What happens if whole country on lockdown???

Caol Ila

Visit site
I have an old horse currently on two hours of turnout per day, as well as me riding her for about an hour (on average) one hour per day five or six days per week. The yard can provide basic needs, but I worry about the horse's health with weeks of essentially box rest. Colic? Arthritis? There is no way to increase turnout and moving her anywhere is not an option for many reasons.

NinjaPony

Visit site
My yard has messaged saying no one will be allowed to go to the yard and all liveries including DIY will be looked after by the YM and one helper, with visits only allowed in the field.

I am devastated. My horses are my whole world...

I’ve only just got my Connie back into proper work after a year of issues, and now I can’t even groom him let alone ride him....

He’s got sweetitch that means he needs creams, rugs etc from now on, hock arthritis that needs movement, and severe COPD that needs super strict stable management

My other pony is on box rest for laminitis with the vet due out for x-rays etc. He is difficult at the best of times and hates vets and strangers...

All in all, this is probably the worst outcome for me personally. I am at a total loss, very very concerned about my two boys, particularly my welsh, and feel totally blindsided.

I appreciate that this is a relatively small, selfish concern in the grand scheme of things. I understand we are at the point of total crisis, and we all need to do our bit. But not being allowed on the yard for 3 weeks is heartbreaking for me.

And yes I totally understand why it’s happening, and I will comply with the rules.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Mine are at a private yard, just me and mine there. No choice but to go and do them as there is no one on site.... think I'll stick their passports in my car in case I get stopped....
Just wanted to say I was reading this thread glancing at signatures and thought how pretty yours is and how familiar it looks before realising the image on the right of the 2 is the very one on my wall. I still love it as much as the day I received it.

I feel for all those owners that now cannot see their horses and with no idea of how long it will be for. My horses have kept me alive the past years when I was ill and I feel so grateful that I will still be seeing them and will be giving them an extra big hug tomorrow. (My yard owner knows nothing about looking after horses but we all have our own fields and no communal areas. We park at our field and go to our gates - I can't remember the last time I was there at the same time as the person in the field beside me).

NinjaPony - that's a very worrying time especially with so many health issues. I wish your ponies the best of health and hope it's not too long before you can see them.

Pointless1

Visit site
I'm really worried. My two are at a private yard. 20 mins away. If I don't get there they don't get seen. I'm so worried. I've arranged help if I'm ill but that's it. I don't know what to do it in not allowed to go.
Animal care must be classed as essential?

hopscotch bandit

Visit site

I appreciate that this is a relatively small, selfish concern in the grand scheme of things. I understand we are at the point of total crisis, and we all need to do our bit. But not being allowed on the yard for 3 weeks is heartbreaking for me.

And yes I totally understand why it’s happening, and I will comply with the rules.
Its all relative sweetheart. This is what i was saying to the team at work last week talking about how worried i was about my horse whos just come off 3 months box rest. They looked at me like i was nuts for suggesting a horse is important at a time like this.

But i explained that every person in the country has their own particular worry. And to them theirs is important. And just because they are not important to the next man doesn't make them less important. So don't forget that.

We all need to support each other at this time. People's mental health is going to take a right bashing. So we should set up a group on here. To help and support. Not nastiness or curt words, just empathy and understanding. X

Last edited:

Winters100

Visit site
I'm really worried. My two are at a private yard. 20 mins away. If I don't get there they don't get seen. I'm so worried. I've arranged help if I'm ill but that's it. I don't know what to do it in not allowed to go.
Animal care must be classed as essential?

For sure they are not going to want you to starve your horses, so if there really is absolutely nobody there you need to go.

I see it like this. Although the regulations seem right now to be stringent they are actually not nearly as far as they could go. For example in Argentina you are not even allowed out to walk your dog, even if you life in an apartment - you may take the dog out to do it's business and that is all.

Everyone that can arrange care for their horses without going out should do so. That way will hopefully avoid more stringent measures which will also impact those who really do need to go. We need to redefine what is essential care. If you had asked me a month ago what was essential for my horses I would have given a long list including supplements, hay put in bags, being ridden every day and going to the walker. Now I am saying that they must have hay (can be on the floor) and water, their boxes cleaned and be put to the paddock every day. Since I can arrange this without going to the stable I will stay home, even though where I am there are no regulations limiting me from going (this will probably change of course). I understand that some people are managing sick horses, so it is up to everyone else to stay away so that those who would really have a welfare issue can continue to do what they need to. Yards will have to at least limit the number of people visiting, so if you have an uncomplicated horse volunteer to stay away.

