What happens if whole country on lockdown???

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Following this as also worried about this as am at a yard with no assistance and completely non horsey owners. Can't really turn him out full time as he has cushings and EMS and needs medication daily. At the moment we are doing a rota between the liveries so that we are not there at the same time but if none of us are allowed down I honestly don't know how we'll manage it. Obviously I want to do all I can to slow the spread of the virus and respect the rules but equally don't want to leave my special needs horse to fend for himself as it were!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We are on a small diy yard, there is a YO on site. Most liveries come down at different times so hardly ever see one another. With washing your hands before you go to the yard & washing them when you've finished mucking out & turning out there should be no problem. Likewise horses are brought in at different times so again the owners don't really mix. If personal cleanliness is maintained and you don't mix with other owners then it should be manageable. At the moment we don't really need a rota but if it's thought needed then we will have one & comply with it.

Esmae

Visit site
Mine are at home but at the end of the road, .3 of a mile. I intend to go down in the car (metal closed box) and do them 2 x a day. I'm isolated down there as much as at my house. It's all I can do, I am on my own essentially. Glad for it at this time. I hope you all keep safe and well. Stick to the advice given and we'll come through this.

Horsekaren

Visit site
I doubt the update will advise all horses are to fend for themselves. I do think those on big livery yards that are run like businesses will be treated as such. To be honest some of the pics and videos i see of people posting going on hacks ect saying its their social distancing are a bit annoying. Unless these horses are on tiny yards where only one person is ever there at a time the risk is just as much there , touching a door, entering a tack room, touching a gate, going on a hack being 2 meters behind your buddy, you may as well just be on their face as their breath is just going into your face all be it with a few strides delay. 1 person being a carrier has the potential of infecting 30,000 people! If it was strangles you wouldn't dream of putting your horse in danger but seems humans care less about themselves.

I think everyone has to be realistic of how big this issue is, and our horses will just have to fit around the bigger picture. I think a lot of yards where capable will need to go on lock down and stop people coming and going as long as they are capable of looking after the animals. At a minimum people needs to be washing their hands, not sharing equipment, not touching other peoples things, horses, keys ect Yuck! i hate to think how gross a padlock of shared key would be! Especially as some people have zero symptoms.

I think a sad and tough time ahead for all of us! we all have to do our bit to stay safe, and be realistic, if we are locked down its a bit of a finger up to the human population if we think we are above the rest of the world because we have horses! i think its a biT of a worrying place as we all adore our animals so much, i wonder if any people will dismiss a headache or tight chest for a few days because they want a moment of normality with their horse over the yard! i know i would be tempted :( All in it together!

Stay safe and our ponies will all be ok!!! a lock down cant result in animals dying so dont panic.

I mean this post in a genuine nice way, the world has gone to sh*t, i just hope this doesn't last too long and we can all get back on with living normal lives.

Last edited:

tda

Visit site
I looked at flight radar today as i was given the impression via the media that global flights have been seriously curtailed, due to global lockdowns.
at this moment theres more than 6000 planes up in the air travelling internationally. Surely they’re not ALL full of loo roll!

https://www.flightradar24.com/44.46,-29.75/4
My OH did exactly the same

Winters100

Visit site
Stay safe and our ponies will all be ok!!! a lock down cant result in animals dying so dont panic.

I mean this post in a genuine nice way, the world has gone to sh*t, i just hope this doesn't last too long and we can all get back on with living normal lives.

