What happens to our horses if there is a WW3?

Parrotperson

Visit site
If it all kicks off, there is unlikely to be time to pts, we certainly won't have days/weeks of notice.

indeed. Just at the start of WW2 lots of people PTs their pets for fear of not being able to feed them etc.

We may get a little notice but then we may all just ....not.

Best thing is to get killed asap I think and know nothing about it.

God Putin has a lot to answer for. Lets hope his military won't let him do anything daft (although invading Ukraine is daft)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
my point being that none of the plans people have are in anyway sustainable or even sensible. People aren't being realistic about it. at all. There's no point in "how do we look after our horses in the event...." because they'll all be dead or we will be. Kindest thing PTS if it all kicks off.

We just have to hope it doesn't happen.

For my part I hope someone within the Russian military does for Putin before he gets to press the button.

Depends what type and how nuclear weapons are deployed
We could also easily have WW3 without the use of nuclear

The eventuality of lots of us having to up sticks and move out in the way the Ukrainians have had to is unlikely. Because we are an island with boats and helicopters and planes stocked with high performance missiles, with the sovereign manufacturing capability to make many more.

But the economic consequences of a war not on our soil could be far reaching and it is worth considering the what ifs

JJS

Visit site
I understand how you feel, and I have in the last days even felt a little irritated when someone contacts me to meet for a coffee or something trivial, but there is a reality that life does have to go on. Even for the refugees who we are hosting I see that they do take pleasure in trivial things, and so they should. Our municipality has made most activities free for refugees, and earlier OH took the 2 adults and boys to the the swimming pool - they had a great time. The daughter is pony mad (she landed in the right place), so I took her to the yard to ride my schoolmistress. She already has an equestrian wardrobe about 3 times bigger than mine since I mentioned to some other Mothers that she would like to ride, plus pony duvet covers and pillow cases.

The reality is that all we can do is to help where we reasonably can, while still keeping our commitments to our own family, be aware of what is happening elsewhere, but not controlled by it. This could go on for a long time, so we need to be able to continue helping, but not in a way that makes us unable to enjoy other things outside of this situation.

I would say keep an eye on what is going on, help where you can, but also remember that putting our lives on hold helps none.

It’s this that’s really upsetting me, because this is the part that’s real and happening right now. I’m ashamed to be in the UK when we’re doing nothing to help or house any of the refugees. Poland and the other European countries that are mucking in and helping should be an example to us all.

palo1

Visit site
While I agree it makes sense to think about it and be prepared if possible, in reality if its comes to nuclear war we are all pretty much done.
We can only hope and pray that it does not come to it.
Thinking its not going to effect us in the UK is a bit simplistic in my view. we are only about 3 hours from Ukraine. Its going to hit our pockets if nothing else.
I find this thread very depressing and upsetting. I fear its quite damaging to peoples mental health and I will not be opening it again.

I think that is a bit dramatic - it is something that is on some people's minds and it is helpful for some folk to talk about the subject. The thread title is open and clear so I expect those that don't want to discuss it simply won't open it in the same way people don't open threads about euthanasia/PTS etc.

palo1

Visit site
If it all kicks off, there is unlikely to be time to pts, we certainly won't have days/weeks of notice.

That isn't usually the way of war - things would get worse and there likely would be a fair indication of impending nuclear strike. I don't think it will come to that but I think a very difficult European wide 'situation' (not necessarily armed conflict across all of Europe) is likely and will have some impact on us; most likely financial but potentially also in terms of energy usage/rationing at the extreme end of the sanctioning etc. WW3 is also quite likely to be a period if not totally of cyber warfare where all manner of inconvenient, expensive and frustrating cyber strikes affect us.

palo1

Visit site
Depends what type and how nuclear weapons are deployed
We could also easily have WW3 without the use of nuclear

The eventuality of lots of us having to up sticks and move out in the way the Ukrainians have had to is unlikely. Because we are an island with boats and helicopters and planes stocked with high performance missiles, with the sovereign manufacturing capability to make many more.

But the economic consequences of a war not on our soil could be far reaching and it is worth considering the what ifs

This is a more likely scenario than totally unexpected nuclear attack. Thanks for articulating this so clearly :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
While I agree it makes sense to think about it and be prepared if possible, in reality if its comes to nuclear war we are all pretty much done.
We can only hope and pray that it does not come to it.
Thinking its not going to effect us in the UK is a bit simplistic in my view. we are only about 3 hours from Ukraine. Its going to hit our pockets if nothing else.
I find this thread very depressing and upsetting. I fear its quite damaging to peoples mental health and I will not be opening it again.