I really do understand the upset and worry that this causes, and I know that I am lucky that I can arrange these things quite easily, but if everyone who can arrange basic care does so it will hopefully allow those who cannot to carry on. Please do not be looking for loopholes to allow you to go to the yard, trying to justify it as exercise etc, go only if it is absolutely unavoidable. We all need to remember that a lot is at stake here - keeping old people isolated only works until they need some help so it is vital to curb the spread of this disease without delay.

alsxx

Visit site
Just wanted to say I was reading this thread glancing at signatures and thought how pretty yours is and how familiar it looks before realising the image on the right of the 2 is the very one on my wall. I still love it as much as the day I received it

Oh how lovely! I know the one you mean ? I haven't been on HHO for years, nothing like a global pandemic to drive me back on!!!

blackislegirl

Visit site
Please do not be looking for loopholes to allow you to go to the yard, trying to justify it as exercise etc, go
----------------

It IS exercise, my regular daily exercise. Why should that be forbidden when there are lots of cyclists out whizzing down the lanes, and walkers on the bridle paths? I am 66 years old, live on my own and rarely go out except for shopping for food and to a small livery yard and to ride my darling pony.

Cowpony

Visit site
Our yard has gone the other way and has said all horses are now in diy livery, no services to be provided other than haying up the fields, checking fences and rugs. So we all have to go up to sort our own horses.

Lucky788

Visit site
I’m just watching the news and they said fine to go to your allotment, and it would count as exercise just keep your distance so I feel like going to the yard is the same? I’ll be taking antibac spray to put on door handles etc and being as efficient as possible when up there. Hoping BHS will clarify soon what the guidelines are. Also wondering if walking in hand would count as exercise as really need to keep my oldie moving

Griffin

Visit site
Please do not be looking for loopholes to allow you to go to the yard, trying to justify it as exercise etc, go
----------------

It IS exercise, my regular daily exercise. Why should that be forbidden when there are lots of cyclists out whizzing down the lanes, and walkers on the bridle paths? I am 66 years old, live on my own and rarely go out except for shopping for food and to a small livery yard and to ride my darling pony.

I absolutely agree with you. My mare is my world, I only work to pay for her. I am not going to stop seeing her.

Shay

Visit site
There isn't any clarity yet - nothing on the order of the Governement advice about tending to livestock a distance from home. With so many different approaches clarity is not going to be popular with everyone! We're still going to the yard to care for the horses. No reason not to ride on yard - but I'm not sure I would tweak anyones nose by hacking out just now. As long as we are sensible we should be fine. RSs will have to close though as a buisness providing a leisure activity. That is going to be a massive blow financially and may well impact on those who livery at an RS.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I rent a yard privately for myself and my sisters ponies, our yard owner is older and not very horsey.
Thankfully I very rarely see anyone when I'm there so I'll continue doing short visits.

Pippity

Visit site
My yard is on lockdown, as the YO and her kids are all at-risk. It's a medium-sized yard - around 20 horses - with most being DIY or assisted livery nowadays, although there used to be more full liveries. Full liveries will continue on their usual routine. DIY/assisted will have the option of paying for full livery or having their horses turned out 24/7, with them being hayed/checked daily, free of charge.

I'm going to miss my horse like hell over the next three weeks (minimum), but not so much that I think the YO should put herself and her kids at risk.

I think I'll start trying to teach my cat a dressage test. Although I think she's more of a showjumper than a dressage diva.

only_me

Visit site
I was worried the farrier wouldn't be allowed to come out, but I imagine they fall under veterinary care as we can't leave horses without foot care for 3 weeks or however long.

feed stores will probably stay open but the actual shop will be closed and orders taken over the phone and loaded with you in the car/jeep.

Farmers still have to care for their land and animals/crops so I wonder if horses will fall under the same.

ets, there is government guidance released last night on what shops can open, and hardware shops are to stay open, maybe saddleries can fall under that category?

Last edited:

tristar

Visit site
My yard has messaged saying no one will be allowed to go to the yard and all liveries including DIY will be looked after by the YM and one helper, with visits only allowed in the field.

I’ve only just got my Connie back into proper work after a year of issues, and now I can’t even groom him let alone ride him....

He’s got sweetitch that means he needs creams, rugs etc from now on, hock arthritis that needs movement, and severe COPD that needs super strict stable management

My other pony is on box rest for laminitis with the vet due out for x-rays etc. He is difficult at the best of times and hates vets and strangers...

All in all, this is probably the worst outcome for me personally. I am at a total loss, very very concerned about my two boys, particularly my welsh, and feel totally blindsided.

so sorry is gone this way for you,caring about your animals is never selfish, hope it works out betternthan it looks now, in the end, and the yard can manage them for you. x

tristar

Visit site
I was worried the farrier wouldn't be allowed to come out, but I imagine they fall under veterinary care as we can't leave horses without foot care for 3 weeks or however long.

feed stores will probably stay open but the actual shop will be closed and orders taken over the phone and loaded with you in the car/jeep.

