad for my boy if I ever sold, but only because he is a TB and can be strong and spook occasionally. He does nothing bad, but I would use that phrase to try and deter complete beginners.

That said if you are a bit nervous you are probably best avoiding such ads as there's nothing worse than getting your confidence knocked on the wrong horse.

RunToEarth

Visit site
It means no novices or overinflated egos.

I've had a few "not novice rides" who have panned out to be extremely straightforward but not suitable for my grandmother or four year old niece.

WelshD

Visit site
I'd expect the horse to be forward going, maybe the odd shy and not that forgiving of a novice error.

I do think its one of those situations where you need to ask for more details and take their answers in context, you do run the risk of putting them off so I'd get in some detail about your abilities first

LadyRascasse

Visit site
My horse doesn't buck, rear, bolt, nap etc on very rare occasions he will spook but I haven't ridden a horse who doesn't! You could put a novice on him as a one off but he would seriously take the mick if he went to a novice home. To me a novice ride would be a horse that would put up with mistakes and not try and take the mick. Few and far between imo

leflynn

Visit site
To me a novice ride means you could put someone on that horse that has no experience and be a kick along and if more experienced could step up a gear.

So saying 'not a novice ride' doesn't mean they are a nutter. Horses can not be suitable for a novice and not be some raging lunatic. I'd assume it was responsive, enthusiastic and not a kick along.

Wouldn't put me off at all looking at a horse if it stated that in the advert you'd soon see upon it being ridden if it was a loony.

This pretty much, plus I'd always ask why it was classed as a not a novice ride and go from there, it can sometimes be down to the owner why they are described that way too :)

gembear

Visit site
I get confused by these too OP.

I currently ride a welsh d, although he isn't owned by me. I recently started doing unaff dressage, and we've been doing quite well. Starting having jumping lessons again. I've been riding for two years now, with a lesson probably once a week or every couple of weeks.

I still consider myself a novice rider.

I always have the odd look at what's for sale, and see pretty much everything says "not for a novice" or the odd "happy plod for a beginner". I'm dreading looking for my own one day, as it seems impossible to find something inbetween!

L&M

Visit site
I would describe both of mine as 'not a novice ride' but for very different reasons!

Cob 1 - an absolute gent 99% of the time, but can be sensitive and throw in an occasional buck when excited

Cob 2 - rising 6yrs, can be fizzy and spooky, but mainly age related

'not a novice ride' would not put me off - to me it means that it is not a kick along plod that you can put your child/granny/inexperienced rider on etc. It doesn't say to me 'nutter'.....but I would always ask why it is not one before I got on!

Myhorseeatsmoney

Visit site
I would stay clear if you are not a confident rider. I have learnt though that if you are worried a horse will pick up on that instantly and the situation can deteriorate very quickly. When I ride a green horse I try to be really confident and remember vividly riding a 16.3hh green thoroughbred down a country lane and seeing a herd of bullocks starting to run towards us in the field next to us, so I trotted him on whilst talking absolute rubbish to him and he was as good as gold. I haven't got a clue what I said and I had felt physically sick for a couple of seconds.

saddlesore

Visit site
To me it means nutter!! I would never go and view a horse that said that in the advert HOWEVER I have owned horses that definitely weren't novice rides! Bit of a minefield tbh but I read it as something of a warning :p

webble

Visit site
I'd expect the horse to be forward going, maybe the odd shy and not that forgiving of a novice error.

I do think its one of those situations where you need to ask for more details and take their answers in context, you do run the risk of putting them off so I'd get in some detail about your abilities first

^^^ this, thinking about the horses on our yard I can only think of one or two out of 20+ that I would describe as suitable for a novice and even then I would be wary but none of them are loons or even approaching it. To me a novice might be someone who is unbalanced or pull on a horses mouth or kick rather than squeeze and a lot of horses wont put up with that

gembear

Visit site
I would stay clear if you are not a confident rider. I have learnt though that if you are worried a horse will pick up on that instantly and the situation can deteriorate very quickly. When I ride a green horse I try to be really confident and remember vividly riding a 16.3hh green thoroughbred down a country lane and seeing a herd of bullocks starting to run towards us in the field next to us, so I trotted him on whilst talking absolute rubbish to him and he was as good as gold. I haven't got a clue what I said and I had felt physically sick for a couple of seconds.

