What horse you dreamt of and what you actually ended up with...a bit of fun.

Ambers mum

Visit site
When I was younger I wanted a 14.2hh chestnut with a Blaze that could jump and win everything. It had to be flashy and lively...I bought myself a 18 month old filly, black, turning grey, to make 13.2hh and nothing like my dream. We were together 28 years as she was my soulmate lol. I only fell off her twice in all that time and decided greys weren't so bad. Lost her a year ago.

Skip forward to a few years back. Again I had my horse in my head, another Mony, grey, sensible, about 12 years old and about 13.2hh due to my short legs...along came Sovereign, nutty, 36! 14.3hh, chestnut, stripe, Arab x welsh, sold as 26 years as her owner was sold her as a 19 year old. Safe as houses, bombproof, but nuts with it. Lost her three years ago. Oh and I never fell over her when we went for a plod.

In 2011, dream horse was a YOUNG Sov, I found Amber...23, mild narcoleptic in the field, ex RDA, spooky as hell, fell off three times in three months due to spooking and bolting. I know she's younger but I was looking for a 12 year old lol! Wasn't the first horse I saw but was the first who said "I don't want to be a kids pony" so decided hacking and a little dressage was fine. I love this mare, know she's not going to last forever but somehow older horses and I love each other lol.

Hubby says I only pick the animals others don't want because I'm a born carer. I have a cat who was on deaths door when we found her, this was after saying To my girls NO CATS lol; a border collie with issues and who won't leave my sidE incase I leave her; a King Charles, who I only had because he was desperate for a home and needed long walks and less food because he resembled a huge pig. I have a section A who was so traumatised by people he has spent 17 years as a pet.

One day I will buy my 12 year old.....but it may only ave three legs or donkey ears...... Oh yeah my daughters have cracking ponies...I never buy them sad cases lol

Last edited:

Dizzleton

Visit site
When I was younger, I desperately wanted a Rocky Mountain Horse like this

Rocky_Mountain_Horse.jpg

As I grew older I had a 16hh hunter, then 16.1hh Ex-Racer and now I have a 17hh Belgian WB. I absolutely love Warmbloods for their versatility, looks, personality and charm. My next horse is going to be a Hanoverian colt, hopefully to make 17.2 :)

And this is my horse I have now :) Picture taken last night

ac4a4735-507e-4d7a-814a-e62a0cedb684.jpg

Last edited:

FionaM12

Visit site
I returned to horses after a nearly 35 year forced gap :( and had a dream...

I visualized myself hacking all over the countryside on a bombproof pal like my old horse I had when I was a teenager. I told everyone "Looks don't matter, it's temperament and safety I'm after". :rolleyes:

I ended up with Mollie, a beautiful bright bay aged mare who spooks at everything and has head-shaking issues. It turns out the poor girl had a terrible head injury years ago and has never quite recovered. :(

We do very little hacking, although we are getting a bit braver. But she's my pal now, and I won't be parting with her.

My dog's full of problems and wasn't what I was looking for either. :rolleyes:

And don't get me started on the men in my life... ;):D:D

niagaraduval

Visit site
When looking for a horse before buying my current one :

It HAD To be dappled grey, I didn't want anything else.
I wanted a 10 y/o a been there done that kind of thing for showjumping, hacks, bit of XC.
Around 15hh
Had to be a gelding

WHAT I ENDED UP WITH :

16.2hh 4 y/o off the track black french trotter !!
Atleast he was a gelding..

The exact opposite of everything that I wanted..

Ambers mum

Visit site
When I was younger, I desperately wanted a Rocky Mountain Horse like this

Rocky_Mountain_Horse.jpg

As I grew older I had a 16hh hunter, then 16.1hh Ex-Racer and now I have a 17hh Belgian WB. I absolutely love Warmbloods for their versatility, looks, personality and charm. My next horse is going to be a Hanoverian colt, hopefully to make 17.2 :)

And this is my horse I have now :) Picture taken last night

ac4a4735-507e-4d7a-814a-e62a0cedb684.jpg

Lol....he is handsome though x

tessybear

Visit site
wanted a piebald cob like the toy i had...

