What happens if whole country on lockdown???

Pippity

Visit site
Farriery is usually classed as essential from an animal welfare point of view. If your horse is good to shoe then should be easy to keep a good distance from the farrier. (And if my husband is anything to go by then you don’t want to get closer than 2m when he is in his stinky work clothes!)

Mine needs vet sedation for the farrier, so that's two lots of people I've got to hope count as essential. :/ I spoke to my vet today and they said that they're only doing emergency work. However, because lack of farrier care can rapidly become emergency, they'll still keep the appointment.

Of course, that was this morning.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Boris Johnson said "People can travel to & from essential work" I read that as going to look after your horses & purchasing feed/hay etc. I feel you must adhere to the social distancing as well. I'm on a small yard & so there are fewer liveries than larger yards. I think a rota of times for mucking out & turning out, bringing in & feeding so liveries will be on the yard for the minimum of time & not when others are there. We'll have to see what BHS advise, they will have spoken to government.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Very worried after the address. Certainly not the end of the world, I’m expecting that I’ll still be able to see my horse but riding is the most important thing in my life. I can see this going on for months possibly and I don’t know how I’ll cope without riding.
Obviously it’s a minuscule problem compared to some, but it’s not to me.
Maybe I’ll try clicker training again. He was not the quickest on the uptake last time I tried but I don’t think time is a problem at the moment!

Cob Life

Visit site
I was torn if I should still ride or not as the owners were still happy for me to, this has made my decision for me. I will be messaging tonight to say I will not be riding until the risk lowers and lockdown is lifted.

fuzzymooch

Visit site
Now terrified. Can't stop crying so worried I won't be allowed down. On a livery yard, am the only DIY. Don't think I can cope without being allowed to see my boy. Don't care if I can't ride as he's done suspensory ligament anyway but so worried. No sleep for me tonight.

phizz4

Visit site
Until we get greater clarification, I'm reading it like this. You can go out for essential reasons and the health of your animals, be they horses, pigs, sheep, dogs whatever, is essential, from the ponit of view of their well being and our well being. You can go out once a day for exercise. We will be driving to the yard (10 miles away), helping with the mucking out, watering and feeding, treating the mud fever, oiling their hooves etc. We will be walking the horses, for our own, and their, exercise.
This has been forced on us by those selfish people who flooded the coast and countryside at the weekend and the ones that continue to go into pubs for drinking and food and sit behind closed curtains so they think they can't be seen (but their cars in the car park are a bit of a give away).

Griffin

Visit site
Now terrified. Can't stop crying so worried I won't be allowed down. On a livery yard, am the only DIY. Don't think I can cope without being allowed to see my boy. Don't care if I can't ride as he's done suspensory ligament anyway but so worried. No sleep for me tonight.

Me too.

fuzzymooch

Visit site
I'm going to follow someone else's idea here and take his passport. Will go down early before anyone and try to avoid everyone until I get some clarification. I wrote to my MP earlier asking what would happen if they announced lockdown but didn't expect it this soon. Really hope he gets back to me.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site

I'm a YO with just one DIY livery; am worried how I'll cope with someone else's horses if it comes to that........... I'm fine lobbing around with my two cobs but not high-maintenance competition horses!

I would have liked a little more clarification from King Boris about the farming/countryside community and reassurance given about seeing to stock etc.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I was just about to say that was from earlier today and technically it was 'advice'.

My dilemma is that I get to the yard by public transport. However the train I get is empty on a normal day outside rush hour and the bus to the train station is the same one to the food shops so wouldn't be an extra journey.

While the very basics are covered, they are not getting much turnout atm and I need to exercise at least every other day otherwise his legs swell up plus ym is getting on and won't be able to cope with all the work without assistance. It's a very quiet yard, only 4 owners though some more than one horse and hopefully we an stagger visits. I'll just have to see what happens tomorrow, I need to take mud fever creams up so surely that's essential.

Chianti

Visit site
I've looked on the Govt web page and in all the links to information can't see anything on any animals. Just had a text from yard owner saying the yard is closed to liveries. Was having the physio out tomorrow as pony's not right. Cats at the vets Monday to have a tooth out. Bugger.

Winters100

Visit site
I really hope there’s more guidance soon. Still unsure if this means I can drive to the yard to exercise me and my horse ?

I would hope that in this case you would follow the 'common sense' rule. If there is truly no one at the yard to give basic care then obviously you have to go. If people are there it is better that they do these tasks than you risk spreading the infection, so you should stay away. I think that all our horses will for now be kept in a way which is not according to how we would ideally like, but this is secondary at present. If they can have their very basic needs met we have to be satisfied. We must not look for ways around the regulations by arguing that it is 'exercise' or that it is necessary for our mental health - this time is over. Now the only way forward is for us to stay home except for providing absolutely basic care, and if you are on a DIY yard that should be provided by the minimum number of people.

Callieann

Visit site
I'm sure many of us are a bit sick of COVID19 now but this is something that has been concerning me the last few days.

As there are many that are not listening to the social distancing guidelines MPs are asking for harsher rules, such as a lockdown.