The beauty of a forum is that the thread titles usually are indicative of the subject/content. No-one needs to even open a thread that they don't like the look of, let alone contribute. For some people expressing fears and facing them helps them to cope, no-one should try to limit discussion. It's easy enough to not join in/ignore the thread.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Can we change the subject please. This thread is doing none of us any good.

Actually it helped rein me in a bit. I can have a plan for impending air strikes, but if a warning goes off for a nuclear attack I might just switch plan and go skinny dipping in the river 5 minutes walk away. Or see what cat food tastes like. Dunno.

I have NOTHING to cry about, I’m basically ashamed of myself, I didn’t cry over Afghan and that should have hit home just as hard.

I feel a certain amount of shame, too. As someone else pointed out (Palo1?), it's cumulative, though. I think the added nuclear threat is what tipped me over the edge. That and (rightly or wrongly) the image of a man holding his terrified cat on the Metro. I say rightly or wrongly as Afghans have pets, too.

skint1

Visit site
In the event of a nuclear attack I don't think it would really matter for too long, I would hope that neither of us survived the initial impact.

In the event of a more conventional war largely not conducted on our shores I think it would depend on the level of grimness and social instablility as to what I did with my horse. The days of the cavalry are over so not worried about conscription for horses unless all the fuel ran out or was severely rationed and everyone started using horses again to get around. My horse is a big girl,so probably attractive for local level conscription but not sure how sound she'd be to stand up to heavy work.

The yard is 6 miles from my house, it's hilly but I could walk/cycle if I had to do it, especially if not having to attend work in person. I think it would depend on what the farmer wanted to do, if he closed the yard, that could be a huge problem. If there was no forage for next winter, and not enough land to keep them going, that could also be a problem. I'd start optimistic though and see how we fared.

GSD Woman

Visit site
I don't know if anyone remembers the Cuban Missile Crisis. It only took one cool headed second in command to keep the world from being destroyed.

Between Dump buddying up with Putin and weakening NATO Putin has gotten even bolder. I don't think he anticipated the Ukrainian response.

Anyway, I'm hoping that there is an answer besides the nuclear option. My father was a career US Air Force Officer and flew with the Strategic Air Command for at least 10 years. I don't think the US is quite as prepared as then but the weapons are more powerful.

Anyway, I need to keep living my life and taking care of my animals and working on a second vegetable garden and enjoy the pleasant weather we're having.

palo1

Visit site
A friend of mine in Hereford says the skies are very quiet there; that might indicate that if we need special forces to be somewhere else, they probably are already. If not, then there are other interpretations, many of which could be positive. I am not sure those are credible assumptions really but in these parts we often know from overhead when the world is in crisis!!

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
If I had a few hours I would would pts so I wouldn’t have to let her fend for herself since she is a spooky horse and wouldn’t cope if I let her go. The war is going affect us all and Russia will get us back by attacking countries who doesn’t agree.

TPO

Visit site
Who actually believes that if thr worst did happen, whether its a couple of hours or a couple of weeks, think that vets/knackermen won't also be busy with their own families and making plans rather than travelling around to do a cull.

If, and its a big if, anything was to happen where people had to upsticks and leave in a hurry then thr best option is to turn all stock loose to hope that they fend for themselves or get taken out quickly

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I imagine there are multiple nuclear powers who currently have their missiles pointing towards Moscow, and Putin knows it. If he were to launch an attack on the West, he either needs to co-ordinate it to take out multiple targets at once, or he risks a retaliation from the greater part of the globe. I am also hoping that the not-very-impressed looking Generals will not let him engage in a nuclear war.

Clive Myrie looks absolutely wrecked.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Who actually believes that if thr worst did happen, whether its a couple of hours or a couple of weeks, think that vets/knackermen won't also be busy with their own families and making plans rather than travelling around to do a cull.

If, and its a big if, anything was to happen where people had to upsticks and leave in a hurry then thr best option is to turn all stock loose to hope that they fend for themselves or get taken out quickly

Or that their YOs will be answering the phone and taking instructions as to what to do with each individual horse ....

Snowfilly

Visit site

Although it’s horrible to think about, it is quite possible to kill fairly large stock, including equines, with a knife. I have seen it done once in a hideous emergency with a sheep and I hope, in the end of civilisation scenario being discussed here, that I would be able to do it myself.

I also know a few people with rifles, including some who shoot deer. I suspect it would be possible to get hold of someone somehow, unless it truly was a twenty minute warning.