we got a piebald mare .... turned into two horses.... one skewbald foal and a piebald cob who cannot be ridden at the moment :rolleyes::D

saz5083

Visit site
When I was a kid I just wanted my own pony that I could go fast and jump things on, and that wasnt grey(loan pony was grey!)........I got a 2year old dark bay welsh D! We did eventually go fast and jump lots of things and he taught me heaps! Still have him 20 years later :D
Then I wanted a flashy bay sports horse type to event, either welsh D x tb or ISH......bought a 3year old coloured sports horse x. He was/is my horse of a lifetime. Evented, SJ'd and dressaged successfully although is now on 'rehab' following ongoing joint issue that ended his career. Again, still with me.
Finally went and bought my welsh D x tb who, apart from being ginger, is everything I ever wanted and will one day be a fab eventer. He is however currently a glorified lawnmower until he stops growing and will be backed next year.
Finally while having complete eventing withdrawl I bought a naughty little grey (!) 15.2 5yo connie x who I had been riding for someone else in the hope I will get to event for a few years before finding him a nice PC home.

So I now have 4, none of which fell in my dream horse catagory but all of whom I wouldnt swap for the world. I am very excited about the little youngster (and am more drawn to chestnuts now thanks to him!) and would have more like him all day long (even if he is a sharp little monster!). I still have a soft spot for a nice minimally marked coloured and like an amount of pony in my horses, but have realised that my ideal horse is more to do with personality than type and all of mine have a cheeky, bold and forward outlook on life.

scardycat

Visit site
After moving to the north west of scotland and once again having the space for a pony after 20 years without, I really, really wanted a mouse dun Highland pony, preferably in his teens. After discovering there really are very few ponies for sale in this neck of the woods I ended up with a piebald Irish 5 year old cob, really rather spooky and impossible to catch for the first few weeks I had him. After a year he is a very loving young lad, comes to call and fortunately far less spooky, couldn`t part with him now, he`s part of the family!

turkana

Visit site
After years of little hot heads I decided to get a nice laid back horse to have some laid back fun, so I bought a sharp, fiesty, little ex flat racer, who was a never ending bundle of energy.
I loved her to bits though, sadly I only had her for 2 years, as she managed to fatally injure herself in the field.

pigpony

Visit site
I wanted a big wb 4 -6yo to go up the levels in dressage....

I bought a 3yo unbacked 13.2hh welsh C. He's totally neurotic has serious ADHD and is the strangest pony I have ever met. I wouldn't change him for the world, he's been my rock since my wonderful old boy was PTS recently. He's being aimed at BD next year though, he's talented enough just have to harness his enthusiasm!

ImmyS

Visit site
I wanted a nice solid Irish draught cross about 8 years, good all rounder and grey. Something like this -

image-7_zps2985ebf3.jpg

I ended up coming home with a 5 year old, moody, obstinate ex racer mare that looked like this.

DSCF6418.jpg

She now looks more like this and is my horse of a lifetime - she's just tuned 6 -

image-7_zps4f83e07e.jpg

stargirl88

Visit site
I found an very old diary I had written when I was about 14 recently, and it said "one day I'll have my own flying chestnut horse" (on about one I'd been put on in the riding school.)

I read it after I'd just been flat out across a sunny field one evening on my chestnut hooligan mare. Felt a little tearful!

ReadySaltedPeanuts

Visit site
I dreamt of owning a chestnut warmbloody/thoroughbred type horse and do lots of showjumping etc.. (I was young!!!!) - Still dream of this now at 18.. :rolleyes:

Something like this:
diegonewstand2.jpg

Now I own these little beauties after giving up riding (Self confidence.):

Jack, a 6year old brown stallion:
picture.php

Peanut a yearling filly:

picture.php

And Coco a yearling gelding (Peanuts half brother, same sire):
picture.php

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I didn't realy have a dream horse as a child, I loved them all. As an adult we had a lovely mother daughter share, who then became Mummies hack when daughter outgrew her, more suitable for my daughter than me, though I love her dearly. When she retired 18 months ago I was finally in the position to look for a horse of my own.

I had in mind something 14.2 - 15.2, native cross or cob type (particularly like highland and fell types), 8-12 years, must be good to hack alone and in company and have been there done that so I can try some low level RC activities.

Anyhoo, I ended up with a just turned 4, 14hh piebald gelding - verrrrry green and verrry overweight. He has grown an inch in the 6 months I have had him so nearly into my height bracket now and has dropped over 120kilos. We have actually only had about 10 weeks riding together due to his ever changing saddle needs, so all things considered he is doing very well. I love him enormously and hope he will end up being everything I hope for.

mandwhy

Visit site
Awww RSP love the donkeys! I think you get the prize for person most deviated from original dream!