Farmers still have to care for their land and animals/crops so I wonder if horses will fall under the same.

ets, there is government guidance released last night on what shops can open, and hardware shops are to stay open, maybe saddleries can fall under that category?

out farm shop does loads of deliveries, inc horse feed, he delivered last week, and said the farmers are flat out and they are at the mo

Caol Ila

Visit site
I'm still waiting to hear what my yard does. Their last email said they were waiting for more clarification from the BHS and SSPCA. Didn't sleep at all last night.

rascal

Visit site
Looking after your horses is essential travel, i am so relived we rent the field for just our horses, and will not meet anyone else there. I would hate being on a yard at the moment, and could not visit our horses.

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
You have to think about the logistics of this:

-there aren't enough police in the UK to tackle crime anyway (ie the pointlessness of reporting a mugging/burglary), so how will there be enough to patrol every road?
-uniquely in Europe, the UK public are not required to carry ID cards. We don't have any kind of organised nationwide system of validating anything (how do people who don't have smartphones or printers at home show proof of any kind of permit?)

I get the impression that this initial lockdown will be focussing on urban areas where people are gathering in sunny parks, and non-essential businesses (ie all the estate agents near me had staff in them yesterday). There's a reason why London is the epicentre.

So plan for reducing your potential contact with others to the bare minimum (ideally zero), review what is actually essential in terms of horse care, but don't expect the UK to be under martial law just yet.

Encouraging news coming from China after ~2 months of lockdown, but of course that's one of the few places on the planet that has the resources and cultural attitude to enforce total state compliance.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Our yard has said no visits to your horse if you are on full or part livery.

If you are on DIY you can do as normal within a one hour time slot. You can also have assisted DIY, i.e they will skip out, do hay etc which is what I'm already been having since 21st December as my horse is on partial box rest still. But I think people will move from full livery to DIY so they can still see their horse which is understandable.

You are allowed up for an hour a day at a time slot different to everyone else. I still can't see how I can muck out a full bed, fill and wet hay nets, change rugs, groom, pick out feet, fill water buckets, make feeds, ice legs, ultrasound leg, poo pick paddock, check and refill with water and make fencing bigger in an hour. But I will give it a go. I totally understand the position the YO is in, and to have to make these rules which we have to stick by because its for the greater of us all, and sadly time with our beloved horses are something that we will have to sacrifice for a couple or three weeks.

I'm going to prepare tonight by getting shavings bales ready outside my stable, making up feeds into bags in case of self -isolation, making up nets, making paddock slightly bigger and altering the size every second day.

I couldn't do an hour when my Dad was dying and I was trying to spend time with him in the evenings, nor when my partner was on kidney dialysis with sepsis in hospital, it was still taking me an hour and a half and that was without tending to my horses injury! It just feels like trying to put a pint in a half pint glass, impossible.

But I am going to respect the YO wishes and try my best as are all the other liveries. I am sat here at my desk at work (still managing to work) shaking like a leaf and feeling sick with dread, like a panic attack.

But we can all do this, I know we will get through the other side.

Michen

Visit site

Massive massive hugs xxxxx

NinjaPony

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your support, one of the things I've always loved about the horse world is that people really do pull together.

I'm feeling extremely lucky and very grateful. I've spoken to the yard about my concerns with the laminitis and I've been allowed to go up in the morning to visit, give medication, put on rugs, cream etc, make up their feeds, soak hay and check them both over. I am hugely hugely relieved, it's not perfect but gives me some peace of mind and means I can respond to the laminitis day to day.

I'll be following very strict biosecurity rules to make this possible and am very mindful that I will need to be as careful as possible.

As of yet I have no idea whether I'll be allowed to be present for the vet, or if laminitis is classed as an 'emergency'. Push comes to shove, he will have to stay in for the 3 weeks and I'll try and get him out in the school with soaked hay.

Winters100

Visit site
----------------

I understand that it is very upsetting, but surely you must see that we all have to make sacrifices now? Just because we can do something does not mean that we should. And pointing to what others are doing is not a good justification for our own decisions. If the pony can be cared for by anyone else at the yard then the right thing to do is to stay home. If this is absolutely impossible, and no one can provide minimal daily care of course you should go and do the essentials. Your pony may mean the world to you, but for other people it is their husbands / wives / parents or children who mean more. You may well be infected now, you don't know. If you are you could spread it to others on the yard, and then to others that they come into contact with. If you have an accident you will need treatment. If your pony was lame you would find another way to get essential exercise wouldn't you? Surely you can do the same now for the good of society?

scats

Visit site
We don’t have anyone at the yard to do our horses. YO doesn’t have anything to do with horses now and only calls in occasionally to pick up post and check caravans etc.
We are a small yard. I have a barn of 6 stables to myself so I don’t have to mix with anyone really.
The other barn has 4 liveries and their horses. We are being careful, following social distancing when down there etc.
I lunged Millie tonight. I’ll probably keep the girls ticking over with lunging and long-reining.