TPO

Visit site
Although it’s horrible to think about, it is quite possible to kill fairly large stock, including equines, with a knife. I have seen it done once in a hideous emergency with a sheep and I hope, in the end of civilisation scenario being discussed here, that I would be able to do it myself.

I also know a few people with rifles, including some who shoot deer. I suspect it would be possible to get hold of someone somehow, unless it truly was a twenty minute warning.

I'd say its simple to do but not easy especially for someone not used to killing animals. I highly doubt that most on here would be (mentally) capable of doing it. Plus it has to be a really sharp knife and I'm not sure everyone would have something suitable.

Shooting a horse in the right place without it being sedated (& even when sedated) is a real skill.

I'm all for having a plan for thr extremely unlikely (like my euromillions win ?) but there's nothing to be gained by people allowing it to affect their mental health or to be thinking that they are going to have to slit throats etc

palo1

Visit site
I'd say its simple to do but not easy especially for someone not used to killing animals. I highly doubt that most on here would be (mentally) capable of doing it. Plus it has to be a really sharp knife and I'm not sure everyone would have something suitable.

Shooting a horse in the right place without it being sedated (& even when sedated) is a real skill.

I'm all for having a plan for thr extremely unlikely (like my euromillions win ?) but there's nothing to be gained by people allowing it to affect their mental health or to be thinking that they are going to have to slit throats etc

I quite agree!! I don't think we need to share the fine detail of the worst case scenario as if we get to that point then everyone would simply do what they needed to do and could manage or prioritise. It is far more likely that we will experience economic/financial repercussions which will impact on our ability to keep horses in the way we might choose to.

maisie06

Visit site
I'm not going to worry - TBH for me it would be a blessing, I don't really want to make old bones as my future is bleak anyway, I would sort out the animals so they didn't suffer, but hopefully if putin decides to press the button I'm hoping I'll be vapourised, but knowing my luck.....

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I quite agree!! I don't think we need to share the fine detail of the worst case scenario as if we get to that point then everyone would simply do what they needed to do and could manage or prioritise. It is far more likely that we will experience economic/financial repercussions which will impact on our ability to keep horses in the way we might choose to.

Yup, hence why I'm considering the garden/garage arrangement for mine.

Charley657

Visit site
If we do go to war, it is going to be a very different war to WW2. They are not going to need horses they have planes, bombs and soldiers in tanks etc. If there is a nuclear bomb dropped, obviously not good for those in the immediate area but those not near London should be okay. Food may be a bit scarce (Governments do have storage facilities for such issues but it will depend on how well it is functioning). The economy is going to be fooked for a while, probably our lifetime but it will get better again.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I suppose I'm the only one who immediately thought of eating mine ?

I think you may have some company...

My pony would be put down but if things got as bad as they potentially could people would have to accept their animals being put down by being shot as drugs would be in short supply.

Further, in extreme circumstances where food is very short and people are starving, I would allow my pony's body to be used for food.

Not something I would like to think having to happen but at least her death would be to some purpose.
I think one of mine would feed the local village for a month! She's from a French meat breed and takes good doer to an extreme.
I've got access to drugs at work that could, if necessary, put my family to sleep which is an AWFUL thought but better than the alternative of a slow death by radiation poisoning. I think I know where the farmer keeps his gun so I'd shoot the horses. If it wasn't as bad as that (not nuclear) I like to think my horse could actually make herself useful as a fetcher and carrier of things, message carrier etc but I think I'm being a bit fanciful there, she'd probably be better shot and eaten. All incredibly depressing really.
Im eating them

Reactions: TPO

Mule

Visit site
It's a consideration...
I don't think ours has that much meat on him now he's retired though ;)
The one that's still working is even older, and smaller so again not that many burgers to be had and possibly quite tough...
The shetland is only appetizer worthy. There's plenty of decent meat on the bigger ones :D

Snowfilly

Visit site
The shetland is only appetizer worthy. There's plenty of decent meat on the bigger ones :D

I don’t like fatty meat and the Shetland cross currently looks like a barrage balloon… I’ll swap you another appetiser for one with a bit of lean meat?

maggiestar

Visit site
I honestly think if there was a twenty minute warning it would be hard to think straight. It's optimistic to think you'll phone your livery yard and ask them to feed your horse some hay, as one person said, and that yard owner may well be busy saying their prayers or sorting out their own affairs anyway. All in all it's best not to worry about it because it's all out of our control. I'm just going to keep on as before (with maybe a little extra cheese and wine)