I wanted shantih the chestnut Arab (from the books but we also had one at the riding school I went to) or black beauty (original right) and ended up with a haffy and a welsh A... I do kind of feel like having a tiny pony is fulfilling my childhood dreams the most as I didn't get a horse til last year at 26 :)

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
I have never really liked bays.

I have never owned anything but bays.:D

But at least the mare I have now is pretty, PITA in some ways, but pretty. In fact I bought her because she was pretty. Also I was with my two un horsey daughters and they were "OMG, she looks like a my little pony and she has a long mane"

I should have bought one of the others, they were a much more sensible choice and you could tell that from the viewing just in the rough.

As you get older, I find you get less sensible about some things because you don't worry so much and realise that everything is more or less solvable.

leflynn

Visit site
When I started horse shopping i wanted a smaller version of my loan horse
about 15.2 or 15.3 coloured chunky IDxTB type or cobxTB
8-10 yrs old
gelding
had got a bit of experience under its belt and liked jumping

What I bought was:
a 4 yo bay ex racer (tb)
stood at about 15h (has grown to 15.2)
gelding
great racing expereince but no riding comp experience, likes jumping when in the mood but is mostly accident prone for the last 18 months

I have a share in the horse I looked for originally as that what we found for my OH - 15.3 cob (with a bit of TB in)
loves jumping
6 yo
gelding
coloured

Seems a perfect combo :D Both are lovely boys and I wouldn't swap them even though they try our patience at times ;)

Bex_X

Visit site
always wanted (still do) a dapple grey showjumper haha
tumblr_mgb849lxWQ1r8lgf4o1_500.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i ended up with 1 bay welsh section D who thinks hes a grade A/Racehorse haha

and a 14.1hh 26year old trotter X covered in big white scars brought from the auctions (because he looked sad) haha he is now missing a eye from when this picture was taken.

Last edited:

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I wanted a huge dark dapple grey arab stallion that was amazing at jumping and that could talk to me......definitely non-existent :p

I have a happy hacking Welsh Sec D. He's awesome, and I talk to him. Sadly he's not quite so chatty back :D

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I used to pretend to have a pure black horse and a pure white horse and ended up with this:
Beau-2.jpg

Well, I suppose I got both, just in one horse!

asommerville

Visit site
i too wanted shantih the chestnut arab :) my first horse was a bonkers coloured wb went i was looking for the nect i did not want a bay or a mare and came back with exactly that - shes amazing! still had her and wentlooking for another, i specifically wanted a bay mare, 5/6/7 id x tb. came back with a 3 yo chestnut arab x ID stallion.......he was quickly gelded! hes 6 now and just starting to grow up hes a darling and such a nice person!

Willeeckers

Visit site
As a child I dreamt of owning a bright bay with a star and a snip, I did loan two bay horses before going out and buying this.....

picture.php

who turned into this after 3years

picture.php

but did his best to put the dapples back on when he could!!! :D:D

picture.php

JulesRules

Visit site
I wanted:

something that was a bit different or unusual
something that could take my pony squishing weight
something I could go out and do a bit of local dressage and jumping
something that I could hack out

I ended up with exactly what I wanted :)

Here she is

picture.php

whisp&willow

Visit site
I just wanted a horse... didn't care what it was, I just longed for any horse I could get!

I remember I got a book for christmas "the complete guide to horse and pony care" I read it and re-read it I don't know how many times. There was a picture in it of what looked like a first ridden showing class. There was a girl who had a face like fizz on a beautiful black pony and I hated her. How dare she be so grumpy- she had a beautiful pony. spoiled brat! :p

Got a lovely surprise when I was 10/11, we all had to go out in the car, nobody knew where: we had gone to see a 2yo arab x. We still have her and she is still going strong at rising 19.

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
I wanted a big black cob with 4 white socks, big blaze. Long flowing mane and tail..... What I got (or more he found me) was a skinny chestnut tb with the tiniest star and a scrawny mane and tail.... Hmmm O:)

Ah well almost 7 years on I wouldnt change him :)

tazzy69

Visit site
Since being a child I've always had a thing about Haflingers. My dream was to ride a Haflinger in the snow. Ended up with a tri-coloured 13.3 cob, but achieved my dream in December on holiday in Austria when I rode a Haffie through a forrest and lots of snow!