What happens if we do go on lockdown?
Do you think there would be rules for people needing to tend to livestock or would there be a select authorised group doing it?
What happens for those on livery yards, do the managers do it all?
BHS are announcing tomorrow 24th what we will be able to do

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
We have 13 ponies between my friend and I. We have already worked out a rota system and have hand washing facilities set up along with disinfectant by every gate. Each person has their own poo picker too.

Difficult times but I hope that everyone can find a workable solution for themselves. I will be carrying ID and passports with me. I think looking after animals will come under essential travel.

Snowfilly

Visit site
I would hope that in this case you would follow the 'common sense' rule. If there is truly no one at the yard to give basic care then obviously you have to go. If people are there it is better that they do these tasks than you risk spreading the infection, so you should stay away. I think that all our horses will for now be kept in a way which is not according to how we would ideally like, but this is secondary at present. If they can have their very basic needs met we have to be satisfied. We must not look for ways around the regulations by arguing that it is 'exercise' or that it is necessary for our mental health - this time is over. Now the only way forward is for us to stay home except for providing absolutely basic care, and if you are on a DIY yard that should be provided by the minimum number of people.

I’m wondering about this... we own our own land, it’s about 4 miles from home. Drive door to gate. No-one else on the land and it’s set back from the road so no contact with other people.

Does that mean we’re okay to spend as long as we like there? (We being me and Mum, we’re living in the same house so no extra risk). Does it matter if we groom and do odd jobs or should we chuck feed and go?

I can’t see it making any difference but...it’s not essential we’re outside for longer than feeding so.

be positive

Visit site
I’m wondering about this... we own our own land, it’s about 4 miles from home. Drive door to gate. No-one else on the land and it’s set back from the road so no contact with other people.

Does that mean we’re okay to spend as long as we like there? (We being me and Mum, we’re living in the same house so no extra risk). Does it matter if we groom and do odd jobs or should we chuck feed and go?

I can’t see it making any difference but...it’s not essential we’re outside for longer than feeding so.

We do not have to stay indoors, your land is not shared, you are allowed to travel there so the time you are there is not relevant, it is really no different to being in a private garden, it is people living in flats that will really suffer from being restricted.

Winters100

Visit site
Stay on your own land with those you share a house with and you will have no problems

Exactly. These rules are not there to 'catch people out', but to control the spread of a deadly disease. They have sadly become necessary because society has demonstrated an inability to self regulate. No one is going to disturb you for being on your own land with a family member who forms part of your own household. They will however rightly look at busy livery yards with multiple owners. If people do not comply with these regulations they will only go on longer, so now is the time to compromise and accept that there are more important things to be considered. At this time our horses need basic care - if you can get this while staying at home then it is enough.

criso

Visit site
They will however rightly look at busy livery yards with multiple owners. If people do not comply with these regulations they will only go on longer,.

The problem is that they won't look at livery yards. They didn't look at them in the first place to give guidance on what can be done, they are mainly behind closed doors and I doubt police will be going round doing spot checks. If someone is driving in the countryside on their way to and from the yard, they are in an area where people will have to get in their cars to go and buy food so unlikely to be stopped even if there was police officer around which there isn't.

There are all sorts of levels of care from Full Livery including exercise to renting your own place and managing your own land and everything inbetween and it is being left to yards to decide on their own policy.

SO1

Visit site
I am in a similar situation with a pony on box rest. I am on part livery so everything apart from grooming and riding covered with options to buy in other services including exercise. He is on a controlled walking plan due to a suspensory injury. YO offer services including exercise but they will be stretched if others all require exercise and services too.

It is harder on public transport as more likely to get stopped and queried about where you are going. I think unless it is heavily policed nothing much will change. You are allowed to go out once a day for exercise but it does not restrict the amount of time so you could go for an all day hike or cycle which would not stop the issues with people going to the parks and out and about. I do have his passport at home with me so that would be proof that I own him. The other option I guess would be for the YO to "employ me" to help out at the yard for a few hours a week in a job I was unable to do from home.

I expect the BHS will issue a statement tomorrow and we will know more about what paperwork we may need to allow us to go out. I am expecting a heavy police and military presence to enforce this including paperwork, the first few days will be a bit of a test as not everyone will have watched the tv announcement.

I was just about to say that was from earlier today and technically it was 'advice'.

My dilemma is that I get to the yard by public transport. However the train I get is empty on a normal day outside rush hour and the bus to the train station is the same one to the food shops so wouldn't be an extra journey.

While the very basics are covered, they are not getting much turnout atm and I need to exercise at least every other day otherwise his legs swell up plus ym is getting on and won't be able to cope with all the work without assistance. It's a very quiet yard, only 4 owners though some more than one horse and hopefully we an stagger visits. I'll just have to see what happens tomorrow, I need to take mud fever creams up so surely that's essential.

criso

Visit site
I am in a similar situation with a pony on box rest. I am on part livery so everything apart from grooming and riding covered with options to buy in other services including exercise. .

The difference for me is I don't have the option to buy in extra services and I only have monday to friday cover. The ym is older and actually struggling a bit under normal circumstances but we help where we can. Plus if the horses aren't exercised and are not getting enough turnout she may struggle to handle them. There is enough slack that if one owner is away at a weekend they can be covered but not for no owners on site. It's effectively a diy yard at the weekend.