What have you forgotten to take to a show

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I once forgot my bridle but fortunately someone else from the yard arrived with it a bit later so I only missed my first class.

Some-one I knew who was grooming for a famous rider drove out from the yard with all the correct horses loaded onto the HGV only they had forgotten to put the ramp up.

I did that in my trailer. I was mortified!

Visit site
I once forgot my bridle but fortunately someone else from the yard arrived with it a bit later so I only missed my first class.

Some-one I knew who was grooming for a famous rider drove out from the yard with all the correct horses loaded onto the HGV only they had forgotten to put the ramp up.

One of the girls on the yard did that. Luckily just the 6 miles from one yard to the other but she drove through 2 towns and left the first yard with no one noticing! She had a full load of 6 horses too and whilst there were full back doors they would only have held so much weight of a horse leaning on them. I saw her arrive and went to help unload and managed to stop her reversing before she did more damage than just destroy the rubber block rests!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yep i also know someone who drove several miles down the main road with the ramp down. then wanted to borrow my lorry... like, i know mistakes happen but erm nope!

honetpot

Visit site
Someone I know forgot the pony. Mum and daughter going out and each thought the other had loaded it.
I used to have a check list and load everything I could the night before. The last things to go on were the horse and the bag with the passports , money, and human food. I think having show tack makes things easier, kept all in one place.

Fools Motto

Visit site
As a previous groom to a top rider, I forgot the dressage square (washed and ready but not in the lorry) and the stud kit which I had borrowed for my own, and didn't put it back (2 different occasions!) I had to go to the tack stall and buy another.
On a non horsey forgetful moment, I forgot my week old son when taking my toddler to preschool. I knew something was missing, but couldn't remember what it was, so walked out of the house, locked it up, and carried on walking for a good 5 mins before realising and doing a slightly panicky scuttle back. He was fast asleep and will never know he was forgotten lol

olop

Visit site
I forgot my hat once…..didn’t realise until we got there and the show was 40 miles from home, couldn’t compete I was gutted!

abbijay

Visit site
Not a show but I once got nearly 30 minutes down the road going to the beach (1 1/2 hrs away) before realising I didn't have my saddle. I had a long debate with myself about whether to turn back or not. Horse was a complete legend and I did a lot bareback anyway but the 2 horses we were meeting had never been to the beach before so i decided it was too risky.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Stirrups and leathers.. (and it was for a hunter trial so fairly necessary).

After that I always travelled with spare girth, bridle, leathers and irons.

I've lost count of the number of times I've lent girths to people. I got used to carrying an assortment of sizes :)

Starzaan

Visit site
I forgot the jockey once. Loaded up nine polo ponies and all their kit, and got to the polo club three hours away before I remembered I was supposed to wake the jockey up and bundle him into the truck when I left ?
Luckily he drove down and managed to play, but that would not have been a good day if he hadn’t woken up in time!!

dorsetladette

Visit site
Not quite the same as @Starzaan but my dad once 'forgot' me in the lap of honour in a lead rein class.

We'd won and qualified for ponies uk. He was so pleased he was cheering and waving to his friends on the side of the ring as we trotted round. I lost my stirrup and slipped off the side of my pony. He kept going and so did my saintly pony. I got up and ran after him shouting 'daddy, daddy, wait for me!!' A little embarrassing at the time, but a lovely memory now.

Alibear

Visit site
Once forgot bridle and once forgot girth, both when I was sharing my horse with my sister and ew both through the other had out it on. Thanksfully both times we manahed to borrow and make do.
More recently forgot my western saddle pad when we went to the forest for a hack with english friends. Thankfully friend has a very well stocked lorry so we made do with a selection of polly pads.

fetlock

Visit site
My jodhpurs once. Fortunately we lived about 3 miles from the showground so left the pony with a friend (with no time to actually tell her) and scarpered there and back in time for the class.

I also forgot my boots and hat for a hunter trial on another occasion so had to do it in normal show hat and hunter wellies.

EventingMum

Visit site
As a child, my friend and I were going to a show to "help" my dad who was riding. I had a sudden thought "Daddy, did you put york tack in?". Cue Dad using some words I wasn't familiar with and finding a layby to unhitch the trailer leaving me and my friend with the trailer and his horse while he belted back to get his tack!

My son has managed to forget his boots at one show but fortunately managed to borrow some and another time having driven about 5 hours for a few days training with a well-known trainer managed to forget his breeches! We always kept spare girths, stirrup leathers, stocks, ties etc etc in the lorry and have helped out many people over the years.

Spiritedly

Visit site
I have forgotten the pony once bit but before I got very far felt that the trailer didn't feel right and on checking realised pony wasn't on-board.
On another occasion I forgot my bridle but managed to borrow one from another competitor, unfortunately the only one that came close to fitting was a hackamore so I ended up doing a hunter trial with no brakes and very little steering once we'd got over the sixth fence.
I now have a tick list that has everything on it from horse to loo roll ?

claracanter

Visit site
Forgot my hat for a dressage test once. Went to withdraw but they very kindly offered me a skull cap which fitted but it didn’t have a hat silk. I felt I was riding around in the dunces hat, but it was my fault!

Also, forgot a bridle once but someone at the venue very kindly lent me one. Obviously a different bit, noseband and no martingale. It was for an eventer trial. I seriously thought about withdrawing thinking that riding in the wrong bridle was just too stressful but then I thought what the hell, I’ve nothing too lose( other than brakes and steering ……. Haha! So I manned up in the wrong tack and came 3rd.

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
Seen a few people drive off with their dog tied to the wheel arch when leaving the show with everyone yelling and dancing in front of them. think the ony thing I have forgotten has been the in hand head gear so had to show in a headcollar

kathantoinette

Visit site
A friend of mine once started to leave the yard she had been to for a lesson with the horse still TIED TO THE TRAILER ? Luckily she literally only moved a foot before half a dozen people started yelling at her to stop!

Chuffy99

Visit site
Yes I drove out of the driveway and about 2 miles down a narrow road moaning at the crazy milkman who was trying to pass me, hooting and flashing, when I stopped to turn onto main road he leapt out and banged on the door to say the ramp was down?

Pippity

Visit site
Yes I drove out of the driveway and about 2 miles down a narrow road moaning at the crazy milkman who was trying to pass me, hooting and flashing, when I stopped to turn onto main road he leapt out and banged on the door to say the ramp was down?

I think someone was probably moaning about me driving two miles down a narrow road, flashing at them and trying to safely overtake. I eventually gave up. I was trying to let them know their electrics were reversed so they were indicating the opposite of what they meant.

AnShanDan

Visit site
Years ago when my two eldest boys were about 9 and 12 we got to a pony club ode and found we only had with us the younger one's jods and shirt :eek:

Three disciplines x 2 kids = a lot of changes of clothes and for the older one a lot of squeezing into very tight garments.