Ha! I love that!
When i first started riding my share, I was warned he could be spooky at all the invisible monsters. I use to get a bit nervous when I first got on, so would go on a hack/round the school singing songs. Use to work a treat (most of the time) for both of us.

soulfull

Visit site
It can also depend on how experienced the seller is

Example a cob who was originally bought as a novice ride now started to nap. To tis rider he is not a novice ride. However a confident novice may well deal with it without a worry

On the other hand you have a fairly experienced rider who does things so automatically they have no idea just how often the horse would have got away with a nap or spin etc with a novice rider
And this is why I think so many people end up with the wrong horse
I would describe Fi as not a novice ride because
She is very forward thinking
Will have the odd attempt to nap (easily sorted if you act quick enough with the right tools)
She is sensitive and if someone lost balance or kicked her she would soon lose confidence

It also annoys me when novices look at us and say oh she is just what I need. Arghh I know she would be ruined in weeks

thewonderhorse

Visit site
I disagree a bit with many of the above posts. I would likely put "not a novice ride" on an ad for my boy if I ever sold, but only because he is a TB and can be strong and spook occasionally. He does nothing bad, but I would use that phrase to try and deter complete beginners.

That said if you are a bit nervous you are probably best avoiding such ads as there's nothing worse than getting your confidence knocked on the wrong horse.

I agree. My lad is 6 and hasn't done a lot at all so I would put not a novice ride as he is still green and needs guidance. It doesn't necessarily mean the horse is at all dangerous.

tubby1

Visit site
It is interesting reading everyone's different points of view. Thanks for replying. I am currently avoiding this type of advert as I have worked hard on getting my confidence back & it's much easier to dent it than to get it back .

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
See if I were ever to sell H I would definitely describe him as "not a novice ride" not because he's nasty at all but he can be nappy and is very looky when out hacking. He's also the sort that needs firm boundaries or he'll take the pee so I wouldn't be confident that someone coming straight out of a riding school would know how to manage him.

Billabongchick

Visit site
Wouldn't put me off and I'm no expert rider. Sold my 2nd horse as Not Novice ride as he could be difficult on the ground and also I wanted him to go to someone competent who would make the most of his dressage abilities and pamper him without pandering to his occasional bolshiness (recently found out he lived to a ripe old age and is buried in the ladies paddock after over 10 years with her so he certainly was pampered!) He was safe and sensible and I had put novice friends on him no problem.

My mare now is only 6 and an ex racer and I'd call her Not Novice Ride (not that I'd ever sell her) despite the fact that she is good/safe with my novice OH and his kids as I believe if she was ONLY dealt with by a novice then she'd regress and possibly try her luck and I'd want to attract buyers who had a certain level of competence as at 6 years old she is liable to have the odd wobble at new or strange things.

PollyP99

Visit site
See if I were ever to sell H I would definitely describe him as "not a novice ride" not because he's nasty at all but he can be nappy and is very looky when out hacking. He's also the sort that needs firm boundaries or he'll take the pee so I wouldn't be confident that someone coming straight out of a riding school would know how to manage him.

Would say that for mine too BUT she is perfect 90% of the time never strong, ridden in a snaffle, always, she just looks and spooks especially in season.

So to OP ask why if you like the look of something, it might not be a confidence denting thing, just a manageable quirk you never know!

blitznbobs

Visit site
I've gone past reading adverts TBH - Not a novice ride can mean anythiing from 'It's got a screw loose' to ' I have an over inflated opinion of what my horse is and if you're not Carl Hester you won't see it's full potential'... My advice...Take some one experienced enough to weedle out the doped and the mental and go and see anything you fancy...

Auslander

Visit site
It means no novices or overinflated egos.

I've had a few "not novice rides" who have panned out to be extremely straightforward but not suitable for my grandmother or four year old niece.

Exactly this! My horse is not a novice ride - he is mostly mannerly, and hacks out quietly enough for my granny to ride most of the time - but when he does have a moment, it tends to require skilful handling and a very sticky seat. There are very few people I'd send out hacking alone on him, not because I'm precious about him but because I know what he can do if he feels the urge!

turnbuckle

Visit site
4 possibilities:

1. Nutter

2. Strong or a bit quirky

3. Seller doesn't want it to go to a bad home

4. Seller has no idea what they're talking about!

I lucked out with 4 once, so it's always worth making a call if everything else seems right, just be honest about your ability..