I agree. I am expecting where I am to imminently introduce tougher restrictions, and much as I will hate not going to the yard I actually agree that it is necessary. The horses will be taken care of, maybe not as well as they are used to, but this situation is serious so they have to survive. The only way to shorten this is with tight regulations which are strictly controlled. If there are staff at the yard then we bring a risk in coming there, however careful we are this cannot be avoided. If it is a small DIY yard then in my opinion one person should volunteer and no one else goes there. Looking at the current spread I think this is the only way.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I say we will have the same rules as others countries on lockdown. Owners aren’t allowed into the yard only staff are allowed into the yard to care for animals in livery yards . I say you would only be allowed out if nobody is there to care for them like having horses at home.
Yes but what if there are no staff on the yard, and all diy and part? 1 person doing part such as me, I wont be able to do ALL the horses on my own, due to injury and amount of work

Leo Walker

Visit site
If you had to turn them away clipped they would be ok just cold and lose weight probably better that than having rugs on with minimal care .
I have been preparing for the worse mine ( all clipped over the winter ) are out in no fills and in cotton sheets at night stabled with the windows and doors open they will have been cold last night but if they stop non essential work and I was become unwell they would have to go out so I have them ready .

I'm starting to rough my mare off. Shes out with no rug on now, and I've not reclipped as I normally would. She cant go out on decent grass 24/7 so theres plans for her to go in a small starvation type paddock if it comes to that, and the person who lives closest will check her, fill water if needs be and give hay if it comes to it. The youngster is no out 24/7 in a little herd. We've filled and taken the water bowser down and filled up the trough. Again the person closest will count legs and check the water levels.

Its not how I would chose to keep them, but sometimes needs must and this is an unprecedented and hopefully once in a life time situation, so we need to make the best of it.

Nicnac

Visit site
8.30 tonight for update to the nation. I doubt BoJo will specifically mention horses in his announcement but am expecting much stricter rules re: movement. Guess they'll have to give us 24 hours or so before implementing so more details will be announced?

Winters100

Visit site
I'm starting to rough my mare off. Shes out with no rug on now, and I've not reclipped as I normally would. She cant go out on decent grass 24/7 so theres plans for her to go in a small starvation type paddock if it comes to that, and the person who lives closest will check her, fill water if needs be and give hay if it comes to it. The youngster is no out 24/7 in a little herd. We've filled and taken the water bowser down and filled up the trough. Again the person closest will count legs and check the water levels.

Its not how I would chose to keep them, but sometimes needs must and this is an unprecedented and hopefully once in a life time situation, so we need to make the best of it.

I agree. I made a decision this evening that I won't go to the yard again for the foreseeable future, regulations or not. I am not criticising anyone who takes a different approach, but I am at high risk of contracting the virus due to my domestic arrangements and I don't want to pass it on. I have been being careful, but to be honest, given the rate of spread it is not enough. I will need the YO to agree to provide some extra services such as water to the paddock, but I think he will agree. As you said unprecedented times and even if things are not done exactly as I would do them I think the horses will be fine. Wishing everyone well in these difficult times.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve just had a really frightening (for me, with a problem horse) thought. What happens with farrier appointments? I absolutely can’t go 12 weeks safely right now ?
Obviously don’t want to put my farrier or anyone at risk but how will this work? Who’s horses can go months on end

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I’ve just had a really frightening (for me, with a problem horse) thought. What happens with farrier appointments? I absolutely can’t go 12 weeks safely right now ?
Obviously don’t want to put my farrier or anyone at risk but how will this work? Who’s horses can go months on end
I doubt they can stop those really, it would become a welfare issue.

OH is asking clients to leave money or pay by bacs and then keep their distance. Combined with handwashing etc its probably the best way for now.

skint1

Visit site
We are a totally DIY yard, we would just have to go up to tend to our horses, at least some of us would. Some people have said they'd pull shoes and turn out, that would be difficult for my old boy, he has PPID and he's done really well this year but what can we do? I am sure they will have some provision for animal care even if there is total lockdown of pretty much everything.

HashRouge

Visit site
I just saw this and realised I need to make an appointment so I've messaged farrier and said I can leave them in and not be there if he would prefer. Could you do something similar?

TGM

Visit site

Farriery is usually classed as essential from an animal welfare point of view. If your horse is good to shoe then should be easy to keep a good distance from the farrier. (And if my husband is anything to go by then you don’t want to get closer than 2m when he is in his stinky work clothes!)

Bernster

Visit site
I really hope there’s more guidance soon. Still unsure if this means I can drive to the yard to exercise me and my horse ?